PDA

View Full Version : U21s Squad V Liechtenstein 11/10

Closed Account
27/09/2011, 5:05 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102091:king-names-u21-squad-for-liechtenstein-qualifier&catid=3:under-21&Itemid=11

Republic of Ireland Under-21 boss Noel King has named a 16-man squad for the forthcoming UEFA U21 Championships Group Eight qualifying round fixture against Liechtenstein.

The Irish will play Liechtenstein in Eschen on Tuesday, October 11, in their third game in the qualifying series. They beat Hungary 2-1 in their opening game then were unfortunate 1-0 losers to Turkey next time out.

Following his recent return from injury with Manchester City, senior international defender Greg Cunningham will come into the under-21 squad for the first time. Sean Scannell also returns have missed the recent games due to injury.

Manager King will make two further additions to his squad ahead of their departure for Eschen.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U21 SQUAD
Ian McLoughlin - MK Dons FC
Aaron McCarey - Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
Shane Duffy - Scunthorpe United FC (on loan from Everton FC)
Gavin Gunning - Dundee United FC
Rob Kiernan - Wigan Athletic FC
Niall Canavan - Scunthorpe United FC
Greg Cunningham - Manchester City FC
Mark Connolly - Bolton Wanderers FC
Richie Towell - Hibernian FC (on loan from Celtic FC)
Aidan White - Leeds United FC
Adam Barton - Preston North End FC
Conor Clifford - Chelsea FC
Jeff Hendrick - Derby County FC
Robbie Brady - Hull City FC (on loan from Manchester United FC)
Sean Scannell - Crystal Palace FC
James Collins - Shrewsbury Town FC

Kingdom
27/09/2011, 5:25 PM
That's starting to look like a decent U21 team, and not just that but plenty of those players seem to have been on the scene for a while. Why is Stephens not in the squad?

Predator
27/09/2011, 5:38 PM
That's starting to look like a decent U21 team, and not just that but plenty of those players seem to have been on the scene for a while. Why is Stephens not in the squad?Plenty of them playing well on a regular basis too. Stevens probably isn't there because Cunningham and White (both LBs) are.

It'll be interesting to see who the other two are - would it be that they are players awaiting clearance?

Kingdom
27/09/2011, 5:44 PM
Plenty of them playing well on a regular basis too. Stevens probably isn't there because Cunningham and White (both LBs) are.

It'll be interesting to see who the other two are - would it be that they are players awaiting clearance?

Yeah things aren't that bleak at all!
Another thread names Terry dixon?

TrapAPony
27/09/2011, 6:43 PM
Mark O'Brien can consider himself unlucky yet again. At least there are no more York City players there though. Rhys Murphy is injured I presume...

tetsujin1979
27/09/2011, 7:07 PM
Mark O'Brien can consider himself unlucky yet again. At least there are no more York City players there though. Rhys Murphy is injured I presume...
Still carrying the knock he picked up in the last series of U21 games

IsMiseSean
27/09/2011, 7:14 PM
I thought Matt Doherty would get in..

Predator
27/09/2011, 8:18 PM
Mark O'Brien can consider himself unlucky yet again. At least there are no more York City players there though. Rhys Murphy is injured I presume...Mark O'Brien should at least be in the squad, but then again there are already 5 CBs in the squad. Who should he be in ahead of? As a back up RB maybe?

I thought Matt Doherty would get in..Connolly is supposed to be a CB but has been playing RB or CM for King. Oyebanjo was backup RB too, while Towell who has been playing CM is also able to play RB.

TrapAPony
27/09/2011, 8:54 PM
Mark O'Brien should at least be in the squad, but then again there are already 5 CBs in the squad. Who should he be in ahead of? As a back up RB maybe?

Canavan maybe, since he's playing at a higher level than him

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2011, 10:50 PM
Mark O'Brien should at least be in the squad, but then again there are already 5 CBs in the squad. Who should he be in ahead of? As a back up RB maybe?
Do the U19s have any more games coming up? I think we had the same situation with Duffy when he switched - it's not necessarily the right thing to pick the best players for the U21s if it means you deprive the lower age groups.

liamoo11
27/09/2011, 10:59 PM
O brien is overage for 19s seems strange he did not make this squad

Charlie Darwin
28/09/2011, 12:45 AM
Are you sure? He's still 18.

AlaskaFox
28/09/2011, 7:38 AM
1 Jan 1992 is the cutoff for the U19s I'd imagine, so he'd still be eligible.

tetsujin1979
28/09/2011, 8:39 AM
From the Regulations of the UEFA European U19 Championships 2011/2012 - http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/Regulations/01/65/31/62/1653162_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Players are eligible to play in the competition if they were born on or after 1 January 1993. The national associations are responsible for the strict observation of this provision.
According to O'Brien's player profile on Derby's website - http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/FirstTeamProfilesDetail/0,,10270~47097,00.html - his birthday is 20/11/1992 making him just overage for the U19 qualifying tournament coming up in October

AlaskaFox
28/09/2011, 11:07 AM
I was tempted to look them up, but was too lazy. Good work as always Tets.

geysir
28/09/2011, 11:46 AM
The cut off date of Jan 1st appears to be a universally accepted norm, at least since I can remember.

Plenty of them playing well on a regular basis too. Stevens probably isn't there because Cunningham and White (both LBs) are.

No sign of Daniel Kearns here,
does that mean that the selected players are playing regularly for championship and lower div teams.

Paddy Garcia
28/09/2011, 7:52 PM
Fergusons first team experience at Newcastle is surely worthy of a call.

SwanVsDalton
29/09/2011, 10:27 AM
Fergusons first team experience at Newcastle is surely worthy of a call.

No guarantee he'd answer it, Ferguson hasn't decided where his international future lies yet.

Predator
29/09/2011, 11:57 AM
No sign of Daniel Kearns here,
does that mean that the selected players are playing regularly for championship and lower div teams.I believe so. Many are (or had been prior to injury) playing competitive football regularly in the Championship, League One and Two and in Scotland. So a good few of them should be match fit, at least.