PDA

View Full Version : Cowan to Stevanage

Pages : [1] 2

outspoken
31/08/2011, 9:48 PM
Just after hearing Don Cowan has signed for Stevanage of league 1 in England can anyone confirm this I know he was on trial earlier this week.

De Town
31/08/2011, 10:02 PM
Where'd you hear this? We getting money for him?

Longfordian
31/08/2011, 10:03 PM
No idea. Good luck to him if he has. Presumably we got a few quid for him.

Longfordian
31/08/2011, 10:25 PM
Done deal. Undisclosed fee. Sounds like we pushed them hard on the fee all day. Good luck Don!

http://www.stevenagefc.com/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10839~2438101,00.html

Dodge
01/09/2011, 9:54 AM
Pats will be getting some of that undisclosed fee, Rovers too

Longfordian
01/09/2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah I think Stevenage have to pay it rather than LTFC but there'd be a certain amount due alright. 5% of the total fee split between his clubs since he was 12 I think. 0.5% per year he was with the club. Never knew he was with Pats before actually.

Dodge
01/09/2011, 10:50 AM
Was with our schoolboys for most of that 12+ time apparently

Longfordian
01/09/2011, 11:00 AM
I see, well ye should get most of that compensation so. Haven't heard any talk as to what the fee is yet but wouldn't be massive with him being out of contract in November as far as I know. Still it should be enough to see us through comfortably to the end of the season I'd imagine and we'd undoubtedly have lost him for nothing then.

Acornvilla
01/09/2011, 12:35 PM
well if millwall were condiering coughing up 40k whats the chances we'd have gotten 20 odd anyway, damn you sky news bearing the bad news

Longfordian
01/09/2011, 12:48 PM
I'd say it's over 20k alright. Sounds like we drove a hard bargain if the talks were dragging on over the past couple of days. I'm sure it'll come out in due course.

outspoken
01/09/2011, 5:10 PM
Should be getting between 10 and 30 k if Millwall were able to offer 40 anyway best of luck to Don hel be a top play yet wait till you see.

Longfordian
01/09/2011, 6:11 PM
I believe the club are pretty pleased with the figure they managed to get so it's good for everyone!

Acornvilla
01/09/2011, 7:28 PM
I hate secrets!

Acornvilla
01/09/2011, 9:43 PM
While we're on the point of money and whatnot, out of interest does anyone know what we spend on wages a week? and howd the debt looking these days? How many creditors to be paid if any and any idea how much we still owe overall?

Longfordian
01/09/2011, 9:53 PM
Wage bill is somewhere under €3k a week I think. A lot of the old, individual creditors have been cleared I believe through the work of the Supporters Trust but there's bank and other loans that were taken out over the years and have to be paid. Could still do with finding a few more Dons and getting a wedge for them!

Martinho II
01/09/2011, 10:47 PM
heard the news late last night. I am disappointed he has gone as I wanted him to get into double figures in goals scored. I think Mark Salmon will finish top scorer as he is only two goals behind Don Cowan with seven. Great move for Don. In the short year he spent with us he made some impression both in the ground and section o. I hope that he will get a chance. Great for the club financially and I think Daniel Purdy is the perfect replacement. Thanks for the memories Don there were plenty! Hes a shoein for goal of the season but how can you present the trophy when he is no longer at the club?Q for all.. what is dons best ever goal?

Salmon Coloured
02/09/2011, 9:28 AM
Best of luck to Don. He did his bit while he was here & you cant blame a young guy for trying to move up in his career, no disrespect to us etc. Hope the claw wedge we got was satisfactory.
People can say what they want but this has been our best season in 4 years.

Longfordian
02/09/2011, 10:04 AM
Agree with all of that, we're making definite progress and if we can hold onto the rest of our players and add a couple in the right areas we should be in contention next season.

LangfordIAN
02/09/2011, 11:44 AM
Hello from Stevenage!

Just to let you know, there is a degree of doubt over the deal as explained here: http://www.thecomet.net/stevenage-fc/boro_still_wait_on_cowan_1_1011161. Hopefully all will get resolved ok as from what I've read on here Don sounds a great prospect. What are his strengths? Sounds as though he has pace and power. Can he dribble? Is he a good passer? Is his attitude good?, Although not the tallest, is he good in the air?

Maybe if this deal can't be concluded, we'll be able to loan Don (when the loan window opens)with a view to a permanent transfer in January.

Anyway, Longfordian, not trying to knick your user name, this is my usual message board user name as I come from a village called Langford. Caused a slight degree of amusement on our m/b when they saw your name on here so I told them they've found me out, that I support 2 teams!

cestlavie
02/09/2011, 12:22 PM
Fine player, look very good at Finn Park earlier in the season, big and strong plentyof pace. Gud luck to him, big loss for the Town.

outspoken
02/09/2011, 9:45 PM
To answer Marty's question Dons best goal for me would be his goal against Finn Harps at home from just outside the area.. magic!

outspoken
02/09/2011, 9:46 PM
Also agree with Martinho that Purdy is the perfect replacement and I think him and Skelly could be another great Town partnership, hopefully Aussie wil step up and become our main striker now.

Acornvilla
02/09/2011, 10:38 PM
I'm kind of hoping the guys we brought in will end up being better than aussie, I don't rate him immensely, he does a job but meh

outspoken
03/09/2011, 11:06 AM
I'm kind of hoping the guys we brought in will end up being better than aussie, I don't rate him immensely, he does a job but meh

At the start of the season Don and Aussie were the perfect team but since the Aussies lost his way a little but I can see him coming back to his best he has the ability to be a good player. I can see himself and purdy being a great partnership Aussie will be the target man and can flick them down for Purdy who will hopefully be a good finisher.

Acornvilla
03/09/2011, 12:44 PM
I wish he held the ball up more, he has the tenancy to try and flick everything which is pointless, and 9/10 we would loose the ball, while on the other hand don would hold it up.

Say next season, players like Aussie won't get us promoted, you need someone better, hes fine for lower and mid table clubs but nothing more, he is certainly better than what we had last season, so no disrespect to the lad, but if we wan't to keep going in the right direction he would have to be replaced in pre season, like a few of the defenders

Martinho II
03/09/2011, 2:32 PM
outspoken that goal of don cowans against harps was that in the league at home? it must have being very early in the season when he scored that goal?

Cabs88
03/09/2011, 4:32 PM
Fair play hope it works out for him, he started the season very well for us but I think we got overly reliant on him, and his form of late has suffered but i think that has something to do with him being away on trials etc.. As for the rest of the season if we can consolidate our 5th placing it would be a very good season and hopefully we can push on again next year

Acornvilla
03/09/2011, 7:46 PM
aussies doing alright tonight anyway :D

shame about the defense

outspoken
03/09/2011, 9:05 PM
outspoken that goal of don cowans against harps was that in the league at home? it must have being very early in the season when he scored that goal?

Not that long ago Martinho it was the 3-2 at home.

outspoken
03/09/2011, 9:07 PM
Well I was right about 1 thing Auusie stepped up to the mark but Purdy was fairly poor and I'm just amazed TC took Skelly off and not Purdy, even when hes not playing well hes a player capable of producing magic such as his 2nd goal tonight and we have very few players that can produce that magic so thats why I wouldnt agree with Acornvilla's comment that hes only for midtable teams.

Martinho II
04/09/2011, 8:03 PM
heard at the game last night that the transfer fee was £35k sterling with addons for appearances..subject to the international clearance coming through.. checked one of the local stevenage papers still no word as of yet. link to it is on the prev page on this thread!

outspoken
05/09/2011, 4:47 PM
Hello from Stevenage!

Just to let you know, there is a degree of doubt over the deal as explained here: http://www.thecomet.net/stevenage-fc/boro_still_wait_on_cowan_1_1011161. Hopefully all will get resolved ok as from what I've read on here Don sounds a great prospect. What are his strengths? Sounds as though he has pace and power. Can he dribble? Is he a good passer? Is his attitude good?, Although not the tallest, is he good in the air?

Maybe if this deal can't be concluded, we'll be able to loan Don (when the loan window opens)with a view to a permanent transfer in January.

Anyway, Longfordian, not trying to knick your user name, this is my usual message board user name as I come from a village called Langford. Caused a slight degree of amusement on our m/b when they saw your name on here so I told them they've found me out, that I support 2 teams!

Hello there, to answer your questions his main strengths are his blistering pace and power. His hold up play is excellent and despite his small height he does win the odd header/flick on and scored a wonderful back header chicarito style for us earlier in the season. He has a rocket of a shot but his finishing needs slight improvement, excellent attitude and a real nice lad to talk too youve picked up a real star, best of luck this season

Dodge
05/09/2011, 5:04 PM
Posted by LangfordIAN

Has to be a pseudonym for Longfordian

How much you making on the deal Longfordian/LangfordIAN? ;)

Longfordian
05/09/2011, 5:17 PM
I'll happily sell my highly original and creative username for a very reasonable fee..

LangfordIAN
06/09/2011, 12:43 PM
Hello there, to answer your questions his main strengths are his blistering pace and power. His hold up play is excellent and despite his small height he does win the odd header/flick on and scored a wonderful back header chicarito style for us earlier in the season. He has a rocket of a shot but his finishing needs slight improvement, excellent attitude and a real nice lad to talk too youve picked up a real star, best of luck this season

Thanks for that - he does sound a great prospect. If the fee as reported above is £35k + add ons, then our manager must have seen this, whether by video evidence, a scout at your matches or advice from somebody at Millwall, because we ain't a big club and 35k is a lot of money for us to pay for a player untried at our level. Still no news yet re the international clearance. I'll let you know when I hear anything.

Best of luck to you, too. Have you got many games left, as your season is from Spring to Autumn isn't it? What sort of gates do you get at your level in Ireland, just out of curiosity? Also whilst I'm at it, Longford isn't exactly a well known town this side of the Irish Sea and I just wondered which part of Ireland you are and what the population is.

wullie
07/09/2011, 10:38 PM
If you look at the Irish community which is based around the Luton and Bedford area they would know where Longford is. especially as it is a town and a county, even in Stevenage there is quite a few descendents of the Irish who would know where Longford is. Best thing for information is to Google it.

Martinho II
08/09/2011, 8:01 PM
Langford our av gate is 300. we are based in the midlands and has a population of 10k.our season runs from march till october each yr. our season runs from march to oct

L.T.F.C.
08/09/2011, 8:50 PM
our season runs from march till october each yr. our season runs from march to oct
So good you had to say it twice!

Longfordian
08/09/2011, 11:33 PM
Presume there isn't any major problem with his clearance or it'd have come out by now. He hasn't come back to us yet anyway! Langford your boss reckoned he'd seen "a decent amount of him", seems yer reps/scouts watched him five times for us then he came over on trial for a few days and did well.

LangfordIAN
09/09/2011, 3:57 PM
300 is pretty good for your population. Stevenage pop is 80,000 with gates around the 3000 mark, so 8x 300 = 2400, which is very good given that we're playing a level of football (I would guess, and not meaning any disrespect) that is a notch or two up in standard.

LangfordIAN
09/09/2011, 4:05 PM
This is what somebody posted on our forum today re an interview with our manager Graham westley:

"GW's latest boroplayer interview he mentions he doesn't know why it's taking so long and said there's a new system, so maybe it got lost.

Also, apparently he's stayed with us and training with us.

Glad to hear we were very thorough with our scouting, etc.

Said something about putting our name against the player on the system, the Irish FA couldn't find the player, it went to the FA who gave it to UEFA and so on."

LangfordIAN
12/09/2011, 2:14 PM
Latest news here:

http://www.thecomet.net/stevenage-fc/boro_hope_for_cowan_clearance_this_week_1_1019692

Acornvilla
12/09/2011, 4:20 PM
We used to get gates of 1-1.5k before we relegated didn't we?

Stevenage just got itself a few new fans anwyway :P

Longfordian
12/09/2011, 4:56 PM
We might have got close to that in the first year up but by the last few years the average was well down from that. We could get that kind of crowd if there was a large travelling support but that was only a few times a season. Good to hear the clearance is almost sorted, I'm sure the club will be looking forward to receiving the money! Hopefully he can do well over there.

Acornvilla
12/09/2011, 5:01 PM
Just checked the attendances thread according to stu our last 3 seasons in the PD were ''885 PD; 681 PD; 1,004 PD'' 885 being the year we went down.

This seasons average attendance is 388 according to him, i've been at a few games we're we've had a crowd well above that but also plenty well below

Macy
13/09/2011, 8:25 AM
i've been at a few games we're we've had a crowd well above that but also plenty well below
I think the clue is in "average"...

Acornvilla
13/09/2011, 9:11 AM
I think the clue is in "average"...
Insinuating I think it's probably a tad lower

where's an eye roll smiley when I need it

Edit: :rolleyes:

LangfordIAN
13/09/2011, 11:53 AM
It's now a done deal:

http://www.stevenagefc.com/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10839~2449275,00.html

I'll try and keep you informed as to how he's getting on.

outspoken
13/09/2011, 4:02 PM
Attendances started off slightly better than last season but they dipped fairly quickly when we lost a few - sunshiners

Martinho II
13/09/2011, 9:42 PM
It's now a done deal:

http://www.stevenagefc.com/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10839~2449275,00.html

I'll try and keep you informed as to how he's getting on.

see that is no picture of don cowan in a stevenage jersey on yer website. I assume that was because ye were waitin on international clearance for him!