PDA

View Full Version : Non-Shels fans views to the possibility of Shels getting promotion

Pages : [1] 2 3

TiocfaidhArmani
03/08/2011, 5:59 PM
We're ten points ahead with eleven games left, it's looking good, don't want to tempt faith, but what's the opinion of those in the Premier to Shels being back in about it. It seems ages since we last were in the top flight. Folk looking forward to the trips to Tolka again and resuming old battles?

harleyleeds
03/08/2011, 6:15 PM
We're ten points ahead with eleven games left, it's looking good, don't want to tempt faith, but what's the opinion of those in the Premier to Shels being back in about it. It seems ages since we last were in the top flight. Folk looking forward to the trips to Tolka again and resuming old battles?

Be great , even better if u replaced UCD.

BonnieShels
03/08/2011, 6:30 PM
Shamrock Rovers.

Jicked
03/08/2011, 6:36 PM
will Tolka have any work done to it if you go up? not sure if it would be able to take a big crowd with rival fan anymore.

Cuyahoga
03/08/2011, 6:43 PM
There is no doubt Shelbourne deserve to go up,they have been knocking on the door for a while. Personally I would rather Cork City go up as they would bring more to the league , large support , decent ground .

A face
03/08/2011, 6:45 PM
I'd agree, Tolka (its sad to say) is now a kip .... Facilities are brutal for visiting fans. I'd still go myself to be fair but i cant if i have kids with me.

harleyleeds
03/08/2011, 6:53 PM
There is no doubt Shelbourne deserve to go up,they have been knocking on the door for a while. Personally I would rather Cork City go up as they would bring more to the league , large support , decent ground .

how many going up this year and are galway staying up or playoff (if they dont disolve)?

sullanefc
03/08/2011, 7:04 PM
If Shels don't go up, I would be shocked. They are definitely the most consistent team in the division (as the table shows obviously). While I haven't seen them play live this season, it seems that Cassidy and Hughes score every week, they must be fairly handy.

Ezeikial
03/08/2011, 7:04 PM
Shelbourne can only add to the premier and their return will be well received.

Ezeikial
03/08/2011, 7:07 PM
how many going up this year and are galway staying up or playoff (if they dont disolve)?

The FAI have not formally announced this.

It is assumed from comments made by Fran Gavin last November that the top two are automatic promotions and 3rd place team play bottom (Galway) in the oremier for the remaining place.

Of course it could be decided by the amount of Aviva season tickets bought by a club, or how well behaved the clubs in contention have been in the FAI's eyes (Limerick have no hope btw)

citybone
03/08/2011, 7:10 PM
Ok im Biased as a Cork city fan but i think we are better for the prem than them but for both of us to go up is good. As a 3rd team Limerick or Mons. Mons currently have a nicer ground, Better run club but dont have huge potential while Limerick have great plans for Markets Field and Great Potential but i would be cautious it seems a lot like, Fingal's great plans etc. that we have seen fail and similar situations at other clubs.

harleyleeds
03/08/2011, 7:47 PM
The FAI have not formally announced this.

It is assumed from comments made by Fran Gavin last November that the top two are automatic promotions and 3rd place team play bottom (Galway) in the oremier for the remaining place.

Of course it could be decided by the amount of Aviva season tickets bought by a club, or how well behaved the clubs in contention have been in the FAI's eyes (Limerick have no hope btw)

would be good if that was the case and Shels and Cork came up with Mons beating Galway in playoff

dfx-
03/08/2011, 8:03 PM
I feel responsible. Every year since 2007 I've predicted Shels to walk away with the title from the start..only for the hilarity to ensue. This time I stayed quiet and they might get there..

nigel-harps1954
03/08/2011, 8:32 PM
Shels on the pitch deserve to be in the Premier on merit. It's simple as that, theres grounds in the Premier worse off that Tolka.

poster
03/08/2011, 8:42 PM
One chicken, two chicken...

brendy_éire
03/08/2011, 8:54 PM
Personally, I'm sick of the sight of the Dublin, and the N2 and M1 generally.
Including Ireland matches, I'll be at an east coast match 24 times this season. And with Galway probably getting relegated this season, it's not really going to get better.

Nothing against Shels, actually quite like our matches against them, it's just that variety in away trips match makes a season so much more craic.

sheao
03/08/2011, 11:21 PM

The top 2 going up automatically . Team in the first division that finishes 3rd in the first will face the team that finishes bottom of the premier division in a playoff over one game.

Stevo Da Gull
03/08/2011, 11:34 PM
Including Ireland matches, I'll be at an east coast match 24 times this season. And with Galway probably getting relegated this season, it's not really going to get better.

Nothing against Shels, actually quite like our matches against them, it's just that variety in away trips match makes a season so much more craic.

Just occured to me that I probably won't have a trip to Galway next year, barring an impressive resurgence. That's a nice enough trip, lovely city. Though my gripe isn't quite as severe as yours, I can imagine that the amount of repetitive trips would be annoying.

In answer to the original question, I wont complain to see Shels back. Hopefully ye'll bring good numbers to the Carlisle.. though I hope ye all leave dissapointed ;)

osarusan
03/08/2011, 11:46 PM
Good luck to Shels. I can't see you not getting promoted - the consistency you've had since you got Matthes as manager has been excellent.

Tolka is old and crumbling, but meet PD standards surely. From my trips there, a lot of the seats would need to bre replaced - broken seats everywhere, and I think the seats at the uncovered end have been exposed to the elements for too long - the whole section really doesn't look great.

On the issue of food - are there plans/facilities there for having food available for away fans? Kind of a funny situation last season where the Shels and Limerick 'hard' lads roared abuse, taunts and threats at each other all the first half, then the barrier was taken down at halftime and the Limerick lads walked right past the end stand to get their food (without any incident whatsoever as far as I could see). After the barriers were put back up when the second half started, all the abuse and threats started again, from behind the safety of the barrier.

harry crumb
04/08/2011, 12:26 AM
Having visited Tolka numerous times in the last few season it will not be something for visiting fans to look forward to.

In my opinion Shelbourne were loss to the Premier division when they left. They were everything that was wrong with the league for 10 + years.

Teams like Cork and Derry were far greater losses.

The Lep
04/08/2011, 1:12 AM

I understand what you are saying and its fair enough but at the same time when teams in the first have to play all over the country they complain and call it the discover Ireland league.
As much as i dislike Shels, they will change the make up of the premier division for the better when they go up. Galway, Drogheda and UCD need time in the first division and replaced with Cork and shels and Mervue Utd ;)

micls
04/08/2011, 1:48 AM
Shels will walk away with it. I hope they somehow manage to screw it up but I very very much doubt it.
I enjoy our games against them, because of the rivalry, but for the same reason I hope they stay in the first forever :D

I always enjoyed a trip to Tolka, but in recent years the place is crumbling. Not much they can do about it, but not exciting for an away fan to visit.

Overall, if we can get promoted I couldn't give a flying feck who else goes up, but if I had to chose another team it'd be Limerick. If we don't get promoted, well then I care even less really...

BonnieShels
04/08/2011, 1:49 AM
Facilities are brutal for visiting fans.

They're brutal for home fans too!

Can't really understand the criticism of Tolka when Dalyer exists. Can't wait for the day we're up. If its this November then Huzzah!!!

marinobohs
04/08/2011, 10:05 AM
Would be amazed if Shels manage to mess it up now (although they have a knack of surprising us with their ability to screw up :o) and fully expect them to return. Tolka is in a delapidated state, with little or no chance of any improvement given the current ownership status.

However IF Shels play in Tolka next season it will meet the (hardly taxing) Premier Lge requirements.

Macy
04/08/2011, 10:14 AM
Shels on the pitch deserve to be in the Premier on merit. It's simple as that, theres grounds in the Premier worse off that Tolka.
Season's over, is it? If they're in a promotion place at the end of the season they'll be there on merit.

Don't think they'll add anything, or take away. Tolka isn't what it was, and niether is their spending power. Shels fans would want to get over themselves if they think they are that important anymore.

Dodge
04/08/2011, 10:22 AM
So what is the story with Tolka? Are any sides closed off?

marinobohs
04/08/2011, 10:25 AM
So what is the story with Tolka? Are any sides closed off?

I understand (open to correction) that Ballybough end (opposite Lego stand) is unsafe but think the rest of the ground is usable.

passerrby
04/08/2011, 1:10 PM
hopefully mons win the leauge with mervue coming with a late run to pip shels to second spot and galway to be saved (by dvd) then everything would be right with the world. and limerick will be in the english premiership

TiocfaidhArmani
04/08/2011, 4:46 PM
They're brutal for home fans too!

Ever since Burdock's left us that is :(:(

WoodquayBoy
04/08/2011, 4:52 PM
theres grounds in the Premier worse off that Tolka.
1 ground maybe - Drogheda's gaff is a total kip - but no more than that. Give me Dayler over Tolka any time

GalwayRed
04/08/2011, 5:15 PM
Having visited Tolka numerous times in the last few season it will not be something for visiting fans to look forward to.

In my opinion Shelbourne were loss to the Premier division when they left. They were everything that was wrong with the league for 10 + years.

Cork and Derry deserved to be demoted just as much as Shels did. The way Cork behaved in their last season in the Premier they were absolutely no loss to it at all.
There is no point talking about what type of addition Shels will be to the Premier unless we actually get there.

SwanVsDalton
04/08/2011, 5:19 PM
I understand what you are saying and its fair enough but at the same time when teams in the first have to play all over the country they complain and call it the discover Ireland league.)

Term of endearment. At least it was for us.

CSFShels
04/08/2011, 8:40 PM
Ah yeah, despite Cork's inferior football side, inferior manager and fans who let their club die.

legendz
04/08/2011, 9:58 PM
I'd like to see Shels back in the Premier. I know it'll be another Dublin club but if they're good enough there can't be complaints. I hope Limerick get there as well. Not pushed on Cork but with the support they have they should be back in the Premier.

Lim till i die
04/08/2011, 10:09 PM
1 ground maybe - Drogheda's gaff is a total kip - but no more than that. Give me Dayler over Tolka any time

The Carlisle is a bit of a dump aswell.

Also, not sure Dundalks ground is much better in the context of away supporter facilities than Shels (admitedly disgusting) ones.

As for them getting to the Premier, not sure exactly what they'll be adding what with 18 Dublin clubs already up there but whatever.

Might take over Bohs spot assuming Bohs are doomed I suppose.

I've said it to the lads recently, with the way the First could potentially finish (no offence Monaghan), it's a crying shame for the FAI that UCD refuse stubbornly to become a shambles.

Imagine UCD down and Shels, Cork, Limerick up. Be as near to perfect a spread as they'd have had in a long time.

TiocfaidhArmani
05/08/2011, 7:30 AM
I can see us just opening the main and 'new' stand next season if we go up. I don't really see anything wrong with those two. They'll more than do the job.

Dodge
05/08/2011, 7:39 AM
I can see us just opening the main and 'new' stand next season if we go up. I don't really see anything wrong with those two. They'll more than do the job.

Not when Rovers visit

TiocfaidhArmani
05/08/2011, 7:45 AM
Not when Rovers visit

True, not sure what we'll do there. I wonder if the Ballybough and Riverside both unsuitable? Surely Ballybough would be okay. It's a stable structure in itself. Few, well a lot of missing seats, but that's about it, don't think it's unsafe per se.

Macy
05/08/2011, 7:46 AM
fans who let their club die.
Unlike shelsfans who let someone run amok for years, and instead of questioning hailed him as hero?

TiocfaidhArmani
05/08/2011, 7:54 AM
Unlike shelsfans who let someone run amok for years, and instead of questioning hailed him as hero?

Not sure many had the inside slant and what was happening exactly. That said, I don't get the hero worship, the man nearly ran us into the ground through sheer stupidity. What kills me is we soon enough won't have a home whereas we once had the best ground in the league.

Macy
05/08/2011, 8:04 AM
Not sure many had the inside slant and what was happening exactly. That said, I don't get the hero worship, the man nearly ran us into the ground through sheer stupidity. What kills me is we soon enough won't have a home whereas we once had the best ground in the league.
For years every other clubs fans could see it was sustainable at Shels, but shels fans would never accept it. To be fair, since then other fans fell into the same trap so maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but there's no moral high ground for shels fans.

TiocfaidhArmani
05/08/2011, 8:08 AM
For years every other clubs fans could see it was sustainable at Shels, but shels fans would never accept it. To be fair, since then other fans fell into the same trap so maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but there's no moral high ground for shels fans.

Fans never want to worry about balance sheets when the good times are rolling. We've seen that with others as you've said, and our good times really were good times. Some class European nights and so close to actual success in Europe. I don't think Shels are taking the high moral ground, I think it just sticks in the throat how Bohs have been treated compared to us being dumped on his arse three days after winning the league.

Enruoblehs
05/08/2011, 8:59 AM
Ballybough End in Tolka is currently closed - as is part of the Riverside.

Even without improvements in these areas, there is no problem in accommodating the current numbers of travelling fans in the Premier Division.

And Yes, for any games which necessitated the opening of the Riverside this season, a hot food outlet was provided for visiting fans.

The Lep
05/08/2011, 12:46 PM
what the league needs is a new Fingal team in the premier.

Cuyahoga
05/08/2011, 12:56 PM
what the league needs is a new Fingal team in the premier.
I hope you are been sarcastic. That is exactly what the League does not need.

sullanefc
05/08/2011, 12:57 PM
Shels to bottle it tonight. Come on City!!!!!!!

BonnieShels
05/08/2011, 1:00 PM
Gerrouravit!!!!

TiocfaidhArmani
05/08/2011, 1:28 PM
Shels to bottle it tonight. Come on City!!!!!!!

We're due a slip up, doesn't mean it's gonna happen tonight you langer you!

marinobohs
05/08/2011, 1:47 PM
Fans never want to worry about balance sheets when the good times are rolling. We've seen that with others as you've said, and our good times really were good times. Some class European nights and so close to actual success in Europe. I don't think Shels are taking the high moral ground, I think it just sticks in the throat how Bohs have been treated compared to us being dumped on his arse three days after winning the league.

Do explain.Have heard this whining from a small element of Shels fans for years yet none can tell me what rules Bohs broke. The fact is Bohs offered Shels a way out - rent Dalyer-which would have saved them but Ollie was so hell bent on shafting us (buying half of Dalymount for a small amount) that he let Shels go down the toilet instead.None of the sychophants at Tolka had the guts to shout "stop" and the fans cheered all the way.
Bohs members have a lot to answer for the state we are in but they are radicals compared to the "head in the sand" brigade at Tolka.

TiocfaidhArmani
05/08/2011, 2:20 PM
Non-payment of player wages. The 65% of turnover rule.