PDA

View Full Version : New City Players

Shelsman
12/07/2004, 4:54 PM
Who would you like to see City sign? I would like to see them strengthen their squad asap so that they can keep their current squad together as long as possible, in this way, getting good results in Europe could become a reality every season.

I would like to see them sign someone like Kevin McHugh ( If he'd go -he's wasted in the First Division ), or Eamonn Zayeed.

One of the most important things City must do is ensure all their best players are tied down with long term contracts, losing someone like JOF would be a serious blow.

I have to say that seeing someone like Billy Woods on the bench yesterday was fantastic in that you knew that Dolan had an ace up his sleeve. Of course not playing a player like Billy is nearly a crime in itself as he's one of the best left wingers in the league, but, the fact that City had someone like that ready to come on was great. I think they can strengthen further and bring in a good striker.

Éanna
12/07/2004, 5:22 PM
I don't think there's any player in this league who could improve our squad bar maybe Hunt, J Byrne or Ndo, and I couldn't even see them walking into the team straight away.

Dodge
12/07/2004, 5:26 PM
I don't think there's any player in this league who could improve our squad bar maybe Hunt, J Byrne or Ndo, and I couldn't even see them walking into the team straight away.
Honestly? you think you defence is up to scratch? Or your left side?

Anyway Ndo isn't even our best midfielder, never mind best in the league

Éanna
12/07/2004, 5:37 PM
I was just thinking about the team as a whole:
Mick Devine is one of the best keepers in the league, and is on very good form.
Cillian Lordan is playing excellently at right back (and we have Greg and Hoggy as well) Dan Murray and Benno are blossoming as a partnership right now, and Lordan or Byrne can fill in there if necessary. Danny Murphy is the best left back I've ever seen in the league- Billy Woods and Byrne both potential back ups as well.
In midfield, Colin T and George are doing superbly together, Greg and Nwankwo are both decent back-ups. Right wing, Doyler is playing very well and Billy Woods can come in if necessary. Left wing, Kearney is doing excellently lately, while both Nwankwo and Woods can play there too.

Up front, Fenn and Flynn are doing very well as a partnership lately, Doyle can switch up front and Steve O'Flynn and Behan are both very handy options to have on the bench.

Best think about this european run is that it seems to have gelled the team together, and the partnerships around the pitch are really working well.

Éanna
12/07/2004, 5:47 PM
i had actually! yet another option in midfield

Counting Crow
12/07/2004, 9:55 PM
While its hard to argue with any of the above at the moment we have one hell of a test on the 30th of July when we face Waaaaaaaterford at home in our first league game in 6 weeks.

But get this .....

we'll be without the services of

Georgie, Captain Dan and the Cockney Rebel. All suspended for picking up yellow cards.

Back ups would most likely be:

Gamble, Byrne and Woodsie but this will really test us as a squad.

thecorner
12/07/2004, 11:18 PM
While its hard to argue with any of the above at the moment we have one hell of a test on the 30th of July when we face Waaaaaaaterford at home in our first league game in 6 weeks.

waaaaaaaaaaaterford game postponed. city will be playing the first leg semi final that weekend :D

southside bohs
13/07/2004, 2:30 AM

B0ll0x - Hunt is the greatest player in this league by miles and don't say he aint!

He would walk into anyside in this country. IF cork got him they would win the league cos they would have a great defence a great midfield and a great strike force, all cork are missing at the moment is someone in midfield who can keep things solid and that player is hunt.

But in saying that he wont leave bohs :p .

Don't let this european adventure go to your head as you seem to forget that what will come out of your success is that the league standards are much higher than most people think.

eastcork
13/07/2004, 6:40 AM
all cork are missing at the moment is someone in midfield who can keep things solid and that player is hunt.

We have Colin O'Brien who at the moment is every bit as good as Hunt if not better. He is playing outstanding football.

NorthoftheLee
13/07/2004, 8:30 AM
lads Hunt is still the best midfielder in teh country but this season Colin is seriously pushing him close. I'd sign Hunt up in a second.

thecorner
13/07/2004, 9:10 AM
I'd sign Hunt up in a second.

last night that would have been the feeling but now we dont need him

georgie and colin are awesome and after setting up a great partnership.

colin,player of the season so far

back up in the form of nwanko,gamble and greg

bohs can keep hunt now

corkharps
13/07/2004, 9:26 AM
Who would you like to see City sign? I would like to see them strengthen their squad asap so that they can keep their current squad together as long as possible, in this way, getting good results in Europe could become a reality every season.

I would like to see them sign someone like Kevin McHugh ( If he'd go -he's wasted in the First Division ), or Eamonn Zayeed.

One of the most important things City must do is ensure all their best players are tied down with long term contracts, losing someone like JOF would be a serious blow.

I have to say that seeing someone like Billy Woods on the bench yesterday was fantastic in that you knew that Dolan had an ace up his sleeve. Of course not playing a player like Billy is nearly a crime in itself as he's one of the best left wingers in the league, but, the fact that City had someone like that ready to come on was great. I think they can strengthen further and bring in a good striker.

Hopefully McQ won't be in the First Division after this season! Derry were offering him silly money but he won't leave Harps,although Aston Villa had him over for a few weeks.He is not scoring as many this season,but has a new striking partner Chris Breen(18) who is knocking them in.Remember that name!BTW the last player you bought from Harps was James Mulligan.What was the story with him being released?(or can it be printed on a public forum?)

Roo69
13/07/2004, 10:14 AM
lads Hunt is still the best midfielder in teh country but this season Colin is seriously pushing him close. I'd sign Hunt up in a second.

Hunt is class, but dare i say it on a cork board ? :eek: but Renylods is superb as well, he had Hunt in his back pocket for most of the game last week.

Someone also mentioned Zayed :confused: why ? Lazy sod ! does nothing for the "TEAM" and is only interested in achiving his "OWN" personal goals, wouldnt be a massive loss to Bray, We have Tarzan, Grogan - best player is the 1st division by a mile by the way, Foxy and Flood to do the biz anyway

tiktok
13/07/2004, 10:29 AM
Hunt is class, but dare i say it on a cork board ? :eek: but Renylods is superb as well

I'd agree Roo69, Reynolds is an excellent player and in the season where we introduced John O'Flynn and Georgie I thought he was our best player during that campaign, and last season he was a huge loss to us, and the lack of that physical presence in midfield is probably why we didn't do better.

Luckily, this season Colin O'Brien has been excellent so despite our early concerns, we're doing well in CM, the problem is still the lack of cover though.

pete
13/07/2004, 10:48 AM
I think we are still weak in backup for central defense. Numerous league options there. With addition of Gamble no real need for midfield players & loads of attacking players to pick from.

Players that didn't play on sunday - Horgan, Billy Woods, Gamble, Nwanko, Steve O'Flynn...

Aside from central defense no need to bring players in unless they will improve on existing first team. No need to bring in players for them to sit on the bench when thats what promising young players should be used for.

1 9 8 4
13/07/2004, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=pete]

Players that didn't play on sunday - Horgan

QUOTE]

When will Hoggy be back from injury?

NorthoftheLee
13/07/2004, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=pete]
Players that didn't play on sunday - Horgan, Billy Woods, Gamble, Nwanko, Steve O'Flynn...
[QUOTE]

thats a nice looking bench there...shows the improvements that we have made in the squad. add in greg, mucka, nults & behan and our base 20 is very strong indeed

adamcarr
13/07/2004, 12:14 PM
When will Hoggy be back from injury?
He is back in full training, He is just lacking fitness!

Real ale Madrid
13/07/2004, 2:09 PM
If we are serious about challenging for the title we need to sign about 4/5 more players - Colin T has done well in europe as has Kearney but neither of those two have done well in the league yet - what happens if one of our centre halves gets injured? What happens if Michael Devine gets injured - and with the amount of games played you cant pick the same team all the time we need more players if we are to be a serious outfit in the long run.

Now in fariness we have stephen O'Flynn and Joe Gamble waiting in the wings - those two are going to have massive careers hopefully for us.

I think some people are getting carried away with this great intertoto adventure. The leauge is not like the intertoto cup and requires strength and depth - how many players have played in the 4 intertoto cup games?

Peadar
13/07/2004, 2:24 PM
If we are serious about challenging for the title we need to sign about 4/5 more players

I think you need to have a good look at our squad and revise your opinion.
You should see that we have cover for every position and fairly good cover at that. To give you an example, we have Nwankwo, Greg, Billy and Joe Gamble who could replace the 4 in the centre of the park.
Behan and a returning Stephen O'Flynn up front.
The defence could be patched up as well with Greg and Billy both able to drop back and Kevin Murray available for either role.
I'm just skimming the surface here.

Colm
13/07/2004, 2:32 PM
Colin T has done well in europe as has Kearney but neither of those two have done well in the league yet

What the fcuk? :confused:
Colin T has been one of our best players all season.

A face
13/07/2004, 7:40 PM
What happens if Michael Devine gets injured

McNulty is a great keeper ... has done very well at City without getting onto the first team ... the guy is brilliant ... it is suprising he has stayed with us so long with Devine and Mooney in front of him. We are sorted in that dept. so no worries there.