PDA

View Full Version : James McClean

Pages : [1] 2

TrapAPony
07/08/2011, 7:02 PM
Pulled out of the Northern Ireland senior squad and wants to play for us - "Av made a decision for me personally i think would benefit me and am not gna explain myself to anyone for it. Its my decision end off case closed." Supposed to be going to Sunderland too.

Sullivinho
07/08/2011, 7:18 PM
Supposed to be having a medical at Sunderland on monday, an upgrade from being a target for Peterborough. Anyone seen enough of him to give an opinion?

"Av made a decision for me personally i think would benefit me and am not gna explain myself to anyone for it. Its my decision end off case closed."

...and before Nigel could reel off Gerry Armstrong's number, the line went dead.

theworm2345
07/08/2011, 7:21 PM
I saw he was from the Creggan in Derry when he transferred to Sunderland and thought surely he must have some sympathies toward the Republic. Then I saw he was in the NI squad and decided against making a thread. Anyway, could be a good addition.

DannyInvincible
07/08/2011, 7:27 PM
It appears that the FAI have had little, if anything, to do with his decision to pull out, so it will be intriguing to see who gets the blame for this one.

McClean's a good prospect but I don't think he'd be anywhere near our squad, never mind the first team. At least just yet anyway. We'll see how he progresses at Sunderland although considering the number of attacking midfielders they brought in this season, I'm not sure how much game time he'll get right away.

co. down green
07/08/2011, 7:37 PM
Good man James :)

SwanVsDalton
07/08/2011, 8:15 PM
His potential depends on whether he becomes a Keith Fahey or a Jay O'Shea for Sunderland. But I think his pace, strength and direct running is very suited to the Prem/Championship and he's been one of the outstanding LOI performers of this season. Every chance he'll make the leap and he's always come across as confident and assured off the field, so suggestion his mentality is right too. Here's hoping.

TrapAPony
07/08/2011, 9:48 PM
Good interview with him here
http://interviewloi.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-international-career-doesnt-lay-with.html

Sullivinho
08/08/2011, 12:16 AM
"Turncoat" McClean switches allegiance to Republic. (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/mcclean-switches-allegiance-to-republic-16033653.html)

Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson, Daniel Kearns and Paul George have all taken advantage of a FIFA ruling which, because of the Good Friday Agreement, allows players born in Northern Ireland to play for the Republic providing they hold an Irish passport
“I’m disappointed in James’ decision but maybe this could be one of those scenarios where I intervene. Ultimately it will be Nigel’s decision.”

Predator
08/08/2011, 12:41 AM
God help the spleens of IFA fans when they feast their eyes on this headline.

It shows that James has a lot of belief in himself, to pull out of a senior Northern Ireland squad where he was embarrassingly told he was destined not to play by the manager - "an honour", as Gerry Armstrong reminds us. Had the move to Sunderland happened sooner, we might have seen a different story of course, but it didn't and who really gives much of a damn? A young Derry man has opted to follow his dreams. Bravo!

Predator
08/08/2011, 12:44 AM
It appears that the FAI have had little, if anything, to do with his decision to pull out, so it will be intriguing to see who gets the blame for this one.

McClean's a good prospect but I don't think he'd be anywhere near our squad, never mind the first team. At least just yet anyway. We'll see how he progresses at Sunderland although considering the number of attacking midfielders they brought in this season, I'm not sure how much game time he'll get right away.The FAI's very existence is to blame sure. And let's not forget the sectarian idea of an independent Irish nation.

I'd argue that McClean's chances are as good, if not better than what Seamus Coleman's were when he signed for Everton. With a bit of luck and hard work, he could become a first choice, who knows?

DannyInvincible
08/08/2011, 1:32 AM
The tone of that piece is extraordinarily derisive, even for the Belfast Telegraph. They're usually more embarrassingly clueless than explicitly hostile.

No word of a lie; I actually broke into hysterical laughter when I read this bit:

Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson, Daniel Kearns and Paul George have all taken advantage of a FIFA ruling which, because of the Good Friday Agreement, allows players born in Northern Ireland to play for the Republic providing they hold an Irish passport.

It's just how it reads like a list of precise provisos or criteria as outlined by FIFA; all completely wrong and plucked out of God knows where, of course. Again.

ArdeeBhoy
08/08/2011, 1:35 AM
One or two choice comments here, but overall they seem resigned to it?

http://www.facebook.com/ourweecountry?sk=wall

The Fly
08/08/2011, 1:51 AM
"Av made a decision for me, personally i think would benefit me and am not gna explain myself to anyone for it. Its my decision end off case closed."

.....maybe he's just still stewing over the failed referendum on the Alternative Vote.

Perhaps someone could alert OWC to the possibility?

gastric
08/08/2011, 2:15 AM
Hold on to your keyboards everyone as this thread becomes the scene of the same old arguments! Good on you James.

CraftyToePoke
08/08/2011, 3:11 AM
Delighted with this - great to see him back himself to be good enough to play for the side he really wants to play for and not end up like McGinn & Co putting up with NI just to have an international career, I hope this works out for him, Myler got his chance at Sunderland and hopefully McLean will also, and take it.

BonnieShels
08/08/2011, 8:07 AM
The tone of that piece is extraordinarily derisive, even for the Belfast Telegraph. They're usually more embarrassingly clueless than explicitly hostile.

No word of a lie; I actually broke into hysterical laughter when I read this bit:

Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson, Daniel Kearns and Paul George have all taken advantage of a FIFA ruling which, because of the Good Friday Agreement, allows players born in Northern Ireland to play for the Republic providing they hold an Irish passport.

It's just how it reads like a list of precise provisos or criteria as outlined by FIFA; all completely wrong and plucked out of God knows where, of course. Again.

I was just about to go in and copy similar text from RTÉ's article but it seems to have been changed since I read it this morning. Still a little wrong but not too wrong.

www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0808/mccleanj_ireland.html

ArdeeBhoy
08/08/2011, 10:47 AM
Anyone know anything about Brian McLean, one or two are wittering on about in the comments on the newly-edited BT 'article'?

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 11:29 AM
Just a pity big shot McClean didn't decide that his boyhood dream was to play for the South earlier, and thus free up the Northern Ireland shirts he wore for players whose boyhood dream was to play for Northern Ireland - but, at least he's now weeded out, thank goodness.

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 11:43 AM
Anyone know anything about Brian McLean, one or two are wittering on about in the comments on the newly-edited BT 'article'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_McLean

A "**** up" by the IFA at the time.

Rule changes mean the IFA could now call him up.

SwanVsDalton
08/08/2011, 11:45 AM
Just a pity big shot McClean didn't decide that his boyhood dream was to play for the South earlier, and thus free up the Northern Ireland shirts he wore for players whose boyhood dream was to play for Northern Ireland - but, at least he's now weeded out, thank goodness.

What difference would it have made if someone else got a couple of U-21 caps? You really think any potential replacement wouldn't find his way into the NI setup ultimately if good enough? If it's just about getting to play, McClean surely was honoured to play international football for NI. Just because his ultimate dream is to play for ROI, it hardly negates his feelings at the time of playing underage.

According to the BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14436621.stm) he told Worthington of his intention three days after being called-up. More decisive than previous cases and surely closer to what NI fans would want in terms of clarity?

co. down green
08/08/2011, 11:49 AM
Quite funny on Facebook seeing current NI youth internationals 'liking' the fact that McClean has committed his international future to Ireland.

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 11:54 AM
What difference would it have made if someone else got a couple of U-21 caps? You really think any potential replacement wouldn't find his way into the NI setup ultimately if good enough? If it's just about getting to play, McClean surely was honoured to play international football for NI. Just because his ultimate dream is to play for ROI, it hardly negates his feelings at the time of playing underage.

According to the BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14436621.stm) he told Worthington of his intention three days after being called-up. More decisive than previous cases and surely closer to what NI fans would want in terms of clarity?

I want to see an end to players using the IFA as a stepping stone in their International careers. Players who are that way minded need to be weeded out.

McClean was put in a position whereby his bluff was called.

Credit to the lad for not messing about when the senior call up came - but, it's a pity he didn't show such decisiveness earlier in his career.

The sooner players like McClean have their bluff called, the better.

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 11:55 AM
Quite funny on Facebook seeing current NI youth internationals 'liking' the fact that McClean has committed his international future to Ireland.

Why don't these "youth internationals" do likewise?

SwanVsDalton
08/08/2011, 12:07 PM
I want to see an end to players using the IFA as a stepping stone in their International careers. Players who are that way minded need to be weeded out.

McClean was put in a position whereby his bluff was called.

Credit to the lad for not messing about when the senior call up came - but, it's a pity he didn't show such decisiveness earlier in his career.

The sooner players like McClean have their bluff called, the better.

What do you suggest? McClean send an SOS carrier pigeon to FAI headquarters asking for underage rescue. McClean was happy to play underage international football for NI, and the IFA were happy to have him. Neither party are under any obligation to continue any arrangement.

Surely asking these players to desist might have more of a negative impact - while these guys may likely choose ROI if possible, there's a chance (particular with the IFA going proactive with Armstrong etc) these players might stay on in the future if given the time to decide. Ask them to choose first might make NI lose out even more.

Also at what age should they decide? 14, 15, 18? While frustrated NI fans have my sympathies, about a very I'm get very worried about the idea of prescribing to young guys when they have to make a very, very important and possibly difficult decision.

EDIT - This is veering back into eligibility, which I'd rather not do here. If you want to respond, best to do it on the eligibility thread perhaps. And if you don't want to, then that's up to you (this ground has been well covered, in fairness). I'm only posting this because, for me, McClean's acted more decisively than most. Surely signs these guys are more aware of the eligibility issues when being called up.

paul_oshea
08/08/2011, 12:12 PM

Maybe, they don't like him :)

Sullivinho
08/08/2011, 12:13 PM
Paul Ferguson's indecision has seen the 'boastful turncoat' become Sunderland new boy (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/mcclean-switches-allegiance-to-republic-16033653.html) overnight.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6179/btmcclean.png

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 12:18 PM
What do you suggest?

I suggest that players who have "boyhood dreams" to play for the South, contact the FAI as a first port of call ie. before playing for Northern Ireland.

If it doesn't work out with the FAI, they can always contact the IFA and let them know they would consider a switch.

The Fly
08/08/2011, 12:35 PM
I suggest that players who have "boyhood dreams" to play for the South, contact the FAI as a first port of call ie. before playing for Northern Ireland.

If it doesn't work out with the FAI, they can always contact the IFA and let them know they would consider a switch.

Seconded.

SwanVsDalton
08/08/2011, 12:44 PM

Would NI fans realistically accept a player who'd already pre-empted any possible career with them? Not sure I see it myself.

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 1:32 PM
Would NI fans realistically accept a player who'd already pre-empted any possible career with them? Not sure I see it myself.

That depends on circumstances.

The broad point is that those players who harbour childhood dreams of playing for the South should make the FAI their first port of call.

DannyInvincible
08/08/2011, 3:31 PM

Tony Kane and Michael O'Connor appear to have been broadly welcomed back after having initially switched from the IFA. I'm not really sure why they're treated any differently to Alex Bruce, for example. Possibly, they just weren't high-profile enough to provoke a storm.

DannyInvincible
08/08/2011, 3:44 PM
David Healy was on Sky Sports News a few minutes ago giving his views on the James McClean situation. Anyone catch what he said?

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 3:49 PM
David Healy was on Sky Sports News a few minutes ago giving his views on the James McClean situation. Anyone catch what he said?

"It's a pity James didn't hook up with the Northern Ireland squad - I could have taught him a lot about being a benchwarmer at Sunderland"

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 3:50 PM
Tony Kane and Michael O'Connor appear to have been broadly welcomed back after having initially switched from the IFA. I'm not really sure why they're treated any differently to Alex Bruce, for example. Possibly, they just weren't high-profile enough to provoke a storm.

Kane got a song dedicated to him.

Bruce is a c**t.

ArdeeBhoy
08/08/2011, 4:24 PM
A bit harsh.
His old man is mind.

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 4:31 PM
A bit harsh.

You're right AB.

It is a bit harsh - on c**ts.

IsMiseSean
08/08/2011, 4:46 PM

The usual...
Don't disrespect the jersey, manager & fans
Playing for NI is about pride and passion
Ulster says no, blah blah blah....

Sullivinho
08/08/2011, 4:55 PM

"It's always disappointing to hear. I don't know the lad but he must be doing well for Derry, I think he's signing for Sunderland so he's obviously got something about him. But I've said before if you don't want to come and play for Northern Ireland, don't abuse the shirt, don't abuse the nation, don't insult the manager and the IFA by claiming you want to come and play in a friendly. Players have done that in previous years where they feel we're not sure, we haven't decided where we want to play, can we come and play in a meaningless friendly where it doesn't mean much, mixing amongst the lads for three or four days and then disappear off the face of the earth where we don't see them again. Don't abuse it, don't abuse the shirt. Northern Ireland's always been a place where we've prided ourselves on great pride and passion so don't come in and abuse our wee country."

dantheman
08/08/2011, 5:40 PM
On the OWC forum, apparently he is a Provo *****. Some are calling for Catholics to be excluded from future youth squads!

BonnieShels
08/08/2011, 6:26 PM
The poor wee country.

Sullivinho
08/08/2011, 7:16 PM
SSN now cutting Sir David's speech with the North of Ireland XI lining up for GStQ, head-bowing et al.

I applaud their sense of irony.

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 8:38 PM
On the OWC forum, apparently he is a Provo *****. Some are calling for Catholics to be excluded from future youth squads!

Have you a link to these comments...I had a look on OWC and couldn't see any such comments?

Predator
08/08/2011, 9:09 PM
Have you a link to these comments...I had a look on OWC and couldn't see any such comments?
Perhaps they've been removed or edited, but I also saw him being labeled a provo. It's the usual kind of bitter name calling that emerges when a player opts to play for the FAI that makes OWC fans nothing but an absolute laughing stock.

Not Brazil
08/08/2011, 9:17 PM
Perhaps they've been removed or edited, but I also saw him being labeled a provo.

In fairness, James makes no secret of his support for the Provos - it was highlighted on this very Forum that he displayed his support on Facebook.

I'm more interested in the other alleged comments about "calling for Catholics to be excluded from future youth squads!" - perhaps dantheman will post a link to said comments.

dantheman
08/08/2011, 9:46 PM

http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=31928&view=findpost&p=725827

after todays news i tend to agree with you, they are Irish catholics and are only interested in playing for the ROI (end of story) the longer this goes on the more my blood boils so just forget about them and try to gain more players from the mainland. Gerry will be the man for the job.

Impressive!!

ifk101
08/08/2011, 9:49 PM
A simple phone call before naming the squad would avoid all this fuss or maybe creating a media fuss was the IFA's intention.

ArdeeBhoy
08/08/2011, 10:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_McLean

A "**** up" by the IFA at the time.

Rule changes mean the IFA could now call him up.

Not wishing to be antagonistic :rolleyes:, but are you sure? According to Wiki, that is.
But will he be? Would back your judgement on this one.

And out of interest, when did that U-21 rule come into force?
Anyone know?

BonnieShels
08/08/2011, 10:05 PM
I've firmly believed that they have consistently attempted to embarrass all of the "recruits" knowing full well that they have no intention of ever turning out for the Province.

Or they are idiots...

yeah it's hard to know.

SkStu
08/08/2011, 10:17 PM
i think the real question in all this is whether McLean can hope to get to 29 pages like Shane Ferguson did. Exciting times ahead for this thread.

ArdeeBhoy
08/08/2011, 10:18 PM
In fairness, James makes no secret of his support for the Provos - it was highlighted on this very Forum that he displayed his support on Facebook.

I'm more interested in the other alleged comments about "calling for Catholics to be excluded from future youth squads!"

No offence, but he said he supports SF. Know there's a lot of paranoia about that in the Unionist community, but can assure you that not every current SF supporter 'supports the Provos' or anything like, so that's a slight slur on McClean?

As for the other quote, it doubtless comes from someone who probably supports the 'extreme' end of loyalism, but it doesn't automatically make them a 'terrorist supporter' either....