PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Draw

Neil
18/11/2001, 3:45 PM
Final Draw:
1 December 2001 in Busan (South Korea). The venue for the draw will be the Busan Convention centre, BEXCO. The draw ceremony will begin at 19.00 (local time)

POSSIBLE SEEDINGS
First seeds: Japan, South Korea, France, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Germany, England.

Second seeds: Portugal, Spain, Nigeria, Ireland, United States, Denmark, Mexico, Croatia.

Third seeds: Belgium, Poland, Russia, Paraguay, Cameroon, Turkey, Sweden, Australia or Uruguay.

Fourth seeds: China, Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica, Senegal, Tunisia, Ecuador, Slovenia, South Africa.

unison (http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=641618)

Getting drawn with either Japan or Korea as first seeds would be a dream. Then I'd go for Cameroon and Costa Rica! This would be best possible I'd say.

Knowing our luck though it'll be Argentina, Turkey and Ecuador (worst possible?)

Gary
19/11/2001, 10:00 PM
As I've said before bring on Brazil or England, even Germany!

Sweden would be a balls to get as would Turkey or Poland as the 3rd team.

Seanie
20/11/2001, 11:51 AM
Remember if we get Korea or Japan we will be facing them in the Lions den, but still as favourites. I believe Germany would be an ideal draw. They are a team past their best who made a real hash of qualifying automatically. Or England. If we draw England, the media will inevitably declare that the World Cup is over and '66 forgotten - then the fall from grace when we beat them!

Pauro 76
20/11/2001, 5:02 PM
Seems a bit suspect to me, Japan/South Korea as hosts being first seeds, and USA second seed, how did they get that? and as for Portgual being second seeds and Germany being first....

But ideal draw, Japan or Korea, Cameroon and South Africa, Slovenia would be tricky enough..

James
20/11/2001, 5:09 PM
Neil dont normally disagre with you cause you're bigger then me and can easily have me beaten up but hey we're 3,000 miles away..so here goes

BY my calculations and I have the workings here the following will be the world cup seedings

Seeded 1
France
South Korea
Japan
Brazil
Italy
Argentina
Germany
Spain

Seeded 2
England
Croatia
Belgium
Ireland
Sweden
Denamrk
Russia
Portugal

Seeded 3
Paraguay
Ecuador
Turkey
Poland
Slovenia
China
Saudi Arabia
Australia or Uraguay

Seeded 4
Nigeria
Cameroon
South Africa
Mexico
Costa Rica
Senegal
Tunisia
United States

unison have got it wrong methinks from i heard from fifa and my calcuations on how they determine the seedings ( and it depends on what day you calculate them, the positioning of the moon and mood of the fifa official at the time :D )

firstly all the african, asian/ oceania, and south american teams will be kept apart in round 1 so unfortunately for nigeria they will be given a 4th seeding...
england wont get a first seeding IMO, that will go to Spain

any anoraks interested in the format for making out the seeds, i can post it later, if youse really want to know

James
20/11/2001, 5:11 PM
oh yea forgot to add that in the playoff for the last world cup place the Aussie's beat Uraguay 1-0 in melbourne...good goal too from some player playing in da premiership..cant remember his name

jbrazil
20/11/2001, 7:00 PM
Originally posted by James
oh yea forgot to add that in the playoff for the last world cup place the Aussie's beat Uraguay 1-0 in melbourne...good goal too from some player playing in da premiership..cant remember his name

twas kevin muscat of wolves

pete
21/11/2001, 12:19 PM
Appears you've been onto my fifa sources too James? ;)

System goes something like this:
- Take positions from last 3 world cups & current fifa rankings, most recent WC given stronger weighing.
- African & South American teams i think can't play each other so all africans go into 4th seeding pool.
- Both host nations given 1st seeding.

Think it means england get pushed out to 9th place by host nations & ireland also a 2nd seeding.

Draw could be very cruel (Nigeria as 4th seed) or a lot kinder (south korea, ireland, slovenia, costa rica).

James
21/11/2001, 3:31 PM
yea...got some abuse from JC over that when i posted it a week ago on JW's...i mean abuse about being an anorak from canny of all people.. :p

but then again..i suppose i did spend a whole morning at work calcualting the number of ranking points for each individual country...

Schumi
21/11/2001, 5:15 PM
I wouldn't fancy Slovenia, they looked good in Euro 2000 as I remember. The Saudis would be preferable I think.

pete
21/11/2001, 6:12 PM
..i suppose i did spend a whole morning at work calcualting the number of ranking points for each individual country...

If you weren't an anorak before I think thats got to get you into the club. As head anorak I believe JC would final say so on that though. I'm not sure if its better to use pen 'n paper or a spreadsheet ;)

Group o Death/Fun: ;)
Argentina, England, Turkey, Nigeria.

One to cross your fingers for:
Korea, Ireland, China, Costa Rica.