PDA

View Full Version : Possible Costan Rican eligible for us?

paul_oshea
11/08/2011, 12:05 PM
Costa Rican striker Joel Campbell, who is on the verge of joining Arsenal, has Roscommon roots.
It has been widely reported in various media outlets, that Campbell’s grandfather was an ex-missionary priest, Fr. Noel Campbell from Roscommon. As a result the highly rated teenager could have played for the Republic of Ireland.
Campbell has also courted interest from Manchester United, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Fiorentina. It was reported in mid-July that he had signed for Arsenal for just under £1 million but the deal broke down. However, Campbell has claimed in the past week that the deal is back on again, which could see him become one of the few new players heading to the Emirates during the summer transfer window.
Campbell, who currently plies his trade with Costa Rican outfit Saprissa, made his debut on the Costa Rican national team on June 5th where he scored in a 5-0 demolition of Cuba. He scored his second international goal against Bolivia on July 7th in the Copa America and started all three games for Costa Rica in the competition.

Too late though seen as he played in the Copa America :(

Some people on here obviously weren't doing their jobs (Tets looking at you mainly :D)...

BonnieShels
11/08/2011, 12:07 PM
Would the Copa count as competitive as CR were just invitees (to replace Japan who had pulled out)?

paul_oshea
11/08/2011, 12:12 PM
I don't know quickly get onto the FAI. ;) :D

I always said they were good enough, just not any proper coaching/scouting structure back in Roscommon :)

Closed Account 2
11/08/2011, 12:26 PM
Pretty sure he's played in the Gold Cup too.

paul_oshea
11/08/2011, 12:55 PM
As a horse or a jockey?

Edmundo with a name like that and an eye for the exotic you should have spotted it earlier and sorted it out. Shame on you and Tets.

tetsujin1979
11/08/2011, 1:08 PM
As a horse or a jockey?

Edmundo with a name like that and an eye for the exotic you should have spotted it earlier and sorted it out. Shame on you and Tets.
knew about him a little while ago (see here for proof - http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31658&PID=692831&title=thomas-delaney#692831 ) and didn't think he qualified having already played competitive international games for Costa Rica, so I didn't post about him

paul_oshea
11/08/2011, 1:16 PM
A little while being a few days ago ;)

His grandfather must have been caught with his pants down so to speak :)

A pity i didn't read the paper earlier....

Eminence Grise
11/08/2011, 1:29 PM
Campbell’s grandfather was an ex-missionary priest, Fr. Noel Campbell from Roscommon.

Must have definitely liked missionary if he left the priesthood.

A Costa Rossie, who woulda thunk it?

paul_oshea
11/08/2011, 2:21 PM
Ive heard of costa coffee but not costa rossie. Is that a new blend?

tetsujin1979
11/08/2011, 3:19 PM
I suppose it's my fault you've never heard of that too?

theworm2345
11/08/2011, 4:46 PM
Well this ship may have sailed but does he have any younger brothers?

I suppose it's my fault you've never heard of that too?
Its your fault the match yesterday was so boring too!

shellyriver
11/08/2011, 5:41 PM
What position did, the missionary, Padre Campbell play?

SkStu
11/08/2011, 6:06 PM
though the answers in the question, i have it ob good authority that he played in the hole...

Eminence Grise
11/08/2011, 8:02 PM
Ive heard of costa coffee but not costa rossie. Is that a new blend?

Rich, strong, full-bodied, intense, a perennial favourite with the most discerning of palates...:coffee:

... but enough about me and my fellow Rossies!:cool:

paul_oshea
11/08/2011, 10:17 PM
I was sure you were talking to me there about me, then I read the qualified bit....:D

When describing us though you must include very well educated, and speak nothing like our coastal county neighbours.

You too Junior :)

gastric
12/08/2011, 8:29 AM
I feel sorry for Tets! Do we blame him as we missed out on Wayne Rooney too?

paul_oshea
12/08/2011, 9:40 AM
Yes..

Metrostars
12/08/2011, 3:05 PM
He played and scored in the Gold Cup for Costa Rica this year so he cannot change now. Also, his cousin posts on bigsoccer.

DannyInvincible
28/08/2011, 10:41 AM
I see Joel Campbell has been denied a UK work permit and will have to go out on loan from Arsenal (http://www.theshortfuse.com/2011/8/27/2388682/arsenal-news-roundup-august-27).

I'm beginning to question whether or not he actually had an Irish grandfather at all, as surely he could very easily take up Irish/EU citizenship if such was the case in order to allow him to reside in the UK. If you do a Google search, you'll see that Irish grandfather story is mentioned on plenty of forums but the only media outlet reporting it appeared to have been the Roscommon Herald, who stated, "it has been widely reported in various media outlets". That doesn't appear to be the case at all. In fact, I can't find it mentioned in any other media outlet; strange for something "widely reported". Either that, or I'm really bad at looking stuff up this morning.

Here's what I suspect... I think someone might have been having a laugh on the guys Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Joel_Campbell&action=historysubmit&diff=445681356&oldid=445666086) (now reverted to a previous edit, by the way), before some casual "researcher" picked up on it, possibly at Sky Sports News as I do see talk on one of the forums claiming it was mentioned during a Sky Sports News broadcast.

superfrank
28/08/2011, 11:23 AM
I found a short bit on him from July from the Spanish sports paper AS, which states his grandfather is Irish. The guy who wrote the piece is also one AS' leading reporters so he'd have a fairly good reputation to uphold.

http://blogs.as.com/siempre_cantera/2011/07/ases-a-seguir-en-el-mundial-sub-20-joel-campbell-costa-rica.

Costa Rica will be the first team to face Spain in the U-20 World Cup and will count on Joel Campbell, the pacy forward who shined in the Gold Cup, as well as the Copa America. Ricardo LaVolpe, the Costa Rica manager, took the decision to select the player for a third consecutive tournament in just two months and that could take it's toll on the dynamic, left-footed, fast, incisive and dangerous player. In Argentina, he showed his capability to give superb performances, like the one against Bolivia in which he scored and was named man of the match.

Campbell, born in 1992, plays for Deportivo Saprissa but it is said he is very close to joining Arsenal on a big deal which will give him the chance to play in Europe. Previously, he shined in the U-17s and U-20s, in which he was the top scorer in the different continental phases organised by Concacaf in those categories. His grandfather, who gave him his Anglo-Saxon surname, was Irish and this allowed him to play for their side. However, he chose to play for Costa Rica and you can enjoy it in this video.

boovidge
28/08/2011, 1:17 PM
Well he's lost his reputation already by saying Campbell is an Anglo-Saxon name. :p

theworm2345
11/12/2011, 9:53 PM
Well the connections continue, Costa Rican debutant Kenny Cunningham just scored an injury time equalizer in a friendly against Cuba. I think its safe to say that the comparison ends at the name seeing as this Cunningham scored a goal :D

Costa Rica also had a guy named Rodney Wallace starting.

Charlie Darwin
11/12/2011, 11:19 PM
They seem to be just taking names straight out of Premier League sticker albums from the 1990s.

Sullivinho
12/12/2011, 12:07 AM
I think its safe to say that the comparison ends at the name seeing as this Cunningham scored a goal :D

Possibly so.

SkStu
12/12/2011, 2:56 AM
They seem to be just taking names straight out of Premier League sticker albums from the 1990s.

Bobby Mimms was their keeper... ;)