PDA

View Full Version : The Soccer Show

ccfcman
17/11/2001, 8:10 PM
Whats the deal with the soccer show?it being the only program about the e-league why the hell is it on at 1140pm on a friday evening.couldnt rte/network 2 put it on at a proper time when people arent out at the pub.

Seanie
19/11/2001, 9:28 AM
The time is ridiculous. The 7pm slot just before the Champions League game was ideal. But since RTE lost that they have just shafted the Soccer Show. What's the point in having the Eircom League's flagship show two hours after half the fixtures have been played on a Friday night and almost all supporters are out.

A face
19/11/2001, 2:46 PM
Does anyone know how much Sky bought the show for ???
It is a fairly good product for what it sets out to does !!

It could not be an RTÉ product ... i dont think they could put a show like that together, and that is not slinging the ****e, i am just going on other shows of the same nature that they have compiled. Does anyone know wha company makes it.

Again .... does anyone know who makes it, do they have a site or an e-mail address.

James
19/11/2001, 3:18 PM
here goes face...its an independently produced programme by Shay Healy's Safinia Productions, and its is in its fifth year i think on RTÉ

pete
21/11/2001, 10:58 AM
I believe it costs 450k to produce. This used to be split equally between RTE 7Up & the FAI.

The FAI sold it to Sky for 150k which means it doesn't cost them anything anymore.

I have previously pointed out to the Commish that its disappointing that Sky can show at the same time every week whereas RTE more it around from 11.20-11.50pm on the friday night graveyard shift.

Its probably no more than 50% eL material but is a very professionally produced show that really deserves a 7pm or so regular slot.

Next season should be ample opportunities to transmit the Soccer Show pre or post world cup matches.

Jaime
29/11/2001, 2:10 PM
The Commish says that they are in discussions to have a regular Sunday night highlights slot.
RTE are pushing to have it as part of the "Sunday Sport" show, but he wants it to be on its own.
If he gets his way (could he not just use internationals as leverage???) it could be a major step and the Soccer Show would be a secondary concern.

James
29/11/2001, 2:19 PM
thats definately a step forward and IMO the way to go for the moment rather then have a live game every week...a proper highlights package, thats well produced...if something like that was relayed at a decent hour ...and not 11.30pm on a friday night..then i reckon it could actually attracte people to the games...

most of the live games i have seen over the last number of years have been drab affairs..but that could be cause it's mostly dubaland clubs...and rte never have decent sounds mics on the crowds so any noise mad is drowned out by George "danger here" Hamilton's pathetic attempts at getting the players names right
:D

Macy
29/11/2001, 3:32 PM
Yeah, they always have the effects mic by the camera - compare that to sky's coverage where they have effects mic's every 10-15 yards around the pitch. If you use Dalyer as an example - the effects mic is no where near where the Jodi where the Bowez make their feeble attempts at singing.....

Jaime
30/11/2001, 10:37 AM
Better than the communal Buckie belch that is Longford singing...

Anyway, I wonder if RTE have actually pledged to get a camera to every game for this highlights package, because if they did this would be a new departure, big time.
However, if they are only promising to do the Dublin games, get whatever Derry they can from ITV, and sending the odd crew to the Cross, this will make absloutely no change from what we have been seeing for the past 10 years.
A camera at every game has to come out of these discussions, otherwise what are they going to achieve?

pete
30/11/2001, 11:56 AM
I think the clubs & the league also need to be a bit proactive themselves about providing or aiding a camera at their ground.

If the Commish can't get a separate weekly highlights show with the WC looming then he'll never get it.