PDA

View Full Version : Tickets selling like "hotcakes"

Pages : [1] 2

Counting Crow
06/07/2004, 9:12 PM
Got some tickets last night, and some more tonight, from the Horseshoe and the guy behind the bar said they were going like "hotcakes".

He reckons from talking to people that it will be a full house on Sunday. Basing it on how tickets for other matches have sold in the past, this one is selling out quickly.

Can't wait.

LOADS OF NOISE AND COLOUR FROM EVERYONE PLEASE!!!!!

eoinh
06/07/2004, 10:27 PM
Got some tickets last night, and some more tonight, from the Horseshoe and the guy behind the bar said they were going like "hotcakes".

He reckons from talking to people that it will be a full house on Sunday. Basing it on how tickets for other matches have sold in the past, this one is selling out quickly.

Can't wait.

LOADS OF NOISE AND COLOUR FROM EVERYONE PLEASE!!!!!

Im in Cork tomorrow - are there any oulets in the town centre where i can get tickets?

CorkCityFootie
06/07/2004, 10:43 PM
Im in Cork tomorrow - are there any oulets in the town centre where i can get tickets?

Tickets are available at the following outlets

• The Club Shop.
• The Horseshoe Inn.
• The Lough Laundrette.
• Lennox's Laundrette, Bandon Road.
• Connie's Chipper, Cathedral Road.
• Murphy's Chipper, Gerald Griffen St.
• Cashman's Bookmakers, Maylor St.
• The Anglers Sports Lounge, Blarney St.

Credit card bookings on 021-4319781, subject to a €1 booking fee per ticket.

kevincronin2000
07/07/2004, 7:13 PM
just got my tickets in the horseshoe. There was people in before and after me buying tickets. Any body who uses this forum and intends going to the match get off your seat now and go buy them now.

Thats all we need is real city fans outside the ground and barstoolers inside the ground because they were beaten to tickets

And according to to-nights echo nec are bringing 400 fans with them. Which game can anyone remember with the highest amount of away fans at turners cross?

Counting Crow
07/07/2004, 8:21 PM
The famous title decider vs Pats a few years ago ( when RTE put their hex on us ) - we lost 2-1.

Pats had a big following that day. The usual corner of the D Forde Stand and 1/3 of the St Annes end was full of Pats fans. Great atmospher as the ground was jammed that day.

The biggest of all though was when we played Rovers their ( remember their home game ) - we had about 4,000 that night!!!!!!!!! :D

dahamsta
07/07/2004, 9:39 PM
Met Barbara when I was getting my tickets today, she reckoned it was going to be a sellout too. I just hope the lads live up to it. :eek:

adam

Snatch
07/07/2004, 11:13 PM
Which game can anyone remember with the highest amount of away fans at turners cross?

I'd say there was bigger contingent down from Dundalk for the ill-fated title finale in 1991 than the big Pat's game in '99. Tom McNulty, we'll never forgive you :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mind you, there were some very big away turnouts in Bishopstown too. I remember being pure surprised to see so many come over from Glasgow for a pre-season friendly! ;)

A face
08/07/2004, 8:33 PM
v.who......?

V no one ..... he is taking the píss ..... out of all the West Brits that follow Sell-Thick over here.

Counting Crow
08/07/2004, 9:17 PM
Intersting post his, actually.

Look at tonight's Echo and the picture of "Super Keeper" making another brilliant save.

In the background, all you can see are Celtic jerseys..........pitifull. Definately the biggest away support at The Cross.........which is, quite simply, embarrasing when you consider that 80% of them were from within the boundaries of our fair City. :mad: :rolleyes:

Talking to people this week there have been more people telling me they are going to the game on Sunday that haven't been to the Box since (probably) THAT game - it's unreal!

They will, more than likely, be the type to start the jeering ( particularly at Georgie ) if we're not 3-0 up after 15 mins.

Let's show them what we have going at The Cross these days!!!!

Storysham
08/07/2004, 9:25 PM
Talking to people this week there have been more people telling me they are going to the game on Sunday that haven't been to the Box since (probably) THAT game - it's unreal!

They will, more than likely, be the type to start the jeering ( particularly at Georgie ) if we're not 3-0 up after 15 mins.

Let's show them what we have going at The Cross these days!!!!

Gave up asking my buddies to go to games, fair enough a few are going to the nimijen game, only cos i raved about it. The last game they came to was the 3-2 home win over bohs last season when george scored in the last minute, didnt come back after even that game, no pleasing some people.

Counting Crow
08/07/2004, 9:35 PM
Yeah, but they'll sit on a stool and rant and rave about a 1-0 result between the likes of Spurs and Charlton.................un fu*king believable, really.

Maybe it's Andy Gray! :rolleyes:

We should get him to introduce "hit the bar" etc

Imagine - "C'mon on Cooooorrrrrrrrk Ciiiiiiiiiiiitaaaaaaaay" in a Scottish accent! :D

A face
08/07/2004, 9:47 PM
The last game they came to was the 3-2 home win over bohs last season when george scored in the last minute, didnt come back after even that game, no pleasing some people.

Man ... give up .... that was a great game and what a finish. I'd say its more of a case that they just dont have a clue.

Gary
08/07/2004, 10:10 PM
Its pointless, and at this point, just repetitive. They dont care, or want to care, they prefer to live in this fools fantasy that they are football fans.

Though my favourite excuse i ever got from a guy (former friend) for not coming to a game, just to try it it was "but i wouldnt know any of the players names". Sad, isnt it? Of course the same fella is one of those massive Liverpool fans who have never been to a game in Anfield.

Anyway, roll on sunday.

Snatch
08/07/2004, 10:20 PM
Though my favourite excuse i ever got from a guy (former friend) for not coming to a game, just to try it it was "but i wouldnt know any of the players names". Sad, isnt it? Of course the same fella is one of those massive Liverpool fans who have never been to a game in Anfield.

He was probably a neighbour of a City player or two himself!

You're better off without friends like that Gary! ;)

sullanefc
09/07/2004, 12:49 AM
Gave up asking my buddies to go to games, fair enough a few are going to the nimijen game, only cos i raved about it. The last game they came to was the 3-2 home win over bohs last season when george scored in the last minute, didnt come back after even that game, no pleasing some people.

That was the best game I have ever seen at the cross. If you can't convince them from that game then you cant convince them after that. Leave them off to support their bloody liverpool.

pete
09/07/2004, 10:27 AM
Who cares if sunshiners come back or not. Club will still make €16 per head. The core city support will still sing & support the team.

thecorner
09/07/2004, 10:41 AM
last time i brought friends to a game was the worst game the cross has ever seen

the boring 0-0 draw with pats at the start of the season.

needless to say they never came back

but then again id say there was even regulars contemplating never coming back after that game

good to see though that this might be the first sell-out since the cup semi-final against derry

applehunter
09/07/2004, 11:34 AM
The cross should be packed on Sunday. Hopefully we can get a win and go through. I cant see it not being a sell out. People who never go to City matches that I know are planning on going. Hopefully they arrive on the day and find its sold out. :D

Lets hope its a great weekend for Cork in hurling and soccer.

pete
09/07/2004, 11:41 AM
The cross should be packed on Sunday. Hopefully we can get a win and go through. I cant see it not being a sell out. People who never go to City matches that I know are planning on going. Hopefully they arrive on the day and find its sold out. :D

Lets hope its a great weekend for Cork in hurling and soccer.

Personally I could care less of hurling, full house not such a big matter either... All i want is for City to get to next round however that achieved!

thecorner
09/07/2004, 11:48 AM
Personally I could care less of hurling, full house not such a big matter either... All i want is for City to get to next round however that achieved!

i'll second that

applehunter
09/07/2004, 11:53 AM

Well Im just responding to the title of the thread, which was about ticket sales and i really dont care if u dont care if the hurlers win. And i dont really care if u dont really care that the there is a big crowd is there on Sunday.

Personally, i hope its a sell-out. The more the merrier.

pete
09/07/2004, 11:55 AM
Well Im just responding to the title of the thread, which was about ticket sales and i really dont care if u dont care if the hurlers win. And i dont really care if u dont really care that the there is a big crowd is there on Sunday.

I don't care u don't care. We agreed & not caring ;)

one_bounce
09/07/2004, 12:07 PM
I'd say there was bigger contingent down from Dundalk for the ill-fated title finale in 1991 than the big Pat's game in '99. Tom McNulty, we'll never forgive you :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mind you, there were some very big away turnouts in Bishopstown too. I remember being pure surprised to see so many come over from Glasgow for a pre-season friendly! ;)

i was in a taxi recently with the dundalk cb that day (murphy).. great chat about city and el in general... he told me that that day at the cross was the most memorable of his life... couldnt believe the size of the crowd and the passion of the support

f*cker also told me he pulled morley back in the box to stop a def goal and couldnt believe the ref didnt see it... def peno....ah well
ill never forget the crowd and the dissapointment that day :(

thecorner
09/07/2004, 12:14 PM
ill never forget the crowd and the dissapointment that day :(

ill never forget the flag the dundalk fans had

some pair of t*ts on that flag :D

one_bounce
09/07/2004, 12:18 PM
ill never forget the flag the dundlak fans had

some pair of t*ts on that flag :D

hahaha i remember it well...f*ckers marched around the whole ground with it... the phantom whistler was in the shed for that game!.. interview in the fanzine an all in his balaclava!! classic stuff

Jim Smith
09/07/2004, 12:37 PM
Just back from Lennox's (about noonish) and they had a few left. They thought that the kids tickets would be gone by today and you might be OK for adult tickets in the morning. It might just sell out :D

yiddo
09/07/2004, 1:53 PM
Hope it sells out but its not a big deal if it doesn't. We had sell outs before and the next week the crowds were way back down. The important thing is that I think City's core support is growing. The number who will come to each game regardless. I think that number is definetly up. Take for example a few ago the crowd against Bohs was poor but a few seasons back you'd have taking in hundreds on a night like that. You'll always get a big crowd a few times a season but I think to get a solid say 3500/4000 every game is much more significant in the long run.

sullanefc
09/07/2004, 2:04 PM
Hope it sells out but its not a big deal if it doesn't. We had sell outs before and the next week the crowds were way back down. The important thing is that I think City's core support is growing. The number who will come to each game regardless. I think that number is definetly up. Take for example a few ago the crowd against Bohs was poor but a few seasons back you'd have taking in hundreds on a night like that. You'll always get a big crowd a few times a season but I think to get a solid say 3500/4000 every game is much more significant in the long run.

Yeah but it was p!issing out of the heavens that day. On a fine evening you easily would have 4000 instead of the 1500 that showed up. I think people would be worried that if the Stand, Derrynane Road and Shed are all full (which they regularly are) then they would be forced to sit in the St Annes end in the ****ing rain. If that side was covered then people would have no excuse to not come. Rain or no rain.

Although I do agree, the core support is up. And correct me if I'm wrong but it started growing significantly when John O Flynn and George O Callaghan arrived, and we started playing pretty football. ITV collapse has been brilliant for the football in the EL.

thecorner
09/07/2004, 2:06 PM
. And correct me if I'm wrong but it started growing significantly when John O Flynn and George O Callaghan arrived, .

so we have gunther to thank for the growing crowds :D

sullanefc
09/07/2004, 2:08 PM
so we have gunther to thank for the growing crowds :D

In a funny way, yeah :o But I think ITV was a bigger factor.

tiktok
09/07/2004, 2:17 PM
To be honest, i think the switch to Friday night football from Sunday afternoons has helped a large amount. You definitely see more city jerseys being worn around the city, which is IMO a good indicator of a growing core support.

sullanefc
09/07/2004, 2:29 PM
For sure. Friday night football has definitely helped. Flood lights were a great addition to the ground.

yiddo
09/07/2004, 2:49 PM
sullanefc wrote
Yeah but it was p!ssing out of the heavens that day. On a fine evening you easily would have 4000 instead of the 1500 that showed up

You missed my point and I suppose the fact I wrote taking instead of been talking didn't help :o. What I was trying to say was that few seasons back we wouldn't have got 1500 for any game on a very wet night like that. We'd have done well to get half that figure.
Definetly the change to Friday nights and the influx of younger players to the team has raised the profile of the club around town.

sullanefc
09/07/2004, 2:58 PM
sullanefc wrote

You missed my point and I suppose the fact I wrote taking instead of been talking didn't help :o. What I was trying to say was that few seasons back we wouldn't have got 1500 for any game on a very wet night like that. We'd have done well to get half that figure.
Definetly the change to Friday nights and the influx of younger players to the team has raised the profile of the club around town.

Yeah, I see the point you are making now. It's all progression tho, which is good. Did I hear somewhere that they are goint to roof the St Annes end? Something like this would increase that 1500 attendance even further. People wouldn't have an excuse not to go if it was raining.

pete
09/07/2004, 4:02 PM
I presume they'll hold some tickets back for the NEC Nijmegen fans so probably be a few left over on the day for any they don't use...

If the game is a sellout the club should milk the pubicity with a lareg poster outside the cross to inform people passing by.

Éanna
09/07/2004, 5:08 PM
according to 96 fm the club shop is stayin open til 930 pm tonight and will open again at 11 tomorow morning because of demand! :)

yiddo
09/07/2004, 8:12 PM
Pat McAuliffe speaking with Con Murphy on tonights Radio 1 Friday night sports programme said that up to last night City had sold 4500 tickets and hoped to sell the capacity which was 7200.
Pat McAuliffe also did a short piece on the 6.01 tv news where he interviewed Pat Dolan at the Cross. Dolan spoke very well about how City were putting Irish football on the map for people in Europe especially in Sweden and Holland. BTW the pitch and the ground in general looked very good.

Storysham
10/07/2004, 2:20 AM
capacity 7200 me hole, theyd fit in at least 9000

Counting Crow
10/07/2004, 8:28 AM
Getting back to the crowds in general and the overall interest in the team. I think there is definately a kinda "Spice Boy" feel to the team in the last couple of years.

Without a doubt Flynny and Georgie attracted younger fans initially ( george changing his hair style / colour has appealed to the rebels also ).

But now you have Doyler, Kearney, Fenn, Danny Murphy, Captain Dan etc, etc - young and trendy about town. Add the international touch with Nawankwo and it's a good package that appeals to the kids / youngsters ( both male and female ).

If you compare these to the great players of old ( don't compare the skill level just their personal appeal / style etc ) such as:
- Kelvin Flannigan ( would frighten his mother )
- Mark Herrick ( had the style of a communist road sweeper )
- Liam Murphy ( the personality of a fish )
- Dave Barry ( funny guy but looked old even when he was 24 )
and let's not forget chain smokin'...
- Patsy Freyne ( sweet Je$u$ - enough said )

'tis a wonder we got any one at all under the age of 40 at games 10 years ago :D

Éanna
10/07/2004, 10:08 AM
capacity 7200 me hole, theyd fit in at least 9000its not what they WOULD fit, its what they're ALLOWED to fit. I think you could easily get 8,500 at least in there, but we would probably get fined for it.

ccfcman
10/07/2004, 2:07 PM
theyre strolling out the door lads-THEY WILL KEEP SOME BEFORE KICK OFF

ccfcgirl
10/07/2004, 4:23 PM
I was in the club shop they reckon tickets will defiantly all sell i got the prgramme

pete
13/07/2004, 9:10 AM
The cross officially has 5800 seats. Do idea how could fit another 3000+ in the ground as would say shed can fit 1500 at a squeeze.

NorthoftheLee
13/07/2004, 9:29 AM
The cross officially has 5800 seats. Do idea how could fit another 3000+ in the ground as would say shed can fit 1500 at a squeeze.

official seating = 5800
shed = 1500
corner + front wall shed end + both sides of donie + both sides of st. annes + back of st annes = 700ish

total = 8,000ish

Gary
19/07/2004, 5:41 PM
Lads, tickets for the game on Saturday are flying out the door in double quick time. Even faster than what they did for the NEC home game.

Better move quick, otherwise you could be very dissapointed.

dahamsta
19/07/2004, 5:56 PM
Make sure ye come along to my Birthday Beers (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=15788) when it's over. I was hoping the match'd be on in the afternoon like NEC so I could go along, but it's all arranged now and I have to be there to meet people. So who's going to text me updates during the match?

adam

De Town
19/07/2004, 5:59 PM
Lads, tickets for the game on Saturday are flying out the door in double quick time. Even faster than what they did for the NEC home game.

Better move quick, otherwise you could be very dissapointed.

i know this is posted on loads of threads already but i couldnt be bothered to go and look for them so where can you get the tickets? when do you think they will they be sold out by? Cheers

dahamsta
19/07/2004, 6:01 PM
It's in this thread for god's sake! First page! :)

De Town
19/07/2004, 6:04 PM
........sorry :o

Ruairi
19/07/2004, 6:08 PM
i don't understand the saying "selling like hot cakes",i've never bought a hot cake in my life, even when i got up especially early to try and buy a hot cake in a cake shop, which you would assume sells hot cakes early in the morning.