PDA

View Full Version : And sligo's new manager is ............

Terry
29/06/2004, 12:09 PM
.....Mickie Feeney. Just till the end of this season anyway. Can anybody give a bit of history on his achievements as I don't know anything about the man. :confused:

A face
29/06/2004, 9:24 PM
Yeah ... any info would be good !!

Daxion
11/07/2004, 7:48 PM
Sligo’s Mickey Feeney, who has gleaned considerable success as a coach at underage level, was last week appointed as Sligo Rovers’ caretaker manager for the remainder of the 2004 campaign. The former Sligo Rovers player spoke about the challenge that awaits. Liam Maloney reports.

That Mickey Feeney should be appointed manager of Sligo Rovers, albeit in a caretaker capacity, was somehow inevitable.
Having wrought considerable success with underage teams, most notably the Sligo-Leitrim Youth & Schoolboys League U-16 representative side, who memorably swooped for last July’s Holland Cup, Feeney’s obvious progression was to the Senior managerial post at the Showgrounds.
Recent upheaval – the tenure of Don O’Riordan, a former Galway United boss, came to a disappointing end – saw the club seeking their eighth manager since the glorious reign of ex-Glasgow Celtic player Willie McStay, whose exceptional treble-winning feat of 10 years ago has yet to be emulated.
When Leo Tierney, Rovers’ assistant-manager last season, was unable to be freed from his commitments with the Mayo FA, Sligo Rovers immediately turned to Mickey Feeney, already part of the club’s set-up as manager of the skilful U-16 and U-18 sides.
Sligo town native Feeney, once a player with Rovers in the 1980s, accepted the offer.
The circumstances which surrounded his appointment – Don O’Riordan’s departure – were, according to the astute coach, understandable.
“That’s football in general,” commented Feeney, now in his early 40s, who was speaking prior to his first game in charge, last Saturday’s eircom League First Division home clash with Finn Harps.
“Any manager that comes into any club is usually coming in when the team isn’t doing well. I don’t think there has been a club who have gotten rid of their manager when they are doing well.”
The qualified coach, who takes charge of the Sligo-Leitrim Youth & Schoolboys U-16 representative panel at this week’s Italy Cup, acknowledges that being manager of Sligo Rovers brings with it enhanced pressure.
But Feeney, who worked alongside Rovers’ managers such as Tommy Cassidy and the partnership of David Pugh and Jim McInally, refuses to be daunted.
“Being a ‘local’ there is no bigger honour than to be responsible for your home town team.”
“I have been working with Youth teams for 12 or 13 years now. You always want to test yourself and challenge yourself. When this opportunity came along I thought about it – but then I said to myself that I couldn’t refuse something like this.”
“I wouldn’t fear anything. I believe that I have the players, I believe in my own ability and I believe that the [Sligo Rovers] committee is working very hard for the betterment of the club.”
“Hopefully we will see that a difference has been made at the end of the season.”
Having inherited the aspects – both positive and negative – of the Don O’Riordan era (the Dubliner had spent almost three barren years at the helm), Feeney should be afforded a certain amount of latitude.
The manager, who has guided Summerhill College to two All-Ireland finals, won’t use the flaws or frills of the previous management as an escape hatch.
“There are no excuses in football. You have to deal with what you have. I have different ideas than probably what Don [O’Riordan] had and every other manager would be the same.”
“I will gradually implement my ideas into it [the job]. You can’t do everything overnight but gradually I hope to see those ideas implemented.”
“Being a manager, you always judge yourself on your own results and the performance of your team. I would be the type of person that if it wasn’t working out for me then I would put my hand up and say ‘that is it’.”
Prior to the home game against north-west rivals Finn Harps, whose 5-1 eircom League Cup quarter-final thrashing of Sligo Rovers helped spark the demise of Don O’Riordan, Rovers sat 12 points off Bray Wanderers, the then eircom League First Division leaders.
The hefty League Cup defeat to Finn Harps aside, Rovers had already lost six of their 15 eircom League First Division games prior to Feeney being installed as manager.
Feeney, though, is confident that promotion to the Premier Division, the unfulfilled objective of his predecessor, can be attained.
Having spent his initial days at the helm talking on an individual basis to the players, among them experienced team captain Gerry Carr, Feeney is pleased with the enthusiasm shown for the remainder of the season.
The two games during which Mayo’s Leo Tierney was in charge, when Rovers drew 0-0 and 2-2 with Bray Wanderers and Athlone Town respectively, also encouraged the new manager.
“I think that a lot of positives have come out of the last two games especially. From talking to a number of the players – I believe there is a good feeling in the club.”
“In the last two games [against Bray Wanderers and Athlone Town] the teams got two draws but I was very encouraged by the spirit that they showed against Bray, which was the game that I watched here [the Showgrounds].”
With calibre players such as midfielder Stephen O’Donnell – the team’s leading scorer is currently injured – and striker Paul McTiernan available, Rovers have, with the benefit of consistent results, the ingredients for a prosperous season.
“There are a lot of quality players in the squad,” Feeney observed. “It is just a case of getting all of them out on the pitch and achieving a few results. After that, who knows?”
“You can talk about injuries and the like, but the squad should be strong enough in depth. I think that we have that strength in depth so there should be adequate cover for whoever is missing.”
Although he is aware of the talented teenagers who underpin the club’s Youth teams – the tremendous prospects include Gary Curran, Colin Gaule and Mikey Creane – Feeney is loathe to employing these players until they are much older.
“I wouldn’t be one to throw a young player into a situation that would be too big for him. I would be the judge of that and I think I would be a very good judge of that.”
“There are potentially some excellent [young] players at the club and when the environment is right to bring them in they will be brought in.”
Anyone who has savoured the performances of teams that Feeney has worked with – either Sligo-Leitrim or Summerhill College – will appreciate the attractive playing style that he advocates.
“I want to see the ball down on the ground being passed. Hopefully we have the players to do that. Over the next few weeks I will be the judge of whether the players can adjust to that and show that it is the way forward in the First Division.”
“Sometimes if you are in danger at the back it [the ball] has to go long.”
“It is down to the players but I am hoping to implement the way I want them to play.”
“When you put 11 players out on the pitch you expect them to give 100 per cent. Any player should not expect to be ‘carried’ by the team. As long as each player gives 100 per cent and pulls their weight then there can’t be complaints from anybody.”
While promotion to the top flight remains the ultimate objective, Feeney, who has received numerous calls from well-wishers since his appointment, cherishes a personal target. He doesn’t just want to be ‘caretaker’ manager of Sligo Rovers. He wants to be THE manager.
“It will all relate to results. Any manager should be judged on his results. Hopefully if I do well I would like to be considered for the position at the end of the year.”
Other managers have talked the talk; Feeney intends to walk the walk.
Forget the ‘caretaker’ label. There is a team – one beloved by thousands – to be
managed and Feeney will do his damnedest to do just that.
© Sligo Weekender