PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk 0-1 UCD (latest)

John83
06/07/2004, 8:29 PM
Courtesy of the Cairk Examiner:
"A goal by Mick O'Donnell after 15 minutes has put the students 1-0 against Dundalk in the eircom First Division."

Schumi
06/07/2004, 9:10 PM
Courtesy of the Cairk ExaminerLatest scores in a newspaper? Very impressive. :)

Finished 1-0 so we're back top.

pineapple stu
07/07/2004, 5:29 PM
eleven-a-side report - Hit the post twice in the first half, scored and generally dominated, then went to sleep for the second half - why?!?!

UCD hit the top

Dundalk 0-1 UCD
An early goal from Mick O’Donnell helped UCD back to the top of the First Division table on Tuesday night as Dundalk’s winning sequence came to a crashing halt against the championship favourites.

O’Donnell pounced on a mistake in the Dundalk area following a College corner to fire a shot past Chris Bennion to the home net after 14 minutes.

And that proved the only goal as Dundalk, chasing the win that would have lifted them into the top four for the first time this season, were unable to claw back the deficit.

The win extends UCD’s unbeaten league run to 13 games although they remain just a point clear of Bray Wanderers at the top.

Three minutes after his goal, O’Donnell came close to extending the Students’ advantage, this time forcing an excellent save from Bennion.

Skipper Tony McDonnell almost got in on the act later in the half as the visitors dominated the scoring chances, his header from a Pat Sullivan corner coming back off the woodwork with Bennion beaten, and the First Division’s top scorer Willie Doyle came within inches of netting his 13th of the season when volleying against a post 11 minutes before the break.

Garry Haylock had Dundalk’s best chance of the opening period but fired wide, and in truth UCD keeper Neil Gallagher – who joined College from Dundalk before the start of the season – had a relatively comfortable night between the sticks for the visitors.

Dundalk: Bennion, Coburn, Clarke, Noonan, McGuinness, Dunne (B. Kelly, 56), Kavanagh, Marney, Quinn (S. Kelly, 56), Haylock (Duffy, 84), Vaughan.

UCD: Gallagher, Mahon, Kenna, McAuley, McNally, McDonnell, Dickers, Sullivan, O’Donnell, Doyle (Martin, 78), McWalter (Kierans, 70)

pineapple stu
07/07/2004, 5:35 PM
Interesting couple of comments on the Dundalk forum (http://www.thephoenixpub.com/cgi-bin/iKonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=SF;f=1) (threads called "UCD" and "What's happening?")

The Dundalk fans are saying that they're generally impressed with the way we kept the ball and passed it around, and with our fitness, though it does seem like we sat back in the second half as usual... :mad:

John83
07/07/2004, 8:27 PM
from one fo the posts there:

It's a pity about them playing "you kick, no you kick it, no you kick it" in the 16th minute.
I assume he meant "from the 16th minute". It seems to nicely sum up our method of defending a lead though, and I don't see that working at all in the Premier. :(

pineapple stu
07/07/2004, 9:39 PM
He means Dundalk I presume...must have missed a fairly good chance!

pineapple stu
07/07/2004, 9:46 PM
Just saw this as well -

Did anyone notice the UCD left back take an unusual throw in directly in front of the stand in the first half?
For once,none of his team were available to receive the ball,.........so he threw it at Robbie Dunne's back and received the rebound,and played on.

Longford Town and Eric Lavine anyone?! Left-back, of course, was Rob McAuley!!! :D

setanta
08/07/2004, 12:54 PM
The goal was scored by Willie Doyle. The papers got it wrong! It came from a corner on the right, taken by Micko - so he was not in the area to score. The Dundalk defence hesitated about clearing it, leaving it to each other and Willie squeezed it in at the near post - hence the 'leave it to you.......' comment (in the 16th minute) from the Dundalk fans.

Another oportunist goal from Willie - in the right place at the right time again.

UCD were just about getting on top when they scored, after Dundalk had started the better, and they stayed that way for a while, but Dundalk came back and for most of the second half were on the attack. UCD defended well but they made life tough for themselves as they just kept booting the ball up field and it came back as quick again. However, Gallagher was not put under pressure. He did have a wobbler when he had to clear a back pass and he shanked it, but it came to no danger, and overall, he did well.

McAuley did do that cheeky thing - throwing the ball at the back of the Dundalk winger (who was not looking at him), and taking the rebound.

Dundalk could be sore about not getting something from the game, and UCD could be regarded as being lucky to have taken the 3 points.

It was a sweet win and Dundalk will not make life easy for the other leading teams.

Roo69
08/07/2004, 1:52 PM
It was a sweet win and Dundalk will not make life easy for the other leading teams.

Dundalk 0 - 6 Bray :D

Can't get much easier !

Schumi
08/07/2004, 3:00 PM
He means Dundalk I presume...must have missed a fairly good chance!
I took that to mean for our goal.

More classic stuff from Robbie Mac. :)

The goal scorer confusion is interesting, will that be fixed I wonder? I reckon Micko should be left with the goal, Doyle has enough to keep him happy for the moment. :D

setanta
08/07/2004, 3:17 PM
Yeah! But that was Gannon's first game and he seems to have got them into better shape since then. Anyway, Bray are a cracking team, except when they play UCD!

Roo69
08/07/2004, 3:29 PM
Yeah! But that was Gannon's first game and he seems to have got them into better shape since then. Anyway, Bray are a cracking team, except when they play UCD!

Bray, a cracking team ! i dont know what to say about that ? We will defo get promoted, but will we stay in the premier ? hmm

pineapple stu
08/07/2004, 6:58 PM
The goal scorer confusion is interesting, will that be fixed I wonder? I reckon Micko should be left with the goal, Doyle has enough to keep him happy for the moment. :D

But if Willie Doyle scored, then he's only two off the record for a season! Reckon this has to be clarified with the people in question!

Newspaper mentioned Sully as taking the corner - suppose, given his new hairstyle, he could have been mixed up with Micko!

Delighted to take three points from there though, as Gannon's been doing a good jobs by the looks of things (not too hard to improve on Anderson though...). A win tomorrow and we could be 13 points clear of fourth! :D

pineapple stu
10/07/2004, 1:04 AM
The goal was scored by Willie Doyle.

Thou are indeed wise in the way of the goalscorer! Willie Doyle it was, though George Casey, who said he was at the game, said that Micko scored...

Anyway, after failing to score tonight ( :mad: ), he still needs just two for to break the record held by Micko in 1994/95 and 1995/96.