PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers

Pages : [1] 2

Philly
26/08/2011, 12:27 AM
I'm not a Rovers fan (KCFC 'till they died!), but I think it's borderline embarrassing that their players are given no attention here yet every move Lapira (for example) makes is updated.

We have very few players playing in the Europa League of CL this year. Rovers have qualified for the group on their own merit and with a vast majority of Irish players. Who does anybody who actually knows what they are talking about think could make the senior step-up from Rovers to international level? I couldn't care less for the usual "Irishman v. LOI" rubbish. If anyone has an honest opinion on Rovers players and their Ireland chances lets hear them!

osarusan
26/08/2011, 12:48 AM
I think Trapattoni, after going to a Bohs game a couple of years ago, said he basically wouldn't pick any LOI players. They'd have to move abroad first.

ped_ped
26/08/2011, 12:52 AM
There's a vast gulf between who could step up and who has an actual chance. I for one can't see Trappatoni considering any Rovers player for a call-up, though on the strength of their performances, surely Dennehy, McCabe and a host of their central midfielders could be considered for at least a pre or post season trainign camp to show what they can do.

Rovers have shown their class tonight, and if they give a good account of themselves against some decent European teams this Autumn surely their squad deserves a scouting. If they get routinely hockied in the group, with no stand-out performances, however, maybe Trap could be forgiven for still overlooking them.

TL;DR
Dennehy, McCabe, Finn, O'Donnell, etc.

btw I haven't seen enough of him defensively to judge, but Stevens seems to be quite comfortable going forward. Impressed me against Juve last year, and in the games I've seen him in since. Any opinions on him as a prospect?

freewheel30
26/08/2011, 1:12 AM
Well Sullivan was arguably the best performer over the two legs so he'd probably be one of the first in line; I think Trapattoni also made mention of McCabe as far back as last year's cup final at the Aviva. McCormack definitely has potential as well, but they'll probably all need to reproduce their great performances in the forthcoming group games to really stand a chance of gaining caps.

theworm2345
26/08/2011, 1:19 AM
I'm not a Rovers fan (KCFC 'till they died!), but I think it's borderline embarrassing that their players are given no attention here yet every move Lapira (for example) makes is updated.
Unfortunately, Lapira did get a cap while not a single Rovers player has (I'm not saying its right, but its a fact, though likely to change soon as Ryan Thompson could get called up for Jamaica). Thats why I keep up to date with his moves, if Stan hadn't decided to usher in a new low and throw him on I really wouldn't care.

DannyInvincible
26/08/2011, 3:01 AM
Ryan Thompson was already capped for Jamaica in 2004. Although not whilst at Rovers.

I've always held Ken Oman in very high esteem. He's an absolute brute. He was fantastic when playing with Derry anyway. Conor McCormack is another excellent player and still only 21. Same for Ronan Finn although he's a bit older.

Who else?... Oh, reckon we could poach Chris Turner? ;)

theworm2345
26/08/2011, 3:26 AM
Ryan Thompson was already capped for Jamaica in 2004. Although not whilst at Rovers.
Egg on the face!

DannyInvincible
26/08/2011, 3:28 AM
Egg on the face!

I can understand why someone might assume he'd never been anywhere near an international set-up though.

Charlie Darwin
26/08/2011, 3:41 AM

I've always held Ken Oman in very high esteem. He's an absolute brute. He was fantastic when playing with Derry anyway. Conor McCormack is another excellent player and still only 21. Same for Ronan Finn although he's a bit older.

Who else?... Oh, reckon we could poach Chris Turner? ;)
Turner is more than good enough for the Northern Ireland squad. It's the same as Mannus - if the SPL came knocking he'd be the first name of Nigel's teamsheet.

Speaking as a Rovers fan, no player on our team could immediately make the step up to international football. If they went full-time and performed well in Europe, I think Finn, Stevens and McCormack would be able to make the step up. Oman is a quality LOI defender but he's too slow to make it at international level.

theworm2345
26/08/2011, 3:43 AM
I can understand why someone might assume he'd never been anywhere near an international set-up though.
I run a website on Caribbean Football and am a regular at The Reggae Boyz forum...no excuses!

Murfinator
26/08/2011, 8:49 AM
Nothing thread irrelevant to the Irish team, move to rubbish please.

elroy
26/08/2011, 8:55 AM

We have very few players playing in the Europa League of CL this year. Rovers have qualified for the group on their own merit and with a vast majority of Irish players. Who does anybody who actually knows what they are talking about think could make the senior step-up from Rovers to international level? I couldn't care less for the usual "Irishman v. LOI" rubbish. If anyone has an honest opinion on Rovers players and their Ireland chances lets hear them!

In fairness you will find plenty of discussion on them in the LOI section. Realistically I dont think any would merit a call up right away but there is a few of the younger lads who have a chance. Have been very impressed with Stevens and think he could make the step up in the next few years - a good europa league campaign would have him attracting many 'bigger' clubs.

Stuttgart88
26/08/2011, 9:47 AM
I think every section of foot.ie should havea thread on rovers' achievement. Sensational.

I can't comment on who may be good enough for the senior team, but plenty of LOI players have been in the underage teams of late.

jbyrne
26/08/2011, 9:57 AM
Nothing thread irrelevant to the Irish team, move to rubbish please.

nothing post irrelevant to this thread, move to rubbish please

boovidge
26/08/2011, 9:59 AM
To be fair, the reason why there is little LOI discussion on here is because successive Irish management teams have failed to show any interest in selecting LOI players. Rovers' fantastic achievement could be the dawn of a new era for the LOI or it could be a flash in the pan. If it's the former then hopefully this will force the Irish management (as well as the public) to take a closer look at the domestic game.

ifk101
26/08/2011, 10:07 AM
Considering that a growing number of our senior internationals have a LOI background, I don't see why a clearly talented footballer like Ronan Finn shouldn't be in the frame for a senior call-up.

Chris Turner should be in the NI squad anyways. Call him up Nigel or otherwise we will!

Kingdom
26/08/2011, 10:41 AM
I would have said before that Oman should be playing at a higher level - but that sounds very wrong after last night. He's a fine centre half and any team he's a member of looks weaker without him. Given how many kids are associated with the National team at centre half, unproven or not rated at club level (Clark/O'Dea), there's no reason why he shouldn't be considered if he performs as one would expect him to in the group stages

Enda Stevens has been technically very good anytime I've seen him, he's a current 21 and it's a position we're weak in. He's an obvious candidate. Haven't seen as much of Finn, but loads of good reports about him.

The one player I'd jizz myself over is McCormack. Very young, continental background, and looks composed on the ball. He'll shine in the group stages I'd reckon. He's the one to watch.

Stuttgart88
26/08/2011, 11:09 AM
Is it feasible for LOI players to go straight into international footbal though (excepting the minnows, obviously). The LOI is beginning to look like a great foundation stone for player development in the international context with c.10 ex-LOI players in or around the senior squad right now. However, I still think that these guys need some time in "finishing school*" to make the transition.

* not talking about goalscoring here!

John83
26/08/2011, 11:33 AM
Is it feasible for LOI players to go straight into international footbal though (excepting the minnows, obviously). The LOI is beginning to look like a great foundation stone for player development in the international context with c.10 ex-LOI players in or around the senior squad right now.
It'd be very nice to see that be the case: any number of players start out in the third flight or lower in England and gradually work their way up, and if the LoI was widely seen a viable alternative route, I think everyone would benefit from it. Lots of other countries do this.

However, I still think that these guys need some time in "finishing school*" to make the transition.

* not talking about goalscoring here!
I suspect it's only true of some of them - I remember an LoI fan pointing out a little bitterly that Kevin Doyle was suddenly good enough for international selection after a pre-season with Reading but not before. Probably the difficulty is figuring out who does and who doesn't. Games at the level of the group stages of the Europa league might be interesting to Trapattoni for that purpose. Or not - who knows?

OwlsFan
26/08/2011, 11:52 AM
As a Shamrock Rovers supporter since the 1960s I am thrilled that they have made it through to the group stages of the Europa League. However, I have heard all these arguments before and I recall a few LoI players representing Ireland but it doesn't work out long term. If they are good enough, they go abroad and that's a fact. By way of example, Stephen O'Donnell was signed by Arsenal, didn't get a game, moved to Falkirk and then came home. A useful player but not international class. Is there a clamour in Scotland for Gary Twigg to play for them? I doubt it.

Let's just rejoice in the achievement. If anything as a friend of mine said, it's a vindication for Summer football as well.

Roll on Spurs!!

Stuttgart88
26/08/2011, 12:01 PM
Can't wait to go to the Spurs game here.

Robbie should have stayed. He could have acted as a Tallaght spy.

Murfinator
26/08/2011, 1:05 PM
nothing post irrelevant to this thread, move to rubbish please

Its an International forum, OP didn't even specify any particular players its just a nothing trashy post looking for an empty excuse to talk about shamrocker rovers. Small minded bull****.

geysir
26/08/2011, 1:26 PM
I was well pleased for the Hoops last night but I've moved on from that today.
They are in with some chance to equal Dundalk's efforts against Spurs in European competition. But that would be a hard task.

jbyrne
26/08/2011, 1:31 PM
Its an International forum, OP didn't even specify any particular players its just a nothing trashy post looking for an empty excuse to talk about shamrocker rovers. Small minded bull****.

far more relevant to Irish football than this...
http://foot.ie/threads/140172-Mikel-Arteta?highlight=

i think the dismissing of the thread is small minded tbh

ifk101
26/08/2011, 1:32 PM
As a Shamrock Rovers supporter since the 1960s I am thrilled that they have made it through to the group stages of the Europa League. However, I have heard all these arguments before and I recall a few LoI players representing Ireland but it doesn't work out long term. If they are good enough, they go abroad and that's a fact. By way of example, Stephen O'Donnell was signed by Arsenal, didn't get a game, moved to Falkirk and then came home. A useful player but not international class. Is there a clamour in Scotland for Gary Twigg to play for them? I doubt it. !

Most are realistic of the step up from LOI to senior international, not least LOI fans. However every player should be judged on his individual merits, not his club address. Eventually the best players in the LOI move abroad. It is likely that some members in the current Rovers squad will move abroad. International recognition doesn't necessarily need to follow the move abroad.

Btw unlikely many consider O'Donnell senior international standard, especially when he isn't an automatic starter for his club.

passinginterest
26/08/2011, 1:41 PM
Enda Stevens is the obvious one to make the step up. He's been outstanding in most of the European games, even if he was mostly at fault for the goal last night. He's already a regular in the under 21 side and will now have the chance to further prove his talent in the group stages. He may just lack a little pace to be a top-class international but he might just make it. It'll more than likely take a move to England for that to happen and to be honest I can see why, it is a much higher level of opponent week in and week out, but it would be great to see someone like him get a call up prior to making the move.

paul_oshea
26/08/2011, 1:44 PM
Having watched their games on streams in Europe this season, continually the most impressive would be Conor Mccormack, he is a very good outlet for the defense and full backs, and also a very good man marker. Very good on the ball also with making space for himself. Reminds me of the few games i saw of keith fahey in the League of Ireland.

Turner is good and so is Stevens, but McCormack for me is the stand out. Kilduff has been a very good impact sub too.

Thompson would be top class if he wasn't so erratic.

paul_oshea
26/08/2011, 1:48 PM

Organising with a good few already, who normally wouldn't have any interest in irish soccer, international a fair amount i suppose, so should see ye there. We can get celtic jerseys and iron off the sponsor ;)

paul_oshea
26/08/2011, 1:49 PM

It would be ok if it were munster, or tipp hurling though.

passinginterest
26/08/2011, 1:49 PM
McCormack has been excellent but I think he might be just a bit too small to make it. He's a fantastic tackler and decent on the ball in fairness he could do well in one of the European leagues, but I'd worry that he's not quite technically good enough for the like of Spain or Portugal and not quite physically big or strong enough for the likes of Germany or England. He still has time to develop though and defeinitely worth keeping an eye on in the group stages.

paul_oshea
26/08/2011, 2:34 PM
Wes holohan is hardly a giant either nor was andy reid - mccormacks passing wouldn't be as good as reids im not comparing like for like in that sense- but i think size can be overcome, the rest you might well be right about.

I think stevens has a few too many shortcomings defensively, yet, to be a permiership player, which is realistically what you ahve to think about as european leagues dont seem to have any interest in our players.

ifk101
26/08/2011, 3:00 PM
Having watched their games on streams in Europe this season, continually the most impressive would be Conor Mccormack, he is a very good outlet for the defense and full backs, and also a very good man marker. Very good on the ball also with making space for himself. Reminds me of the few games i saw of keith fahey in the League of Ireland.

Don't see that myself. What I've seen of McCormack his strengths would be breaking up opposition play while Fahey's strengths would be creative - ie playmaker.

CraftyToePoke
26/08/2011, 3:07 PM
I think some of these players will go on to provide international options for us, as so many LOI players have done of late, some of this Shamrock Rovers side should have that in them, but there is also the number of players who shone in LOI but have found their levels further down the leagues cross channel, O'Flynn, O'Donovan and Mooney spring to mind, I think a good way of taking an early look, and recognising the talent presently in LOI would be a 'B' international against decent opposition, with our fringe UK based lads and the better LOI players involved in that squad. It would also help them if they were looking to move, profile wise maybe.

This wouldnt seal the deal as regards a player being good enough long term or not, but would be a useful exercise.

Charlie Darwin
26/08/2011, 3:11 PM
I can only find one link on it but Sunderland are supposedly interested in Enda Stevens. Makes sense as he's been with the 21s for some time now. Hands off our boys, Niall Quinn!

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/sunderland-eyeing-shamrock-rovers-left-back-enda-stevens-1836601

McCormack is young enough for the 21s too. I don't know why he hasn't been picked.

gastric
26/08/2011, 10:55 PM

He now can for Rovers in their pursuit of victory over Spurs!!

tricky_colour
27/08/2011, 12:01 AM
It will be interesting to see how Shamrock get on, especially against Spurs, they might get hammered
but then again anything can happen, especially as Spurs are without their top striker.

Hopefully it will be something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floGPzbUMxY

Arsenal beat Partizan 6-1 on aggregate recently in the Champions League.

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2011, 12:29 AM
It will be interesting to see how Shamrock get on, especially against Spurs, they might get hammered
but then again anything can happen, especially as Spurs are without their top striker.

Hopefully it will be something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floGPzbUMxY

Arsenal beat Partizan 6-1 on aggregate recently in the Champions League.
Robbie Keane?

Noelys Guitar
27/08/2011, 1:00 AM
I can see Rovers getting to the knockout stage. Especially if they have Oman back. Do not under estimate this team or their management. Hard to pick out the outstanding player there have been so many. McCormick reminds me of David McCreery the old NI midfielder. Does exactly the same job. And yet Rovers can bring in someone else and they will do a slightly different but just as effective hjob for the team. Great management. How good a manager is MON (and the introduction of Jim Magilton as assistant)? Clough and Taylor like. Surely the next NI manager team duo (while remaining in charge of the hoops. How ironic would that be). And there is no way this Rovers team will get hammered by anyone (ala Hearts). This is a match fit, band of brothers professional team. Magic week for football fans.

Colbert Report
27/08/2011, 2:23 PM
I can see Rovers getting to the knockout stage. Especially if they have Oman back. Do not under estimate this team or their management. Hard to pick out the outstanding player there have been so many. McCormick reminds me of David McCreery the old NI midfielder. Does exactly the same job. And yet Rovers can bring in someone else and they will do a slightly different but just as effective hjob for the team. Great management. How good a manager is MON (and the introduction of Jim Magilton as assistant)? Clough and Taylor like. Surely the next NI manager team duo (while remaining in charge of the hoops. How ironic would that be). And there is no way this Rovers team will get hammered by anyone (ala Hearts). This is a match fit, band of brothers professional team. Magic week for football fans.

Have you seen the bookie's odds on them to progress past the group stage? It simply won't happen. They're very likely to lose all six matches.

elroy
29/08/2011, 9:00 AM
McCormack has been excellent but I think he might be just a bit too small to make it. He's a fantastic tackler and decent on the ball in fairness he could do well in one of the European leagues, but I'd worry that he's not quite technically good enough for the like of Spain or Portugal and not quite physically big or strong enough for the likes of Germany or England. He still has time to develop though and defeinitely worth keeping an eye on in the group stages.

Its often quoted here that we have some players who the English/Scottish/Irish game doesnt suit them but if they were to ply their trade on continent, they would reap much greater success. Im not sure I entirely accept that analysis well certainly not on a general level anyway. But with an Irish team now at the level of European competition where others take notice, perhaps a few of the scouting network of the European clubs will take in a few of the SR's games. If they like what they see, then maybe there will be an opportunity to forge links with such. Ive never been a fan of the narrow focus that if they are good enough they can go to the UK. The wider the options the better.

As for SR's qualifying for the knockout stage, id love to see but I really dont there is a chance of that. Spurs and Rubin K are going to be immensely difficult. They are teams with very recent (and very impressive) CL experience. I dont think they will lose all games, I think they will pick up a few points. The real hope is that they are competitive. I think as Irish football fans, they owe us nothing but to be competitive in their six games (particularly against Spurs, which the barstoolers will judge Rovers off) would be fantastic.

mypost
30/08/2011, 6:30 AM
Have you seen the bookie's odds on them to progress past the group stage? It simply won't happen. They're very likely to lose all six matches.

If you believed the bookies (or even paul_oshea), you would have stuck your house, car, and bank account on Partizan qualifying before last Thursday. And would have ended up with egg on your face.

paul_oshea
30/08/2011, 9:16 AM
As Eamon Sweeney(sorta) said that egg tastes nice. ;)

I am more than happy to acknowledge I got the away leg very wrong, and your optimism while I didn't feel at the time was well grounded in your belief that they would win, you were right. :)

But while we are here you did say they were more than capable of scoring 3 at home against Copenhagen too.

DannyInvincible
30/08/2011, 8:56 PM
Aston Villa lining up a move for Enda Stevens, apparently: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Aston-Villa-line-up-full-backs-Alan-Hutton-Tottenham-Enda-Stevens-Shamrock-Rovers-article793090.html

McLeish is also poised to sign left-back Enda Stevens from Irish side Shamrock Rovers.

He hopes to agree a fee of around £250,000 for Stevens, whose Rovers side upset Partizan Belgrade to reach the Europa League's group stage.

Real ale Madrid
30/08/2011, 9:02 PM
Considering that a growing number of our senior internationals have a LOI background, I don't see why a clearly talented footballer like Ronan Finn shouldn't be in the frame for a senior call-up.

Chris Turner should be in the NI squad anyways. Call him up Nigel or otherwise we will!

Well if he wouldn't call up Mannus, he'll hardly call up up Turner!

DannyInvincible
31/08/2011, 1:08 AM
According to Dan McDonnell on Twitter, Stevens will join Aston Villa in January.

pineapple stu
31/08/2011, 8:05 AM
Just wow. Did not see that coming after Ryan Guy ran him ragged at the Bowl three years ago, after which he was dropped and never played for us again. Still, great to see another former Student moving up in the world; best of luck to him.

paul_oshea
31/08/2011, 8:29 AM
Aston Villa lining up a move for Enda Stevens, apparently: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Aston-Villa-line-up-full-backs-Alan-Hutton-Tottenham-Enda-Stevens-Shamrock-Rovers-article793090.html

When I read this I hoped that they might postpone it until January. This is a win win for both parties, and if he impresses further in the European games then perhaps Rovers can get more money for him.

Still kinda sad to see this happening after making the breakthrough.

pineapple stu
31/08/2011, 8:34 AM
Don't think it's sad at all. It shows players that the LoI is a viable place to go and advance yourself, not just a pub league. It shows young players that they can stay at home, get an education, play LoI and still be able to move to England at 21/22 - and be much the better for it too (compared to moving to England at age 16).

Players move on; that's the way of things for all bar the very top teams in the very top leagues.

paul_oshea
31/08/2011, 9:03 AM
I know, and same happened that copehagen side from last year, hence why they are playing in the EL this year. Its great for the league again, as it vindicates players developing here, and then the clubs etc being rewarded for this, and in turn keeping them sustainable.

THe point is more, that after making the breakthrough that you LOI fans wanted so much, that now the team could well be dismantled and pulled apart. Whats left then? Another 10 years before another breakthrough. Its not a conveyor belt of similar talent coming up through the ranks, and they cant go abroad and buy like other European clubs to replace with a similar level.

DannyInvincible
31/08/2011, 9:11 AM
The likes of Kevin Doyle, Keith Fahey et al have all departed the league but the breakthrough still came. Those who move on are replaced. The departure of Enda Stevens won't be any different.