PDA

View Full Version : How many parts of the country are more than 1 hours drive from nearest LoI club?

legendz
27/09/2011, 7:34 AM
Just curious on how many regions are that distance or more away?

Tralee and Killarney are easily more than an hours drive from Cork or Limerick. Once you get to more than that distance, they can't really be called the local club. With these distances, people are not going to get an affinity for a club or get interested in the league.

Mr Maroon
27/09/2011, 7:36 AM
There are parts of Co. Galway that far away from the city.

culloty82
27/09/2011, 7:53 AM
Tipperary is in much the same situation as Kerry, parts of South Tipp would be close to Waterford, but hard to see whose "catchment area" the north of the county would be in. Likewise, Laois isn't convenient for Longford, Athlone or Wexford, and football fans in Mayo would have more than an hour's travel to follow their nearest club, Sligo.

Macy
27/09/2011, 7:54 AM
With these distances, people are not going to get an affinity for a club or get interested in the league.
Doesn't stop them supporting a British club, and driving further than that to an airport to go and watch them.

Mr Maroon
27/09/2011, 8:03 AM
and football fans in Mayo would have more than an hour's travel to follow their nearest club, Sligo.

United have fans from south Mayo.

passerrby
27/09/2011, 8:57 AM
The mons have a group of supporters on a British navy submarine who get the programmes and buy jerseys etc they keep in contact but my guess is they are more than a hour away from us at any given moment

citybone
27/09/2011, 10:53 AM
I live in Skibbereen West Cork just over a hour from Cork but i am a season ticket holder of Cork City, i know of cork city fans from Further west too such as Ballydehob and Bantry but we are the same county and our junior sides have provided youth players for Cork city FC so there is a connection alright. Cork City played a friendly pre season game here in like 2002 also

poster
27/09/2011, 11:11 AM
There's a good few people who travel from Dublin every second week to see our games, 2 1/2 hours.

John83
27/09/2011, 11:23 AM
The mons have a group of supporters on a British navy submarine who get the programmes and buy jerseys etc they keep in contact but my guess is they are more than a hour away from us at any given moment
Depends. By car sure, but not by trident missile.

http://notesofafilmfanatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/normal_dr_strangelove0111.jpg
Pictured: Monaghan (those look like stony grey hills to me).

passerrby
27/09/2011, 12:07 PM
if you look closely you can see the louis copeland jacket

freewheel30
27/09/2011, 1:50 PM
West, west Clare, not that there's too many people out there.

South Tipp is an interesting case though. In theory the Cahir, Cashel, Clonmel, Carrick area might be able to sustain a club, I don't think Waterford U are able to tap into too much support from south Tipp (maybe a few from Carrick)? It's not really a hurling stronghold like the north - there's pockets of gaelic football around there but the area is swarming with barstoolers.

From a player's point of view Ollie Cahill, Stephen Napier, Daryl Kavanagh are all South Tipp natives.

South Tipp Harriers Franchise FC anyone?

dong
27/09/2011, 3:01 PM
The Doctor Joseph Goebbels of Foot.ie strikes again...

BonnieShels
27/09/2011, 3:03 PM
Termonbarry is only an hour away from all for corners of the land.

Is it any wonder the place is as wonderful as it is.

osarusan
27/09/2011, 3:04 PM
No either at all.

El-Pietro
27/09/2011, 3:05 PM
we get some support from South Tipp

nigel-harps1954
27/09/2011, 4:50 PM
Most of north west tip of donegal is about an hour from either Derry or Harps

razor
27/09/2011, 6:03 PM
we get some support from South TippThe chairman doesn't count :D

legendz
27/09/2011, 6:33 PM
Doesn't stop them supporting a British club, and driving further than that to an airport to go and watch them.

I suppose not. It happens in regions where there are LoI clubs as well. I wouldn't entirely knock going abroad to watch a game but it depends in what context and if support is given to a local club, if there is one.

I live in Skibbereen West Cork just over a hour from Cork but i am a season ticket holder of Cork City, i know of cork city fans from Further west too such as Ballydehob and Bantry but we are the same county and our junior sides have provided youth players for Cork city FC so there is a connection alright. Cork City played a friendly pre season game here in like 2002 also

Good support in fairness. The connection is there as well which is a help. You raise a good point as well. Clubs themselves probably should look to create links in areas with a huge catchment area but no club, I'm sure some are already? Personally I'm not aware of clubs with links to Kerry but it's not to say there aren't any there. I'm definitely not aware of the two nearest clubs having creating any links. With Tralee Dynamos hopefully poised to join the League of Ireland, hopefully there will not be a need.

sadloserkid
27/09/2011, 8:00 PM

South Tipp is an interesting case though. In theory the Cahir, Cashel, Clonmel, Carrick area might be able to sustain a club,

Tipperary C's United.

freewheel30
27/09/2011, 8:54 PM
Tipperary C's United.

Some great ideas for crests here (http://www.google.ie/search?q=4+c's&hl=en&rlz=1C1RNNN_enIE355&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=TjeCTryUMoSR0QWJ68GuAQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBsQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=653)

El-Pietro
27/09/2011, 10:42 PM
The chairman doesn't count :D
haha, hes from Kerry! buddy of mine is from near Clonmel, though he lives in the city these days and comes to a good few games

i know weve got a few others from cahir and that sort of area too

Shannonsider
28/09/2011, 4:50 PM
I know Limerick fans from Tippearary and Clare and West County Limerick on the Kerry border who regularly travel to games around the country and in Limerick. But I know a Spurs "fan" from a good few miles outside of Limerick City who is travelling to tomorrows game in London against Shamrock Rovers but says Jackman Park is too far away for him.

A face
28/09/2011, 9:11 PM
Might be handy for this thread .... i hadn't realised that the north was so heavily populated actually, except for Tyrone the other four are fairly high.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9b/Population_density_of_Ireland_map2002.svg/480px-Population_density_of_Ireland_map2002.svg.png

Edit: And this link (http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm) would be handy as well

legendz
28/09/2011, 9:38 PM
Might be handy for this thread .... i hadn't realised that the north was so heavily populated actually, except for Tyrone the other five are fairly high.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9b/Population_density_of_Ireland_map2002.svg/480px-Population_density_of_Ireland_map2002.svg.png

Edit: And this link (http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm) would be handy as well

32 counties listed based on population:
1 Dublin
2 Antrim
3 Cork
4 Down
5 Galway
6 Derry
7 Kildare
8 Limerick
9 Meath
10 Donegal
11 Tipperary
12 Tyrone
13 Wexford
14 Kerry
15 Wicklow
16 Mayo
17 Armagh
18 Louth
19 Clare
20 Waterford
21 Kilkenny
22 Westmeath
23 Laois
24 Offaly
25 Cavan
26 Sligo
27 Roscommon
28 Monaghan
29 Fermanagh
30 Carlow
31 Longford
32 Leitrim

Listed by population density: (keeping number based on population)
1 Dublin
2 Antrim
4 Down
18 Louth
7 Kildare
6 Derry
17 Armagh
9 Meath
8 Limerick
3 Cork
15 Wicklow
13 Wexford
20 Waterford
30 Carlow
12 Tyrone
23 Laois
22 Westmeath
28 Monaghan
21 Kilkenny
5 Galway
24 Offaly
25 Cavan
11 Tipperary
31 Longford
26 Sligo
29 Fermanagh
19 Clare
10 Donegal
14 Kerry
27 Roscommon
16 Mayo
32 Leitrim

Population size and density doesn't say anything about areas. Some areas are strong football areas, other rugby areas and others then for hurling and Gaelic Football. Sligo are 26th based on population size and 25th on population density.

In asking the question I've asked at the beginning of this thread, I think it's important for the game to have LoI clubs in some of the regions currently not represented. Having a league club should be the best way for a focal point for the growth and strength of the game. There are other ways, an area like Mayo for example, are Sligo Rovers or any of the Galway clubs building links to clubs within that catchment area? As no Mayo club is actively seeking to join the league, I'd imagine it'd be the place of clubs like that to create links with these areas.

Terry
29/09/2011, 3:43 AM
Galway United would have supporters based all around Mayo, some attending the home games regularly from as far as achill island and belmullet in the north west of the county, as well as the usual catchments of westport, castlebar, shrule etc.. Other GUFC supporters who attend the home matches regularly drive in from Roscommon, Clare and North Tipperary.

Its just a pity hardly anyone from the city itself goes to any matches.

geezer
29/09/2011, 7:29 AM
Its just a pity hardly anyone from the city itself goes to any matches.[/QUOTE]

In any surveys done 65% of attendees at matches in Terryland, or of season ticket holders addresses proves the opposite. There are not enough from either city or county going to matches any other analysis is a myth.

legendz
29/09/2011, 9:58 AM
Galway United would have supporters based all around Mayo, some attending the home games regularly from as far as achill island and belmullet in the north west of the county, as well as the usual catchments of westport, castlebar, shrule etc.. Other GUFC supporters who attend the home matches regularly drive in from Roscommon, Clare and North Tipperary.

Are these people from Galway initially? Does Galway as a club have links to clubs within any of these areas. It's down to clubs to make links as well, not just for support to go one way.

Mr Maroon
29/09/2011, 1:52 PM
Are these people from Galway initially?.

The ones that I know of aren't.

Does Galway as a club have links to clubs within any of these areas
Juvenile clubs from some of those areas have come to Terryland to play half time games.

redarmyfaction
30/09/2011, 5:01 AM
Might be handy for this thread .... i hadn't realised that the north was so heavily populated actually, except for Tyrone the other four are fairly high.

So Fermanagh has been liberated and nobody told me.

bullit
30/09/2011, 5:16 AM
So Fermanagh has been liberated and nobody told me.
Fermanagh and South Tyrone have been liberated for many a day.The liberation of Derry will take a while,we will do the London part first.

Macy
30/09/2011, 8:15 AM
In asking the question I've asked at the beginning of this thread, I think it's important for the game to have LoI clubs in some of the regions currently not represented. Having a league club should be the best way for a focal point for the growth and strength of the game.
If only Tipp, Clare, Kildare and Kilkenny ever had clubs in the league, all would be well.

legendz
30/09/2011, 9:02 AM
If only Tipp, Clare, Kildare and Kilkenny ever had clubs in the league, all would be well.

It'd be great to see these areas involved in the U19 league at least.

Dunny
30/09/2011, 9:18 AM
It'd be great to see these areas involved in the U19 league at least.

I think that was the plan for Kilkenny City but it never happened?

Is Buckley Park still in use?

cufc champions
30/09/2011, 10:49 AM

South Tipp is an interesting case though. In theory the Cahir, Cashel, Clonmel, Carrick area might be able to sustain a club, I don't think Waterford U are able to tap into too much support from south Tipp (maybe a few from Carrick)? It's not really a hurling stronghold like the north - there's pockets of gaelic football around there but the area is swarming with barstoolers.

From a player's point of view Ollie Cahill, Stephen Napier, Daryl Kavanagh are all South Tipp natives.

Carrick is a hurling strong hold with two senior hurling teams. I like most in Carrick have no draw to Waterford United at all, I like to see our former players (Mc, Mikey & Doherty) do well but thats it, my team is Carrick United, I follow them and thats it.
I have being to watch a few WUFC games over the last 2 seasons and they are poor in the extreme, there is no attempt to plass the ball merely lump the ball up into the Kilbarry wind. When they go behind I dont feel anything no hurt or pain like most of ye would feel when you team goes behind or is beaten, you can't make a person support or love a team, club or area. You can try promote it, but it ain't working in my Town.

A face
30/09/2011, 12:52 PM
I think that was the plan for Kilkenny City but it never happened? Is Buckley Park still in use?

I've passed it a few times and there didn't seem to be much happening but thats not to say it is or not.

nigel-harps1954
30/09/2011, 3:45 PM
I think that was the plan for Kilkenny City but it never happened?

Is Buckley Park still in use?

It's a shame that there is no club there anymore, really liked the stadium. It's a shame it's being put to no use apart from the odd local games and such.
Fact of the matter is, it would be great to see football in those areas but sadly they just wouldn't work.
Kilkenny never worked because the ground was too far out of the city, and the place is just a mad hurling town. Hardly any football there at all.

Macy
30/09/2011, 8:12 PM
When they go behind I dont feel anything no hurt or pain like most of ye would feel when you team goes behind or is beaten, you can't make a person support or love a team, club or area. You can try promote it, but it ain't working in my Town.
What you really need is a pyramid structure.

However, I'm sure plenty in Carrick have no problem feeling an affinity with a club across the water. So whilst I accept you can't make people feel something for a club, it's especially hard when they don't want to and want to come up with excuses to justify that.

sadloserkid
01/10/2011, 12:30 PM
To be fair there was no shortage of fans or sense of occasion in Carrick for the Munster Senior Cup final this year. Even allowing for the fact that it was a one off final there's clearly a lot of strong feeling for the team in the town. Plenty of LOI fans have an affinity (to varying degrees) with clubs across the water too. Likewise there's no shortage of people in Limerick or any other LOI town who pay no heed to their local team for the usual nonsense excuses. If you're from Carrick and have an interest in Carrick United and Manchester United (and probably/possibly the hurlers of Tipperary or Waterford depending on which side of the river you dwell on) but have a vague to non-existent interest in Waterford United I don't see a problem with that in practical terms.

In an ideal world everybody in the country would support their local club but I'd find it hard to chastise the people of Carrick for not wanting to travel into Waterford every second Friday.

CrowdedHouse
02/10/2011, 8:07 PM
.. Other GUFC supporters who attend the home matches regularly drive in from Roscommon, Clare and North Tipperary.

One of them would be me......about 110kms..an hour and a half legal speeds