PDA

View Full Version : Ireland to bid for Euro 2012?

pineapple stu
11/07/2004, 2:03 PM
From Aertel (http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p228.htm) - Ireland are looking to approach Scotland with a view to submitting a joint bid to host the 2012 European Championships. Still with no idea of where they're going to get the grounds from though - they admit their only ground at the moment is a revamped Lansdowne Road... Hopefully the Scots will have learnt from the last time though... Worth recalling that the FAI won all of no votes for Euro 2008.

pineapple stu
11/07/2004, 2:06 PM
Text of the article, as the link will change in the next day or so obviously...

The FAI intends to approach Scotland about launching a second joint bid to
host the 2012 European Championships.

The ambitious plans were discussed at the FAI's annual general meeting in Derry yesterday, despite being able to offer just one suitable stadium - Lansdowne Road.

The FAI know Scotland has three venues in Glasgow alone which would meet the criteria, and they now hope to link up again with the Scottish FA for a renewed Celtic bid.

The two nations failed in their attempts to stage Euro 2008.

FAI chief executive Fran Rooney is undeterred by past failures and hope they can persuade the Scots to come on board.

Their next step would be to make contact with the SFA.

Rooney told the FAI's official website, www.fai.ie: 'We are looking at the possibility of staging the tournament.

'We will of course have to formally approach the Scottish FA once more, with only one stadium at our disposal, a revamped Lansdowne Road.'

petef
11/07/2004, 4:19 PM
Another joke bid by the sounds of it.

liam88
11/07/2004, 4:22 PM
Well I reckon we'll need about 8 stadiums between us. We've got Lansdowne, Hamden, Celtic Park and Ibrox so that's 4 useable stadiums-halfway there.
Don't know how they'll feel about asking the IFA to include Windsor Park? But the whole center-of-Belfast lark might put off the panel 'city of racism 2004' won't do anyone any favours for a European cup :(
So my sugesstion wopuld be a 3-way Celtic bid with us, Scotland and Wales so then we can use the mellenium stadium as well. 5 stadiums so we only need 3 more. I think if Aberdeen, Cork city and Shams/Shels get a re-vamp then we could pull something off :D

Templehall
12/07/2004, 12:56 PM
To make it a truly Celtic bid, why not include NI and/or Wales.

How many stadia are needed ?

Lansdowne
Hampden, Ibrox, Murrayfield, Parkhead
Cardiff
Windsor

liam88
12/07/2004, 1:42 PM
Well the main reason for the last bid falling through was that they reconed the Scottish people would go to matches that didn't involve Scotland as they said the scottish had lost interest in football outside the OF......................so it went to Austria and Switzerland-where football isn't even one of the top 5 sports :confused:

I'd say take Ibrox out if it had to be one-and not just because of my affilliations :D
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is the smallest of the 3.
Also it's ugly and if we want a Celtic [kel-tick] bid then having one of the stadiums in a strong British/loyalist area isn't really going to fit in, same goes for Windsor-just like if they wanted to do a 'British' bid-Celtic park or the Brandywell (even if it was bigger) wouldn't be the ideal choice considering they are both in nationalist communities.

Dodge
12/07/2004, 2:58 PM
liam on, would you cop on about Ibrox! Ibrox is in an area as welcoming to outsiders as Celtic Park is. Both are in poor, working class areas... That would have no impact at all on the decision of UEFA.

Windsor is a non runner because its so small, likewise all other stadia in Ireland.

As was said above, a joke bid. Its like they're looking to be embarressed

Countyman
12/07/2004, 3:37 PM
Rooney would be better off putting his resources into promoting the domestic league.

Why not aim for a champions league final in a revamped Lansdowne?

tiktok
12/07/2004, 3:40 PM
Why not aim for a champions league final in a revamped Lansdowne?

Sense in the shape of a Kildare man. CL final in 2009/2010 would be a runner :cool:

pineapple stu
13/07/2004, 5:37 PM
Rooney would be better off putting his resources into promoting the domestic league.

Definitely. European quarter-finallists show the potential of the league. We have 22 clubs struggling to make UEFA Licencing and Rooney wants to blow more money on a bid which will fail. Thankfully, the Scots are already running a mile from it.

thejollyrodger
13/07/2004, 6:13 PM
just concentrating on the Irish side of thing,

We will have 50,000 landsdowne road for definte (unless the builders totally screw up).
There is plans for a replacement for Windsor Park up north. Its expected to be a 30,000 seater located in a non religous area and open to GAA Hurley etc. Another Venue for the competition, cross border peace stuff should make it usable.

Croke Park 80,000 capacity is there and it needs careful work behind the scenes from the government to get that open.

Once the government/FAI gets all that done, it just has to go an build a 30,000 seater stadium down in Cork. It should cost that much : P and its about time we held a major sporting competition, the special olymics went well.