PDA

View Full Version : John Delaneys €400k A Year Wage

Pages : [1] 2

A face
13/09/2011, 1:02 PM
Did anyone hear the sound bite on Newstalk this morning where John Delaney was trying to explain his €400k A Year Wage and Ivan Yates called him a bluffer. I have to agree with it .... its just that €400k is just way over the top considering we haven't got to the finals of any competition in years. Alot of the kids playing the game these days simply dont remember us ever competing at that level. Maybe €200k or something like that but €400k is taking the mick.

What do people think?

passinginterest
13/09/2011, 1:09 PM
400k is and always was completely ridiculous. It's four times the prize money for the winners of the national league, it's more than the entire prize fund for the league. I doubt there's too many countries where the prize for the top league is dwarfed by the salary of the head of the FA. Even €200,000 is probably too much in this day and age.

Nesta99
13/09/2011, 1:14 PM
But sure didnt he take a pay cut....for him to earn more than Obama, Kenny, Cameron etc well i dunno sums up the worst of the self obsessing, self serving greed that the economic boom brought us into. For that matter Traps salary and the his dismissal of taking a pay cut f*cking stinks too. 2.6million for the ceo and senior management team

cornflakes
13/09/2011, 1:19 PM
Delaney is the football equivalent of Bertie Ahern. Full interview is here (http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/offtheball/listen-back/) in the first hour, not sure when it starts

BonnieShels
13/09/2011, 1:32 PM
He's had more tempting offers, the gom.

He's inching his way to Switzerland and will be in Abbottstown til then.

marinobohs
13/09/2011, 1:34 PM
Ridiculous salary - even in the "Celtic Tiger" binge years but now borders on the offensive.

(1) The FAI is up to its nuts in debt

(2) The League is a joke.

(3) The International team have not qualified for a finals in yonks

......... because he is worth it :rolleyes:

TiocfaidhArmani
13/09/2011, 1:36 PM
Ridiculous salary - even in the "Celtic Tiger" binge years but now borders on the offensive.

(1) The FAI is up to its nuts in debt

(2) The League is a joke.

(3) The International team have not qualified for a finals in yonks

......... because he is worth it :rolleyes:

I think the CE of the Scottish FA earns £75k. It's a similar sized country with a similar national team so why the huge difference in wages?

His throwing his tie into the crowd in Moscow was embarassing to say the least.

BonnieShels
13/09/2011, 1:39 PM
Because unlike his Scottish counterpart Delaney has inherited the natural stance of any Irish person above their station, that of "entitlement".

Guinney
13/09/2011, 1:46 PM
Not in a million years he deserves that sort of money. Alot of the decisions by the FAI baffle me and as he is chief executive he must take a a big portion of the blame. Firstly the ticket prices into the Aviva are a joke, think they still think this country is a boom.

The running of the league is a joke to. Does anyone know exactly whats happening next year? Will they introduce the awful split. They need to start explaining things or at least start planning them and people/clubs know. I can't understand why they got rid of the A Championship next year. Maybe it will cut the costs of the teams, but if a player is over 19 but has talent but not yet good enough to play in the first team where will he get game time and similarly how will a player get game time if he is coming back from an injury. Then there is the whole Limerick and Barcelona fiasco. Then the whole 2006 promotion controversy with Dundalk. Last week with the strange decison to give Limerick a bye into the FAI cup. Then overall it wouldn't take a genius to realise that the league is not been properly run. Fixture pile ups, a patience in prize money, little or no aide in helping clubs develop their infrastructures (especially during the Celtic Tiger), refs who are completely inept. The list goes on.

Even if he was doing a great job he wouldn't deserve that amount of money with the state the country is in. But the simple fact he is that he and the FAI make a complete balls up half the time. The man has little or no respect from the public either, basically everyone thinks he is a numpty. He is under performing but some how still is in a job.

A face
13/09/2011, 1:48 PM
Is he to blame or is it the inaction of his peers to change the situation ..... Who really should be calling him to task on this issue?

Nesta99
13/09/2011, 1:52 PM
Even if he was performing miracles he wouldnt deserve that salary. Actually if he performed the miracle of sorting the league out then he should be given the country to run...

Nesta99
13/09/2011, 1:54 PM
Who really should be calling him to task on this issue?

The clubs both junior and senior and the Dept of Sport should be lobbying for a bit of common sense

Magicme
13/09/2011, 1:59 PM
Shhhh don't dis our leader. Sure he's great. He loves us all equally. Praise be.

Mr Maroon
13/09/2011, 2:03 PM
Mr. Delaney and his colleagues in the licensing department are upstanding members of the community who work incredibly hard for their money and, if anything, should all be given pay rises.

Can't hurt.

Charlie Darwin
13/09/2011, 2:28 PM
His salary is based on how much money he brings into the organisation, not how the league is administered or how the national teams perform. And the man is brilliant at getting people to give money to the FAI. He's a snake but he's our snake.

TiocfaidhArmani
13/09/2011, 2:32 PM
His salary is based on how much money he brings into the organisation, not how the league is administered or how the national teams perform. And the man is brilliant at getting people to give money to the FAI. He's a snake but he's our snake.

I've just figured out who you are!

Mr A
13/09/2011, 2:59 PM
I wonder if anyone could provide income figures for the FAI for the years since he came in?

A face
13/09/2011, 3:10 PM

I'm all for measuring the tangible and non-tangible but even when all that is said and done it still donesn't warrant €400k a year. Its off the wall no matter what argument is made in its defense.

There have been improvements since he filled the position, i wont deny that ..... but look at where we were, it was never going to be hard to improve upon it. He held the position during the best economical period the country has ever had and you would have to review the achievements bearing that in mind. And you also have to agree that achievements are part of his role, they should be a given. He shouldn't be rewarded for just doing his job.

"His salary is based on how much money he brings into the organisation" .... when people were throwing the money away. Celtic Tiger money was easily got for the last few years. Right now we are up to our eyes in dept and there is no solid plan in place to address that.

marinobohs
13/09/2011, 3:17 PM

..... The CEO of the Football Association of Ireland and his remuneration has nothing at all to do with football. Only in Ireland.

pineapple stu
13/09/2011, 3:28 PM
In fairness, how much money he can find has a direct effect on football in Ireland.

I know where he could find another E200k though...

horton
13/09/2011, 3:31 PM
Was it not Delaney a few years ago that decided instead of members being given access to the accounts at least a week in advance of the AGM, that they only be issued the morning of the AGM instead, or am I talking ****? I'd love to know what kinda pension fund he's managed for himself. Probably more than most people earn!

Charlie Darwin
13/09/2011, 3:43 PM
I'm all for measuring the tangible and non-tangible but even when all that is said and done it still donesn't warrant €400k a year. Its off the wall no matter what argument is made in its defense.

There have been improvements since he filled the position, i wont deny that ..... but look at where we were, it was never going to be hard to improve upon it. He held the position during the best economical period the country has ever had and you would have to review the achievements bearing that in mind. And you also have to agree that achievements are part of his role, they should be a given. He shouldn't be rewarded for just doing his job.

"His salary is based on how much money he brings into the organisation" .... when people were throwing the money away. Celtic Tiger money was easily got for the last few years. Right now we are up to our eyes in dept and there is no solid plan in place to address that.
Well the Celtic Tiger was part of it but even now the sponsorships deals are worth more than they were five years ago, and that against declining interest from the public. I have no idea whether he's actually worth the 400,000 or not, or how I'd even go about calculating that, but I think the people who are using on-field achievements or lack thereof to measure his salary are mistaken as to what his actual job is.

For the record, I think somebody who's enforcing job cuts and salary cuts across an association should have the humility to take the biggest hit himself, but I suspect John Delaney didn't get to the top of the FAI ladder by being humble.

..... The CEO of the Football Association of Ireland and his remuneration has nothing at all to do with football. Only in Ireland.
You should check out who the President of the English FA is.

BonnieShels
13/09/2011, 4:05 PM
You should check out who the President of the English FA is.

Prince William? The President's role is nothing but ceremonial in the FA.
Delaney's equivalents' would be David Bernstein (Chairman) or Alex Horne (FA General Secretary).

Charlie Darwin
13/09/2011, 4:37 PM
Yeah, I was being tongue in cheek. Bernstein would be his equivalent and, like Delaney, doesn't really have much background in the mechanics of the game but he's a shrewd operator in business circles.

A face
13/09/2011, 4:40 PM
The clubs both junior and senior

Do we have names for these? Will have a look on www.fai.ie tonight to see who should fit the bill

the Dept of Sport

Minister for Sport so

drummerboy
13/09/2011, 4:43 PM
Delaney is the main reason I won't buy a ticket to an Ireland game again. In these hard times I'm not going to contribute to his hugely inflated wages. I've spent a life time in grass roots football and this man sickens me with his greed.

born2bwild
13/09/2011, 4:50 PM

How much money does he bring into the country? The CEO of the IDA earns 'just' €200,000 pa. Does he bring in more investment than the IDA?

What terrifies me more is the thought of how much, if Delaney is on €430,000, his cronies and minions earn.

A face
13/09/2011, 4:54 PM
What terrifies me more is the thought of how much, if Delaney is on €430,000, his cronies and minions earn.

There has to be a break down of this available somewhere.

writerbk1969
13/09/2011, 5:06 PM
who is the minister for sport actually?

BonnieShels
13/09/2011, 5:12 PM
Leo Varadkar
http://www.transport.ie/

gormacha
13/09/2011, 5:26 PM
Delaney is the football equivalent of Bertie Ahern.

Jaysus, that's harsh. I don't think €400k is the appropriate salary for an organisation of this size, but Delaney does not appear to have the streak of cynicism and alleged corruptability of Ahern.

There's no doubt that Delaney has some skills, notably in commercial deals and in administrative work within UEFA. His steering of the local game is less assured, although I do wonder how much he can do here. The FAI is littered with committee structures, and some of the people who sit on these (and I know one or two) are, frankly, eejits. And worse, they are intransigent eejits. Either which way, €200k would be closer to a reasonable salary.

drummerboy
13/09/2011, 9:05 PM
Delaney wages are a lot higher than what Ahern was earning from the job of Taoiseach.

gormacha
13/09/2011, 9:09 PM
Delaney wages are a lot higher than what Ahern was earning from the job of Taoiseach.

I bet Delaney doesn't get as many "dig outs" though.

Martinho II
13/09/2011, 10:28 PM
just listened to the john delaney interview. it was pathetic of newstalk to have this discussion with him in front of a live audience.

Spudulika
14/09/2011, 4:21 AM
If this topic was discussed by almost any other medium than "off the topic" on Newstalk I'd be happy, but the morons who were "hosting" him and who give zero time to anything to do with Irish football (let alone the league) set up a lynching which failed and had them claiming he brought an entourage "P diddy style". Pathetic effort by them, the same goons who were able to claim that Paris Saint Germain were a small side who nobody went to watch, this being just one of many idiotic statements and efforts by them. It was Indo light on the air. Ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of how the FAI have handled the development of the LOI or football in Ireland, though to give them sole blame is to absolve the clubs, fans and everybody else. Picking on one mans salary is easy, he could earn less, yet if Ireland qualified for the Euro's would there still be a call for him to take a further cut? Only a couple of weeks back posters were slamming Newstalk for it's LOI coverage, how easily we forget.

TiocfaidhArmani
14/09/2011, 10:24 AM
I would call for him to take a cut even if we qualify. It's nothing to do with him with we qualify, he doesn't take the blame when we haven't so why give him credit if we do. His salary is a disgrace, end of.

drummerboy
14/09/2011, 11:17 AM

In fairness, he wouldn't need a dig out on that salary.

bennocelt
14/09/2011, 8:00 PM
Delaney is the main reason I won't buy a ticket to an Ireland game again. In these hard times I'm not going to contribute to his hugely inflated wages. I've spent a life time in grass roots football and this man sickens me with his greed.

Ditto

danthesaint
14/09/2011, 8:36 PM
just listened to the john delaney interview. it was pathetic of newstalk to have this discussion with him in front of a live audience.

why? its what we are all thinking and what we all want to ask him

fair play to them

ArdeeBhoy
14/09/2011, 9:12 PM
Isn't it €430k p.a.?

Regardless of whether he's doing a good job, he wouldn't get the same rate now.
Expect the next incumbent to get €100-150k 'reality check'...
:eek:

A face
14/09/2011, 9:46 PM
Expect the next incumbent to get €100-150k 'reality check'...
:eek:

A reason why Delaney should step down now. People have already been let go from the association so why should he be any different? I think its fair to say that its completely taking the píss. People have been fired from positions for embezzling less that that amount.

What were the reasons cited by Delaney for getting rid of Fran Rooney that time?

BonnieShels
14/09/2011, 10:54 PM
Cos he wanted the job and he didn't get it?

TiocfaidhArmani
15/09/2011, 9:30 AM

Or luck at the races ;)

gufct
15/09/2011, 11:56 AM
Just a warning for Anyone posting comment who is affiliated to a LOI Club all forums are being checked by the FAI and some people have receieved threats of action ala Roddy Collins if they question the man from del monte.

pineapple stu
15/09/2011, 11:57 AM
Sure they've been going mad at what's written on here for years.

A face
15/09/2011, 1:12 PM
Just a warning for Anyone posting comment who is affiliated to a LOI Club all forums are being checked by the FAI and some people have receieved threats of action ala Roddy Collins if they question the man from del monte.

The man from del monte needs to charge less for his orange juice ..... when he does, there wont be stuff up here about him. He hasn't a leg to stand on on this issue.

ArdeeBhoy
15/09/2011, 1:13 PM
Is 'Del Monte' even still going?

Hasn't it been undercut by cheaper alternatives...

Macy
15/09/2011, 1:34 PM
His steering of the local game is less assured, although I do wonder how much he can do here. The FAI is littered with committee structures, and some of the people who sit on these (and I know one or two) are, frankly, eejits. And worse, they are intransigent eejits. Either which way, €200k would be closer to a reasonable salary.
It's his job to put in place the right structures, people and oversight.

A face
15/09/2011, 3:22 PM
Delaney is the football equivalent of Bertie Ahern. Full interview is here (http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/offtheball/listen-back/) in the first hour, not sure when it starts

Just listened to this again and its conclusive at this point .... he is taking the complete and utter píss out of the Irish Footballing Public. Its just not good enough :(

Eminence Grise
15/09/2011, 6:39 PM
The man from del monte...

... is just a poor man's Pineapple Stu.

Apologies for the lacklustre attempt at humour...