PDA

View Full Version : Give this man our support!

lopez
01/07/2004, 11:22 AM
From The Guardian June 30 2004

Swiss hit back at British tabloids

Mike Leidig
Wednesday June 30, 2004

The Swiss media have rallied in defence of football referee Urs Meier by urging readers and listeners to ring up the Sun to tell them exactly what they think of the tabloid's campaign following England's defeat against Portugal.

DJ Roman Kilchsperger got the ball rolling on the Radio Energy station when he urged his listeners to ring up the Sun and give them a taste of their own medicine - and supplied them with the newspaper's number on air.

The Sun responded by publishing Kilchsperger's telephone numbers, including his mobile, and his email address - leaving the DJ bombarded with offensive calls and letters from England fans.

"I've had hundreds of emails and at least a 1,000 calls from England. Of course most of them begin with 'You ****ing *******' or some such variation. They also usually mention cuckoo clocks and cheese," he said.

But, he added, Swiss solidarity was enormous.

"I didn't know there were so many England haters here. Many write in with things like '**** the teapot' and 'Roman, stick it to them'."

Today other radio stations and newspapers also joined in the campaign against the Sun and urged Swiss people to join in the battle.

Swiss daily newspaper 20 Minutes wrote: "In case you want to join in the counter-offensive, here are the telephone numbers and the email address."

Kilchsperger, who has now become a national celebrity in Switzerland after leading the campaign, says the irony is that he actually likes the English - and even supported them in Euro 2004.

"I like them, and even supported England during the championship. I always watch the English league and have read Beckham's book. My liking for this country is big."

But the radio presenter says it is all getting a bit too much.

"I'd like to put an end to the whole story. Tomorrow there will be an interview on the show with Urs Meier and then that will be it," he told Swiss newspaper Blick.

ยท To contact the MediaGuardian newsdesk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 7239 9857

It's great that this man has taken on that a*sewipe The Scum - actually I wouldn't insult my a*se by using the rag on it. I've sent him an email of support aswell as all the more insulting internet spoofs I've received. Do the same if you want to stop bullyboy tabloids dictating future football results involving the tans.

email address: roman.kilchsperger@energyzueri.ch

Beavis
01/07/2004, 1:19 PM
From The Guardian June 30 2004

"I didn't know there were so many England haters here.
Suprised me too when we were in Basel.Couldn't actually understand what the Brits had done to them in history/more recently :confused:

sylvo
01/07/2004, 2:55 PM
One Urs Meier, there's only one Urs Meier. They have not stopped about this man, and now thank's to the scum newspaper the man's now getting death threat's. If the swiss are on the tan's axis of evil then on september 7th when i land in for the match then i;ll be saying merci, grazi or danka to our host's for herr Meier having the nerve to chalk off a tan goal due to the old king of the dancefloor fouling Portugal's goalie. :D
As for this dj fair play, good to see people standing up to them pr**k's in that sh**e rag, people in Ireland should be boycotting that rag as well after the hate campaign they waged against the Irish here.
There's only one Urs Meier.

liam88
01/07/2004, 9:30 PM
death threats over a football match! I know it's a big game but I mean come on! think of the poor blokes family!
Eejits! :confused:

Quack
01/07/2004, 9:36 PM
Fair play to Roman, giving the world's worst newspaper a dose of their own medicine. How typical of them to respond in this way. Classy guys, eh?

The Sheliban
01/07/2004, 10:40 PM
The ref blew the whistle; the “goal” would not stand,
And at once all the embers of fury were fanned.
No matter, as neutral supporters conceded,
That Ricardo in goal had been clearly impeded.
No matter that all across Europe that night,
The decision was seen and accepted as right.
Maybe their keepers get too much protection,
But the disallowed goal stood up well to inspection.

Except, quelle surprise, in the old Septic Isle,
Which soon was awash with a torrent of bile.
The tabloids, omnipotent judges and jury,
Sounded the clarion call of sheer fury,
And led the attacks on the poor Swiss official,
By claiming that he’d been adjudged prejudicial.
(Although, that contentious decision aside,
He took quite a difficult game in his stride)
And stooping to new depths, the venomous press
Did publish the referee’s e-mail address,
Inciting a barrage of hate-fuelled abuse,
That turned the official into a recluse.

Did he deserve vicious vilification,
Terrorised by all the dregs of one nation?
Incited by laughing young men with no morals
Who spread their vile poison and rest on their laurels,
Whose only decisive and questioning thought
Is how to increase column inches of sport.
And so they have dragged his good name through the dirt,
Not caring if he or his family are hurt,
And the cool light of day simply cannot placate
Xenophobia brimming with self-righteous hate.

For committing offences, a player can be banned,
Punished whenever things get out of hand.
A footballing lout with a havoc-strewn trail
Can be fined or deported or end up in jail.
But it’s perfectly clear that there is no redress
When an innocent man is attacked by the press.
When the hackles are raised, there is really no stopping
Those tousle-haired hooligans laughing in Wapping.
By turning a good man into a pariah,
Once more, English football is dragged through the mire.

lopez
02/07/2004, 8:33 AM
The ref blew the whistle; the “goal” would not stand...William Butler, so good to see you reincarnated...and as an Irishman again!!

Duncan Gardner
02/07/2004, 9:03 AM
I phoned the number in the Brit papers and got through to Urs's shop. He did me a deal on a new microwave with free delivery :)

sylvo
02/07/2004, 10:27 AM
Sheliban fair play, Seamus heaney had better move over, liked it dude. :D

sylvo
02/07/2004, 10:29 AM
death threats over a football match! I know it's a big game but I mean come on! think of the poor blokes family!
Eejits! :confused:

Liam i nearly forgot son, 5-1 5-1 5-1 5-1 ;)

Duncan Gardner
02/07/2004, 11:36 AM
Mmmm roesti with fondue. Time for lunch, yodel-ei :)