PDA

View Full Version : Germany (A) - general (Fri 11/10/13)

pineapple stu
31/07/2011, 6:41 PM
Don't think it's ever too early to start planning a new campaign of trips! Games won't be on till September 2012 of course; don't see any info on the fixtures meeting yet. Still, no harm getting the threads underway! I'll do the split info threads later (probably not till dates are confirmed).

Greenbod
07/09/2011, 11:01 AM
Anyone got any idea when the fixtures meeting will be held and venues decided. Hoping for Stuttgart again.

brendy_éire
07/09/2011, 12:35 PM
Meant to have been 30th August, but obviously that hasn't happened.

elroy
07/09/2011, 1:02 PM
Hopefully we'll be all busy looking at accomodation and flights to Poland/Ukraine before we need to look at Germany.

AidoP
18/11/2011, 11:12 AM
Hopefully we'll be all busy looking at accomodation and flights to Poland/Ukraine before we need to look at Germany.

Actually thats what happened the Germans during the 2006 world cup. They were too preoccupied with Germany doing well in the world cup that they didn't realise the tickets for the Germany v Ireland match in Stuttgart went on sale during the tournament so that was the reason the alert Irish fans managed to get loads of tickets in the "so called" home end (I say "so called" as there were more Irish there than Germans on the night).

pineapple stu
18/11/2011, 11:26 AM
Actually, foot.ie saved me a fortune on that trip! Got the info here that the game was in Stuttgart before it was put on the FAI site, so was able to book before flights started going up. :)

stojkovic
02/12/2011, 10:03 PM
Match rumoured to be scheduled for Koln.

Newryrep
02/12/2011, 10:33 PM
Actually thats what happened the Germans during the 2006 world cup. They were too preoccupied with Germany doing well in the world cup that they didn't realise the tickets for the Germany v Ireland match in Stuttgart went on sale during the tournament so that was the reason the alert Irish fans managed to get loads of tickets in the "so called" home end I say "so called" as there were more Irish there than Germans on the night.

not even close to being true, we were outnumbered at least 4 to 1

French Toasht
08/12/2011, 5:59 AM
Game is in Koln (Cologne).

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=511166

Really strange choice of venue, considering it's only 42,000 capacity. Strange when you consider they choose Munich for the Austria game (70,000 and the 2012 Champions League final venue) and Berlin for the Sweden game (77,000).

Considering we bring such large travelling support, the choice of venue is very odd.

mypost
18/02/2012, 9:23 PM
Austria is 2 hours from Munich, there will be huge interest in the game from both sets of fans.

As regards us, strange venue alright, but the size of our support will largely depend on the group situation. But the fact it's on a Friday night could restrict numbers, and the fact we have a home game just 4 days later.

BonnieShels
19/02/2012, 10:44 AM
Salzburg is 2 hours from Germany.

There's a whole lot of Austria after that.

elroy
20/02/2012, 9:18 AM
Looks like Dusseldorf direct from Dublin would be best flight option. Average price for out on a Thursday back on a Sunday is about 90 euros. Dusseldorf to Cologne is only 40kms.

Junior
21/02/2012, 10:58 AM
Looks like Dusseldorf direct from Dublin would be best flight option. Average price for out on a Thursday back on a Sunday is about 90 euros. Dusseldorf to Cologne is only 40kms.

I do that route for work ever now and again. About 100euros in a taxi a 30-40 journey. A good train link also from Dusseldorf Airport.

ArdeeBhoy
22/02/2012, 9:33 PM
Game is in Koln (Cologne).

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=511166

Really strange choice of venue, considering it's only 42,000 capacity. Strange when you consider they choose Munich for the Austria game (70,000 and the 2012 Champions League final venue) and Berlin for the Sweden game (77,000).

Considering we bring such large travelling support, the choice of venue is very odd.

That's exactly why. They don't want to be in a position where they have to accommodate 20k of our fans.

But on the plus side being who they are, they're unlikely to change the venue.

French Toasht
23/02/2012, 1:32 AM
Don't think its a case of trying to prevent accommodating us. As far as I can see the Germans are the best supporters in Europe. The Bundesliga is the best supported league in Europe. They would easily have sold out their 90% allocation of a 77,000 seater stadium.

I can understand their reasons for bigger stadiums for the Austria (historical rivalries) and Sweden (who they perceive to be their biggest threat) games but just puzzled by the 42,000 capacity for our match.

pineapple stu
23/02/2012, 10:08 AM
Maybe it's a hint that they'd rather we stayed at home and focused on repaying our debts to them.

IsMiseSean
24/02/2012, 9:58 PM
I was really hoping this game would be in Dortmund. I've always wanted to go to that stadium for a game

Nah Nah Nah Nah
25/02/2012, 9:56 AM
I was really hoping this game would be in Dortmund. I've always wanted to go to that stadium for a game

Is the whole magic of Dortmund for a Bundesliga game not that they terraces behind the goals but they turn into seats for European / International games?

Cabs88
25/02/2012, 10:40 AM

Same as that, always see it and it looks like a great place to be at a game. I love the stadiums in Germany, was in both the Olympic stadiums in Berlin and Munich and they really are remarkable arenas