PDA

View Full Version : Plans for pre-match in Nijmegen

tiktok
01/07/2004, 3:25 PM
We've got threads on who's going, how they're going, why they're going...

Time to start one on where we're having a beer beforehand. Should we get close to the stadium first or arrange a few beers in one of the 'Irish' bars beforehand. Thoughts?

Colm
01/07/2004, 3:32 PM
Fagan's was the spot where the Rebel Army set up HQ in Malmo and it was brilliant on Saturday and Sunday night with everyone associated with the club in the one place. I think something similar should be done in Nijmegen, however the team are flying home straight after the game so I doubt we'll have a repeat of last weeks high jinks!
I assume that some Irish bar will be nominated as the Rebel Army's base for Saturday, as long as everybody goes to the one place it's bound to be a good laugh.

pete
01/07/2004, 4:24 PM
I'd say everyone so preoccupied with getting to game & someone to lay their heads to have thought much about entertainment yet...

If theres an oirish bar there i'm sure it'll be the standard meeting point.

Citygirl
01/07/2004, 4:29 PM
there was a fella on 96fm earlier who runs an irish pub there...he said it was only bout 6 mins away from the ground in a taxi..cant for the life of me think of what it was called O'Sheas or something i think..anyway he said there was 250 in there last night for the euro 2004 semi final..oh and the pubs are allowed to stay 24 hours but the doors have to be closed at 4am..i think im gonna like nijmegen!!!

liamon
01/07/2004, 4:55 PM
..oh and the pubs are allowed to stay 24 hours but the doors have to be closed at 4am..
:eek:
I'm too old to face 24 hour drinking binges.

Then again, I guess it's kind of like drinking in small pubs in the middle of rural Ireland then, except at home they lock the doors around 12.00.

Anyway, off work now and not back til Monday afternoon.
:D :p :D

pete
01/07/2004, 5:19 PM
oh and the pubs are allowed to stay 24 hours but the doors have to be closed at 4am..

:eek: designated driver

Colm
01/07/2004, 6:41 PM
there was a fella on 96fm earlier who runs an irish pub there...he said it was only bout 6 mins away from the ground in a taxi..cant for the life of me think of what it was called O'Sheas or something i think.

Yeah, O'Shea's was also mentioned in the Examiner today so it sounds as if that will be this weekends Fagan's.

tiktok
01/07/2004, 8:10 PM
I contacted both O'Shea's and The Shamrock.
The former was much more helpful, while not knocking the other option they made it clear that O'Sheas was run by an Irishman while The Shamrock wasn't. They said they'll open Saturday afternoon, and they won't close "until we're full" and they mentioned the 24hr thing.

They're both very central and more or less the same distance from the Stadium, under ten minutes by Car or Taxi.

O'Shea's from 4-4.30 until 6-6.30 then down to the game and back afterwards? Does that Suit?

City Hero
01/07/2004, 10:28 PM
just did a search for "osheas irishpub nijmegen" and found this (http://www.europeanirish.com/PubsShops/BeneluxIrishPubs.htm#NetherlandsM-Z) interesting page. Nijmegen appears there twice.

See here (http://www.kroegenweb.nl/kroegpagina.php?kroegnummer=10149) for the Nijmegen O'Sheas pub website & see here (http://www.theshamrock.nl/) for The Shamrock (its in dutch).

I think the O'Sheas place looks the best option, The Shamrock looks a bit too posh for us :D

City Hero
01/07/2004, 10:30 PM
...........Actually, ignore the Shamrock link its a different Shamrock pub.

NorthoftheLee
02/07/2004, 8:03 AM
O'Shea's from 4-4.30 until 6-6.30 then down to the game and back afterwards? Does that Suit?

sounds like a plan hanibal.............. ;)

Peadar
02/07/2004, 9:17 AM
Time to start one on where we're having a beer beforehand.

There's a pub 5 minutes walk from the ground.
A real traditional boring Dutch pub.
If there's more than 8 of us though they'll have to get out the teapots and flower pots and potty pots because they don't get many people asking for large beers.
Been to both Oirish Bars and they're really what you make them.
With a good bunch, we'll have craic regardless.
I was thinking of bringing a camcorder, is that totally Gay or what like?

tiktok
02/07/2004, 9:24 AM

Only thing that might stop me is if it'd be allowed into the ground? They could be funny about letting people tape portions of the game

Peadar
02/07/2004, 9:29 AM
Only thing that might stop me is if it'd be allowed into the ground?

That'll be a first in Holland.
I offered them my backpack in the ArenA and they said "it's not a problem, we don't look for something."
In Nijmegen there was barely a ticket check, not to mention a bag search.

pete
02/07/2004, 9:30 AM
Probably just me again but i don't think should need to say they an irish pub as the names should be obvious which would mean O'Sheas then.

Ask James ;)

James
02/07/2004, 9:39 AM
Ask James ;)

depends if ya do it in an indie kinda way
footage from sweden particularly fagans afta is deadly, esp the singing :)

oh my god

Peadar
02/07/2004, 10:09 AM
depends if ya do it in an indie kinda way

Well, since I'm not tied to any commercial production agency, it will be completely "indie." :D

Eric
02/07/2004, 10:13 AM
O'Shea's it is then. I'll check it out tonight and report back on it tomorrow ;)

Peadar
02/07/2004, 10:40 AM
O'Shea's it is then. I'll check it out tonight and report back on it tomorrow ;)

Sorted.
Really looking forward to this now.

Flynninio
02/07/2004, 11:07 AM
will there be tickets for game at osheas or will we have to get at ground

tiktok
02/07/2004, 11:55 AM
will there be tickets for game at osheas or will we have to get at ground

tickets on sale at the ground from 5.30 AFAIK

bert
02/07/2004, 12:04 PM
tickets on sale at the ground from 5.30 AFAIK

After last weekend, I'd say most people would prefer to buy their tickets at the ground.

pete
02/07/2004, 12:09 PM
After last weekend, I'd say most people would prefer to buy their tickets at the ground.

Exactly, no advantage to club having to organise collection & delivery of tickets to people. Its not as if it'll be a full house.

NorthoftheLee
02/07/2004, 2:50 PM
ou the gap from work.......see ye at dublin airport in a few ish hours.....

Peadar
02/07/2004, 2:55 PM
see ye at dublin airport in a few ish hours.....

Yeah, see you all in the morning.
I'll be the guy wearing a green football shirt with red and white bits.
It has NISSAN written on the front.
Feel free to come up and introduce yourself, giving your Internet handle and real name :D

James
02/07/2004, 2:57 PM
Yeah, see you all in the morning.
I'll be the guy wearing a green football shirt with red and white bits.
It has NISSAN written on the front.
Feel free to come up and introduce yourself, giving your Internet handle and real name :D

what do ya mean their real names aint northofthelee and titok (a somewhat zany character i'll bet :) )

:D

Peadar
02/07/2004, 3:06 PM
(a somewhat zany character i'll bet :) )

I hope not, we have to share the car with him :D

tiktok
02/07/2004, 3:06 PM
what do ya mean their real names aint northofthelee and titok (a somewhat zany character i'll bet)

Tiktok, you big jessie, TITok is someone else. :D :D

I'm very very boring when it comes down to it ;)

Leaving work now, straight home to check foot.ie on the broadband, I think I'm addicted. To all those not travelling, we'll do you proud, keep an eye out on chorus ;)

pete
02/07/2004, 3:43 PM
I'll be the guy wearing a green football shirt with red and white bits. It has NISSAN written on the front.

Me too + furry dice hanging from my neck :eek:

Attack of the Rebel Army Clones.

Get ready for all those strange looks in belgium wondering who we are...