PDA

View Full Version : Converting programmes/documentaries and DVD's to files to place on MP4

Mad Moose
18/08/2011, 11:59 AM
Does anybody have any advice on how I might convert DVDs to files on I can place on MP4. I am planning a trip away for a month and so I wanted to bring some movies and documentaries etc with me. I imagine stuff like programems on places like 4oD and IPlayer cannot be saved and stored but if anybody knows of ways I can store and transfer programmes then that would be great.

Thanks.

strangeirish
18/08/2011, 12:15 PM
Try this. Free and easy to use. I have the whole program downloaded, but the link is for your specific needs.

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-DVD-Video-Converter.htm

A N Mouse
18/08/2011, 1:01 PM
When you say mp4 are you referring to a portable media player? As opposed to the actual mp4 format.

If so what formats is your device capable of playing?

There are ways and means of downloading videos from iplayer and youtube, amongst others, but this may be in some flash or quicktime format that may require further conversion to work on your gizmo.

On conversion itself, depending on the machine you're doing that on the most efficient format -to convert to (time wise) - is generally an avi type. But again this will depend on what your player is capable of.

tetsujin1979
18/08/2011, 2:01 PM
handbrake is my converter of choice, loads of options for converting straight to iPod

theworm2345
18/08/2011, 4:45 PM
Super, FLV to AVI MPEG WMV 3GP MP4 iPod Converter, and Pavtube are all good. Honestly though YouTube and DailyMotion have very strong converters, so it could work to just upload the .VOB files from the DVD to there, let them convert it, then download the resulting MP4. Unless these are rare DVDs I would just recommend finding the movie online and downloading it, DVD conversion can be a pain in the ass depending on the protection and audio can easily get out of sync.

Don't know about 4oD but I know how to download everything from iPlayer if you want a lesson just let me know.

dahamsta
18/08/2011, 5:48 PM
Handbrake is grand, but the GUI is wonk. I tend to use AVIdemux, but that's almost as bad. I'm just used to the settings I need for the PS3.

Spudulika
18/08/2011, 5:54 PM
When I saw converting I thought we'd a user who was going to shave his head and beat a drum or grow a big beard and, well, beat a christian. Kinda disappointed now.

Mad Moose
18/08/2011, 7:02 PM
When you say mp4 are you referring to a portable media player? As opposed to the actual mp4 format.

If so what formats is your device capable of playing?

There are ways and means of downloading videos from iplayer and youtube, amongst others, but this may be in some flash or quicktime format that may require further conversion to work on your gizmo.

On conversion itself, depending on the machine you're doing that on the most efficient format -to convert to (time wise) - is generally an avi type. But again this will depend on what your player is capable of.

Thanks for all the advice. Its essentially my music player and plays video so it plays MP4 format if that makes sense.

I know this stuff is possible. Thanks for the advice on the DVD convertor. That will be very useful and I'll give it a go as I should have enough if I get to convert some DVD's for travel.s

Mad Moose
30/08/2011, 12:16 PM
Super, FLV to AVI MPEG WMV 3GP MP4 iPod Converter, and Pavtube are all good. Honestly though YouTube and DailyMotion have very strong converters, so it could work to just upload the .VOB files from the DVD to there, let them convert it, then download the resulting MP4. Unless these are rare DVDs I would just recommend finding the movie online and downloading it, DVD conversion can be a pain in the ass depending on the protection and audio can easily get out of sync.

Don't know about 4oD but I know how to download everything from iPlayer if you want a lesson just let me know.

I've tried unsuccessfully over the last few days to mess about with this but to no avail so yeah the lesson might be quite useful. I get impatient and give up. I guess 4oD programmes (I tend to like some Channel 4 documentaries and never get the time to watch them) would be the same to download as iPlayer so would follow the same format.

Just trying to maximise the use of my MP4 player as I rarely do. The DVD conversion stuff works as I save it on my PC and drag and drop to the player so thats been really handy though I need a lot more memory.

Thanks re the lesson. It would be really good.

theworm2345
30/08/2011, 4:41 PM
I've tried unsuccessfully over the last few days to mess about with this but to no avail so yeah the lesson might be quite useful. I get impatient and give up. I guess 4oD programmes (I tend to like some Channel 4 documentaries and never get the time to watch them) would be the same to download as iPlayer so would follow the same format.

Just trying to maximise the use of my MP4 player as I rarely do. The DVD conversion stuff works as I save it on my PC and drag and drop to the player so thats been really handy though I need a lot more memory.

Thanks re the lesson. It would be really good.
Then its up to you, I can teach you the simple way that takes longer and requires downloading and cracking a program (which is simple in this case and not too risky in terms of malware...I guess you could just buy it too if you want) or I can teach you a complicated way that allows quick downloads but requires knowledge of how to use the Command Prompt (also requires downloading a program but an open source one). This is all assuming you have a PC as well.