PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Slovakia - Friday, 2nd September 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Crosby87
31/07/2011, 11:30 PM
Now that the business of World Cup Qualifying has been sorted we can get back to the task at hand, ensuring Foot.ie members invade Poland/Ukraine next Summer to drink said countries dry.
312 days to go.

Slovakia in Dubs
Russia at Luzhniki Stadiom in Moscow.

Slovakias Lineup for its 1-0 win over Andorra in Bratislava:

Kello (GK)
Durica
Cech
Karhan*63
Jez (Yellow)
Vittek
Holosko
Hubocan
Hamsik
Kucka
Sebo
Subs: Sestak, Zofcak, Salato

Russia's Squad for its 3-1 win over Armenia in St Petersburg:

Akafeev (GK)
Anyukov
Berezutski (Yellow)
Ignashevich (Yellow)
Zhirkov
Senshov
Denisov
Zyryanov
Pavlyuchenko *26 *59 *73 (pen)
Arshavin
Torbinski

Subs:
Dzagoev, Yanubaev, Glushakov

So. Predictions?

paul_oshea
31/07/2011, 11:34 PM
That's a funny way of putting it lebron. He can't as opposed to has to miss.

We need a laborious 1-0 i think after that with othrt results we can see what we need from Russia.1 point may be enough to keep top.id be happy with that going into Andorra and Armenia.but we have to beat slovaks no question

Sullivinho
01/08/2011, 12:22 AM
Dunne missed Macedonia didn't he? I think (and hope) he's available for the Slovakia game. Unless you're not a fan and advocating dropping him ;)

Anyway, we have to beat them and I reckon we will. I'd have less confidence in the Russian encounter. Found myself looking at the standings in the other groups a few days ago with potential playoff opponents in mind.

Crosby87
01/08/2011, 12:31 AM
You are right-o Dunne is in. Im stupid. I thought we had someone on 2 yellows but it appears the only person to get carded vs Mace was Coxy.

Sullivinho
01/08/2011, 12:50 AM
It'd be nice to have a full strength squad for the occasion but I saw a butterfly flap it's wings earlier with blatant disregard for both chaos theory and Damien Duff's calf.

Crosby87
01/08/2011, 1:03 AM
Ahh no doubt you got that from the movie with your favorite actor, Ashton Kutcher. Poor Duffer.

zero
01/08/2011, 10:14 AM
can't wait for these now. we have to beat the slovaks, i hope trap realises this... i feel we can get 4 points out of the two games, but this irish team does have the unfortunate habit of raising ones hopes only to deflate them.

it will be curious to see how the slovaks approach the game, i'd expect they'll shut up shop and try and catch us on the break which could make for a grim contest. i'd gladly take a dodgy 1-0.

AlaskaFox
01/08/2011, 10:15 AM
Back to the usual Trap XI for the two matches? Or will recent games have altered the competitive eleven?

zero
01/08/2011, 10:20 AM
i think it'll be the usual 11 - there are always a few injuries at the start of a season though so whether we'll have all present and available remains to be seen.

Noelys Guitar
01/08/2011, 12:39 PM
Given, Dunne and Duff all playing well for their clubs in recent games. If we can keep injuries down to a minimum then we have a great chance of getting at least four points from the two games. That of course could mean dropping two points at home against Slovakia and then going to Russia and winning. Lets hope we really go for the jugular against Slovakia at home. Beat them and all the pressure will be on Russia to beat us.

zero
01/08/2011, 5:36 PM
for the three lads you mentioned it could be their last chance at playing again in a major tournament. certainly i can't see duffer still haring up and down the wing in 2014.

i just think we'll want it more than slovakia. we're better than them. if robbie is fit and firing and plays like he did in the recent friendlies we should do it.

irishfan86
01/08/2011, 11:50 PM
I think Duff will have more longevity than people think. His game doesn't rely on raw pace, he's very intelligent and has adapted to slowing down a bit.

As long as he wants to play for us, he'll have something to contribute. He could play a role for us in 2014 like Giggs plays for Man United now. That might mean coming off the bench, but whether he'd be willing to do that if another took his place is impossible to say.

Charlie Darwin
02/08/2011, 1:15 AM
I think it's more a case of wear and tear. He's had a lot of injuries, particularly to his knees. I don't think anyone would begrudge him an early retirement to close out his club career, if that's what he wanted to do.

dotts101
02/08/2011, 1:32 AM
i do agree that i think duff may retire at the end of the campaign, but he is such a legend that he may not retire and would do anything to help the cause, he always shows when he can!!! i do think be the usual trap 11 with coxy possibly being a sub before long unfortunately. but remember before the last double header against these 2 we bigged them up and came unstuck for 60minutes at the aviva!!! hopefully not happen again!!!

zero
02/08/2011, 12:52 PM
a friend of mine just got my ticket there (for the slovakia game).

1 month to go.

Crosby87
08/08/2011, 1:06 AM
Even with all the local talk i feel like this is the Big Show.

DannyInvincible
08/08/2011, 2:58 AM
Isn't this the Big Show?:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-U3cs-bVoaU0/TfmWxnjAI8I/AAAAAAAAB9s/o_KK4pkJL3w/s1600/big_show3.jpg

SwanVsDalton
11/08/2011, 12:23 PM
according to Dan McDonnell, Trap just named the provisional squad for the Slovakia/Russia games. It's the same as for the Croatia friendly. So this I guess:

Goalkeepers:
Shay Given
Keiren Westwood
David Forde

Defenders:
John O’Shea
Paul McShane
Kevin Foley
Seamus Coleman
Stephen Kelly
Stephen Ward
Richard Dunne
Sean St. Ledger
Darren O’Dea
Damien Delaney
Ciaran Clark
Kevin Kilbane

Midfielders:
Glenn Whelan
Darron Gibson
Keith Andrews
Keith Fahey
Andy Keogh
Aiden McGeady
Damien Duff
Stephen Hunt
Liam Lawrence
James McCarthy
Keith Treacy
Marc Wilson

Strikers:
Robbie Keane
Kevin Doyle
Jon Walters
Shane Long
Simon Cox

Evidently Coleman and a few others won't be involved. Presume he'll cut it to 25 or so in a couple of weeks.

TrapAPony
11/08/2011, 12:30 PM
''Trap talks of players desperate to join Team Trap, including Jermaine Pennant (gulp) & others I couldn't understand...basically lots.'' - Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh (Twitter)

Crosby87
11/08/2011, 12:34 PM
Why does he even bother naming James McCarthy? There is a better chance of Elvis showing up healthy for those 2 matches than that kid.
And the fact that Trap still loves and wants Cox constantly.... very alarming.

tetsujin1979
11/08/2011, 1:29 PM
Coleman is the obvious one there to miss out on the game

SkStu
11/08/2011, 6:38 PM
Why does he even bother naming James McCarthy? There is a better chance of Elvis showing up healthy for those 2 matches than that kid.

class! :D

Sullivinho
11/08/2011, 10:10 PM
''Trap talks of players desperate to join Team Trap, including Jermaine Pennant (gulp) & others I couldn't understand...basically lots.'' - Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh (Twitter)

Trap wants new deal (http://www.fm104.ie/news/news-item.aspx?ID=670114cc-7aec-4d49-b8f3-1645575cdd2f&audio=true)

Giovanni Trapattoni says that he would be to happy sign a new contract with the FAI. The Republic of Ireland manager says he wants to stay on in the job after the Euro 2012 Qualifying campaign, regardless of whether his side qualify or not. Trapattoni says that he must be doing something right with the Irish team because there are a number of players looking to get involved with the squad. The Irish boss says players like Jermaine Pennant, David Myler (sic) and James McClean are all eager to get call ups.

The accompanying photo on that page captured Manuela's reaction upon mention of Jermaine Pennant's name. Great snap.

http://fm104assets.u.tv//NewsImages/1/4/3/217341/295x160/Giovanni-Trapattoni-007.jpg

Irish_Praha
11/08/2011, 11:10 PM
What a revelation David Meyler wants to play for Ireland? Who would have expected that? :eek:

Give Trap a 10 year contract extension now!

TrapAPony
12/08/2011, 12:19 AM
The accompanying photo on that page captured Manuela's reaction upon mention of Jermaine Pennant's name. Great snap.

http://fm104assets.u.tv//NewsImages/1/4/3/217341/295x160/Giovanni-Trapattoni-007.jpg

Are you sure that wasn't when Trapattoni announced Andy Keogh's name in the squad?

Crosby87
12/08/2011, 12:54 AM
Or when he said "Manuela loves Cox?"

paul_oshea
12/08/2011, 10:43 AM
I can't be arsed looking for the kevin kilbane thread, but I think Traps recent musings re:kilbane prove he doesn't watch enough of our players or fringe players. Anybody could see how many times and how easily Ward was caught out last season. I would blame him directly for at least 6 of the goals I saw conceded down the left. He has an awful habit of standing too far off his man too, giving him too much time and space to execute.

I never thought I would be asking for kilbane, but I honestly feel his experience if nothing else would be of greater benefit to the team than Ward. Good to know though that Trap at least doesn't see kilbane as a player he ever really wanted, but needed to fill a hole. I have faith in his judgement. If only he could actually watch (more of) our players in the premiership.

Crosby87
12/08/2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah Paul seriously do you think he gets DVD's of players playing for their club teams? I always wonder about that. I can see him sound asleep in front of the TV with a half bottle of limoncello about to fall out of his hand snoring loudly in some Armani bathrobe as Cox sticks it in vs Luton.
I'm not putting Trap down just wondering if he ever watches film. Or if the FAI sends him DVDs in the first place. Or if he is too old to have a DVD player. It was a big mess getting one for my Gran last Xmas.

paul_oshea
12/08/2011, 3:23 PM
Ah ya but your gran was irish(or polish). I think he watches some, im just not sure what ones he does watch.

Noelys Guitar
13/08/2011, 12:14 AM
We are very close to serious time again. Very happy we drew 0-0 in a drab game rather than winning and looking good/slick. Even better both our upcoming opponents won. The way I like it. Would definetely love to see a fully fit Kevin Doyle back. Reports today from the Wolves forum suggest he will be back very soon and might even play this weekend. Key player for me in both up coming games. Interesting to hear Trap suggesting that we might play 5 in midfield in Russia (Doyle up front Robbie dropping back). Don't want to mention that game again until after the very difficult Slovakia game. A game we have to win. And one I believe we will win.

gastric
13/08/2011, 9:12 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this - not a bad team , I 'm sure they would easily beat Russia. However, Delap in midfield is a bit of a shock!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/irelands-best-premier-league-xi-2847402.html

Closed Account
13/08/2011, 4:47 PM
Squad Watch

Goalkeepers:
Shay Given Started
David Forde Started
Keiren Westwood Bench

Defenders:
Stephen Ward Started Goal
Richard Dunne Started
Darren O’Dea Started
Damien Delaney Started
Kevin Kilbane Started
Kevin Foley Bench Used
Ciaran Clark Bench Used
Stephen Kelly Bench
Sean St. Ledger Bench
John O’Shea Injured
Paul McShane Injured
Seamus Coleman Injured

Midfielders:
Keith Fahey Started Goal
Damien Duff Started
Stephen Hunt Started
Liam Lawrence Started
James McCarthy Started
Keith Treacy Started
Keith Andrews Bench Used
Glenn Whelan Sunday
Marc Wilson Sunday
Darron Gibson Sunday
Andy Keogh ------
Aiden McGeady Injured

Strikers:
Kevin Doyle Started
Jon Walters Sunday
Shane Long Sunday
Simon Cox Sunday
Robbie Keane ------
Interestingly, while only 18 of these players could make Dublin on Wednesday, 20 have made the matchday squad today.

Stuttgart88
14/08/2011, 8:39 PM
Great info Joe, thanks.

Fixer82
16/08/2011, 12:59 PM
It's a bit strange the match is on a Friday though no? Is this correct?

pineapple stu
16/08/2011, 1:09 PM
It's the way things have been done this campaign. More time for players to recover before their next club game.

Fixer82
16/08/2011, 1:16 PM
Cool. Suits me better as i'm going to the Electric picnic the next day

Littlest Hobo
19/08/2011, 1:30 AM
My team for slovakia game. Trap will approach this with 3 points in mind. So think this would do the job;

Given

Foley
Dunne
St Ledger
Ward

Duff
Whelan
Gibson
Hunt

Keane
Long

Foley is more dependable than Kelly. Ward has impressed for Wolves at LB and was good against Croatia. Can't see O'Shea make a return on time, so Dunne and St Leger should work well together.

Mc Geady is injured at the moment, so Duff and Hunt are natural choices on either wing. Whelan was decent against chelsea recently and has been getting good game time. Not sure who else to partner him in MF, so Gibson seems obvious choice, as don't see trap having faith in either fahey or mc carthy.

Keane to play even though he's now in LA. Would play Long as he scored against man utd and looked decent against croatia. Doyle is still off the pace so would be a good substitution.

This team will beat slovakia. I'm going for 2-1.

The result from dublin, will determine how Trapp approaches russia. So cannot predict lineup yet...

DannyInvincible
19/08/2011, 1:43 AM
Trap will approach this with 3 points in mind.

Jesus, you'd hope so anyway.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Ward got the nod, although Kilbane hasn't done badly there in more recent times. Is Clark completely out of the reckoning?

I heard McGeady is back in training and may be fit to play for Spartak within the next week or two. Is that correct?

It's worrying that Gibson may have to start for us in such a crucial game. His recent performance against Croatia indicated we might as well be starting with ten men.

Sullivinho
19/08/2011, 2:29 AM
Foley is more dependable than Kelly. Ward has impressed for Wolves at LB and was good against Croatia. Can't see O'Shea make a return on time, so Dunne and St Leger should work well together.

Mc Geady is injured at the moment, so Duff and Hunt are natural choices on either wing. Whelan was decent against chelsea recently and has been getting good game time. Not sure who else to partner him in MF, so Gibson seems obvious choice, as don't see trap having faith in either fahey or mc carthy.

Keane to play even though he's now in LA. Would play Long as he scored against man utd and looked decent against croatia. Doyle is still off the pace so would be a good substitution.

This team will beat slovakia. I'm going for 2-1.

The result from dublin, will determine how Trapp approaches russia. So cannot predict lineup yet...

I like Foley but he's been a bit (unusually) shaky for us during the limited opportunities he's been given. If I know Trap and O'Shea doesn't make it, I think Kelly would get the nod.

It's worrying that Gibson may have to start for us in such a crucial game. His recent performance against Croatia indicated we might as well be starting with ten men.

I share your concern but I reckon Trap will favour Andrews, especially now he's playing regularly. As limited as he is, you know what you're going to get from him.

Junior
19/08/2011, 10:25 AM
I like Foley but he's been a bit (unusually) shaky for us during the limited opportunities he's been given. If I know Trap and O'Shea doesn't make it, I think Kelly would get the nod.

I share your concern but I reckon Trap will favour Andrews, especially now he's playing regularly. As limited as he is, you know what you're going to get from him.

Agree with that. Thinks its what Trap would do and tbh its what I would do. KK or Wardy toss of a coin at the moment for me.

Supreme feet
19/08/2011, 1:38 PM
Think it will be:

GK: Given

RB: O'Shea
LB: Ward
CB: Dunne
CB: St. Ledger

CM: Whelan
CM: Andrews
LM: McGeady
RM: Duff

FW: Keane
FW: Doyle

AlaskaFox
19/08/2011, 2:38 PM
Given, Killer, Dunne, St. Ledger, O' Shea, Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady, Doyle, Keane

SwanVsDalton
19/08/2011, 2:47 PM
Given, Killer, Dunne, St. Ledger, O' Shea, Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady, Doyle, Keane

Yup. I think Trap will totter to the edge of selecting Ward, dip his toes in the water and then retreat back to the Kilbane parasol. Where he can sip chianti and watch DVD's.

Junior
19/08/2011, 5:21 PM
Kelly played RB in Fulhams 3-0 win last night in the Europa, actually got an assist as well, firing over a cross.

Baird was on the bench. Possibly looks like Jol might fancy our Stephen ahead of Baird (who apparently made a few gaffs against Crusaders) for the RB spot. Early days yet I suppose.

swinfordfc
19/08/2011, 10:00 PM
Kelly played RB in Fulhams 3-0 win last night in the Europa, actually got an assist as well, firing over a cross.

Baird was on the bench. Possibly looks like Jol might fancy our Stephen ahead of Baird (who apparently made a few gaffs against Crusaders) for the RB spot. Early days yet I suppose.

No - he play hughes rb with hangeland and senderos at central back .... thats how he started against villa!

Junior
19/08/2011, 10:47 PM
True, he played Hughes at RB against Villa but I was chatting to a Fulham fan and she doesn't see him being a perm fixture there. Would be a bit weird having a CB playing there ahead of two RBs.

As I said though, it's early days, only a few games in to the season.

Closed Account
22/08/2011, 4:57 PM
Squad watch 20-22/8

Goalkeepers:
Shay Given Started
David Forde Bench
Keiren Westwood Bench

Defenders:
Kevin Kilbane Started Goal
Stephen Ward Started
Richard Dunne Started
Darren O’Dea Started
Damien Delaney Started
Ciaran Clark Started
Kevin Foley Bench Used
Stephen Kelly Bench
Sean St. Ledger Bench
John O’Shea Injured
Paul McShane Injured
Seamus Coleman Injured

Midfielders:
Keith Fahey Started
Damien Duff Started
Stephen Hunt Started
Liam Lawrence Started
James McCarthy Started
Keith Treacy Started
Keith Andrews Started
Glenn Whelan Started
Marc Wilson Started
Andy Keogh Started
Darron Gibson ------
Aiden McGeady Injured

Strikers:
Robbie Keane Started Goal
Kevin Doyle Started Goal
Shane Long Started Goal
Jon Walters Started
Simon Cox Bench

paul_oshea
22/08/2011, 4:59 PM
True, he played Hughes at RB against Villa but I was chatting to a Fulham fan and she doesn't see him being a perm fixture there. Would be a bit weird having a CB playing there ahead of two RBs.

As I said though, it's early days, only a few games in to the season.

What were you doing chatting to one of them?

Stuttgart88
22/08/2011, 8:15 PM
A lot more "started" and "scored" in Joe's list than this time last year.

Kingdom
22/08/2011, 8:47 PM
Missing my first home competitive match since Portugal home in 2001, all thanks to a buddies wedding in Limerick. Disgusted,

Given,
Kelly (if O'Shea unfit)
Dunne
Sledger
Ward
Hunt (if McGeady unfit)
Whelan
Andrews
Duff
Keane
Doyle

Slovakia result will dictate the other game so will wait for that one.