PDA

View Full Version : Irish football fans

Red Star
16/08/2011, 1:01 PM
You'd often read from journalists that Irish football fans are the best in the world. But where do they get this idea from? It's not like you see huge choreograph displays in the stands or full stadiums singing or jump around like in other countries. Then you get LOI fans claiming to be better then the fans of the national team but it's more or less the same as kind of atmosphere as international games. I'm not really including barstoolers in this just fans who regularly attend games.

I think Irish people are very placid when it comes to activity supporting your team maybe its our culture. I never really passed much heed of the difference until I started working in Germany. I just don't see where the best fans in the world label comes from?

Real ale Madrid
16/08/2011, 1:08 PM
Best as in - well behaved, I'd imagine when foreign journalists are talking about Irish football fans.

Red Star
16/08/2011, 1:30 PM
Best as in - well behaved, I'd imagine when foreign journalists are talking about Irish football fans.

That's a myth too. Most * international teams could claim the same.

Dodge
16/08/2011, 1:53 PM
You'd often read from journalists that Irish football fans are the best in the world.

How often do you read that? haven't read it myself since about 1988

born2bwild
16/08/2011, 2:21 PM
Ah now, you used to hear that tripe well into the nineties. Reached its zenith around 30th June 1990.

BonnieShels
16/08/2011, 2:26 PM
There was definite usage of the phrase for Anfield 95 when the 2 best sets of fans were in the one stadium.

outspoken
16/08/2011, 2:32 PM
Best in the world that they travel to all corners of the globe but ye were quiet enough, I dont like to bring this up but our style of football is hardly edge of the seat stuff whether thats a genuine reason or not I'm not so sure the way I see it is that every country is different. English fans - Songs and Chants , Polish - Massive ultra displays, South America - Drums, dancing etc its just a different style

Acornvilla
16/08/2011, 2:43 PM
We just don't get drunk enough, (most) Irish people are crap until there drunk

SkStu
16/08/2011, 2:52 PM
i think Outspoken has come closest to what is meant by that tag. We show up everywhere in large numbers, especially the major tournaments. We also behave quite well and locals are said to take a liking to us... plus its the Irish media labelling us so i wouldnt worry about it too much...

Dodge
16/08/2011, 2:57 PM
He's not worried stu, he's taking the **** out of the majority of people who go to Ireland games.

jeesh...

Red Star
16/08/2011, 3:10 PM
He's not worried stu, he's taking the **** out of the majority of people who go to Ireland games.

jeesh...

Who me? I'm not taking the **** out of anyone and it's not just people who go to Ireland games I'm on about LOI fans tend to have high opinions of themselves but there is nothing special about them compared to football fans in other countries. I was at three 5th and 6th division games in Germany recently it was amazing to see from a supporters point of view

osarusan
16/08/2011, 3:14 PM
Who me? I'm not taking the **** out of anyone and it's not just people who go to Ireland games I'm on about LOI fans tend to have high opinions of themselves but there is nothing special about them compared to football fans in other countries. I was at three 5th and 6th division games in Germany recently it was amazing to see from a supporters point of view
What are you talking about? The Irish fans that journalists praise as the best fans in the world are international team fans, not LOI fans (many of whom are the same, but many of whom are not).

Some LOI fans might regard themselves as better fans of Irish football than people who don't go to LOI games while bleating about the need for a better domestic league, but that's a completely different thing than LOI fans considering themselves (or being considered, by anybody) the best in the world.

SkStu
16/08/2011, 3:16 PM

jeesh...

true that Dodge...

I should have known he was taking the **** when he said that LOI fans claim to be better than fans of the national team. We dont claim to be better fans, just a somewhat superior type of person.

Sam_Heggy
16/08/2011, 3:38 PM
true that Dodge...

I should have known he was taking the **** when he said that LOI fans claim to be better than fans of the national team. We dont claim to be better fans, just a somewhat superior type of person.

Funny, my wife told me today that I have a superiority complex.

What does she know, she's just a woman..

nigel-harps1954
16/08/2011, 4:42 PM
I don't think I've ever read anywhere a journalist praising LOI fans as the best in the world. We haven't had a decent atmosphere in Finn Park in about 4 years apart from the odd away support.

ArdeeBhoy
16/08/2011, 5:05 PM

We've won a UEFA (& FIFA?) award more recently than that. I've even seen (& touched) it!

Our fans, as are most, are alright...

Dodge
16/08/2011, 5:08 PM
We haven't had a decent atmosphere in Finn Park in about 4 years apart from the odd away support.

And this being the LOI, there's nothing but odd away support

Spudulika
17/08/2011, 4:22 AM
Irish sports fans (bar tennis) would generally be pretty good value for money. Foreign cities love getting them in as they drink, eat, sing and as a rule are trouble free. In the stadium they cheer, follow the match and don't go in for this bullcrap you see on the continent. It never ceases to amaze me how hordes of sheep are led in their "singing" and one half of them watch what the others are doing while the ones being watched are off their faces or oblivious to what's happening on the pitch. Yet this is what passes for colour and atmosphere. They don't follow the game, there is no ebb and flow of noise, nothing like we would experience with Irish crowds (and to a similiar extent British). In Germany the fans are a mix, they like to be led but not to the extent where the fakers in Italy, Spain, Russia etc go. I would defy anyone who goes to a German league/cup match not to enjoy it, it is way above the sky leagues and the standard of football on display better, and more even.

Straightstory
17/08/2011, 9:52 AM
That old (very old) cliche always refers to the fans of the national team. We all know they're largely composed of 'Fields of Athenry'-singing event junkies and Premiership barstoolers who have never been to a club game in Ireland. It would be hard to imagine a worse set of supporters.

Billy Lord
17/08/2011, 10:28 PM
That old (very old) cliche always refers to the fans of the national team. We all know they're largely composed of 'Fields of Athenry'-singing event junkies and Premiership barstoolers who have never been to a club game in Ireland. It would be hard to imagine a worse set of supporters.

In fairness, most LoI fans who 'folly' Ireland home and away are as bad as the rest of the leprechaun muppets. International football is a cathedral for the clueless.

born2bwild
17/08/2011, 10:42 PM
Irish sports fans (bar tennis) would generally be pretty good value for money. Foreign cities love getting them in as they drink, eat, sing and as a rule are trouble free. In the stadium they cheer, follow the match and don't go in for this bullcrap you see on the continent. It never ceases to amaze me how hordes of sheep are led in their "singing" and one half of them watch what the others are doing while the ones being watched are off their faces or oblivious to what's happening on the pitch. Yet this is what passes for colour and atmosphere. They don't follow the game, there is no ebb and flow of noise, nothing like we would experience with Irish crowds (and to a similiar extent British). In Germany the fans are a mix, they like to be led but not to the extent where the fakers in Italy, Spain, Russia etc go. I would defy anyone who goes to a German league/cup match not to enjoy it, it is way above the sky leagues and the standard of football on display better, and more even.

Russian fans are fakers? They're fyckin lunatics but fakers?

Well, maybe, Spud, but I would love if Ireland got to Ukraine next summer - it'd be just the best. With the price of booze as it is, half of the support wouldn't go back home to Ireland.

outspoken
17/08/2011, 11:22 PM
Jesus the polish are some fans the fans that of course brought us the poznan but ye I often wonder are they even concentrating on the game haha.

Spudulika
18/08/2011, 8:26 AM
Russian fans are fakers? They're fyckin lunatics but fakers?

Well, maybe, Spud, but I would love if Ireland got to Ukraine next summer - it'd be just the best. With the price of booze as it is, half of the support wouldn't go back home to Ireland.

Lunatics, yes, but fakers also. I detest the so called "ultras" with european clubs, in Russia you go to a match and they're busy orchestrating singing while the action takes place unknown to them. In Croatia it's not quite as bad, in fact, I can say that the 2 main groups I've had experience with, make that, 3, Bad Blue Boys, Torcida and Funcuti, they follow the match and the energy, and noise, ebbs and flows. In Russia they just don't get sport.

I agree about going to Ukraine, I'm going to Uzbekistan in a couple of weeks, actually mid-September, and there the price of booze is the same, but actually quite good. However Ukranian food and beer - hmm, even the spirits. Now I can't remember the name of the spirit made with peppers - it's not really hot, but by god it's tasty!

SkStu
19/08/2011, 3:56 AM
Now I can't remember the name of the spirit made with peppers - it's not really hot, but by god it's tasty!

ah man, huge Ukranian population in Saskatchewan and they have a Ukranian bar here where they sell that stuff. Id steer clear if you've already had enough - nearly heaved me guts up after slamming it back... (cant remember the name either).

Jinxy
19/08/2011, 4:29 PM
Does nobody else feel that in a lot of these cases where you have ultras and big fan displays that the game itself is almost incidental?