Would give us:

Shels 73
Monaghan 68
Cork 66
Limerick 63

What do we reckon?? :ball:

adamd164
31/08/2011, 8:18 PM
It'll be tight. Automatic promotion for 1st and 2nd and a two-legged playoff with Galway for whoever finishes in 3rd spot.

Galway aren't exactly a daunting prospect in their current state so 3 would be expected to go up. That said, I hope we don't need the playoff!

CSFShels
31/08/2011, 8:42 PM
Looks alot tighter due to the fact that our game in hand over Limerick and Cork isn't shown there. In reality, if we don't win this league it will be a catastrophe.

Lim till i die
31/08/2011, 8:55 PM
I only really meant twas tight in the context of second to fourth tbh, as above I'd expect Shels to win it handy.

BonnieShels
31/08/2011, 9:13 PM
Ah sure. We couldn't throw it away, again? Could we?

gormacha
31/08/2011, 10:52 PM
Ah sure. We couldn't throw it away, again? Could we?

No, I doubt it. It's a very weak division, and I just don't see how you could drop enough points not to win it. (Before anybody points it out, I'm aware of how poor Waterford United must be to languish sixth in a division this poor. Painfully aware.)

Going on what I have seen of these teams this year, I would expect Shels and Mons to take the top two spots. Then its a fight between Limerick and Cork for the playoff. I don't think Limerick have come up to the standards expected after spunking all that cash, but I still think they'll pip Cork to third spot. One can hope at least. :)

razor
31/08/2011, 10:53 PM
Ah sure. We couldn't throw it away, again? Could we?Depends on the odds I guess.

bluewhitearmy
31/08/2011, 11:01 PM
Limerick will be out of promotion race by Saturday night im sure.

CSFShels
31/08/2011, 11:14 PM
Depends on the odds I guess.
Ah to be fair, for us to be able to throw anything, we'd need to be able to rely on your lot to beat the likes of Wexford, Mervue and Athlone.

BonnieShels
31/08/2011, 11:15 PM
Depends on the odds I guess.

Well I'd say we are probably odds on to bottle it. Not worth betting on.

Or risking the penalty for doing so! ;)

CraftyToePoke
01/09/2011, 1:49 AM
I have maintained for a bit that Limerick would need a bit of a cushion in third coming into the final series due to the trips to all three other contenders to come. I would love to be proved wrong, but Limerick dont have the look of a side about to do the necessary. I think it will be Shels, Cork and Monaghan.

micls
01/09/2011, 4:15 AM
I'd take that now. Obviously I'd prefer the auto promotion but I'd fancy our chances in a playoff and the only thing that matters is going up.

I think the cup games could affect us. We don't have a big squad and a couple of injuries plus the games piling up over the 2 cup weekends in September could hurt us.

Tomorrow night is vital. If we beat Limerick I'll be confident of top 3. If they beat us it could spur them on hugely.

I think we'll probably drop points against Waterford, they always seem to up their game against us, and Mons, who we've struggled to beat for the last 2 years. We'll also drop a few points where we shouldn't like Wexford last time, maybe against Longford.

On our form over the season, I think we'll take a minimum of 16 points from the 8 games. That would only put us on 63. If we lose against Limerick that could well not be enough. 20 points and i think we have the playoff at least.

It'l certainly be interesting.

My guess:

Shels 72
City 67 (2nd on GD)
Mons 67
Limerick 58

It's dependent on us beating Limerick. More blind optimism than conviction but still :)

monsexile
01/09/2011, 6:46 AM
I doubt we'll take as many points as you suggest. Harps is a tester for us on Saturday for starters - coming off the back of a disappointing midweek result and with Harps having turned it around winning 3 of the last 4. Otherwise, Cork, Mervue (bogey team), Limerick and Shels matches could go either way. Be gutted to miss out after being in the mix for almost two years now.

CSFShels
01/09/2011, 11:25 AM
I doubt we'll take as many points as you suggest.
Nor will Cork take that many so I wouldn't worry. One would assume there are plenty more draws down the road for them.

SPXcyan
01/09/2011, 12:57 PM
I'd like to see Shels, Cork and Limerick go up, I think they'd be a great addition to next seasons premier league and the first division will be fairly competitive I'd think.

fionnsci
01/09/2011, 12:59 PM
I'd like Shels, Cork and Limerick up. Would make for a good premier division.

monsexile
01/09/2011, 1:37 PM
All this love for Cork and Limerick and Shels. Tell you what, why not let them up, go back to one division and feck off the rest of the teams.

frenchman
01/09/2011, 1:46 PM
I had thought of doing this but it all gets very complicated and decided it was too early...that said, if things go united's way this weekend we could be 5 points clear of limerick WITH A GAME IN HAND. but I think we need to wait another 3 weeks until they all play each other (the same weekend I think)....but on paper we should be more than capable of winning 5 out of 6 and then drawing against shels, cork and limerick which should do it. at least for the ''semi -automatic'' spot.

MagicMon
01/09/2011, 2:23 PM
winning 5 out of 6

I hope you've factored in Mervue there

Rasputin
01/09/2011, 3:00 PM
I hope Mons, Cork and Limerick go up.
Enough Dublin away trips as it is without Shels going up.

Lim till i die
01/09/2011, 3:42 PM
I hope you've factored in Mervue there

Mervue don't have Rory Gaffney anymore.

I'm not saying they are a one man band but does make a huge differenc imo

razor
01/09/2011, 3:49 PM
Ah to be fair, for us to be able to throw anything, we'd need to be able to rely on your lot to beat the likes of Wexford, Mervue and Athlone.If our last 2 games are anything to go by, we're learning.

Lim till i die
01/09/2011, 3:55 PM
If our last 2 games are anything to go by, we're learning.

He's Shels fan, cup games don't count.

nigel-harps1954
01/09/2011, 4:02 PM
Personally I'd love to see Monaghan go up. Whether its through play-off or automatic it doesn't matter. They deserve it at this stage, sadly I can't see it though. It's looking like Shels first, Cork 2nd and Limerick 3rd.

Longfordian
01/09/2011, 4:05 PM
Mervue don't have Rory Gaffney anymore.

I'm not saying they are a one man band but does make a huge differenc imo

They were, more or less, a two man band with him and Tom King from what I saw of them. Still as we've just sold our top scorer too then I'm not all that confident about playing them on Saturday. We do have Daniel Purdy to come in who looks a player but he's young.

GalwayRed
01/09/2011, 4:28 PM
Tis tightish!

Shels 53
Cork 47
Monaghan 46
Limerick 44

Shels:

Wexford (H) W
Mervue (A) W
Limerick (H) D
Athlone (A) W
Monaghan (H) D
Waterford (A) W
Finn Harps (H) W
Salthill (A) W
Cork (H) L

What do we reckon?? :ball:
We have a pretty handy run of away games left. Waterford is the most tricky looking away fixture but for some reason we always seem to win down there. We should be capable winning all 4 of those.
The 5 home games are more worrying though. Limerick and Monaghan could go either way really just depends on what type of form we are in. At this stage I would hope we don't need anything going into the Cork game on the last day of the season.

gormacha
01/09/2011, 8:36 PM
I'd like to see Shels, Cork and Limerick go up, I think they'd be a great addition to next seasons premier league and the first division will be fairly competitive I'd think.

Hmmm... with all due respect my fellow Blue, who cares what the PD looks like when we're not in it? I don't care who goes up, but I would like a few handy away days next season, so it'd be great if Cork and Limerick somehow both managed to not get promoted. As that's unlikely, I'd settle for Mons, Shels and Limerick going up. At least we'd be guaranteed a couple of away wins at the cross next season then.

razor
01/09/2011, 9:00 PM
I would hope we don't need anything going into the Cork game on the last day of the season.you and us both.

Acornvilla
01/09/2011, 9:26 PM
They were, more or less, a two man band with him and Tom King from what I saw of them. Still as we've just sold our top scorer too then I'm not all that confident about playing them on Saturday. We do have Daniel Purdy to come in who looks a player but he's young.

I think himself and Crawley look decent forwards, we mightn't miss Don as much as I 1st feared, we will catch 3rd yet :D I want king back as well hed improve us a lot i'd wager

I'd actually rather Cork,Lims and Shells to go up with Galway going down if i'm honest, I like mons but Roddy makes my skin crawl..

bluewhitearmy
02/09/2011, 12:10 AM
Personally I'd love to see Monaghan go up. Whether its through play-off or automatic it doesn't matter. They deserve it at this stage, sadly I can't see it though. It's looking like Shels first, Cork 2nd and Limerick 3rd.

Out of interest why? They are in the best position of Us,Them and Cork.

micls
02/09/2011, 4:01 AM

Agreed. It's completely in their own hands. If Monaghan don't go up they have no one to blame but themselves, unless a wall falls down or something.....

I think Limerick have the most work to do but there's not enough of a gap for anyone bar Shels to get complacent.

nigel-harps1954
02/09/2011, 5:58 PM

I don't know to be honest, I just can't see it. Can't give a vaild reason, nor will I give some sorry excuse, I just don't see it happening. I think all round Limerick have a stronger team and will pip them to it. I just vision a cave in as such of Mons for the rest of the season. Feel free to prove me wrong or quote me come the end of the season if I'm wrong, but it's just what I see happening.

TiocfaidhArmani
02/09/2011, 6:03 PM
I just hope we can shake the bad feelings going about lately and kick on from where we were. Getting a little nervous now, as I'm sure most Shels fans are. We should beat Wexford, but we should also beat the likes of Sheriff as well.

bluewhitearmy
02/09/2011, 7:12 PM
I don't know to be honest, I just can't see it. Can't give a vaild reason, nor will I give some sorry excuse, I just don't see it happening. I think all round Limerick have a stronger team and will pip them to it. I just vision a cave in as such of Mons for the rest of the season. Feel free to prove me wrong or quote me come the end of the season if I'm wrong, but it's just what I see happening.

I really hope you are right.

Jofspring
02/09/2011, 10:26 PM

The main problem there is we have the history of bottling it whenever any bit of pressure is on. I hope your right though.

bluewhitearmy
03/09/2011, 2:16 AM
We will show how good at bottling we are tomorrow and that will be that for us.

micls
03/09/2011, 5:59 AM
I certainly hope all the Limerick fans are right about tonight!

gormacha
03/09/2011, 8:38 AM
Cork v Limerick has draw written all over it.

I think the Harps-Mons game is more essential to Mons than the Cork-Limerick game is to Cork or Limerick promotion chances. I think Mons need to win to keep whatever doubts they may have about their own chances in check. A Cork/Finn Harps double spells doom for Mons, methinks. Don't get me wrong - I think Mons have been great this season, but I get little sense of confidence in their ability to see it out. A bit like Shels or Waterford in prevous seasons...

legendz
03/09/2011, 10:10 AM
I disagree with the Limerick brigade. I think this will be the game where Limerick go for it. They have to, there's very little margin for error now. Mons should win their Ulster derby.

bluewhitearmy
03/09/2011, 10:25 AM
I disagree with the Limerick brigade. I think this will be the game where Limerick go for it. They have to, there's very little margin for error now. Mons should win their Ulster derby.

We have had to go for it in loads of games this year and our fantastic manager hasnt. Surely at home is the place to go for it and we havent beaten a good team there in years.

MagicMon
04/09/2011, 11:04 PM
2 points dropped this weekend and it could well have been 3. I think the Salthill game could be important, a good win by a few goals and would get the confidence and goal difference up for the run-in. IRWT I suppose!

Sam_Heggy
05/09/2011, 7:40 AM
Mons can count themselves lucky to get a point on Saturday.
Gabriel Sava produced the save of the century from a Kevin McHugh header in the second half. He also made a run of the mill wonder save when Kevin McHugh thought his effort was sailing into the top corner.
Monaghan were very poor, never really threatened our defence and the 3 other sides in the promotion battle look a cut above them at the minute.

monsexile
05/09/2011, 7:47 AM
I said before the game that I'd be content with a draw as Harps are a much different proposition than at the start of the season. We're two ahead of Limerick with a game in hand and thats effectively 3 with our goal difference advantage of 8. Got to a) win and b) bolster goal diff v Cork against Salthill at home next week and then get something in Cork the week after. But as Roddy says they are all cup finals now

gormacha
05/09/2011, 11:36 AM
Gabriel Sava produced the save of the century

This seems to be a regular occurance with Sava. He must have saved at least four/five efforts that would have most likely have been goals against any other FD keeper in his last two games against Waterford United alone, and he was brilliant at the RSC in last season's play-off game. Best keeper in the division. IMHO etc.

El-Pietro
05/09/2011, 2:34 PM
Sava is by far the best keeper in the division. Not even close, I'm tempted to say that Mark McNulty might be the next best based on the improvement hes shown this season (prior to the game against Limerick)

nigel-harps1954
05/09/2011, 3:04 PM

*cough*
People are underestimating Harps now. What we're seeing at the minute is the Harps we should have been seeing all season. Bit late now but 3 wins, a draw and one loss against Shels in the last 5 is the kind of form you don't want to come up against.

nigel-harps1954
05/09/2011, 3:06 PM
Indeed Gabriel Sava has to be the best keeper in the division. That save from McHugh's header no more than 6 yards out was one of the best saves I have ever seen in Finn Park or indeed anywhere else. Totally put Gallaghers wonderful save from Brennans free kick in the shade. Top top keeper and if Mons aren't promoted I'd fully expect him to be picked up next season in the Premier.

passerrby
05/09/2011, 3:33 PM
Agree Nigel harps will take points of a lot of teams in the run in I always felt that the wed game would have an effect on our proformance however harps were impressive.
I agree to that sava is the best in the first div and has saved us on more than one occasion .
as for the run in all teams in contention will drop points it will in my opinion cone down to the last two weeks

TiocfaidhArmani
07/09/2011, 10:38 AM
I'd imagine the top teams in the first division should win this weekend, some good games coming up after that though.

monsexile
07/09/2011, 3:05 PM
Having the Cork game put back means that Limerick will have two matches more played than us after next weekend. Psychologically might be important dropping to fourth.