PDA

View Full Version : Tickets for Paris....

Pages : [1] 2

onenilgameover
01/07/2004, 3:44 AM
Doe's anyone know the dates when tickets will become availible to buy in France for the Ireland game. I am not on the block booking list so will probably not have the chance to get them through the FAI. I do have a few friends living over there who could pick up tickets. Can't imagine missin this one. I know its a long shot but maybe someone has the same idea..............

gspain
01/07/2004, 10:00 AM
you wiull have no problem getting tickets if your friends in France are willing to buy them

See

http://www.fff.fr/billet/index.shtml

and follow billetterie

http://www.ticketnet.fr

The French have no block booking system or anything like that so they have to go on public sale - probably restricted to France only but also worth trying to get a French person here to ring and see if tickets cna be posted to a Dublin address.

lopez
01/07/2004, 12:13 PM
you wiull have no problem getting tickets if your friends in France are willing to buy them ...As ever, you're a genius Gary. Good work!

One Brian Kerr
01/07/2004, 2:10 PM
Just e-mailed this crowd and they said that tickets can be sent to ireland/england at a cost of €10, just need to find out when they go on sale now.

eirebhoy
01/07/2004, 2:54 PM
Its amazing that we have a population of 4 million yet we'd probably fill Croke Park for any competitive match. France has a population of around 60 million and they find it hard to fill the Stade the France for most matches.

gspain
01/07/2004, 2:57 PM
Post to Ireland - even better. €10 is a small price to pay - especially if it is per transaction - bit dear if it's per ticket.

Surely the French will have to give us 15,000-20,000 tickets now. Much simpler to keep us all together. Surely the F.A.I. will also request this many................

Anyway looks like everyone that wants to see the game will get a ticket provided you do the legwork -

cclinton
01/07/2004, 3:15 PM
"they find it hard to fill the Stade the France for most matches."

Are you sure about that? or, is this a thought based on what seems like a open purchase policy. I don't believe they find it hard to sell out their games. Anyone else know for sure?

eirebhoy
01/07/2004, 3:27 PM
There was 40,000 empty seats for the match against Malta, 20,000 empty for the Cyprus game, 24,000 empty for the Isreal game, there was a fair amount at the Slovenia match but it still wasn't sold out. Fair enough, they aren't the most attractive opposition but for a population 15 times greater than us they should be queuing for tickets.

gspain
01/07/2004, 3:33 PM
Sample attendances below - interestingly Israel 57,000 Cyprus 45,000 Sept & Oct last year in the Euro2004 qulaifiers. Brazil sold out for a recent friendly but lots of tickets available - I know 2 guys from dublin who travelled and got tickets no bother. Malta in the last campaign was even moved out of Paris.

Quite a few sellouts as well.

Now don't get me wrong - this game will definitely sellout. The attendance will be 78,000-80,000 however if you are going and ar eon the ball you will get tickets - watch for public sale - great if they'll post to IRL/UK if not then need a french contact.

Rugby game last Feb was readily available also.

Rememebr we're not exactly Brazil either so hardly that big a draw in France.

Match 634] 22 June 2003 (FIFA Confederations Cup 2003 – Group A)
FRANCE – NEW-ZEALAND 5-0 (2-0)
Referee: Masoud Moradi (Iran)
Crowd: 36.842, Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France

[Match 635] 26 June 2003 (FIFA Confederations Cup 2003 – Semifinal)
FRANCE – TURKEY 3-2 (3-1)
Referee: Jorge Larrionda Pietrafiesa (Uruguay)
Crowd: 41.195, Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France

[Match 636] 29 June 2003 (FIFA Confederations Cup 2003 – Final)
FRANCE – CAMEROON 1-0 (0-0;0-0) after golden goal
Referee: Valentin Ivanov (Russia)
Crowd: 51.985, Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France

[Match 638] 6 September 2003 (European Championship qualifying – Group 1)
FRANCE – CYPRUS 5-0 (3-0)
Referee: Leslie Irvine (Northern Ireland)
Crowd: 45.000, Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France

[Match 640] 11 October 2003 (European Championship qualifying – Group 1)
FRANCE – ISRAEL 3-0 (3-0)
Referee: Cosimo-Giancarlo Bolognino (Italy)
Crowd: 57.009, Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France

cclinton
01/07/2004, 3:33 PM
I agree that's not impressive. However, the few times I've been there, against better competition, it was not easy to even get tkts outside.

gspain
01/07/2004, 3:34 PM
BTW I'm not saying wait until you get there - do the legwork now and book your tickets when they go on public sale.

However I would expect that tickets will be available albeit at black market prices in October.

Edgey
01/07/2004, 5:13 PM
On this website aswell lads if you open an account (costs nothing just means registering) they will send you an email when the date of public sale is announced
http://www.ticketnet.fr

lopez
01/07/2004, 7:39 PM
I thought I remember reading the Slovenia game was in the 70K, but otherwise I don't think they've sold out at SF. France's atrocious showing - by their standards - will blunt the interest from the suits and glory hunters. Good news anyway after Basel when not even a ticket tout could get hold of a ticket.

GalwayFrancis
01/07/2004, 8:43 PM
just looked at :::::
http://www.ticketnet.fr/shop/fr/manif.asp?IdManif=64807&idtier=157039

what part of the group will the irish be getting???????

gspain
02/07/2004, 9:30 AM
France have sold out quite a few at Stade de France and this game will sellout but not immediately hence there will be an opportunity to purchase tickets. I can't believe the French will rush out and buy them anyway

BTW here is another tip - France will hardly bring 3,000 fans to Dublin for the game here. An early application for tickets by a mate in France or a French colleague in UK/Ireland might also do the trick. A Turkish colleague got loads of tickets here for people for our playoff in 99.

Like that pint Davros but I don't know you although will probably recognize the face. I'll be at the U21 game too so maybe easier to meet there as we'll have 20,000 in Paris.

lopez
05/07/2004, 12:36 PM
Two points.

Gary: Do you know where the under-21 game is going to be played?

And two: Tickets from the FFF site can be picked up in Virgin stores within france, so there is no need to worry about tickets being sent abroad. I did this a couple of years ago with another ticket company which sells French international tickets, called FNAC. I bought a ticket for Lille v Deportivo when they were in the same group as Man Ure and picked up the ticket from a Virgin Megastore in Lille, no questions asked.

Below is the link for FNAC's tickets for the Israel game.

FNAC: France - Israel (http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/show.asp?SHID=114673&SubjectId=1803900&SID=1CAA5DCB%2D45FF%2D3EA9%2DD637%2D570AC482677E&UID=18ADCC310%2DA979%2D68F5%2DA32A%2D99ABFAFBA374&AID=&Origin=fnac%5Fyahoo%5Fhome&TTL=060720041333&RNID=%2D7&NID=1803900)

gspain
05/07/2004, 1:48 PM
No venue yet for U21 game but apparently they play home games at Clermont-Ferrand near Lyon which is over the 100KM but presumably they'll agree to come to Cork then or possibly Galway so we'll probably go there.

It's on the TGV and approx €100 - info posted before - here I think by somebody else. €100 to watch the U21s - mad I know.

I'll probably get tickets from the F.A.I. so won't be booking french ones but spread the word and hopefully all the fans will be ok this time round. I'll sit with the suits and explain we're th eones in white and that Brian O'Driscoll is injured. :D

Two points.

Gary: Do you know where the under-21 game is going to be played?

And two: Tickets from the FFF site can be picked up in Virgin stores within france, so there is no need to worry about tickets being sent abroad. I did this a couple of years ago with another ticket company which sells French international tickets, called FNAC. I bought a ticket for Lille v Deportivo when they were in the same group as Man Ure and picked up the ticket from a Virgin Megastore in Lille, no questions asked.

Below is the link for FNAC's tickets for the Israel game.

FNAC: France - Israel (http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/show.asp?SHID=114673&SubjectId=1803900&SID=1CAA5DCB%2D45FF%2D3EA9%2DD637%2D570AC482677E&UID=18ADCC310%2DA979%2D68F5%2DA32A%2D99ABFAFBA374&AID=&Origin=fnac%5Fyahoo%5Fhome&TTL=060720041333&RNID=%2D7&NID=1803900)

lopez
05/07/2004, 1:53 PM
No venue yet for U21 game but apparently they play home games at Clermont-Ferrand near Lyon which is over the 100KM but presumably they'll agree to come to Cork then or possibly Galway so we'll probably go there.Been doing a bit of searching through the FFF site and found the venue. Apparently its Troyes which is 1h30 mins from Paris Est station. I believe Espoirs is the name the French give to the U21 team. Whatever, 'les espoirs' have got a game against us on 8 October. Check out http://www.fff.fr/selections/espoirs/998.shtml.

Anyway no suits likely at the U21 game so you can talk football.

gspain
05/07/2004, 2:43 PM
Great stuff I'll be there. Troyes is not too bad.

slow2anger
06/07/2004, 8:54 AM
Been doing a bit of searching through the FFF site and found the venue. Apparently its Troyes which is 1h30 mins from Paris Est station. I believe Espoirs is the name the French give to the U21 team. Whatever, 'les espoirs' have got a game against us on 8 October. Check out http://www.fff.fr/selections/espoirs/998.shtml.

Nice work Senor L. Troyes sounds good - very theatrical. Perhaps the 5am Eurostar is required!!

sylvo
06/07/2004, 10:44 AM
Nice work Senor L. Troyes sounds good - very theatrical. Perhaps the 5am Eurostar is required!!

An early start if going to Troyes will proberly be needed, but S2A, do you think the Boston Celtics jacketed one will be there for a 5am start, :cool:, he'll proberly still be partying on down along Kilburn high road @ that time. :eek:

lopez
06/07/2004, 11:12 AM
An early start if going to Troyes will proberly be needed, but S2A, do you think the Boston Celtics jacketed one will be there for a 5am start, :cool:, he'll proberly still be partying on down along Kilburn high road @ that time. :eek:Partying down the steps at Warren Street tube station before partying on into the A&E of UCH, more like it.

S2A, Troyes is bang smack in the Champers region so it's Boly & Stolies all round, ta!

Sylvo, how's da head after all that Ouzo on Sunday night with da homies?

sylvo
06/07/2004, 5:15 PM
Have to say i was fine next morning stood @ the top of the hill and watched all the partying, even ma hood was on the London tonight new's showing the scene's @ the final whistle.
Was out in Palmers Green watching the Cavan v Derry game and the Leinster hurling final, when load's of the Greek community came in to the pub to get their place in front of the big screen early for the final. They all got big into the hurling and then when it showed the delayed transmission of the Cavan v Derry game they all supported Cavan because of the Cavan fan's flying Greek flag's behind the goal. Shame in extra time Cavan were'nt able to pick up on their new Hellenic support. :( :( :mad:

slow2anger
07/07/2004, 8:54 AM
S2A, Troyes is bang smack in the Champers region so it's Boly & Stolies all round, ta!
Fantastic area! Champagne, women and song and an U-21 game. Will be alot better than Paris.

Tipp Townie
13/07/2004, 2:15 PM
Back to the big match in Paris- i'm getting a bit confused lads, can you help?

The FAI site has got the application details for tickets now. I'm gonna stick my name on the list anyway, but what d'yer reckon my chances of getting tickets from them are? The other option that people have mentioned is applying via the French- but at what point should i do this? Cant really afford to apply to both unless necessary, and also of course would rather be in with all the Green Army, but at least we'd be there... Whats everyone elses tactics? :confused:

Btw, as many of yous on here suggested, my trip to Amsterdam for the friendly was feckin BRILLIANT and i have now completely got the bug for following our lads all over Europe. But can it get any better than a friendly in Holland? I mean, the French arent as much fun are they?..

Paulie
13/07/2004, 2:30 PM
While Holland was great craic friendlies just are not the same as the real thing. All the extra stuff is great but the reason we go on these trips is to see and support Ireland and the tension you feel before the competitive games lets you know it's the real deal.

Tipp Townie
13/07/2004, 2:39 PM
I know what you mean. All i meant was the atmosphere before hand and the fact that we didnt have anything to lose as it were, and that the Dutch were well up for the craic too- despite our reknowned good relationship with them, they wouldnt be the same in a 'big' match would they? Were you there in 2000? What was it like?

Paulie
13/07/2004, 3:40 PM
Yeah I was at the game in 2000. The Dutch fans are decent enough and we've played them a number of times over the past 20 years so the two sets of fans are used to each other. I just remember not being able to believe it when Keane scored as in the previous campaign in the two big away games against Croatia and Yugoslavia we barely had a shot on target so the goal was a bit unexpected...ah memories. It was a great trip but we went a bit overboard and stayed for 4 nights. 4 nights in Amsterdam, as I'm sure you can appreciate, can take it out of you.

Tipp Townie
13/07/2004, 3:47 PM
...ah memories. It was a great trip but we went a bit overboard and stayed for 4 nights. 4 nights in Amsterdam, as I'm sure you can appreciate, can take it out of you.

Ha ha! I can imagine. Could you ever live there?! I mean, me and my mates all agreed that we probably wouldnt survive beyond the first week! :p

Back to the original topic though, and seem as though you're the only one talking to me Paulie, do you have any tips for tickets for the game in Paris?

Paulie
13/07/2004, 4:19 PM
I couldn't live in Amsterdam. Sure Lansdowne is miles away!

So far as tickets for Paris are concerned I'm trying to get get tickets from every source possible. I'm a blockbooker so I've sent in an application. Even you are not a block-booker send in an application. Send one in when the time comes to the French FA as well. In the unlikely event of you getting more than you need you will have no problem selling them on.

Condex
13/07/2004, 4:22 PM
The FAI site has got the application details for tickets now. I'm gonna stick my name on the list anyway, but what d'yer reckon my chances of getting tickets from them are?

I think everyone who applies to the FAI will get tickets
The stadium is very big and can't see a huge amount of French fans clambering to see their team after their egfforts in the EC.

Tipp Townie
13/07/2004, 5:17 PM
I think everyone who applies to the FAI will get tickets
The stadium is very big and can't see a huge amount of French fans clambering to see their team after their egfforts in the EC.

Yeah, their eggforts sucked! :p

Cheers for the tips lads

sylvo
13/07/2004, 8:42 PM
Ha ha! I can imagine. Could you ever live there?! I mean, me and my mates all agreed that we probably wouldnt survive beyond the first week! :p

Back to the original topic though, and seem as though you're the only one talking to me Paulie, do you have any tips for tickets for the game in Paris?

Just keep an eye on the link's on the for fan's thread about ticket's, heard the other day from two people that you now don't need an address in France to get ticket's for the home section's, but don't quote us on that.

Pat O' Banton
13/07/2004, 8:54 PM
Just keep an eye on the link's on the for fan's thread about ticket's, heard the other day from two people that you now don't need an address in France to get ticket's for the home section's, but don't quote us on that.

As I have bored you rigid about in the past, was in the Stadium two years ago for France v Russia, they had no probs selling me a ticket for an English address for that.
The thing was when I phoned to get the ticket they were just about to play Scotland and presumed that that was the game that I wanted tickets for (me a Scot? how insulting :D ) seemed that they would have had no prbs selling me a ticket for the French section for this game.
So would be fairly optistic about them selling tickets to Ireland fans.

lopez
13/07/2004, 9:09 PM
Just keep an eye on the link's on the for fan's thread about ticket's, heard the other day from two people that you now don't need an address in France to get ticket's for the home section's, but don't quote us on that.I've mentioned this before but anyway, FNAC.com - one of the FFF's ticket sellers - doesn't worry about foreign addresses. I bought a ticket for Lille v Depor through them and you collect the ticket from a designated outlet. As the game is in Paris, no problemo, as FNAC should have a couple of outlets there at least.

Tipp Townie
14/07/2004, 1:59 PM

Cheers Sylvo, and everyone else. Was being a bit of a muppet and forgot that there was another thread on the France game already.

Paris here we come.....

sylvo
14/07/2004, 11:16 PM
As I have bored you rigid about in the past, was in the Stadium two years ago for France v Russia, they had no probs selling me a ticket for an English address for that.
The thing was when I phoned to get the ticket they were just about to play Scotland and presumed that that was the game that I wanted tickets for (me a Scot? how insulting :D ) seemed that they would have had no prbs selling me a ticket for the French section for this game.
So would be fairly optistic about them selling tickets to Ireland fans.

Huh you and yer fancy trip's round europe ;) you can go as a independent observer to match's in Paris's but yer still can't get over and see yer team when they come to Newbridge to play us at the Stadio Via Stazione, ;) bad form.

Pat O' Banton
15/07/2004, 11:47 AM
Huh you and yer fancy trip's round europe ;) you can go as a independent observer to match's in Paris's but yer still can't get over and see yer team when they come to Newbridge to play us at the Stadio Via Stazione, ;) bad form.

Don't you worry I'll be seen hanging around Newbridge station in my burberry baseball cap and Stone Island jacket soon enough. Just hope that the Guards don't get the wrong idea when I'm screaming
'WHO WANTS SOME!!!!!!!!'
cause as you and I well know I'll simply be offering around my carry out :)

sylvo
15/07/2004, 8:25 PM
Hey well I hope you'll be bringing that mobile brewry to Troyes, you must be the only offy owner that don't make a profit. :D

Paulie
16/07/2004, 1:53 PM
What on earth are you sprouting about? This thread was set up to talk about tickets for the game in Paris.

Pot.....kettle......black.

Bowsy
16/07/2004, 2:11 PM
Then we have the likes of that fat ******* Jack Boothman(derives from British middle-class) sending letters to all the county boards saying that the likes of Damien Duff and Brian O' Driscoll are not Irish enough to play in a stadium their people built.

I'm cofused. Is he suggesting the sport you play dictates your Irishness? I played Gaelic football and Soccer growing up but was never brave/fool hardy/had a death/mentally unbalanced enough to join the local psychopaths for a game of hurling. Where does this leave me on the Irishnes-o-meter?

Pat O' Banton
16/07/2004, 4:45 PM
So Davros, when you understand things properly, why don't you start a thread on such contentious issues. Otherwise, stay in Britain and stop talking rubbish.

:confused: Can you please explain this statement?

Do you think that over here we don't have access to the internet, Irish newspapers, Irish radio or even maybe visit Ireland so that we can form our own opinions on such matters. :rolleyes:

Before you even start to have a go here, I think that hurling and Gaelic Football are magnificent sports, but they have administration that leaves alot to be desired for the reasons that you outline above.

But then again most of the people on this board would support either the Irish national team or an eL side and I wonder how many of these people would be delighted with the way that football is run in Ireland.

I know that I shouldn't rise to the bait but...

Oh PS. I think you may find that the people of Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal may wonder exactly who their taxes are paid to.

Plastic Paddy
16/07/2004, 6:34 PM
Then we have the likes of that fat ******* Jack Boothman(derives from British middle-class) sending letters to all the county boards

Pray tell what exactly does Boothman's long-distant ethnic origin have to do with anything? Chances are, due to the Public Records Office fire during the Civil War that you won't be sure of yours, either. You're out of line invoking this.

Otherwise, stay in Britain and stop talking rubbish.

Oh dear, there goes your credibility. It seems to bother you that from my "cross-channel" office I spend too much time on here (wtf this has to do with you anyway, I just don't know), and now you're telling Davros this? Son, you need some stress relief. I prescribe a top-shelf mag and a packet of Handy Andies. Don't come back until you've cleaned yourself up and chilled out a bit.

I know that I shouldn't rise to the bait but...

Watch yourself Pat. Our own snooper par excellence will report you to the Department of Work and Pensions next for malingering on here when you should be gainfully employed at your place of work. ;) :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: PP

lopez
16/07/2004, 7:01 PM
Pray tell what exactly does Boothman's long-distant ethnic origin have to do with anything...Son, you need some stress relief. I prescribe a top-shelf mag and a packet of Handy Andies. Don't come back until you've cleaned yourself up and chilled out a bit...Another top class put down, PP. Is it cos he's from Longford or am I being unfair to Longfordians and this bloke is just an eejit plain and simple? While I agree with a lot of his vitriol regarding the Grab All Association, I think he's been splitting the sphincters of grazing ewes too much to be taken seriously. As for us from over the water, now get used to it mate. You've had two presidents and one recent CoS of the Rah from abroad. It's a little thing they didn't teach you at school called emigration - not that it looks like you ever bothered with any of that sort o' thing. Ask Daddy about it...or Uncle, seeing that he's probably the same bloke. :D

What on earth are you sprouting about? I was going to ask you, yer muppet, exactly the same question with that thread about PP being unemployed, except that el caudillo had the good sense to sling it in the rubbish bin. FFS, where did we pick you up from? :rolleyes:

lopez
16/07/2004, 10:00 PM
And for those who feel that I'm being unfair to Jack Boothman by suggesting he's a Brit, TOUGH! He is a Tan.Are the following tans too? Theobald Wolfe tone (Died for Ireland), Robert Emmet, Oscar Wilde, Constance Gore-Booth (Woman spared execution fighting for Ireland, Erskine Childers (Executed by the FS), Roger Casement (Executed for bringing in guns to gain Ireland's independence), Sam Maguire, WB Yeats.

I on the other hand am 100% Irish.How? Because you were born there and so were your parents, etc? So was the case with Boothman. You can't prove that your 100% 'Irish' - in the way that you mean which is purely on racial grounds - anymore than you or I can prove we're 100% white. Where has Boothman indicated that he is a tan? Passport? English parents? Regular chum of the German Lady? Because he has an English name and doesn't take the port and poppadoms at the church you go to, more like it! F*ck off and get a life!

sylvo
16/07/2004, 11:10 PM
All I can say is I am right on the GAA. If Irish fans want to slag the GAA, they are correct to do so. I have no problem with any fans who happen to live in England. It's ironic because when the real Irish supporters go looking for tickets this autumn/winter they won't get any. Meanwhile, the monument which the taxpayers built on Jones' Road will remain idle. Disgraceful. As for the reference to Plastic Paddy's regular use of this site, I was merely pointing to the valuable contribution he makes to this site!! Well done PP! And for those who feel that I'm being unfair to Jack Boothman by suggesting he's a Brit, TOUGH! He is a Tan. I on the other hand am 100% Irish. And before any Irish fans in England rise up in arms, I have the height of respect for ye supporting Ireland. That's what we need, not fat fcuks like Boothman. Boothman wouldn't be the most Irish of names. Then again, I'd say he must have achieved a lot as a GAA player. He must have won 10 All-Ireland medals with Carlow by the way he carries on!!

Rise up my arm's, bud no chance their to busy clinging onto my side's stopping them from spiltting, the respect bit, come on Pat it's just as much our team, the England team is more alien to us then it is to a hell of a lot of people at home.
As for mr Boothman well that kind of talk should be left for the dark age's, just like our friend's from OWM who go walking down the middle of the road instead of using the pavement and call that culture. Pat after all the holy aposolcic Catholic church done wonder's for Ireland for so many decade's so who give's a toss about what religon he is, I'm glad that the day's of J C McQuaid are a far off memory. Pat as for this he's a tan and that Irish name's bit cope on, my mother's side of the family don't have an Irish name and shock horror my great grandfather was a member of the church of Ireland from Kerry, so I guess he were'nt Irish then like Jack Boothman. I'm not a fan of the people who run the GAA also, but Ireland has grown up regarding being told what to do by the men in black and i ain't talking about ref's or Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones so grow up with it, leave all that Catholic's and Protestant sh**e out of it, Jack Boothman's just as much Irish as any of the rest of us are.The Country would be better off if we were all Hari Krichna's anyway. :)

Closed Account 2
17/07/2004, 12:05 AM
As for those Irish fans who sing "No surrender to the GAA", fair play to them. The GAA are a crowd of bigots and deserve nothing better than to be put in their place. The c***s had the audacity to take taxpayers money and use it to built a stadium. Recent surveys suggest that over 80% of Irish taxpayers want Croker open to soccer and rugby. Despite this, the GAA p****s refuse to let "foreign games" into Croker. However, they don't mind letting in American football and boxing, Tina Turner or Garth Brooks. The GAA is rotten to the core with corrupt *******. There was a time that they were glad to use Wembley Stadium. They recently used a baseball ground in America for an all-stars match. Double standars I feel. Then we have the likes of that fat ******* Jack Boothman(derives from British middle-class) sending letters to all the county boards saying that the likes of Damien Duff and Brian O' Driscoll are not Irish enough to play in a stadium their people built. As for the Ulster counties, they seem to think they are entitled to a say on a stadium which their people didn't pay tax towards. The GAA are simply a crowd of c***s. They deserve every bit of abuse they get.

I agree with your statements on the GAA. I dont like them one bit, but their sports are probably on the wane anyway. Sure it might not have got to the smaller crowd stage yet but it is no longer the top dog of Irish sport. I'd hazard a guess that more Irish kids who are good at sport want to be footballers than they did say 50 or even 20 years ago. Players like the Duffer and Robbie are superstars not just in Ireland but all across Europe. Old players like Quinney, Bonner and Aldrige have remained household names, and Jack Charlton, who won the world cup for E*****d is the number-one sporting hero in the country. The best thing to do is vote with your feet... if we dont like the GAA then we shouldn't endorse (go to or watch) their events, go to international (inc. u21s) or Irish league matches instead. Their "we are the élite" attitude stinks and it should be made clear that most people dont appriciate it. Then it will become totally clear that football is number 1! - hopefully we'll get more youth funding and maybe we can force the GAA to let us play there or build a better stadium (be it an improved LR or just somewhere totally new).

Pat O' Banton
17/07/2004, 9:49 AM
And for those who feel that I'm being unfair to Jack Boothman by suggesting he's a Brit, TOUGH! He is a Tan. I on the other hand am 100% Irish.

Ahh... so now I see Jack Bootham can't rate how Irish people are but you can :rolleyes:

Plastic Paddy
17/07/2004, 10:16 AM
Yes indeed Pat. I'm allowed to but fcuk him if he thinks he has a right to tell players representing this country that they are less deserving of a taxpayers stadium than a mercenary like himself.

But according to your profile you're a student. Not a taxpayer at all, in fact. Forgive my pedantry, but by your logic, shouldn't you wait before the Revenue Commissioners have reason to come looking for you until you sling the proverbial at Boothman?

Just curious, like. :rolleyes:

:ball: PP

Plastic Paddy
17/07/2004, 10:37 AM
That's a very good point Plastic Paddy. I am a student but when I'm finished I will be earning major dosh roysh, and we're talking major here.

Such self-confidence. I wish you luck.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be paying tax for the rest of my life. Unlike you, I will be paying it in this country. That perhaps reflects my greater interest in how that tax is spent. Like many, I despise money going towards the GAA.

Well, you'll know that with greater fiscal centralisation in the EU, it doesn't matter quite as much where we pay our taxes as they can now be spent anywhere from Limerick to Limassol and Madrid to Magdeburg. I take your point though. I'm not keen on stumping up money to underwrite the costs of the English FA's great white elephant either.

:) PP