PDA

View Full Version : Sligo attendance row

Sean South
01/10/2011, 5:37 PM
Rugby is overtaking soccer in the City and with Connacht now being in the Heineken Cup will only grow stronger to the detriment of all strands of soccer in Galway. Their is a thread here about the future of the league after the last 2 weeks I despair for the future as common sense is gone out the window and unless we all work together we are goosed.

Don't know what planet you're on... Galway was never and will never be a football town. The place is full of blow ins, roasters, and crusties all of who just jump on what every bandwagon is going. The gah, rugger, and even you lot for a short while all get their moment.

gufct
02/10/2011, 9:23 AM
Don't know what planet you're on... Galway was never and will never be a football town. The place is full of blow ins, roasters, and crusties all of who just jump on what every bandwagon is going. The gah, rugger, and even you lot for a short while all get their moment.

Now that makes me smile .Limerick hasnt been a loi town for nearly 25 yrs and your support has been abysmal .Even with a sugar daddy now ye are still struggling to get get in the top three and yere attendances are hardly setting the world alight.

We are trying to rebuild a club after 5 years of mismanagment and with the fans at the helm. Its not going to happen overnight and none of us know whether we will be succesful at it but it wont be for lack of effort.

gael353
02/10/2011, 12:03 PM
Now that makes me smile .Limerick hasnt been a loi town for nearly 25 yrs and your support has been abysmal .Even with a sugar daddy now ye are still struggling to get get in the top three and yere attendances are hardly setting the world alight.

We are trying to rebuild a club after 5 years of mismanagment and with the fans at the helm. Its not going to happen overnight and none of us know whether we will be succesful at it but it wont be for lack of effort.
ill excuse your ignorance

Jofspring
02/10/2011, 12:12 PM

We've been rebuilding a club for the last 5 years that for about 15 years previous had been mismanaged. We have not
had the extra attraction of playing in the premier to help us. The only reason we have a "sugar daddy" as you call him now is because of the hard work that was put in over the last number of years to try get the structures right and try get more professional off the field. I love the way everyone thinks overnight Limerick just suddenly became more stable.

I agree though that Limerick probably isn't a LOI town but Name one club in the country that could spend more than 4 or 5 years in the first division and sustain crowds of over maybe 800-900, I'd say none.

On the Mervue match, we had about 70 on the side we where on and Mervue had about 100 to 150. The only way they had anywhere near the attendance mentioned was if there was a few hundred in their clubhouse.

Sean South
02/10/2011, 2:49 PM
I agree though that Limerick probably isn't a LOI town but Name one club in the country that could spend more than 4 or 5 years in the first division and sustain crowds of over maybe 800-900, I'd say none.

Sligo.

Jofspring
02/10/2011, 3:19 PM
Sligo.

How long where Sligo in the first division and what kind of numbers did they have regularly?

edit: 5 years was their longest run but attendances?

Lim till i die
02/10/2011, 5:02 PM

That joke shop you're all trying to desperately pull out of the fire up there has done alright out of Limerick and our "sugar daddy" in the last eighteen months.

Think before you fire your toys around on the internet.

Sligo.

I remember the mighty Sligo bringing 2 (two) fans to Pike Rovers for an end of season game when they were struggling in the First Division.

Couple of years later they brought 100 to Rathbane when they were going well.

Swings and roundabouts.

SEVENTEEN unbroken years the city of Limerick has been represented in the First Division, always playing in the worst ground in the country, be it Pike, Rathbane or Jackman.

No other town or cities experienced it so meh.

If Limerick have a "sugar daddy" now, it's the result of some bloody hard work done off the field in the last two or three years.

So you know where I'd like ye all to stick the oul lectures. :ball:

Rasputin
02/10/2011, 5:40 PM
I remember the mighty Sligo bringing 2 (two) fans to Pike Rovers for an end of season game when they were struggling in the First Division.
Neither poster claimed we were bringing hundreds to away games so that point is fairly irrelevant.
The darkest period of our stay in the first division, in the 4th season when Don O'Riordan was finally given the bullet I think crowds were averageing about 700 or so.

As for the Galway game, would have said 2500.
We are never going to average over 2500 in the medium term unless there is a colossaul change in Irish football because we simply dont have the population centre, the town is only about 20000-25000.

Lim till i die
02/10/2011, 5:56 PM
The darkest period of our stay in the first division, in the 4th season when Don O'Riordan

A full thirteen years short of a seventeen year stint.

Good stuff. I WASN'T HAVING A POP OFF Sligo. I wouldn't dream of it, I know there's hundreds of them on here. Was just pointing out, for those that need it pointed out to them, that teams that do well tend to have larger crowds than teams that don't do well. Was only in The Showgrounds twice so the away games were an easier comparison.

Limerick, as a city, hasn't done well at senior soccer for a generation, with the team togging out in various hovels. Therefore..... well we can all figure it out.

We are never going to average over 2500 in the medium term unless there is a colossaul change in Irish football because we simply dont have the population centre, the town is only about 20000-25000

Never going to average much more no matter what happens I'd say.

Easily (along with Dundalk) the best supported club in the country.

For various reasons, not because you're all special or anything. ;)

Rasputin
02/10/2011, 7:53 PM
A full thirteen years short of a seventeen year stint.

Good stuff. I WASN'T HAVING A POP OFF Sligo. I wouldn't dream of it, I know there's hundreds of them on here. Was just pointing out, for those that need it pointed out to them, that teams that do well tend to have larger crowds than teams that don't do well. Was only in The Showgrounds twice so the away games were an easier comparison.

Limerick, as a city, hasn't done well at senior soccer for a generation, with the team togging out in various hovels. Therefore..... well we can all figure it out.
Nothing there I disagree with, it would be pure fantasy to suggest the 700 or so brave souls enduring Don O'Riordans muck would all still be there in another 13 years in the graveyard.
Being in the first division per se isnt always going to murder your crowds, an exception would be a promotion season but its been a long time since Limerick has had a real chance of promotion.
Hence why I dont buy the whole rising from the ash's fairly tail story Shams have crafted over the past few seasons, 1 season in the first division is easy, a club surviving over a pro-longed period in the first division is quite the opposite.

nigel-harps1954
03/10/2011, 1:09 PM
Boll**ks. Sligo never had crowds of 700 when they were struggling to get out of the first division. Never had more than 300 or 400 at games tops. Remember Harps fans going down there every season outnumbering Sligos home crowd. Disagree if you wish Sligo fans, but it is most definitely the case as I'm sure any Harps fans on here will back up.

dong
03/10/2011, 1:29 PM
Boll**ks. Sligo never had crowds of 700 when they were struggling to get out of the first division. Never had more than 300 or 400 at games tops. Remember Harps fans going down there every season outnumbering Sligos home crowd. Disagree if you wish Sligo fans, but it is most definitely the case as I'm sure any Harps fans on here will back up.
I would say you are on the money but it's of little relevance to us now as we challenge for the league and cup and those crowds are a distant memory for us but a reality for yourselves.

nigel-harps1954
03/10/2011, 2:06 PM
I would say you are on the money but it's of little relevance to us now as we challenge for the league and cup and those crowds are a distant memory for us but a reality for yourselves.

Spot on, it's irrevelant either way.

red bellied
03/10/2011, 2:12 PM
Harps never outnumbered Rovers in the Showgrounds, they brought on average when pushing for promtion of about 300, although on one occasion brought 500 or 600 and no way was there only 300 or 400 in the home support. 700 or 800 was the average during O Riordans era, crowds would be decent for the start of the season thinking this would be the year and dip accorrdingly due to the teams form. Some crowds would of been 400 or 500 but never against Harps.

Rasputin
03/10/2011, 3:07 PM
Ahh ya good man yourself.
Like I said around 700 during the darkest days and ya nice story about Harps fans outnumbering the home support, your good craic.

shellyriver
03/10/2011, 7:14 PM
I do recall attending Finn Park last FAI and Sligo fans outnumbered a tragic number of Harps supporters. Harps fans outnumbered Rovers in the Showgies? -- you must have banged your headed walking in and seen triple vision.

redarmyfaction
05/10/2011, 1:16 AM
Harps never outnumbered Rovers in the Showgrounds, they brought on average when pushing for promtion of about 300, although on one occasion brought 500 or 600 and no way was there only 300 or 400 in the home support. 700 or 800 was the average during O Riordans era, crowds would be decent for the start of the season thinking this would be the year and dip accorrdingly due to the teams form. Some crowds would of been 400 or 500 but never against Harps.

Take it from one that knows, Red Bells is right, the only team whoever outnumbered the home support in the Showgs were Derry, TBH we saw so few Harps fans over the years I used to forget what colours they Played in.

TBH the only clubs with any meaningful constant support in the LOI in Sligo over the last 40 years are Bohs, Corks, Derry, Dundalk, Pats, Shels and Shams, the rest had their days and faded.

Lim till i die
05/10/2011, 1:21 AM
, TBH we saw so few Harps fans over the years I used to forget what colours they Played in.

Could have looked at the pitch tbf. ;)

I think that says everything that needs to be said about where we should be.

Ugh, it's back. :) :bulgy:

S.E.P.1990
05/10/2011, 12:44 PM
Turners Cross.

Tuesday night.

First Division.

Opposition: Monaghan United.

Attendance.

I think that says everything that needs to be said about where we should be.

Nope it says you have a loyal following in a city where there are no other teams. Results will dictate were you should be. It must be very exciting to be on the verge of promotion after only 2 years of existence.... ;)

nigel-harps1954
05/10/2011, 6:43 PM
Take it from one that knows, Red Bells is right, the only team whoever outnumbered the home support in the Showgs were Derry, TBH we saw so few Harps fans over the years I used to forget what colours they Played in.

TBH the only clubs with any meaningful constant support in the LOI in Sligo over the last 40 years are Bohs, Corks, Derry, Dundalk, Pats, Shels and Shams, the rest had their days and faded.

Hah! That really did make me laugh. Very very much. In first division matches through the early 00's and late 90's in Sligo v Harps, I never saw less than 200 Harps fans travel down. If you say otherwise you sir, are a fool. Seriously, your statement about so little Harps fans really is hilariously off the mark.

redarmyfaction
05/10/2011, 10:01 PM
Hah! That really did make me laugh. Very very much. In first division matches through the early 00's and late 90's in Sligo v Harps, I never saw less than 200 Harps fans travel down. If you say otherwise you sir, are a fool. Seriously, your statement about so little Harps fans really is hilariously off the mark.
I was talking about the last 40 years not, but you are right a couple of hundred came a couple of seasons.

shellyriver
05/10/2011, 10:28 PM

Give it a rest dear boy. First you said Harps fans outnumbered Sligo fans in their home patch. Now you say 200 Harps fans travelled into Connaught...never has there been such a ****-poor figure re home attendance -- even in the bleakiest of times.

Its all a little tiresome. Looking forward to Harps getting back to its 1970s glory days and big attendances, don't worry with Bundie and Ballyshanny by-passed you'd get a good turnout.

nigel-harps1954
06/10/2011, 12:33 AM
I'm slowly starting to sympathise with Shamrock Rovers fans over Sligo fans.

dfx-
06/10/2011, 1:00 AM

This is a good sign

srfc1928
06/10/2011, 9:12 AM
Thank God for that, doubt a donegal man ever sympatised with a neighboring county in his life.

BonnieShels
06/10/2011, 11:59 AM
Thank God for that, doubt a donegal man ever sympatised with a neighboring county in his life.

Another man doubting the existence of Leitrim. I tell ya. This is gaining traction.

Rasputin
06/10/2011, 12:29 PM
Indeed, when you have contradicted yourself then you throw out that card.
Im still waiting for all these other Harps fans to come on and back up your raveings, or even a single video or article or photograph to validate your arguement that Harps fans outnumbered the home support in the Showgies on a regular basis, I remember Harps bringing some large crowds back then but not once did they outnumber the home support.

El-Pietro
06/10/2011, 12:43 PM
Another man doubting the existence of Leitrim. I tell ya. This is gaining traction.
nah its real, we couldnl't believe it either, but it exists, and we stopped there for a pint going to and coming back from Donegal this year. smallest coastline of any couty with a coastline dontchaknow!

shellyriver
06/10/2011, 2:50 PM

I've had your number a while a go, your non-stop anti-Sligo bile is completely apparent from any of your posts.

Equally, obvious is your mindset, being just like your county's GAA style, boring, repetitive and slowly congesting to the point of constipation.

Looking forward to that much vaunted big redevelopment of Finn Park to cater for the swelling legions of Finn Harps fans. LOL

BonnieShels
06/10/2011, 3:06 PM
nah its real, we couldnl't believe it either, but it exists, and we stopped there for a pint going to and coming back from Donegal this year. smallest coastline of any couty with a coastline dontchaknow!

Not true. Armagh in fact holds that distinction, believe it or not.

nigel-harps1954
06/10/2011, 4:03 PM
or even a single video or article or photograph to validate your arguement

I could say the same to you. No unfortunately I cannot give you a video, I can't find any videos from Showgrounds from the time I was talking about.

I've had your number a while a go, your non-stop anti-Sligo bile is completely apparent from any of your posts.

Equally, obvious is your mindset, being just like your county's GAA style, boring, repetitive and slowly congesting to the point of constipation.

Looking forward to that much vaunted big redevelopment of Finn Park to cater for the swelling legions of Finn Harps fans. LOL

Really, I have no idea what you're talking about. `
Oh, and we're not redeveloping Finn Park.

I'm fed up with this petty argument, no it's not me backing down, I still know what I said is perfectly true. Yes I love winding up Sligo fans, as does everyone I believe.

And for the record. I couldn't care less if Donegal were the most boring side in the history of the GAA or not.

shellyriver
06/10/2011, 4:17 PM
Off thread somewhat, but what's happening at the new Finn Park?

There will be I hear 6,800 max capacity...there will be a definite sell-out of Donegal fans...ready for when wee Daniel will have a mo-fo of a final farewell gig when it eventually opens...Blue Moon there's a kettle on the boil...LOL

Rasputin
06/10/2011, 4:35 PM
I could say the same to you. No unfortunately I cannot give you a video, I can't find any videos from Showgrounds from the time I was talking about.
The difference being that there are numerous posters here confirming what I am saying and not one, NOT ONE confirming your raveings.
Its not so much winding us up as just making an absolute clown of yourself.