PDA

View Full Version : Richard Dunne has played his last game for Ireland

Colbert Report
07/09/2011, 12:11 AM
Any way a mod can delete this please?

Murfinator
07/09/2011, 12:13 AM
Very much doubt it, what did he say last week?

DannyInvincible
07/09/2011, 12:14 AM
What did he say last week? And I'll be stunned if we don't at least make the play-offs.

TerryPhelan
07/09/2011, 12:14 AM
How is this so? The suspensions only last for one match so he'll be back for the decider against Armenia.

Colbert Report
07/09/2011, 12:15 AM
on the OTB podcast they quote him saying he'll retire at the end of this campaign along with several others. Around the forty minute mark of the podcast.

Colbert Report
07/09/2011, 12:15 AM
How is this so? The suspensions only last for one match so he'll be back for the decider against Armenia.

You`re right, my mistake, I was going off what they said on OTB before a texter quickly corrected them.

Murfinator
07/09/2011, 12:19 AM
what on earth is otb, and do you have a link to this?

ArdeeBhoy
07/09/2011, 12:23 AM
Off The Ball?
They have a Facebook group, also.

the bear
07/09/2011, 12:36 AM
this a wind up?

DannyInvincible
07/09/2011, 12:48 AM
Apparently, Dunne has told OTB that this will be his last campaign for Ireland, although I'm not aware of anything as certain as that being said myself. CR's original pre-edited post mentioned how he thought Dunne was suspended for two games because someone mentioned that on OTB. (He later realised that was mentioned on OTB in error.) Presumably, he was also assuming we weren't going to make the play-offs for whatever reason; whether to sensationalise the thread or because this is what he truly believes, I don't know. :p Under those circumstances, the game earlier would have been Dunne's last game for us. Of course, those aren't the circumstances, so nothing to worry about.

paul_oshea
07/09/2011, 9:26 AM
CR sensetionalising? NO way!

There's a place in eastbourne.....

jbyrne
07/09/2011, 9:32 AM
dunne himself thought he would miss the next two games as he now has 4 yellows.
is he correct or is it confirmed he is only missing the andorra match?

Stuttgart88
07/09/2011, 9:41 AM
He was quoted recently as saying he'll play in the next campaign. Not sure where.

seanfhear
07/09/2011, 9:59 AM
He was quoted recently as saying he'll play in the next campaign. Not sure where.

Probably centre back ! (only kidding)

Fixer82
07/09/2011, 10:58 AM
any link for that podcast?
I wouldn't be surprised if the disappointment that comes with not qualifying alone (hopefully that won't happen) will retire a few of the lads. In particular I'd see Dunne, Duff and Given retiring

Noelys Guitar
07/09/2011, 11:38 AM
Dunney thrown out of Texas Holdem tournament while wearing bald cap and regaling fellow players about dead grannies. Apparently Cascarino ratted him out.

EAFC_rdfl
07/09/2011, 11:39 AM
http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/offtheball/listen-back/
just pick Tuesday and the Part 1. Think Dunnes interview was about 7:45 last night so maybe 40 mins in, but its well worth a listen to the whole 1st hour for Paul mcgrath, the general response to the match, and Delaneys away day antics!

Murfinator
07/09/2011, 12:02 PM
I reckon we should keep this thread alive so we can bump it in 2013 when hes still playing, heck maybe he'll still be here in 2015. He's 31 and playing at his peak, would be bizarre if he wanted out.

Crosby87
07/09/2011, 12:09 PM
I could see a bunch of them retiring after this campaign as has been discussed on here a million times but why worry about it? One door closes, another opens.

Murfinator
07/09/2011, 12:11 PM
http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/offtheball/listen-back/
just pick Tuesday and the Part 1. Think Dunnes interview was about 7:45 last night so maybe 40 mins in, but its well worth a listen to the whole 1st hour for Paul mcgrath, the general response to the match, and Delaneys away day antics!

He comes on at 52, mentions nothing of the nature TC is on about. The only thing he says was "this could be the last campaign for some of the lads", he didn't say anything about his personal future.

swinfordfc
07/09/2011, 12:13 PM
he will be around for brazil 2014 ..... wait and see .... not delete this page!

elroy
07/09/2011, 12:38 PM
I heard this as well at the time and just dismissed it.

I presume the two match ban isnt true, can someone confirm?!?!

Im sure the likes of Robbie, Dunne and Given, maybe even JOSH may reconsider their options at the of the campaign. But with none of them playing with clubs who are in Europe (or likely to be there next year) then I think its likely they will stay on. Keane will stay if the travel works ok. The more the merrier - KK will never retire.

jbyrne
07/09/2011, 2:58 PM

maybe not (from rte website)..

"There are a lot of us probably in our last campaign who want to get to a finals, and hopefully last night will help us get that."

Sullivinho
07/09/2011, 3:05 PM

Well he was in the 2002 Korea/Japan WC squad but didn't make an appearance. Could be a consideration for him come this time next year. Time will tell.

elroy
07/09/2011, 4:08 PM
Just saw the quote on the RTE website, not good but look lets not think about that for now. Alot can change between now and then, we might be able to convince him that he'd be much better off finishing on a WC campaign.

MeathDrog
07/09/2011, 5:25 PM
So is he suspended for both the Andorra and Armenia games?

French Toasht
07/09/2011, 5:35 PM
That would be rediculous if he were to miss both games. He has already served a suspension in the away match in Macedonia for his previous misdemeanours and as such that should wipe the slate clean. It seems extremely punitive that he would miss more than one game when all we are talking about here is yellow cards. If we were talking about red cards then you could arguably condone a 2 game suspension but here where he has "already served the time" for his first double booking, it seems unduly harsh to punish him on the double.

Closed Account
07/09/2011, 6:33 PM
He only has to serve a 1 game suspension

Article 21
Yellow and red cards

21.02 A player is automatically suspended for the next competition match after two
cautions in two different matches as well as after the fourth and any subsequent
caution.

So it appears you get a suspension after 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 etc yellow cards.

the bear
07/09/2011, 8:49 PM
better him missing andorra than playing , getting booked and missing armenia.

i really can't believe this rumours bout him retiring, terrible news if true

was lookin at the player ratings for the match in the paper today dunne got 10, never seen that before

Sullivinho
07/09/2011, 9:06 PM
He only has to serve a 1 game suspension

So it appears you get a suspension after 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 etc yellow cards.

Cheers for that. The Armenia game will be a nervy enough occasion without Dunne sitting it out. And if we can't get through Andorra without him then we don't deserve anything really.

legendz
07/09/2011, 9:07 PM
It's harsh to think Dunne won't earn a starting place against the Armenian's after last night. Some people are hard to please.

BonnieShels
07/09/2011, 9:37 PM
So is he playing against Armenia or not? There seems to be a rake of conflicting posts here.

Kingdom
08/09/2011, 12:10 AM
I heard the interview on OfftheBall, and he clearly says that he is missing for the final two games of the group because of a 4th yellow card. The UEFA quote above shows he is incorrect on the matter.
So CR's logic was sound, when you read the quotes from him both before and after the game in the various media about giving this campaign all he has as it will be the last for a few of them.
I've said this from as long ago as a year ago maybe. Is it that hard to believe that Duffer, Killer, Robbie and Dunney all retire after this campaign? I don't think so. Duffer and Killer are at that age, Robbie is Stateside, and Dunney while younger has had a few injuries the past two seasons that have affected him into the season.
I would hope he stays on for another campaign, so long as he's able for it of course. In the meantime, we'll have to hope he's in as good form against the Armenians and then in Polkraine next summer.

AlaskaFox
08/09/2011, 8:35 AM
So is he playing against Armenia or not? There seems to be a rake of conflicting posts here.

He is read Joe's post above yours. It's fairly clear.

the bear
08/09/2011, 8:41 AM
He's not, read Joe's post above yours. It's fairly clear.

you mean he is?

AlaskaFox
08/09/2011, 9:05 AM
you mean he is?

I do, bloody late nights.

BonnieShels
08/09/2011, 9:10 AM
That was confusing to say the least.

So the following statement is true:

Richard Dunne will be available for selection for the home game against Armenia.

Time to close the thread methinks.

Dun Laoire
08/09/2011, 9:28 AM
That would be rediculous if he were to miss both games. He has already served a suspension in the away match in Macedonia for his previous misdemeanours and as such that should wipe the slate clean. It seems extremely punitive that he would miss more than one game when all we are talking about here is yellow cards. If we were talking about red cards then you could arguably condone a 2 game suspension but here where he has "already served the time" for his first double booking, it seems unduly harsh to punish him on the double.

whats worse is it was never a yellow. He clearly got the ball, yes a bit of the russian too but it's barely a foul never mind a card.

Acornvilla
08/09/2011, 9:36 AM
any link for that podcast?
I wouldn't be surprised if the disappointment that comes with not qualifying alone (hopefully that won't happen) will retire a few of the lads. In particular I'd see Dunne, Duff and Given retiring

Duff probably hasn't the legs for another campaign and by that time Dunne will be getting there too, Given will never retire till he dies i'd say

EastTerracer
08/09/2011, 9:45 AM
I thought I heard Dunne say last week that this would be his last Euro campaign but that he fancied another go at at the World Cup. I think Robbie has said something similar in the past as well.

Sullivinho
08/09/2011, 11:25 AM
whats worse is it was never a yellow. He clearly got the ball, yes a bit of the russian too but it's barely a foul never mind a card.

And to quite literally add insult to injury, the ref tells him he knows he got the ball.

BonnieShels
08/09/2011, 11:54 AM
It was pathetic the way the referee stood over him waiting on him to finish receiving treatment. The commitment shown in that tackle alone said it all about that performance.

pineapple stu
08/09/2011, 11:55 AM
It was pathetic the way the referee stood over him waiting on him to finish receiving treatment.
I was delighted he did that. The ref was within his rights to restart the game immediately as both players were off the pitch getting treatment. That Dunne was being booked meant we spent less time playing without him.

BonnieShels
08/09/2011, 11:59 AM
I was delighted he did that. The ref was within his rights to restart the game immediately as both players were off the pitch getting treatment. That Dunne was being booked meant we spent less time playing without him.

True enough. My concern was that Dunne would get up and knock him one though.
Don't like referees hovering over treatment of players at all. Especially when it is a genuine injury like Dunne's.

Stuttgart88
08/09/2011, 12:09 PM
In fairness, I thought the ref did really well. (as Geysir predicted he would :))

BonnieShels
08/09/2011, 12:11 PM
In fairness, I thought the ref did really well. (as Geysir predicted he would :))

He didn't have a bad game alright. credit to geysir where due.

irishfan86
10/09/2011, 4:54 PM
I know a few of you contact the FAI from time to time - might be an idea to ask for clarification on Dunne's suspension. Would be terrible if he missed two games when he only was suspended for one!