PDA

View Full Version : What kind of results will Rovers get from their Group matches?

Pages : [1] 2

Shelsman
01/09/2011, 4:11 PM
What kind of results do ye think Rovers will get in their group matches?

nigel-harps1954
01/09/2011, 4:21 PM
I'd say they'll surprise a few and pick up one or 2 wins and maybe a draw so I'm guessing around 7 points.

Kingdom
01/09/2011, 4:25 PM
I think it'll be sept points ou cinq points.

Shelsman
01/09/2011, 4:30 PM
I went for three points (more with the heart than the head to be honest) -2 draws against PAOK and a draw against Rubin Kazan, otherwise they might miraculously sneak a win -maybe at home to PAOK.

On paper they'd be expected to get 0 points, so let's hope that doesn't happen!

BonnieShels
01/09/2011, 4:57 PM
5 points I reckon.

Rasputin
01/09/2011, 5:29 PM
2 points and no shame in that either.

dancinpants
01/09/2011, 6:06 PM
2 points. Draw at home to PAOK, and a draw at home against Kazan. After that it'll be a case of keeping the GD respectable.

Maybe summer football will prove to be drawback in the latter stages of Europe?

placid casual
01/09/2011, 6:46 PM
6 points.

Win away at spurs -3
draw at home spurs -1
kazan at home -1
paok away -1

mypost
01/09/2011, 7:40 PM
Far more important question is how many do we need to qualify?

Going on what the 3rd-placed teams have generally got in the past two years, 7 or 8 points seems to be enough. A few of them got more, some got less, one got 10 points and failed to qualify, another got only 3 points, so getting just 4 points was needed to qualify in that group. I doubt we'll need only 4 points in ours, but 2 wins and 2 draws may be enough.

legendz
01/09/2011, 7:40 PM
Rubin Kazan (H) win
Tottenham Hotspur (A) loss
PAOK (A) draw
PAOK (H) win
Rubin Kazan (A) loss
Tottenham Hotspur (H) draw

2 wins. 2 draws. 2 losses.

8 points. Optimistic predictions.

Rubin Kazan (H) draw
Tottenham Hotspur (A) loss
PAOK (A) loss
PAOK (H) win
Rubin Kazan (A) loss
Tottenham Hotspur (H) loss

1 win. 1 draw. 4 losses.

4 points. Possibly being more realistic or pessimistic predictions.

BonnieShels
01/09/2011, 7:45 PM
3 get out of the group? Assumed it was two there. Good point mp.

The Lep
01/09/2011, 8:13 PM
2 from each group.

GalwayRed
01/09/2011, 8:23 PM
Rubin Kazan are a great side. Better than anything Rovers will have faced so far. Rovers will struggle to get anything from them I reckon. Spurs are one of the favourites to win the competition. Even if they do rest players Rovers will find it very tricky. PAOK are a interesting club. They seem to be a bit all over the place with different managers and such but are a club on the up. They got through this stage of the competition last year and will fancy qualifying again.
I'm sure Rovers will pick up a point or two from the group but I'm not quite sure where the points are going to come from just yet.

BonnieShels
01/09/2011, 8:45 PM
2 from each group.

Then what is he on about dare I ask or did I read that arseways?

mypost
01/09/2011, 8:56 PM
You read it arseways.

We have to get more than what the 3rd place gets. I posted what they usually got in previous years, so we need more than that to get a second spot and qualify.

legendz
01/09/2011, 9:29 PM
Generally 10 points is the aim in a group like this. It's rare, but does happen, that a team will get 10 points and not get through. The team from the UK's Southern League probably will be the toughest opponent. A team from the UK's Northern League has been knocked out at the EL play-off stage these last two seasons. When they are in the EL group 3 years ago, a win and 3 draws was not enough to go through with the second placed team going through with 10 points.

sligoman
01/09/2011, 11:24 PM
http://teesbox.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/a-song-for-europe.jpg

Ireland - Nul Points

ped_ped
02/09/2011, 12:11 AM
http://teesbox.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/a-song-for-europe.jpg

Ireland - Nul Points

Fcukin' hope not!

Acornvilla
02/09/2011, 12:34 AM
I'd say 4 points, beat Paok at home and draw with spurs in the last game, rubin will tear them to bits

osarusan
02/09/2011, 12:50 AM
I went with 0 points - it's what I honestly believe will happen. If Rovers do get any points, I can only see them coming against Salonika.

dfx-
02/09/2011, 3:33 AM
Last two games, 0 points. Before that, who knows. On paper, 0 points in total. On paper Rovers shouldn't be in the group. The away game against PAOK might be somewhere to plunder a defensive point.

Spudulika
02/09/2011, 5:23 AM
Overall Rovers shouldn't have a chance, but I went for 5 points. They should win one match, they might nick a point against Rubin in November (the Russian season will be long finished - an issue our wonderful media don't seem to get), while PAOK might have blown up domestically by next week. Spurs, who knows, a home draw could be in the offing.

culloty82
02/09/2011, 7:52 AM
Went for four - should beat PAOK at home and draw with either the Greeks away or Rubin at home.

pineapple stu
02/09/2011, 8:06 AM
I went with 0 points - it's what I honestly believe will happen. If Rovers do get any points, I can only see them coming against Salonika.
Agree with this, though I voted for one point (home v Salonika)

passinginterest
02/09/2011, 8:32 AM
There would be no shame in coming away with a zero, considering I don't think anyone truly believed they'd make it this far, but I've gone for 3, I think they might just win one of the home games, especially if it's in Tallaght. My wildly optimistic side thinks they might have a chance to sneak second in the group. Of course there are huge financial incentives there for the players, in terms of bonuses, too if they needed any more reason to be motivated.

pineapple stu
02/09/2011, 8:47 AM
My wildly optimistic side thinks they might have a chance to sneak second in the group.
Is this the same wildly optimistic side that reckons the country's debt will be paid off by this time next year? :p

passinginterest
02/09/2011, 8:49 AM
Is this the same wildly optimistic side that reckons the country's debt will be paid off by this time next year? :p

Right up there with the one that's convinced the work syndicate is going to win the Euromillions tonight :D

peadar1987
02/09/2011, 8:51 AM
I went for 4 points. I reckon they'll be able to sneak one win out of six, and hold out for a 0-0 draw in one of the other games.

My main hope is that they compete in all of the games, especially the "glamour tie" against Spurs. Looking like they belong at this level of competition is very important for the league's image, even if they don't get the results.

mypost
02/09/2011, 8:58 AM
There would be no shame in coming away with a zero, considering I don't think anyone truly believed they'd make it this far, but I've gone for 3, I think they might just win one of the home games, especially if it's in Tallaght.

As CLQR2 entrants, the team representing the LOI will always have a chance to win 2 rounds to get into a group phase. We were capable of getting through 2 rounds this time and we did. But other teams can do it too in the future with a good draw, and approaching the games with a positive attitude. Anyone who sees it merely as a holiday, like the NI teams do, are better off at home..

passinginterest
02/09/2011, 9:21 AM
As CLQR2 entrants, the team representing the LOI will always have a chance to win 2 rounds to get into a group phase. We were capable of getting through 2 rounds this time and we did. But other teams can do it too in the future with a good draw, and approaching the games with a positive attitude. Anyone who sees it merely as a holiday, like the NI teams do, are better off at home..

Well yes, agree 100% that teams approaching it with the right attitude are much more likely to succeed. I've mentioned in other threads that the LOI inferiority complex seemed to be fading, particularly in this Rovers team, they looked like they were going into these games with a genuine belief they could succeed, I think the Real Madrid friendly and the Juventus games were a major part of this attitude shift. There was always hope, but there's been so many near misses it was hard to actually believe it would happen, and to turn hope into expectation is the next step. Even Mick O'Neill was willing to admit he never really believed it would happen.

Straightstory
02/09/2011, 11:32 AM
Spurs are mostly going to play a lot of reserves in the Europa. Premiership teams being so strong, they could be safely qualified by the time they play Rovers. I fancy that could be a draw.

mastermind1
02/09/2011, 12:14 PM
Went for an optimistic 8 points but in reality think 5 or 6. Wins at home against PAOK and Rubin, a draw against spurs in last game and possibly a draw against PAOK away.

More realistic, a win at home to PAOK and possibly 1 more win

pineapple stu
02/09/2011, 12:18 PM
Are people aware that Rubin have taken five points from Barcelona in the last two CL campaigns? Rovers realistically have no chance against them. Some way too optimistic predictions here.

ger121
02/09/2011, 12:23 PM
I went for 2 points. Home draws with PAOK and Spurs. The latter, as Spurs will have already qualified by that stage and 'Arry with put out the kids.

mypost
02/09/2011, 3:55 PM
Are people aware that Rubin have taken five points from Barcelona in the last two CL campaigns? Rovers realistically have no chance against them.

Yes we are aware. As we are of Copenhagen's result against them last year. Not that it's much use to them now. Kazan probably went into those games without fear of the opposition. That's what we have to do. Respect them certainly, but don't be frightened of them.

With the games in Tallaght, none of the opposition are going to like coming here on a tight pitch, in variable weather, against a home side with a crowd on top of them, and playing with nothing to lose. Like Copenhagen and Belgrade, Kazan failed to make the grade this year, so now they're in this. We're not going to roll over for them because they got a few good results in the other competiiton last year.

Candystripe
02/09/2011, 4:21 PM
One point I reckon home v Salonika and hopefully keep the score down in the other games.

Hard to believe people are predicting 5+ points.

Depending on what team Spurs put out they could take max points from the group.

bluemovie
02/09/2011, 5:40 PM
2 points and no shame in that either.

Snap.

PAOK are a decent side from what I've heard.

legendz
02/09/2011, 10:05 PM
Better off taking it one game at a time anyways. Rubin Kazan first up at home, hopefully in Tallaght for Rovers, it'll be great if they can get a win there.

Charlie Darwin
03/09/2011, 1:52 AM
Are people aware that Rubin have taken five points from Barcelona in the last two CL campaigns? Rovers realistically have no chance against them. Some way too optimistic predictions here.
Well I'm sure I don't need to remind you that Rovers aren't Barcelona :p

Rubin played above themselves and played out of their skins to get a result against a vastly superior side and achieved it. Rovers will have to do the same when we face Spurs, Rubin and even PAOK. It's a football match and anything's possible - we've beaten a much superior team already in this competition.

Conservatively, I think we'll get more than 1 point, but probably not more than 3. This entire competition is a bonus but I think we'll compete well.

legendz
03/09/2011, 10:08 AM
If the Rubin game is in Tallaght, it'll be a magical night. I'm not underestimating Kazan at all. I just think in the circumstances, Rovers can get a win in that first game, Rovers need a Ray Houghton to make a name for himself like '88 and '94, becoming a legend!

Eminence Grise
03/09/2011, 10:38 AM
Went for two points. The group is a big leap forward, though the goals in the last tie showed the squad can play good football without fear. Six confident performances, with an emphasis on playing the game the way it should be, will do a lot for Rovers' and the league's reputation - it might even yield an extra point or two somewhere. Here's hoping!

holidaysong
03/09/2011, 12:56 PM
I went for two points and I think that might even be too optimistic.

ped_ped
03/09/2011, 1:00 PM
A hard-fought draw in White Heart Lane with a comfortable win for Spurs in Tallaght.
With a large dollop of luck they should be able to carve out a home point against Kazan, but the trip to Russie might be a little too much again.
PAOK would be Rovers' only hope of a decent few points. Might be able to scrape to a home win with a little luck, and an away draw doesn't look like too much of a push.

So, six points.

This is among the best - if not simply the best - squad that a League of Ireland side has assembled. The two new signings are unknown quantities for me, personally, but with the size and quality of the squad they already had, they're well capable of making their mark in the group this year.

Doubt six points would grab them second, mind. Kazan and Spurs would be hoping for full points against PAOK, so third place would be more than respectable.

redobit
03/09/2011, 1:06 PM
The step up in class at this stage is huge. If Shams got 2 points I think it would be a decent return. Playing summer football undoubtely helped them in Europe qualification but will now work against them for some games. Unfortunatlely for the image of the league I think they could be on for a hidin in nealry all the games, but you never know I suppose.

gormacha
03/09/2011, 3:00 PM
Ray Houghton ... a legend!

Hmmmm... to bite or not to bite? I suppose he is a legend in that the goals you speak of were legendary goals because of the competition and opposition, but is he himself a legend? I've always thought of him as a decent pro, well above journeyman status, but well below being regarded as even remotely great. A busy midfielder, with a good header against England, and a fair lucky shot against Italy. And he's a dreadful commmentator - every comment seems to be tinged with the subtext of "jaysus, he's not very good, is he? Now at Liverpool, in my day..." OOhh, how iconoclastic of me.

freewheel30
03/09/2011, 3:45 PM
OOhh, how iconoclastic of me.

No finer beef than that from a sacred cow?

dfx-
03/09/2011, 4:01 PM
A hard-fought draw in White Heart Lane with a comfortable win for Spurs in Tallaght.
With a large dollop of luck they should be able to carve out a home point against Kazan, but the trip to Russie might be a little too much again.
PAOK would be Rovers' only hope of a decent few points. Might be able to scrape to a home win with a little luck, and an away draw doesn't look like too much of a push.

PAOK are a lot better than that, they'll seriously perturb the group...

ped_ped
03/09/2011, 4:11 PM
Well I was being seriously optimistic, and if Rovers are to get a win, you couldn't see it coming against Kazan or Spurs.

I know knock-out is different to a group fixture, but how would Copenhagen and Belgrade compare to PAOK would ye reckon?

legendz
03/09/2011, 4:23 PM
The active UEFA Team Ranking 2012 table has Rovers as the lowest ranked club still competing 234th, Malmo are next lowest 211th and FC København are 40th. Of Rovers group... Totthenham: 28th, Rubin Kazan: 55th and PAOK Thessaloniki: 86th.

dfx-
03/09/2011, 4:24 PM
Well, they knocked out Karpaty Lviv to get to the group who handed an LOI side their rear end on a plate...