PDA

View Full Version : Faroe Islands (A) - general (Tue 16/10/12)

pineapple stu
31/07/2011, 6:53 PM
Match thread. Here (http://foot.ie/threads/12209-Faroe-Islands-(Away)-Wed-8th-Jun-05)'s the thread from the 2005 game. If this game can match the craic of the '05 game, it'll be the trip of the campaign.

brendy_éire
24/07/2012, 3:02 PM
I don't think this game will be anywhere near as attended as the 2005 one. 900 odd Irish there, was it? Reckon we'll do well to have 100 this year.

Anyways, options for going over have been cut since 2005. You've got Atlantic Airways from Copenhagen, Billund or Bergen. Therefore, a connection or two will be necessary.
Ferry from Hirtshals, Denmark with Smyril Line is the other option. It's €120-ish each way.

With regards to the ferry, it leaves on Saturday (day after Germany match) at 1800 from Hirtshals. There's a Stansted-Århus flight on the Saturday that will suit.
The ferry company has been contacted and will delay departure for an hour to ensure we can make the sailing. Public transport from Århus airport to Hirtshals takes about 3.5 hours, and costs €30 odd.
I found another bus company that can do a 20 seater from Århus aiport to Hirtshals for 4462.50DKK, which would be work out at €30 per person if we fill it.
That's not too bad a price. Could anyone confirm they'd be interested in such a bus?

brendy_éire
24/07/2012, 3:03 PM
The Scottish FA produced a guide for their fans a few years back. It's a good read.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/SSC/ZCards/Toftir,%20Faroe%20Islands.pdf

theworm2345
31/07/2012, 2:45 AM
Was thinking of coming over for the this and the Germany match on the cash I saved that was meant for me to go to the Euros, thinking the Faroes would be an easy away trip. Are they really that inaccessible from Dublin though? I figured there would be a cheap RyanAir flight from Dublin or at least Belfast :( Some real good prices from Chicago to Dublin but that and the fact that I'm working could scupper the trip.

Junior
31/07/2012, 9:30 AM
Worm - This one and the Kazak game would be the most awkward/expensive away games to go to. Perhaps try the Sweden (Stockholm) / Austria (Dublin) double header in March-13?

There is a day trip charter for the Faroes from Dublin with Abbey for around €399 I believe - Would be difficult to do it cheaper independently and obviously more time would be required.

theworm2345
31/07/2012, 2:33 PM
Worm - This one and the Kazak game would be the most awkward/expensive away games to go to. Perhaps try the Sweden (Stockholm) / Austria (Dublin) double header in March-13?

There is a day trip charter for the Faroes from Dublin with Abbey for around €399 I believe - Would be difficult to do it cheaper independently and obviously more time would be required.
Ah OK, thanks. Yeah I was thinking about doing that as well. Some real cheap stuff to Stockholm on RyanAir (though don't they often cancel flights with no notice?) if I just wanted to go via Dublin, plus Sweden sounds like a great place for an away trip.

brendy_éire
31/07/2012, 8:44 PM
Some real cheap stuff to Stockholm on RyanAir (though don't they often cancel flights with no notice?) if I just wanted to go via Dublin, plus Sweden sounds like a great place for an away trip.

No, they never cancel flights. Stockholm will not be cheap to get to from Ireland for this match. You'd probably be best flying straight from Chicago. (Some great deals with KLM to Europe from Chicago, btw. Got a return flight from Dublin for €370 in September.)

As for the Faroes, it's expensive to get to. There's no way round it. Germany will be the cheapest for flights of this campaign.

brendy_éire
25/08/2012, 10:39 PM
Ticket applications for this match are now open. http://www.fai.ie/home/ticket-centre.html

ArdeeBhoy
26/08/2012, 12:38 PM
There were over 1k there in 2005 and 200-odd who were fogbound at various points.

Reckon around 200-300 minimum this time. More than Astana but most (eg. via Ybig) are flying via Denmark.

pineapple stu
26/08/2012, 7:30 PM
Would have said half that the last time, but then my memory is a bit hazy...