PDA

View Full Version : The Doors..of the 21st century

Countyman
13/07/2004, 8:12 AM
Saw them last night in the point. Brilliant show.
Although Jim is irreplacable Astbury did a great job filling in without being OTT.
Manzerek and Kreiger were magic also.
Great crowd there. Whatever you say about old bands getting together again I'm at least glad to see half of the real doors live in my lifetime.
Great gig..anyone else there?

Very funny incident at the bar. Dutch fella goes up to the barman and says
"I want my first pint of guinness in ireland please"
Barman looks at me and laughs..."Jaysus mate, your in the wrong place"
I broke my heart laughing. Poor sod.
5 quid a pint in a plastic glass. I'd say it was his first and last pint of guinness in ireland.

Macy
13/07/2004, 8:38 AM
Didn't go to the Doors, although mates have raved about the music/spoken word show Ray Manzarek did a few years ago.

Only reformed band I've gone specifically to see was The Who about 5 years when they were doing Quadrophenia (Scene's on big Screen, Billy Idol as Bell Boy) which I have to say was brilliant. My kid brother went to see them this year and said they were excellent, although at least I say 3 of the original 4!

Other main one was the Undertones, who I saw at the Trinity Ball a while back. Class way to, erm, start to get in the party buzz ;) up at the barrier when Teenage Kicks kicks in.....

At one of the Lids festivals a few years ago saw a few oldies who could still cut it. Iggy Pop was the most Rock N Roll act there the whole weekend (starting on secruity, trying to start a stage invasion etc), and James Brown was still a quality showman.

Although the Stones are one of my favourite bands ever, always resisted going to see them - when time machines come out I'm straight back to 74 to see them though...

joeSoap
13/07/2004, 9:59 AM
excellent gig....Astbury was far better than I expected...brilliant.
Heard somewhere that they actually approached Val Kilmer before Astbury but he declined. Apparently he really sang everything himself in the movie and everyone was hugely impressed.