PDA

View Full Version : When Saturday Comes

oriel
07/09/2011, 7:03 PM
There is an article on 'Shamrock Rovers in Europe' in this months edition (October) I get my copy by post, probably available in likes of Easons this w/e.

For a UK mag, I find it has an Irish football article in at least every 3 months, maybe every 2 mths, def worth picking up, as the features are always very well written, and a nice angle to most, I like the way it has a focus well away from the EPL.

maksimir
07/09/2011, 8:10 PM
Without a doubt the best football magazine out there - probably because it feels like an English style fanzine when you're reading it. I love the overall layout of it and the fact it is not obsessed with the premier league as you say. Even the adverts are classy and it eclipses the awful 442 that seems packed with football boot/kit adverts. Even with the internet eventually leading to less and less mags, WSC will always have a readership. That being said I have not got a subscription! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow. Thanks Oriel.

BonnieShels
07/09/2011, 8:53 PM
Yeah best magazine by a long shot. First time this month that I'm late getting it. Must sort that out tomorrow.

Calcio Jack
07/09/2011, 9:00 PM
WSC is good but I prefer Back Pass which features all the greats from 1960/70/80s....by greats I mean everthing from Best to lower division stars like Fred Binney, Ken Beamish, Gerry Ryan, John Trollope and many many others.... if you're aged u40 you might be better off with WSC !!!

gormacha
07/09/2011, 9:13 PM
Without a doubt the best football magazine out there - probably because it feels like an English style fanzine when you're reading it.

I've been reading WSC (on and off) since it first came out, and it didn't dawn on me that younger fans may not actually know that WSC started life as a fanzine, hence why it still reads like one. A bit, anyway.

It seems to have got better recently. It went through a terrible patch in the early noughties. It got incredibly trainspotterish with loads of articles on football financing - important and, occasionally, interesting stuff, no doubt, but in every edition? No thanks. It also became overran with articles written in that laddish ironic 'humour' turn, which became enormously tedious. It seems to have got the balance right again now.

BonnieShels
07/09/2011, 9:27 PM
Also let's not forget The Blizzard in all of this.

ssmb
07/09/2011, 10:57 PM
It's always an excellent read and has little time for the nonsense that surrounds the EPL and the circus that is "Team England".

Great to see Rovers as a headline on the front page, the Rovers piece is on page 33 and is a good read.

If you enjoy football you should always find that WSC is worth having a gander at.

Raheen
08/09/2011, 7:59 AM
WSC is one of the best. I've been getting it on subscription since I was a twelve yo. So long ago that there was a piece in my first edition about Derry City joining the LOI.

osarusan
08/09/2011, 9:47 AM
So long ago that there was a piece in my first edition about Derry City joining the LOI.
Sure that was only 2 years ago.:confused2:

thischarmingman
08/09/2011, 10:06 AM
Sure that was only 2 years ago.:confused2:

http://coppermine.constantmayhem.com/albums/userpics/10002/Oh_I_See_Fry.gif

marinobohs
08/09/2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah best magazine by a long shot. First time this month that I'm late getting it. Must sort that out tomorrow.

Excellent read and addictive once you start ...:o An increasing number of articles in recent times on LOI matters (usually not favourable unsurprisingly). Great read also about lower divisions and non league football in England and (as said elsewhere) keeps the EPL stuff to a minimum.
I believe one of our mods on here has had a couple of LOI related articles printed in WSC (no false modesty Stu ;))

pineapple stu
08/09/2011, 10:43 AM
I believe one of our mods on here has had a couple of LOI related articles printed in WSC (no false modesty Stu ;))
Nah; just a letter or two. Have seen a couple of other foot.ie posters in it as well I think.

BonnieShels
08/09/2011, 10:45 AM
I remember sending in 2 terse letters the season before last bemoaning the lack of coverage the LOI receives in Ireland... their LOI quotient has increased as a result... hmmm...

oriel
08/09/2011, 12:50 PM
There was a brilliant article in the August edition about the circus that is football clubs going on pre season tours now like Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, all going to Asia and all to promote the 'brand' then it compared this to the pre 2000's

Classic tale of Lou Macari/Steve Coppell refusing to play for Man u in some game in HK, and Tommy Docherty the then manager arguing with them while swinging on a bottle of scotch. Cut to Pete Beagrie riding a motor bike smashing through the front door of the team hotel in San Sebastian in early 90`s, lost 3 pints of blood, then when recovering in hospital, the cops told him that his Everton team mates were actually staying in the hotel next door.............

A mate of mine, another Dundalk fan got an artice published in 93, all about the mad season where no goal diff was in place. Cork/Shels/Bohs ended up on same points, then we had a round robin series, then all ended up in same points, before a final mini series produced the lge winners.

culloty82
08/09/2011, 1:12 PM
Nah; just a letter or two. Have seen a couple of other foot.ie posters in it as well I think.

You'll have seen a few regulars on the forum (http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,73/) also, but I warn you, once you start, you'll never leave!

BonnieShels
08/09/2011, 1:47 PM
You'll have seen a few regulars on the forum (http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,73/) also, but I warn you, once you start, you'll never leave!

I clicked it. Damn you... this place is bad enough.

freewheel30
08/09/2011, 11:02 PM
Would ye rank it ahead of World Soccer, just out of curiosity. Don't know if I've ever bought When Saturday Comes, will probably try and get this issue.

Straightstory
09/09/2011, 9:42 AM
17 posts in, and not not one begrudger saying 'I've read it, and it's s**t.' A Foot.ie record!!!
It IS an excellent magazine - I find it's the perfect cover-to-cover-length read when traveling from Dublin to Heathrow (or Heathrow to Dublin of course).

Macy
09/09/2011, 11:03 AM
I've read WSC before, and it is s**t! It's the best of a bad bunch when it comes to football magazines, but I've never got over it's double standards over club fanzines back in the 90's.

BonnieShels
09/09/2011, 11:35 AM
I've read WSC before, and it is s**t! It's the best of a bad bunch when it comes to football magazines, but I've never got over it's double standards over club fanzines back in the 90's.

Straightstory, this is your fault.

Macy I would give it a chance again. Some excellent articles now. As someone said above there's a great balance now.

Macy
09/09/2011, 11:43 AM
Straightstory, this is your fault.

Macy I would give it a chance again. Some excellent articles now. As someone said above there's a great balance now.
Good to see the irony wasn't lost. I do buy it occasionally, and on the rare occasions I do buy a magazine it is in the running, so as a percentage of purchases I make it's probably doing alright!

gormacha
09/09/2011, 1:22 PM
on the rare occasions I do buy a magazine it is in the running, so as a percentage of purchases I make it's probably doing alright!

Ok, a quick quiz question: can anyone put these words into a coherent sentence? Praise. Damned. Faint. By. :)

Macy
09/09/2011, 1:24 PM
Ok, a quick quiz question: can anyone put these words into a coherent sentence? Praise. Damned. Faint. By. :)
I don't buy magazines often. When I do, I often by the Whinging Scouse Clan. So as a proportion of my magazine purchases, WSC is probably high up.

pineapple stu
14/09/2011, 8:20 AM
Read that article there. I actually don't really go in for the LoI articles - they're generally mundane and full of stuff I know already, whereas the mundane stuff that I don't know from other leagues is usually more interesting. I see it's by a banned foot.ie poster though. Small world! :p

Martinho II
14/09/2011, 7:42 PM
whos the banned foot.ie poster pineapple??

joema
15/09/2011, 12:46 PM
WSC is a great read. Will pick it up later on today.

Great Rovers article here too:

http://www.soccerreportextra.com/international/uefa-europa-league/shamrock-rovers-heroes-show-another-way/

Straightstory
15/09/2011, 12:47 PM
whos the banned foot.ie poster pineapple??
Yes, Im curious too... And why was he (she?!) banned?

ArdeeBhoy
15/09/2011, 1:10 PM
Read that article there. I actually don't really go in for the LoI articles - they're generally mundane and full of stuff I know already, whereas the mundane stuff that I don't know from other leagues is usually more interesting. I see it's by a banned foot.ie poster though.

What article? Do you have a link, please?

pineapple stu
15/09/2011, 1:10 PM
No link; you'd have to just buy the magazine.

freewheel30
15/09/2011, 9:48 PM
WSC is a great read. Will pick it up later on today.

Great Rovers article here too:

http://www.soccerreportextra.com/international/uefa-europa-league/shamrock-rovers-heroes-show-another-way/

One more here, with extra barstooler-bashing

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2995/betting/2011/09/15/2666825/shamrock-rovers-set-to-make-irish-football-proud-in-europa

oriel
06/04/2012, 1:14 PM
WSC have another full page on LOI in this months edition (may), its really about the change in quality of players coming from LOI ans going straight into first team sqauds.

Mclean is the lead feature for obvious reasons. As usual its an excellent read, think easons etc sell it. I always look forward to seeing it land by post, as its sent out days before its in the shops. Def one of the best there is out there.

BonnieShels
06/04/2012, 1:19 PM
I look forward to my monthly email from them telling me to go buy it.
That's my evening sorted now that I'm not going to Oriel.

MariborKev
09/04/2012, 12:06 AM
Article this month is by a current foot.ie poster.......