PDA

View Full Version : Celtic conducting feasibility study over safe standing

TiocfaidhArmani
23/09/2011, 5:14 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/271667-celtic-studying-feasibility-of-standing-area-at-celtic-park/

http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/271667-celtic-studying-feasibility-of-standing-area-at-celtic-park-410x230.jpg

Celtic have begun a study into the feasibility of bringing standing sections back to top-flight football.

Scottish Premier League stadia have been all-seated since 1994 but STV has learned that the possibility of introducing a standing section to Celtic Park is being investigated.

Letters have been issued to Celtic shareholders ahead of their AGM in mid-October and among proposed resolutions is a proposal by the Celtic Supporters Trust, though not the directors, to make alterations to the ground

The proposal details supporters thoughts on the issue and points out both social and financial benefits for supporters.

A response from the board within the document confirms that steps are already being taken to consider the viability of such a move.

It reads: “The Board welcomes the Trust’s interest in this issue and is pleased to confirm that a feasibility study is already underway, under the direction of the Chief Executive.”

Although law currently prevents standing areas for top flight clubs in England and Wales, there is no such legislation in Scots law. However, Scottish Premier League rules currently prevent standing within grounds in their competition.

STV understands that eight of the 12 member clubs would have to vote in favour of a change to the rules on the issue but should Celtic’s study return positive conclusions the matter may be put before the League.

boovidge
24/09/2011, 11:12 AM
Great move by Celtic, well done to them. I'll have to head up to Glasgow to catch a game if they manage to do this. Pity it won't be available for European games because the atmosphere would be incredible.

Stuttgart88
25/09/2011, 11:50 AM
What's the story at Dortmund regarding standing at UEFA games?

ArdeeBhoy
25/09/2011, 10:22 PM
Not allowed, AFAIK

The standing area is possibly converted into 'bench seating' ?

pineapple stu
26/09/2011, 9:07 AM
Some of the German clubs have seats that fold away under the steps of the terraces, I think. So for European games, the stands get folded out, and everyone stands anyway.

TiocfaidhArmani
26/09/2011, 11:19 AM
Some of the German clubs have seats that fold away under the steps of the terraces, I think. So for European games, the stands get folded out, and everyone stands anyway.

Superb, the Germans know how to do it. Their ticket prices are great as well and you're allowed beer at your seat. Would love to check out a few of their games in person sometime.

Macy
26/09/2011, 11:26 AM
Good news that a UK club is seriously considering it. It was madness that British clubs never really pushed it in the first place. You'd double capacity (at least) of areas compared to seats, so purely financially I could never understand the logic, especially given the millions that have been spent on new grounds/ stands in the meantime. Well I could understand the logic, as right back to Taylor it's been used as excuse to get the working class out of football grounds via increased prices.

Dodge
26/09/2011, 11:37 AM
Superb, the Germans know how to do it. Their ticket prices are great as well and you're allowed beer at your seat. Would love to check out a few of their games in person sometime.

You'#re not allowed Beer at the european games though...