PDA

View Full Version : Nantes

Pages : [1] 2

Neil
06/07/2004, 12:19 PM
Is the first leg aganst Nantes home or away ? ie. story on 23/24 July?

thecorner
06/07/2004, 12:23 PM
Is the first leg aganst Nantes home or away ? ie. story on 23/24 July?

as far as we can make out we are away first

Colm
06/07/2004, 12:27 PM
as far as we can make out we are away first

as far as we can make out Cork City or NEC are away first.

Lets not jinx it folks....

thecorner
06/07/2004, 12:28 PM
as far as we can make out Cork City or NEC are away first.

Lets not jinx it folks....

oops :o

slip of the tongue

Peadar
06/07/2004, 12:35 PM
slip of the tongue

Perhaps you shouldn't type with your tongue then.

The train from Paris to Nantes can take 3 hours from what I can work out.
It wouldn't be too bad to get the ferry from Cork and drive down I suppose.
Not trying to jinx anything but there's no harm knowing where Nantes is like.

tiktok
06/07/2004, 12:42 PM
Not trying to jinx anything but there's no harm knowing where Nantes is like.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe/france.gif

head west-south-west of Paris past LeMans, down near the coast. It's a 3.5 hour drive, 2.5 hours by train from paris (CDG).

It has it's own airport, though it's difficult to get direct flights, Ryanair fly into La Rochelle about an hour North, but as it's school hoilday time flights out of standstead are expensive now, the car on ferry option could be the best option, it's about three and a half hours south of Cherbourg.

btw, It's obvious I've looked into it and I know that we have to beat NEC to get there (which is a much tougher task than Malmo) but as I've said before, it's best to be prepared as we'll only have five days to set this all up.

thecorner
06/07/2004, 12:48 PM
It wouldn't be too bad to get the ferry from Cork and drive down I suppose.

thats all well and goog but the ferry doesnt return til the following week and doesnt sail til saturday nights

timetable (http://www.brittanyferries.ie/index.cfm?articleid=912)

NorthoftheLee
06/07/2004, 12:49 PM
lads checked thisx out yesterday..just incase like..not jinxing or anything.....

the ferries only go and comeback on saturdays..so that means a week over and you wont even get to see the match......

as for flying....gettting to nante is ridiculously expensive at over 1200 euros....

i think the best for people is to fly over on the friday to paris...hire a car and drive the 3-4 hrs to nante...

flights from dublin as little as 144 and from shannon.. about 270 to ryanairs paris place where a car will cost abour 160 for the weekend.......

Peadar
06/07/2004, 12:52 PM
a car will cost abour 160 for the weekend.......

Our car cost eur95 for the weekend with eur25 for diesel.
5 comfortable in the car.
Well I was comfortable in the front anyway :D

tiktok
06/07/2004, 12:53 PM
There is stanstead and the channel tunnel express train to paris, could be cheaper

Peadar
06/07/2004, 1:02 PM
the channel tunnel express train to paris, could be cheaper

The cheapest I could work the Eurostar (http://www.eurostar.com/dctm/jsp/index.jsp) for was:

London Waterloo Int - Paris Nord 5 passenger(s) 297.50 GBP
Outward journey 23/07/2004
Departure time 14:09
Arrival time 17:53

Paris Nord - London Waterloo Int 5 passenger(s) 247.50 GBP
Return journey 25/07/2004
Departure time 15:19
Arrival time 16:54

Those prices are total for 5 people.
I picked 5 people on the basis that they could hire a car in Paris and drive the rest of the way.
The train from Paris to Nantes is an option too though.

City Hero
06/07/2004, 1:15 PM
Flights to Nantes are available through Gatwick with Air France and another airline (don't know the name).

Cork-Paris with Aer Lingus, or Shannon-Paris with Ryanair, and then get the train would probably be best. The train is less than 100 euro return I think.

Ferries only go once a week I think and typically they travel at the weekend (out saturday, back sunday).

If anyone is considering driving remember that alot of motorways in France are tolled. La Rochelle is approx 100 Km. Any other town that you are likely to get to with Ryanair etc would be at least 100 km also. It's kind of in the middle of no where from that point of view.

Peadar
06/07/2004, 1:19 PM
Didn't Jetmagic fly Cork Nantes direct?

They also flew Cork - Brussels International as far as I remember.
That would have been nice for them last weekend.
They'd still be alive if they had a decent booking system.
Must have had the worst website in the industry!

pete
06/07/2004, 1:46 PM
Brittany Ferries lousey times & they booked out.

Rosslare to Roscoff 16th Out
Cherbourg to Rosslare 19th Back

3-4 hours drive ach way.

Unfortunately Irish Ferries (http://www.irishferries.com/) quoted €1500 for 5 people this morning which does not seem right.

tiktok
06/07/2004, 1:48 PM
wrong weekend Peadar AFAIK, you're a week too late.

Quick check (for five).......

Flying to Stanstead from Dublin (€73 each) on the 17th
hire a car (€15each before petrol, 1.4L Ford Focus diesel ;) )
drive via the Eurotunnel (€52 each) coming back on the morning of the 19th

there would be a lot of driving in this so petrol could cost another €20 each (at a strectch) Even then though, you're talking €150 euro pp

throw in a cheap hotel/hostel in Nantes, and a cheap b&b on the way back to Cherbourg for the Sunday night and you could still bring it in under the €200 mark.

niamh
06/07/2004, 1:55 PM
Nantes is about a four drive, but the roads are brilliant out there.
Huge city. Nice stadium.

James
06/07/2004, 1:58 PM
Nantes is about a four drive, but the roads are brilliant out there.
Huge city. Nice stadium.

ah the sunshine fans are coming out of the woodwork :)
hahah :D

Peadar
06/07/2004, 2:03 PM
wrong weekend Peadar AFAIK, you're a week too late.

Oops, my mistake.

How about this.
You collect the car in Paris.

Total: £545.33
Avg/person: £109.07
(This total includes items selected below and taxes. )

1 Review the trip details

Train summary
Fri 16-Jul-04
London Waterloo Int
Depart 13:41 to Paris Nord
Arrive 17:23 Eurostar / No 09030

Rates and conditions:
5 LOISIR
Total travel time: 2 hr 42 min

Sun 18-Jul-04

Paris Nord
Depart 12:19 to London Waterloo Int
Arrive 13:55 Eurostar / No 09027

Rates and conditions:
5 LOISIR
Total travel time: 2 hr 36 min

Car hire summary

Fri 16-Jul-04

Counter and car in terminal

Counter in terminal, shuttle to car

Shuttle to counter and car

Information not provided

Avis Midsize 4-door car: air conditioning, manual transmission, unlimited mileage. Pick up:
Fri 16-Jul-04 18:00 Drop off:
Sun 18-Jul-04 12:00

Hours of operation: 16-Jul-04: 06:30 - 23:30, 18-Jul-04: 07:00 - 23:30

Note: If you are under 25 or over 65 you may not be able to hire this car. Age and driver restrictions

Attractions & services summary

Description Date Quantity
Galeries Lafayette 10% Discount Card Details Fri 16-Jul-04 -- Sun 18-Jul-04 5 Travellers

niamh
06/07/2004, 2:04 PM
I'm hardly a sunshine supporter James. :p

According to intertoto-cup.com we would be playing in Nantes on the weekend of 16th/17th. Has been a bit of confusion.

Macy
06/07/2004, 2:27 PM
Brittany Ferries lousey times & they booked out.

Rosslare to Roscoff 16th Out
Cherbourg to Rosslare 19th Back

3-4 hours drive ach way.

Unfortunately Irish Ferries (http://www.irishferries.com/) quoted €1500 for 5 people this morning which does not seem right.
That is about right, looked into those ferries last year for a holiday.....

Philo
06/07/2004, 4:47 PM
Flying to Tours-Loire Valley from Stanstead on Ryanair might be an option. £50ST each way ish but you wouldn't waste hours stuck in a Focus with the likes of Peadar. :D

Pablo
06/07/2004, 4:49 PM
cork-stanstead- la rochelle(56km south of nantes)

Ryanair

pete
06/07/2004, 4:51 PM
Flying to Tours-Loire Valley from Stanstead on Ryanair might be an option. £50ST each way ish but you wouldn't waste hours stuck in a Focus with the likes of Peadar. :D

Its expensive to get to Stansted from Ireland when booking in the last week.

pete
06/07/2004, 5:03 PM
Nantes Official Site (http://www.fcna.fr/flashes/flash.php?flash=1-050704)

In the framework of the first sleeve of the second turn of the Cutting Intertoto, the Irishmen of Cork City held in check Nec Nijmegen to the Stadium Of Goffert, in Holland (0-0). The future opponent of the FC Provide Atlantic will have therefore to force the decision to the game return. The sending blow of the encounter will be given Sunday July 11 to the "Turner's Cross Stadium" of Cork (15h30).

The protected from Loïc Amisse will do them entry to the third turn of the competition, Sunday July 18 to the Beaujoire (18h).

:)

Pablo
06/07/2004, 5:07 PM
Nantes Official Site (http://www.fcna.fr/flashes/flash.php?flash=1-050704)

In the framework of the first sleeve of the second turn of the Cutting Intertoto, the Irishmen of Cork City held in check Nec Nijmegen to the Stadium Of Goffert, in Holland (0-0). The future opponent of the FC Provide Atlantic will have therefore to force the decision to the game return. The sending blow of the encounter will be given Sunday July 11 to the "Turner's Cross Stadium" of Cork (15h30).

The protected from Loïc Amisse will do them entry to the third turn of the competition, Sunday July 18 to the Beaujoire (18h).

:)

:confused: sunday week is the third round away so for us or NEC?

pete
06/07/2004, 5:18 PM
:confused: sunday week is the third round away so for us or NEC?

Defintely unless some one changes it. Presumably the new teams to the competition are always at home in first leg so they can plan their itinery otherwise they'd only have a few days to organise trip to holland or ireland.

Pablo
06/07/2004, 5:22 PM
Defintely unless some one changes it. Presumably the new teams to the competition are always at home in first leg so they can plan their itinery otherwise they'd only have a few days to organise trip to holland or ireland.
makes sense alright if you look at it that way

Pablo
06/07/2004, 5:24 PM
La Rochelle is beautiful, well worth seeing.

Of course I'm not trying to help. I'm just trying to show off what a Francophile I am...well, aren't we all... :D ;)

your some kingd of phile alright Connor but a franco one? ;)

Pablo
06/07/2004, 5:25 PM
seriously though...............trying all sorts of routes just in case and its gonna be a pricey trip...........

thecorner
07/07/2004, 1:17 AM
can james,joe or dahamsta or even anybody throw this topic in the rubbish bin

lads, we all talked about it but this is seriously getting carried away

the 12 th man
07/07/2004, 6:52 AM
why not do a landbridge to france with your motor ?
boat to england and drive south to the ports.there is a ferry every few mins going from one of the ports to france.there is about 10 diff locations you could go from.

tiktok
07/07/2004, 7:43 AM
can james,joe or dahamsta or even anybody throw this topic in the rubbish bin
lads, we all talked about it but this is seriously getting carried away

ffs thecorner, no-one's booking anything, grow up. :rolleyes:

this will have no effect whatsoever on the outcome of the game, this jinx and superstition stuff is childish. At worst, if we do go out, a few of us will have egg on our face and might get a bit of a slagging from other posters on here, but it's a slagging I'm willing to take if it means that come next sunday night I'll have some options already laid out for travelling and we end up going through.

If the same chance hadn't been taken before the Malmo away leg, soem of us wouldn't have known where to start.

Again, if we go through and they play on the saturday, you have five days maximum to organise yourself.

Peadar
07/07/2004, 8:37 AM
this will have no effect whatsoever on the outcome of the game, this jinx and superstition stuff is childish.

Exactly and do you know something else?
Some people may actually learn a little more European geography.
How many people knew where La Rochelle is?
I'll even wager that some people didn't know where Nantes is.

There is absolutely no harm in being prepared.
If people are superstitious they should keep their irrational perceptions to themselves. The result of the game is linked to performance, not 13 black cats, broken mirrors or ladders.

Hecko
07/07/2004, 9:13 AM
Lads, you could try looking at flying to Frankfurt (the real one not the Ryanair one that is further away). It is as near if not nearer than Paris and shouldn't take more than four hours. I used to live in Strasbourg and from what I remember it's about an hour and a half from Nantes. Stras-Frankfurt is about 2 1/2.

Edgey
07/07/2004, 9:57 AM
Lads, you could try looking at flying to Frankfurt (the real one not the Ryanair one that is further away). It is as near if not nearer than Paris and shouldn't take more than four hours. I used to live in Strasbourg and from what I remember it's about an hour and a half from Nantes. Stras-Frankfurt is about 2 1/2.

You're not mixing Nantes up with Nancy (where Cascarino used play) are you? Pronounciation is similar. Because Paris is half way between Nantes and Strasbourg and then Frankfurt is about the same distance again. Ye'd be in no humour for football after that trek!

Hecko
07/07/2004, 10:21 AM
Sorry lads - your'e right. You'd be as well flying to Portugal as Frankfurt... Apologies

GavinZac
07/07/2004, 10:40 AM
limouges from stansted is pretty close too. un fact france's mtotor ways are class, flying into anywhere would be fine if you thought driving was a problem

thecorner
07/07/2004, 11:16 AM
ffs thecorner, no-one's booking anything, grow up. :rolleyes:

eh. i think that im entitled to an opinion without getting crap like that back

just remember tiktok the draw was nantes vs city OR nec

Peadar
07/07/2004, 11:21 AM

I think you're the one who needs to remember that.
Tiktok already knows it and has based his travel research on the fact that it is a possibility that we will be travelling to France for the game.

thecorner
07/07/2004, 11:32 AM
Tiktok already knows it and has based his travel research on the fact that it is a possibility that we will be travelling to France for the game.

and also might not be travelling to france for the game :rolleyes:

GavinZac
07/07/2004, 11:38 AM
if you dont want to read it then dont click. :rolleyes:

thecorner
07/07/2004, 11:42 AM
if you dont want to read it then dont click. :rolleyes:

nah. illl just keep seeing how cocky you all are ;)

pete
07/07/2004, 11:48 AM

I though researching Holland before malmo was gonna be a jinx but its proven that wasn't the case. ;)

No harm looking at options before NEC visit & I haven't seen anyone mention the WHEN word as its all been IFs...

Its bloody hard planning a trip to an way game with only a week before you travel so no harm eliminating some options the week before.

Peadar
07/07/2004, 11:51 AM

Imagine if City lose on Sunday, we'll all go 'OMG I looked at travel details for nantes. How could I have been so stupid! What must people think of me!?!'

A win for City and we're all thinking, 'right, straight onto this website and that to book that best deal on the most practical route which I'd researched earlier.'

Cocky doesn't come into it.

thecorner
07/07/2004, 11:58 AM
A win for City and we're all thinking, 'right, straight onto this website and that to book that best deal on the most practical route .'

a winf or city and its straight to the pub for an almighty session and worry bout travelling arrangemnts monday morning

dont get me wrong im also looking at best ways to travel,just think things are getting carried away here

my opinion,thats all

paudie
07/07/2004, 12:15 PM
If we do get through there is a fair chance that the club will try to switch the legs to get the home leg first.

Just in case we lose the first leg heavily and get a smaller crowd.

Also I've just read on another thread that the Leeds v Longford FAI cup game has been fixed for Friday 23rd, the day before the Roy Keane Ramblers game.

If City were at home that weekend it would mean three games at the Cross in less than 3 days. Hope it stays dry!

Eric
07/07/2004, 1:48 PM
I've looked into one or two different travell arrangements for that weekend too and here's what I've found.....

It'll be short notice but I'm sure that the CCISA could manage to organise a bus, or else people could just drive.............

to Longford for the league game!!!! :D

Peadar
07/07/2004, 1:56 PM
to Longford for the league game!!!! :D

Will they honour that fixture given that they'll only just be back from Liechtenstien?

tiktok
07/07/2004, 2:34 PM
eh. i think that im entitled to an opinion without getting crap like that back

all i said was 'grow up', and if you think our research is going to somehow jinx us (or if you care that if we lose we'll have egg on our faces), then I repeat, 'Grow up'

I know well we could lose, we all do, as i said in my reply to you, no-one's booking anything, we're just looking. but asking that a perfectly valid thread be thrown to Rubbish just because you don't like the opinions on it (that we're entitled to btw) is childish.

Anyway, to get back on topic....
I had a look at aerlingus.com in Paric CDG and at the mo' it's €230 return, out on the friday or saturday morning, back on the sunday evening from Dublin, about as cheap as you can get there.

www.irishferries.ie also do Rosslare to Roscoff (about two hours North of Nantes) which leaves on friday 15th at 5.00pm and arrives there at 12.00 the next day, can always come back by cherbourg.

It looks now though that (if we go through, and I know it's IF) it'll either be an expensive one, or a roundabout one :(

Peadar
07/07/2004, 2:54 PM
back on the sunday evening from Dublin :(

Did it not say somewhere that the Nantes home game is on at 18:00 on the Sunday?
You'll be hard pushed to make it back to Dublin on the Sunday evening.