PDA

View Full Version : London bars- blatantly asked a million times before...

thischarmingman
02/09/2011, 12:44 PM
...where's best place in London to watch the game this evening? Somewhere Central or East preferably.

Ta

paul_oshea
02/09/2011, 12:52 PM
Oneills in leicester square could be good craic given its a friday night.

Pat logues in mornington crescent http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/34509/

Its the Derrys supporters club meet up too so suits you. Yer mate DCFC steve has been there in the past.

The marquee of gansbury or whatever you call it would show it too around totenham court road.

Depedsn what you are after, there isn't really any good irish soccer pubs in london, particularly central london.

paul_oshea
02/09/2011, 12:54 PM
Scratch that there aren't any [strike]good[strike] irish pubs in london
Actually strike that too there aren't any good pubs in London full stop.

thischarmingman
02/09/2011, 12:55 PM
Oneills in leicester square could be good craic given its a friday night.

Pat logues in mornington crescent http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/34509/

Its the Derrys supporters club meet up too so suits you. Yer mate DCFC steve has been there in the past.

The marquee of gansbury or whatever you call it would show it too around totenham court road.

Depedsn what you are after, there isn't really any good irish soccer pubs in london, particularly central london.

Hitting up Mornington Crescent for City game tomorrow. I'll go with that one in TCR then, cheers

paul_oshea
02/09/2011, 12:57 PM
He is a cork lad good lad, derry supporters used to go up stairs there too. Just ring him to make sure he is def showing it as the last time i was there was year and half ago.

passinginterest
02/09/2011, 1:08 PM
A cousin of mine works in this place http://www.claddagh-ring.co.uk/quays/index.html (I think he might be the manager these days). I don't know London at all and map wise it looks to be well north but it might be useful to someone. According to Facebook: "Free admission to the Quays before 12am all weekend! All sourz shots £2.50 get down tonight and watch Ireland v Slovakia and England v Bulgaria! All mojitios £3.95! Live music Sunday 6pm till 8pm with the Curragh after the All Ireland hurling final"

boovidge
02/09/2011, 1:47 PM
I can't remember from where but I've heard the Claddagh Ring is an absolute dump.

passinginterest
02/09/2011, 1:49 PM
Ha could well be! Apologies if I've just directed anyone towards near certain death.

koneinc
02/09/2011, 2:14 PM
Hop on the jubilee/bakerloo line and watch it in Kilburn, always a good atmosphere in The Kingdom or Sir Colin Campbell on the high st.

paul_oshea
02/09/2011, 2:50 PM
Claddagh is ok.was good for champions league final but i was only one watching the Armenia game in thrrr.....

The kingdom is a dump.as are most pubs up there.but i suppose at least they are our dumps.

I probably know yer cousin at least to see.is he from dunmore/galway?

koneinc
02/09/2011, 2:53 PM
The kingdom is a dump.as are most pubs up there.but i suppose at least they are our dumps.

You've hit the nail on the head there. I'm not Kilburn's biggest fan but feck the state of the pubs, I prefer to be in the company of my compariots for these games.

passinginterest
02/09/2011, 2:54 PM
Claddagh is ok.was good for champions league final but i was only one watching the Armenia game in thrrr.....

I probably know yer cousin at least to see.is he from dunmore/galway?

He's from Rosslare, my old golfing buddy when we were youngsters. Haven't seen him in years, he must be in London at least 5 years at this stage, big Arsenal fan.

Oh and it's The Quays that he works in not the Claddagh.

paul_oshea
02/09/2011, 3:41 PM
Big tall fella? I know him to see....he has a bird who is fairly into heavy metal i tried to chat up a couple of times a good while ago hahaha

passinginterest
02/09/2011, 3:45 PM
That sounds like him alright! Used to be a fairly decent goalkeeper too. He's a gentle giant, although that may change when it comes to defending his women!!

paul_oshea
05/09/2011, 12:50 PM
Ha, coincidence, but I'm meeting up with a few mates tomorrow for the football, and one of those in the extended group is your cousin :)

paul_oshea
06/09/2011, 9:41 AM
few of us heading to the sheephaven for 4 if anyone is around.

passinginterest
06/09/2011, 9:48 AM
Tell the cousin I said hello!

paul_oshea
06/09/2011, 9:55 AM
Ill say PAssingInterest - who doesn't drink, lives in south dublin, from wexford, supports Wexford Youths, occasionally goes to see Rovers, has a girlfriend - said hello :)

passinginterest
06/09/2011, 9:58 AM
Haha. Just mention playing golf in Rosslare and he'll know who it is. I saw him talking about the Sheephaven on Facebook this morning so it's definitely the same fella.

*I'm slightly worried you remember that much about me

paul_oshea
06/09/2011, 10:22 AM
Without sounding like a knob, almost everything that is ever written on this forum, even when I glance I remember it(save dates and stuff like that).

The problem is that when I go search posts to back up against people like Dodge i can never find the stuff :)

Ya i was planning on saying the cousin who he played golf with.

zero
03/11/2011, 10:49 AM
this is never easy.

the auld shilleleagh has good atmosphere, but is hard to get to and small. will be RAMMED for the estonia game. standing only, but they have rte.

waxy's - no sky, so OUT.

the yucatan in dalston - bit of a weird spot. 99% dudes. i've had good results there though (italy away, armenia home). seating available. used to have rte but not anymore it seems.

o'neills leicester square - iffy. plenty screens. some seating but i've never had the luxury there.

kilburn - fine i guess if you live in the area. bit of a haul for most people though.

twelve pins finsbury park - not bad. cheap pints, bit dark and gloomy in there. have rte. usually seating.

i work in the city where the options are severly limited. if INGERLUND aren't playing, matches will often be screened with the sound off. not good.

pineapple stu
03/11/2011, 10:58 AM
bit of a weird spot. 99% dudes. i've had good results there though
Probably could have phrased that better! :eek:

ArdeeBhoy
04/11/2011, 11:21 PM
Would agree The Yucatan is a bit of a weird one.

A few wild Doire bhoys in there the last time I was in there....

zero
07/11/2011, 4:01 PM
any other suggestions? it's looking like i'll end up in the yucatan again, hoping for a good score.

paul_oshea
07/11/2011, 6:04 PM
The sheephaven in mornington crescent, good food too, zero, i work in the Canary wharf and its closer from the city so you should make it in 20 mins or less no problem.

No great pubs in london for the football to be honest.

SwanVsDalton
08/11/2011, 10:24 AM
The sheephaven in mornington crescent, good food too, zero, i work in the Canary wharf and its closer from the city so you should make it in 20 mins or less no problem.

No great pubs in london for the football to be honest.

Think I'll be checking out The Sheephaven and bringing a group with me. Pubs in London for the game are pretty rubbish, usually I stick to the Blythe Hill Tavern near Forest Hill, near where I live, which is easily the best pub for Ireland games I've come across. But need somewhere around town this week, so may give this place a try. As long as the atmosphere's good, I'll be happy enough.

paul_oshea
08/11/2011, 9:22 PM
Ya it should be, decent soccer crowd there for it, as in who know what they are on about.

Ya i know a couple of pubs outside central London but no real place anywhere in zone 1 bar this one to be honest.

TheOwl
09/11/2011, 1:27 AM
The Hop Pole in Wandsworth/Putney is where I'll be watching it. Decent Irish pub with RTE for any SW Londoners.

thischarmingman
09/11/2011, 8:12 AM
I came on to re-bump this topic. Looking for somewhere with a good atmosphere and plenty of Irish fans, but would preferably like to avoid the Irish pubs of Leicester Sq region. I work near Liverpool St so don't fancy trekking across London for it.

Doire Abu
14/11/2011, 10:18 AM
I came on to re-bump this topic. Looking for somewhere with a good atmosphere and plenty of Irish fans, but would preferably like to avoid the Irish pubs of Leicester Sq region. I work near Liverpool St so don't fancy trekking across London for it.
Bit late, but we tried the Sports Cafe on Haymarket on Friday. Barn of a place, service was decent and had the bonus of some Estonian fans at the back. Shame they left at half time.

Ross
19/03/2013, 3:34 PM
Thought I'd try and get this thread going again...

Looking for somewhere with Irish fans and a decent atmosphere to watch the match v Sweden on Friday. Preferably somewhere fairly central (I work in Canary Wharf and have to get the train from Waterloo after). It looks like the game is only on RTE which probably rules out a lot of places - any ideas much appreciated!