PDA

View Full Version : Leeds FC

Longfordian
05/07/2004, 6:07 PM
Are they the City or County of Cork, where's their ground, any of ye know?

Gary
05/07/2004, 6:11 PM
They are from Cork City, up the Northside.

They will prob play this game in Turners Cross to maximise revenue

Snatch
05/07/2004, 6:14 PM
They are from around the Glen on the Northside. It's a stupid name isn't it, calling themselves after an English club.

George O' Callaghan played with them for a while.

Longfordian
05/07/2004, 6:28 PM
Cheers lads. Always enjoy heading to Cork, whoever we play.

razor
05/07/2004, 8:09 PM
Their pitch is in Ballyvolane, Big slope from one goal to the next.
They might bring ye up there, tough team to beat at home and they had the best defence in the MSL Premier last season despite a mid table finish.

A face
05/07/2004, 9:17 PM
It's a stupid name isn't it, calling themselves after an English club.

It is kinda embrassing really .... like it was a pub team or something when they started up. In fairness though ... they are doing fairly well and this year they've shown it.

Could they change the name ?? Something that they could identify with.

cobhrambler 16
05/07/2004, 9:30 PM
George O' Callaghan played with them for a while.

also John O'Flynn

thecorner
06/07/2004, 1:15 AM
also John O'Flynn

and greg o halloran

GavinZac
06/07/2004, 7:16 AM
and kevin murray, and michael buckley..

its across from my house, in ballyvolane. if its played there i'll be there, attempting to wear something blue.

irish teams named after british teams isnt exactly rare, home farm everton, everton, any of the celtics... not saying its right but its not rare.

leesider
06/07/2004, 8:15 AM
knew the fella who set them up, he was a big leeds fan, fair play to him for setting it up but the name is a bit **** alright

Yoda01
06/07/2004, 8:18 AM
were based bang in the middle of ballyvolane, we were started in 1986 as a junior team in the aul, the guy who started us was a leeds fan so hence the name, even though some dont like the name we couldn't change it now as we have firmly established ourselves in local/intermediate football. we are now one of the largest schoolboy clubs in the country with 18 schoolboy teams, 1 youth team, 2 junior teams and 1 senior team, i ont think the game will be played in leeds park (even though we want it there) and as for who ever said the pitch is a slope from one goal to another obviously hasn't been there, we have great facilities for a intermediate club, we have a clubhouse/dressing rooms, 2 pitches and an all weather pitch, even pat dolan complimented us when we played city in a challange game about 2 months ago, (city won 2 -1, it was fringe players to be honest), we have had a few cork city players play schoolboy with us, georgie, john o'flynn, greg o'hallorhan, kevin murray, micky buckley, so we must be doing something right, anyway were delighted to be involved in the fai cup and are looking forward to the visit of longford town, whatever the outcome.

the 12 th man
06/07/2004, 8:19 AM
named after british teams isnt exactly rare, home farm everton, .

i think they tie in with bigger clubs for dosh.

my eldest son played for them for 5 years.when he joined they were just called home farm,then home farm/everton,and when he left they were called home farm/leeds :eek: .

NorthoftheLee
06/07/2004, 8:31 AM
were based bang in the middle of ballyvolane, we were started in 1986 as a junior team in the aul, the guy who started us was a leeds fan so hence the name, even though some dont like the name we couldn't change it now as we have firmly established ourselves in local/intermediate football. we are now one of the largest schoolboy clubs in the country with 18 schoolboy teams, 1 youth team, 2 junior teams and 1 senior team, i ont think the game will be played in leeds park (even though we want it there) and as for who ever said the pitch is a slope from one goal to another obviously hasn't been there, we have great facilities for a intermediate club, we have a clubhouse/dressing rooms, 2 pitches and an all weather pitch, even pat dolan complimented us when we played city in a challange game about 2 months ago, (city won 2 -1, it was fringe players to be honest), we have had a few cork city players play schoolboy with us, georgie, john o'flynn, greg o'hallorhan, kevin murray, micky buckley, so we must be doing something right, anyway were delighted to be involved in the fai cup and are looking forward to the visit of longford town, whatever the outcome.

spot on Yoda.....was a leeds player back in the days around when it just started when they had to rent pitches every season...farmers pitches fuill of cow shiit too...we used to get picked up by Donie and Mrs B for the games...the progress the club has made over the last 15 years has been brilliant.....Had a nice view of the pitch until that new crappy housing/apartment estate was built.....Hopefully they'll play there,....better chance of progressing playing in Leeds park......

thecorner
06/07/2004, 9:00 AM
nearly forgot about another ex-leeds man

ken coleman

max power
06/07/2004, 9:12 AM
my cousins played for them years ago, great memories of those teenage summers down there

harpskid
06/07/2004, 9:38 AM
We played 'em last year in the cup and needed an 89th minute winner to beat them.

Look out for their goalkeeper - Matthew Stokes, top keeper and a sound bloke

razor
06/07/2004, 10:08 AM
and as for who ever said the pitch is a slope from one goal to another obviously hasn't been there,

I have been there many times and there is definitely a slope in the pitch.

NorthoftheLee
06/07/2004, 10:16 AM
I have been there many times and there is definitely a slope in the pitch.

if there is a slop you're talking milimeteres....fcuk all slope there dude.!!!

you may be thinkint he old hegarty's picth on dublin hill....now that was a slope...

drummerboy
06/07/2004, 11:01 AM
I was down at Leeds Park to watch Drumcondra play Leeds in the Intermediate Cup this year. They have a nice set up and would meet the criteria of the FAI. They are a great bunch of football people and have training facilities that a lot of EL clubs don't have. They also have a couple of ex-cobh players. We drew with they down there and they beat us at home. A good session was had by all afterwards. We also beat Everton. What is it with the Rebel county's clubs being called after English teams,

Yoda01
06/07/2004, 12:02 PM
spot on Yoda.....was a leeds player back in the days around when it just started when they had to rent pitches every season...farmers pitches fuill of cow shiit too...we used to get picked up by Donie and Mrs B for the games...the progress the club has made over the last 15 years has been brilliant.....Had a nice view of the pitch until that new crappy housing/apartment estate was built.....Hopefully they'll play there,....better chance of progressing playing in Leeds park......

happy days 12 of us in the back of mrs b's golf going to a match, weve come along way since, the harps match was probably our best day ever, we gave them a good game and were unlucky to lose, that keeper malcolm stokes has since retired but weve replaced him with a great young keeper who's making a good name for himself and attracting a few ericom league clubs to look at him, as for drummerboy, who did ye get in the cup, and thanks for the great day out in the morton stadium.

drummerboy
06/07/2004, 12:51 PM
happy days 12 of us in the back of mrs b's golf going to a match, weve come along way since, the harps match was probably our best day ever, we gave them a good game and were unlucky to lose, that keeper malcolm stokes has since retired but weve replaced him with a great young keeper who's making a good name for himself and attracting a few ericom league clubs to look at him, as for drummerboy, who did ye get in the cup, and thanks for the great day out in the morton stadium.

Thanks yoda, we got a bit of a bumber, Quay Celtic from Dundalk away, no disrespect to them, but they are in the same league as ourselves and we were hoping to get a crack at one of the big boys. Great win for Leeds over Belgrove, mightly impressed with that. They are the richest club in all of Ireland, sold their ground for €9million and got the cream of intermediate players.

michaelguineys
06/07/2004, 2:43 PM
We played 'em last year in the cup and needed an 89th minute winner to beat them.

Look out for their goalkeeper - Matthew Stokes, top keeper and a sound bloke

No he's not their keeper anymore, he retired.
Have a great keeper now, his name is james sumthin, not sure of the surname.

Leeds did very well in the Intermediate Cup, reaching the quarter finals and were unlucky to be beaten by Wayside Celtic.

Leeds then went on to beat a very good Belgrove side up in Tolka in the first round of the FAI Cup.
As far as i know, they are thinking of moving the Longford game to the Cross but i think they wud be better off playin it in Leeds PArk as it would be much more intimidating for Longford up there.

There's a few ex LOI players on the team and i wouldnt be too surprised if they managed to cause an upset.
The only thing is, the MSL doesnt start til August so they havent been in training.
Best of luck to 'em tho!

razor
06/07/2004, 2:46 PM
if there is a slop you're talking milimeteres....fcuk all slope there dude.!!!

You're havin' a laugh aren't ya ?
Its more like 5 or 6 feet drop from the top goal to the bottom goal.

Yoda01
06/07/2004, 2:54 PM
You're havin' a laugh aren't ya ?
Its more like 5 or 6 feet drop from the top goal to the bottom goal.

razor, you have definetly never been to leeds park, theres no slope there.
our new keepers name is james mccarthy he's quality, as for preseason training it starts tonight, looking forward to those doggies already

parnell ranger
06/07/2004, 3:07 PM
great to see Drums back in the cup.

max power
06/07/2004, 3:08 PM
i'd love to see tullamore knock scumlone out :D

parnell ranger
06/07/2004, 3:52 PM
i'd love to see tullamore knock scumlone out :D

u should be thankful if ye score a goal- its been quite a while huh? :p

max power
06/07/2004, 3:54 PM
yrah hoping for yee in the cup, then we would get at least 4............again ;)

razor
06/07/2004, 8:02 PM
razor, you have definetly never been to leeds park, theres no slope there.

Oh I get it. ;)
Its your secret weapon that ye don't want Longford to know about.
Well your secrets safe with me.
:rolleyes:

A face
06/07/2004, 8:59 PM
home farm everton

They were sponsored/linked with Everton in England so that where theirs comes from.

any of the celtics.

Nor so fast Celtic is a very general term and not football related .... football clubs may cal themselves Celtic but thats not where it comes from.

They guy that founded the club .... could he not related ot anything in his area or the people of the area. He had to go to England for the name.

eoinh
06/07/2004, 10:42 PM
the title of the thread is Leeds FC. Arent they in fact called Leeds AFC? :confused:

cobhrambler 16
06/07/2004, 11:29 PM
a load of the yelverons!!!

Yoda01
07/07/2004, 8:01 AM
actually i think it's spelled yelverton.
there was a motion a couple of years ago to change the club name to st. olivers after the church but it didn't get passed. i suppose when the club was started they guy couldn't imagine how much it would snowball, and he did start it for a laugh as a pub team !
and razor do you have one leg shorter than the other or a crick in ur neck cause there definetly aint no slope there kid !

razor
07/07/2004, 8:10 AM
suppose when the club was started they guy couldn't imagine how much it would snowball,
That could be quite dangerous especially with it rolling down the slope. :p

and razor do you have one leg shorter than the other or a crick in ur neck cause there definetly aint no slope there kid !

No imperfections at all bud, don't even wear glasses and the few Sunday mornings spent up there weren't even after drink.
Your secrets safe with me. ;)

drummerboy
07/07/2004, 8:44 AM
Having been in Leeds Park in February there certainly isn't a slope worth talking about.

Thay guy Yevloven or whatever he's called scored an amazing goal up in Morton Stadium. In injury time the Drums keeper went up into Leeds box for a corner. The corner was taken and the ball droped on the edge of the Leeds box. The left full of Leeds caught it on the volley and it travelled the whole length of the pitch and bounced once into the Drums net. Never seen a goal like it in my life. Sickner for Drums.

michaelguineys
07/07/2004, 11:33 AM
Ya that was Jason Yelverton. It was some goal alrite.
His brother Colin plays aswell

Yoda01
07/07/2004, 11:56 AM
the leeds v's longford town match has been fixed for friday 23rd july at 7.45 in turners cross, that means we have even more space to chase after longford and the ball.

paudie
07/07/2004, 12:09 PM
That'll be the day before City's home game v Nantes so :D

max power
07/07/2004, 12:10 PM
famous last words..........

paudie
07/07/2004, 12:11 PM
I've just realised it won't. Isn't the Roy Keane Cobh Ramblers game on that Saturday?

cobhrambler 16
07/07/2004, 8:40 PM
I've just realised it won't. Isn't the Roy Keane Cobh Ramblers game on that Saturday?

it is... hopefully.

leesider
08/07/2004, 7:49 AM
nearly forgot about another ex-leeds man

ken coleman

used he knock in free kicks from just about anywhere within range of the goal!! Class act!!

last time I played there the pitch had a savage slope.......jesus lads ye are making me feel old

Yoda01
08/07/2004, 8:14 AM
are we really talking about the same oitch in ballyvolane, leeds park for the life of me i cant see a slope on it,
ken coleman used to knock free kicks in from about anywhere in reach of the goal, he's home now i heard he's talking to waterford ?