PDA

View Full Version : Boozing banned on buses to Brandywell

dcfc_1928
03/08/2011, 5:55 AM
This new NI law could impact supporters travelling to matches in the Brandywell:

New law means drinking fans 'could face prison'

People caught with alcohol on a hired vehicle going to a major sporting event could be jailed for three months under new laws.

For football, the new laws apply to international matches, IFA Premiership and Championship matches.

They also apply to Football Association of Ireland Premier League and First Division matches played in Northern Ireland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14358342

BonnieShels
03/08/2011, 7:04 AM
Just means we'll have to get our drinking done before Aughnacloy.

Sam_Heggy
03/08/2011, 7:10 AM
It's only for hired transport though, right?

So I can still down a few cans whilst driving to games? Only in my own car of course.

Finlay Harp
03/08/2011, 7:21 AM
Aye but Sam only have a dozen or so tins. You dont want to get to far over the limit!

Dodge
03/08/2011, 7:41 AM
Isn't it already banned in the Republic. Technically, at least

brendy_éire
03/08/2011, 8:56 AM
Drinking on buses in the north is already banned. The new law just bans possession as well. Of course, the previous law is completely unenforced, primarily, I assume, because it's unenforceable.

And it only applies if the driver is driving the bus for profit. Hire your own bus, and use your own driver, and ye can drink away.

I don't even know who it's aimed at really. Linfield and Glens? Linfield and Cliftonville? Stopping people drinking on a 15 minute bus journey isn't going to make a difference. And a wee bottle of whiskey is easily hid.

The more I look at that law, the more unenforcable it seems to get.
It also applies to GAA and rugby matches played in the south. I wonder how many Tyrone buses are going to get stopped and searched this weekend. That could be some craic alright.

Things could get even more tasty if they decide to haul over some Donegal fans going through Derry and Tyrone on their way to an All-Ireland semi-final and try and take their drink off them.

And it only applies to "major sporting events". I don't know how anyone could consider the likes of Banbridge vs Ballyclare in the IFA Championship as a "major sporting event". There wouldn't be a hundred people at it.

In reality, there'll be no real change for fans.

Sean South
03/08/2011, 1:56 PM
The drinking part of this new law made the headline but it's aimed more at combating football hooligans. Linfield vs Glens always attracts a bit of aggro. This law was first mentioned after the riots at Nordie Ireland vs Poland if I remember correctly. Using flares now can result in a three month jail sentence along with a £2500 fine.

Mr_Parker
03/08/2011, 7:26 PM
The drinking part of this new law made the headline but it's aimed more at combating football hooligans. Linfield vs Glens always attracts a bit of aggro. This law was first mentioned after the riots at Nordie Ireland vs Poland if I remember correctly. Using flares now can result in a three month jail sentence along with a £2500 fine.

You don't remember correctly. It was first muted back in 1999/2000.

It is not really aimed at anything in particularly other than ego boosting for some politicians who have never stepped foot in a football ground.

Macy
04/08/2011, 11:42 AM
Is it not just bringing NI Law into line with England and Wales (not sure about Scotland)? Regarding Flares - in England at least, misuse is considered a firearms offense.

corkharps
04/08/2011, 11:22 PM
Is it not just bringing NI Law into line with England and Wales (not sure about Scotland)? Regarding Flares - in England at least, misuse is considered a firearms offense.
Fock all wrong with flares lad,decent pair of pants them!Brits gooone mad again!

Mr_Parker
07/08/2011, 11:29 AM

It has been stated that for every offence listed in this legislation that the police already had powers to deal with it.

A face
09/08/2011, 11:00 PM
In reality, there'll be no real change for fans.

It may be hard to enforce but it is facilitate the PSNI while trying to defuse a situation. If, for example a bus full of LOI fans, say Bohs, hired a bus and made a trip up to Derry and started causing trouble after a skin full of cans, for example, went into a bar and started smashing it up .... then this legilastion would be perfect for that scenario, am i right???

BohsFans
12/08/2011, 5:26 PM
It may be hard to enforce but it is facilitate the PSNI while trying to defuse a situation. If, for example a bus full of LOI fans, say Bohs, hired a bus and made a trip up to Derry and started causing trouble after a skin full of cans, for example, went into a bar and started smashing it up .... then this legilastion would be perfect for that scenario, am i right???

cheers!

Mr_Parker
13/08/2011, 10:02 AM
Existing legislation could have dealt with such equally as well.

passerrby
13/08/2011, 10:15 AM
Now your been Silly this could not happen