PDA

View Full Version : Harps away, can we keep the streak alive?

outspoken
06/10/2011, 6:04 PM
On Saturday night we travel to Finn Park to take on Harps a game which wont be easy but one I for one am very confident about. We havent lost to the Donegal men yet this season so it would be fantastic to win every league game against them after the years of hardship we had up there.

Will be interesting to see how TC lines the boys up with Gillespie suspended I think he might slot James O'Brien alongside Salmo after O'Brien had a stunning game against Waterford and just go for it with 2 men up front, probably Aussie and Jean but Purdy did no harm to his chances on Saturday night either so maybe Aussie and Purdy? who knows.

Anyway should be a good tough game, another great test for us and a massive games in terms of 5th and as the match preview in the leader said hopefully its not as niggly as past affairs this season.

nigel-harps1954
06/10/2011, 6:24 PM
Many of you coming up for this? Longford is our new favourite team after your lady reporter branded us all thugs. That was great craic. Hope she's back.

Longfordian
06/10/2011, 6:31 PM
I'm sure there'll be a few car loads up wouldn't think there'll be much more than that. Officially anyway. Our firm will be travelling incognito hoping for a repeat of their destruction of the Harpies last time around. As for the game it'll be tight wouldn't be surprised to see a draw, 0-0, 1-1 maybe.

Martinho II
06/10/2011, 7:36 PM
Many of you coming up for this? Longford is our new favourite team after your lady reporter branded us all thugs. That was great craic. Hope she's back.

me and outspoken will be sharing a lift up.. massop10 will also be up too.. dont think the crowd would be as big as the cup match.. sorry to disappoint you nigel but your girlfriend wont be comin up! you must have scared her off!!:eek:

outspoken
07/10/2011, 7:13 AM
Around 20 of us I'd say.

nigel-harps1954
07/10/2011, 1:57 PM
me and outspoken will be sharing a lift up.. massop10 will also be up too.. dont think the crowd would be as big as the cup match.. sorry to disappoint you nigel but your girlfriend wont be comin up! you must have scared her off!!:eek:

Ah maximum pity. Was looking forward to seeing her and having a friendly chat and big hugs.

Be good to have a few folk up alright, been a couple of half decent games in Finn Park and Flancare this year. Hope the trend continues although hoping the result is in favour of Harps this time ;P

outspoken
07/10/2011, 3:28 PM
Ah maximum pity. Was looking forward to seeing her and having a friendly chat and big hugs.

Be good to have a few folk up alright, been a couple of half decent games in Finn Park and Flancare this year. Hope the trend continues although hoping the result is in favour of Harps this time ;P

Ye its become my favorite rivalry of the season :) Salmo scoring that peno in the cup was such an amazing feeling and the 3-2 down in Flancare was the best game of LOI footie I think I ever saw.

Hows your attendances this season anyway Nigel-Harps? One great thing I noticed about Finn Park is the unreal amount of youngsters about the place, great to see, something that I dont see in flancare its very worrying, every club needs new faces for the future.

Mr A
07/10/2011, 3:38 PM
The problem is they all leave as soon as secondary school is done :( Crowds have held up ok considering we've had nothing to play for since so early in the season.

Harps missing a lot of players for this game, it'll be tough for us.

Tallanted
08/10/2011, 12:34 PM
Sammo missed that peno in the cup ;-)

outspoken
08/10/2011, 2:54 PM
Was waiting for that lol

Longfordian
08/10/2011, 3:27 PM
Radio commentary will be available here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/finn-harps-radio

Longfordian
08/10/2011, 9:28 PM
Get in! Delighted with that win, especially with Waterford winning. Salmo does the business again. Player of the year? Can't see who else deserves it more for the whole season.

Tallanted
08/10/2011, 10:18 PM
Champions of the Midlands for another season!

Longfordian
08/10/2011, 10:47 PM
Always a nice bonus!

outspoken
09/10/2011, 11:48 AM
Another fantastic performance from the lads on what was an awful night for football and on what was a mud bath of a pitch, you'd want to see Aussies jersey haha.

Alvin was fantastic in goals again he held everything despite the awful conditions and everyone at the game will tell you hylo was motm!

Our first goal came from a tommo cross which the keeper dropped over the line, we didn't know wheter it was in or not which lead to a very slow celebration lol, harps equalizer was the only down side to the night as our entire back 4 just stood and switched off leaving harps with a 1 on 1 which alvin did his very best to save but to no avail.

The winner was something else and again it was salmo who had the final sag in ballybofey. We were awarded an indirect free kick for a back pass which the locals were far from happy about but I think the ref got it right anyway harps put every man on the line and Aussie teed up salmo who some how squeezed into the inside side netting it was eye of the needle stuff to say the least.

Harps probably should have had a penalty before that but listen how many times have we been robbed this season, the officials were dirt poor for both sides.

We deserved our win 1000% we had the far better chances and apart from the goal our back 4 + GK looked brilliantly solid. Flood was fantasic yet again as was Gaz Cronnin.

Dotsy was absoutely brilliant yet again as was Crawley, it's fantastic for us to have such threat down both flanks.

Jean ran his balls off yet again and eventually had to come off with cramp, he could of and should have had his first goal last night but his header got stuck in the mud, yes the pitch was that bad!

Aussie was his colorful self as ever and played a key role. So all in all a fantastic performance and fantastic win especially with Waterford winning against Shels on the night.

Acornvilla
09/10/2011, 11:55 AM
Now to beat salthill!

not often we have a shot at 3 wins in a row

outspoken
09/10/2011, 11:59 AM
Now to beat salthill!

not often we have a shot at 3 wins in a row

Well actually I was just thinking last night that this season we have had quite a few of these little 3 in a row sequnces for the first time since we probably went down, in fact I'm going to take a look into that. Anyway it's also a chance to bream the 40 point barrier which would be fantastic for our progress and it would probably seal us 5th spot which is no less than we deserve.

Casperian
09/10/2011, 4:20 PM
As far as i know Nigel-harps1954 our lady reporter as you called her did NOT call harps fans thugs as i was at that game! There was a bit of banter from BOTH sides but at no time do i remember her branding your supporters thugs. To be honest this is all in the past but i just felt it was unfair that she was being accused of this. Was a good game last night despite the conditions and thought it was a fitting end to the Longford Town, Finn Harps rivialry in Finn Park! :) Looking forward to seeing the new stadium next season!

Martinho II
09/10/2011, 7:17 PM
btw nigel I was right beside the lady reporter and nothing was said at all in that game so hard luck.she wouldnt want her career compromised by doing stuff like this plus I know her eleven years and she would not do anything of the sort. see you next season.

nigel-harps1954
09/10/2011, 9:18 PM
Hard to argue you weren't worth your win, but by jesus that was a shockingly poor match. Both teams were absolutely terrible I though although yourselves were slightly the better. 2 bad mistakes from Ciaran Gallagher who in fairness has had a fairly good season for a still very inexperienced keeper.

outspoken
09/10/2011, 10:23 PM
Hard to argue you weren't worth your win, but by jesus that was a shockingly poor match. Both teams were absolutely terrible I though although yourselves were slightly the better. 2 bad mistakes from Ciaran Gallagher who in fairness has had a fairly good season for a still very inexperienced keeper.

sure what would you expect in weather conditions like that! Pitch was a mud bath too. We were the much better team in terms of chances and meaningful possesion so no complaints about the result, ye were far from happy with the ref and I will say ye should have had a peno 100% but I think he got the back pass call right simply because gallagher shaped to take it on the chest and changed his mind despite no town player been near him (jean was on the floor) so ye like you said lack of experience. Anyway we've been robbed so many times we deserve a dew decisions! Btw send my complaments to the lady in the shop for the home made soup it beats the mon dog every day of the week!

nigel-harps1954
10/10/2011, 12:40 AM
Ah yeah I agree and have absolutely no complaints about the back pass. Was waiting for him to head the ball to be honest and was surprised to see him catch it although at the end of the day it could be argued whether it was actually a back pass or not.
Pitch was in shocking condition alright but the weather has been terrible up here last while so didn't expect much of a pitch condition.

The soup is absolutely fantastic alright, the unsung hero of the LOI.

L.T.F.C.
10/10/2011, 5:50 PM
Didn't he play for us?

Longfordian
10/10/2011, 7:22 PM
No, that was Neil Gallagher. Louth GAA keeper now I think.

outspoken
10/10/2011, 8:13 PM
No, that was Neil Gallagher. Louth GAA keeper now I think.

Ye, he lined out against another former town keeper Brendan Murphy in the infamous 2010 Leinster final, had a bit of promise about him.

nigel-harps1954
10/10/2011, 11:28 PM
Ciaran is a Donegal lad, still only 19. Harps man all his life too. Big future ahead of him.

outspoken
11/10/2011, 8:40 AM
Ciaran is a Donegal lad, still only 19. Harps man all his life too. Big future ahead of him.

Ye he is a good prospect that experience on Saturday will do him the world of good, he will have taken note of how our keeper dealt with the conditions I'm sure :)