PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Slovakia - Friday, 2nd September 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

SwanVsDalton
30/08/2011, 9:54 PM
[Anecdote about inflatable hammer brigade] but to go around in the immediate aftermath of such a crucial defeat playing the stereotypical happy drunken Irish fan without even a tinge of sadness was something I couldn't fathom. Frankly, I felt embarrassed as the bemused [insert nationality here] looked on.

We've all been there. Urgh.

EastTerracer
30/08/2011, 10:00 PM
We've all been there. Urgh.

I know exactly where you're coming from - all the way back to Italia 90, I was devastated the night that Italy beat us but there were people dancing around with a "didn't we do well" attitude.

On a similar theme I nearly got in an argument in Japan when some lad said I was taking the match too seriously..... "aren't we all just here for a bit of craic?"

theworm2345
30/08/2011, 11:19 PM
At least people over there understand why you're ****ed off, here people try to talk to me after a rough loss, get an earful, then just think I'm an ass (which, though I may be, is not a fair judgement to make under those circumstances).

Crosby87
31/08/2011, 12:24 AM
Whats the little guy with the walkie talkie saying in that picture?
"Eh...Tell Trap the lunch trough has arrived. Sorry lads, all we could afford."

osarusan
31/08/2011, 3:15 AM
Has Trap introduced some new training equipment this week....?
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/static/images/2011/0830/1224303214650_1.jpg?ts=1314740767
Trying to get his message about agricultural football across?

Paddy Garcia
31/08/2011, 6:14 AM
Its Stan's coach.

Hibs4Ever
31/08/2011, 7:43 AM
Don't know if mentioned already but Sloakia captain Marek Hamšík (Napoli) is out of Fridays game now through injury

Acccording to Slovak news this morning, they now expect him to play, and will be waiting until last minute to decide

AlaskaFox
31/08/2011, 9:20 AM
Ipswich laid it on for Andrews to get across.

jbyrne
31/08/2011, 10:11 AM
Acccording to Slovak news this morning, they now expect him to play, and will be waiting until last minute to decide

its a hamstring injury isnt it? if it happened last weekend as i heard reported then there is no way he will be properly fit for friday. i heard he wasnt able to walk properly on sunday...... 2 weeks recovery minimum. if they take a risk on him then even better for us i feel

Hibs4Ever
31/08/2011, 10:43 AM
its a hamstring injury isnt it? if it happened last weekend as i heard reported then there is no way he will be properly fit for friday. i heard he wasnt able to walk properly on sunday...... 2 weeks recovery minimum. if they take a risk on him then even better for us i feel

Yep, I think thats what it is, they are considering taking a risk on him even if not fully fit.

Crosby87
31/08/2011, 11:01 AM

Good morning, this is Slovak news. We have an update on Martin Hamsik, who is going to play, and they will wait to the last minute to decide. But first, your commute.

elroy
31/08/2011, 11:42 AM
Here is my best Slovak translation from one of their newspapers today - Sounds like Hamsik has some problem with a strong branch!?! Judging by the below you'd have to see that at least he is doubtful for Friday.

Head coach of the football team Slovakian Vladimir Weiss st. has focused on the struggle against Senec qualification procedure at the European Championship 2012 against Ireland and Armenia have a complete squad. The team was joined by Vladimir Weiss. Peter Pekarík and Marek Hamsik, who were missing on Monday evening workout.

Hamsik traveled to Slovakia injured, troubled by a strong 'branch', which received a preparatory meeting in Naples to Palermo. MRIs for Hamsik injury, however, showed a larger scale, so I took him on Tuesday under the auspices of the Slovak national team coach Conditioning Martin Rusnak.
Health problems and the goalkeeper Marian Kello and defenseman Tomas Hubocan. Scottish goalkeeper Heart of Midlothian was injured over the weekend in the league, Hubocan on Tuesday evening was also still in the care of doctors Slovak choice.
Since Kello unable to train with arm problems in Senec appeared on the lawn of Matthew Putnocký Slovan Bratislava. About who will travel to Dublin to decide before Wednesday's flight.
"On Tuesday evening train all the players except Hubocan and Kelly, Hamsik is prepared individually. Will have a decisive event in their doctors, to change the nomination yet come. Personally, I find it extremely positive that Mark came in and tried to train," said Director of communications and PR Slovak Football Association George Curno.

"Representatives meeting to play half court and in addition, practicing various gaming activities. Offensive players practiced shooting on goal, defenders passing over longer distances," he said.

"Weissovci" on Wednesday afternoon by air moved from Bratislava to Dublin a day later to test the terrain of modern Aviva stadium.
Its seventh Duel qualifying Group B on the procedure for EURO 2012 to Poland and Ukraine will play in Friday 2 September at 20:45 h GMT.

elroy
31/08/2011, 11:48 AM
Some comments:

1. It would be a pity if Hamsik and Hubocan just could not play. I can not ake me Hubocan injury, but my opinion is too Hamšíková injury by Marek on Friday nastupi.Este enough time afterwards to doctor and physiotherapist mainly hromady.Konar Rusnak gave up just muscle injury, which can disperse massages and injections. will need to team stood in full force because I Iri super unpleasant home and before a full auditorium will want to show in the best svetle.Nas may be imported to win, who believe the only 100.percetny performance of all players and a piece of the famed stasticka to us in several matches of chybalo.Verim on Friday at half eleven on tv we're all smiles my.Drzme thumb.

2. and especially beside himself, we can put together a strong base. assembly, while the rotation also have strong players who can decide. I think it will be fast and hard football. We must keep the ball in the middle of the longest, nepúšťať pressure them into a longer fast break and benefit. We have to do it. I cross my fingers. I guess a draw and 2: 2!

3. Kelly (Mucha) - Durica (Pekarík), Skrtel, Michalik, Cech - Karhan - Stoch, choked, Guedel - Jendrišek, Hološko

I hope in the victory, but the reality will be about 3 points for the Irish (1-0 and likely to fight hard throughout the match)
Hamsik let saves the Italian league, because in fact no national team plays. And I would also welcome the nomination of players Pilsen!

paul_oshea
31/08/2011, 12:05 PM
It sounds just like Trap!

AlaskaFox
31/08/2011, 1:10 PM
Even calling Kello Kelly. :D Andy Keyhole up front for us anyway.

punkrocket
31/08/2011, 1:29 PM
Has Trap introduced some new training equipment this week....?
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/static/images/2011/0830/1224303214650_1.jpg?ts=1314740767
So what do you reckon the best line would be
1 Irish players enjoying a break at their new training ground in Lilliput
2 Dunne and O' Shea knocking back the growth hormone
3 Leprechaun - " And if you like that wee taster I've got a trailer full of it right there for the lot of ye"
Vote now.
(apologies for all the sizism)

paul_oshea
31/08/2011, 1:38 PM
I just thought they were taking a deserved break after a morning throwing turf.

tetsujin1979
31/08/2011, 2:28 PM
So what do you reckon the best line would be
1 Irish players enjoying a break at their new training ground in Lilliput
2 Dunne and O' Shea knocking back the growth hormone
3 Leprechaun - " And if you like that wee taster I've got a trailer full of it right there for the lot of ye"
Vote now.
(apologies for all the sizism)
(guy on walkie talkie)
These players are small, both those are far away...

zero
31/08/2011, 2:49 PM
what's the level of interest like in these games back home? from the outside, it seems not a great deal. even the other irish lads here seem more interested in the transfer window closing.

Duggie
31/08/2011, 2:55 PM
lads get out and mow that pitch, its like a caaaaar paaaaaark out there ah ahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa mmmwwwwaaaaahhhhh

Stuttgart88
31/08/2011, 3:27 PM
caption competition:

When Paul Rowan and Liam Kelly were spotted at Malahide, Trapattoni told his senior players not to talk to detractors.

or

Ipswich Town today had to deny rumours that the club is to sign two Irish internationals. Giovanni Trapattoni apologised for the misunderstanding. "All I said was that Dunne and O'Shea were going to da tractor, boys."

paul_oshea
31/08/2011, 3:37 PM
Trapatoni must have picked up the north dub lingo then....

elroy
31/08/2011, 5:11 PM
what's the level of interest like in these games back home? from the outside, it seems not a great deal. even the other irish lads here seem more interested in the transfer window closing.

Its actually all a little low key at the moment, but am sensing anticipation starting to rise in the last day or so. Few people round the office starting to talk about etc. The last few days has been more about the rugger team flying out to NZ (Who cares?!)

BonnieShels
31/08/2011, 5:23 PM
I got asked about tickets today.

It's rumbling. Once the deadline day circus ends all will be back to normal.

Closed Account
31/08/2011, 5:25 PM
The struggle to get work done by lunchtime Friday is starting to loom, all the time checking this place.

AlaskaFox
31/08/2011, 6:26 PM
caption competition:

Ipswich Town today had to deny rumours that the club is to sign two Irish internationals. Giovanni Trapattoni apologised for the misunderstanding. "All I said was that Dunne and O'Shea were going to da tractor, boys."

My Keith Andrews one was obviously too subtle :D

AlaskaFox
31/08/2011, 7:49 PM
Rough (google) translation of a post on a Slovak sports site:

DUBLIN - Filip Hološko almost two years ago sealed the victory over the Slovakian national football team Northern Ireland (2:0) in a successful effort Vladimir Weiss team to advance to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, Piešťany native hopes he can repeat this piece in the Friday match skills Euro 2012 in Ireland.

http://sportky.topky.sk/c/70987/holosko-veri-timu-v-irsku-chce-uhrat-aspon-bod

Wrong team lads.

BonnieShels
31/08/2011, 8:12 PM
Ipswich laid it on for Andrews to get across.

No no, we got it.

BonnieShels
31/08/2011, 8:14 PM
Rough (google) translation of a post on a Slovak sports site:

http://sportky.topky.sk/c/70987/holosko-veri-timu-v-irsku-chce-uhrat-aspon-bod

Wrong team lads.

Hard to know if they are wrong in that case with that translation. Maybe they are just hoping to repeat the result of their last visit to Ireland.

paul_oshea
31/08/2011, 8:28 PM
Id go with that too bring back

EastTerracer
31/08/2011, 8:32 PM
For once its not our players flying around on transfer deadline day to get a deal done. Slovakian player Marek Cech was given permission to fly to Turkey today to sign for Trabzonspor (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11698_7141205,00.html) from West Brom.

I'm sure he'll be flying back to meet up with the squad in Dublin but that can't be great preparation for Friday.

Stuttgart88
31/08/2011, 9:10 PM
My Keith Andrews one was obviously too subtle :DMy apologies. My new job means only fleeting access to foot.ie. I missed it completely. Plagiarism accusation accepted. Guilty as charged.

paul_oshea
31/08/2011, 9:43 PM
Stutts, you found a job, where they expect you to actually work?

Stuttgart88
31/08/2011, 9:48 PM
I'm not sure what they expect of me. Until I find out I'm only flicking in and out of football sites.

DannyInvincible
01/09/2011, 12:37 AM
This was ten years ago today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItWbGZxMC5Q&feature=player_embedded#!

More of the same on Friday, please. :)

Charlie Darwin
01/09/2011, 12:58 AM
We got a lot of slices of fortune that day, including a couple from the ref. George was remarkably restrained in his reaction to Gary Kelly's red card.

SwanVsDalton
01/09/2011, 1:06 AM
Oh aye we were steeped in it. We were due it though. More of that this week please.

DannyInvincible
01/09/2011, 1:12 AM
We got a lot of slices of fortune that day, including a couple from the ref. George was remarkably restrained in his reaction to Gary Kelly's red card.

I think it was one of the most nerve-racking I can remember as we were so under the kosh, especially in the last ten minutes or so, and had been treading an extremely fine line from the very outset. McAteer's goal was completely unexpected. Didn't Holland have about 4 of 5 strikers on the pitch by the end? Crazy.

Charlie Darwin
01/09/2011, 1:48 AM
It's one of the few Ireland games I never made a move from before the end. We ended up being blocked in the stand for about half an hour because people were very slowly celebrating their way down the steps. Incredible to think it was 10 years ago already. Time flies when you're not qualifying for things.

shakermaker1982
01/09/2011, 8:58 AM
Predictions anybody for the double header?

What would you be happy with points wise?

paul_oshea
01/09/2011, 9:07 AM
Overmars looks like he has been slain in that video around 1:40s

pineapple stu
01/09/2011, 9:16 AM
Predictions anybody for the double header?

What would you be happy with points wise?
Four would be superb. Three would probably have us in for the play-offs (unless Slovakia to the double over Russia) - I suppose that'd have to be success, even given our record in play-offs. Pessimistic me says 1 is a distinct possibility.

lionelhutz
01/09/2011, 10:19 AM
Has everyone agreed the starting line up will be Given, O'Shea, Dunne, St. Ledger, Ward, Duff, Whelan, Andrews, McGeady, Doyle, Keane? Or is McGeady not fully fit? Or does anyone think he'll stick with Kilbane over Ward?

If the above is the starting 11, with options like Hunt and Long from the bench, I'm extremely optimistic about getting the win on Friday.

My prediction is 2-0 Ireland, Keane and McGeady. Any other predictions?

Sullivinho
01/09/2011, 10:36 AM
Has everyone agreed the starting line up will be Given, O'Shea, Dunne, St. Ledger, Ward, Duff, Whelan, Andrews, McGeady, Doyle, Keane? Or is McGeady not fully fit? Or does anyone think he'll stick with Kilbane over Ward?

If the above is the starting 11, with options like Hunt and Long from the bench, I'm extremely optimistic about getting the win on Friday.

My prediction is 2-0 Ireland, Keane and McGeady. Any other predictions?

I reckon that's the one. Heard earlier that Kilbane's fitness is being assessed today so it doesn't look good for his competive games streak does it, with the game tomorrow? Trap himself has declared McGeady fit and ready.

I'll go with 2-1. Duff and a late cameo from Long.

Crosby87
01/09/2011, 11:07 AM
Me head tells me 2-0 Slovakia Me Heart tells me 1-0 Slovakia.
Ahh that joke never gets old.

the bear
01/09/2011, 11:15 AM
ireland 3 - slovakia 1
keane, dunne, andrews

jbyrne
01/09/2011, 11:16 AM
sorry, cant see us winning by 2 goals. very little between these two teams and we dont generally perform great in competitive home matches. nil all for me i'm afraid

paul_oshea
01/09/2011, 11:34 AM
Yet you are making out Trap has done a great job a few months ago jbyrne.

geysir
01/09/2011, 11:42 AM
We can beat the team Slovakia had out in Zilina but I suspect they will be more of a force in Dublin.
So should we, better midfield with more options out wide, better CH pairing, full backs and Robbie should be sharper than he was that night.

geysir
01/09/2011, 11:51 AM

"That shouldn't be any trouble for the defense --- OH NO! (long painful pause) is it a penalty? oh no, that's unbelievable!"