PDA

View Full Version : Statues at LOI grounds

paudie
19/07/2011, 10:29 PM
There was an article in last months "When Saturday Comes" about the large number of player statues that have been erected at English football grounds over the last 20 years.

I always thought it would be a great idea to have a statue of a player at Turners Cross (Dave Barry would be my choice).

Has any club or fan group seriously looked into erecting a statue of a major figure in their clubs history?

For example would Finn Harps consider a Brendan Bradley statue as part of their new stadium?

A face
19/07/2011, 11:03 PM
I dunno would you put up a statue when someone is still alive? Maybe i'm wrong but thats what i would have thought. It would be a great tribute to any player who served a club well but you'd really want to get it right before it was put up .... and select a player who would please all fans (if he was that good then it would be easy to agree)

nigel-harps1954
19/07/2011, 11:09 PM
I would most definitely welcome a statue of Brendan Bradley or Fran Fields at the new stadium. I think its more the cost of the statue that puts clubs off. There is more important things to be worrying about. I'd imagine one or more of the new stands at the ground will be named after people like Bradley or Fields

outspoken
19/07/2011, 11:20 PM
Ye have to agree I'd imagine costs would be quite high

sligoman
19/07/2011, 11:23 PM
I'm laying down the foundations for a Joey Ndo statue at the Showgrounds.

dfx-
19/07/2011, 11:27 PM
On or off the pitch? You could just choose him in the first eleven and do the same job..

poster
20/07/2011, 11:08 AM
On or off the pitch? You could just choose him in the first eleven and do the same job..

And he'd still make Chris Turner and Ronan Finn look ordinary.

WoodquayBoy
20/07/2011, 1:05 PM
When - or 'if' - we sort out our basket case of a club, there is talk of erecting a statue to the late Miko Nolan at Terryland, provided the club is given permission to do so by the Galway FA, which owns the ground. Can't see it happening myself, but it is a lovely sentiment and would be hugely welcomed by United fans, especially those of a slightly more 'mature' vintage

dfx-
20/07/2011, 1:53 PM
And he'd still make Chris Turner and Ronan Finn look ordinary.

Ndo's standing on the ball as the game goes past routine is perfectly suited to a statue pose..

Dodge
20/07/2011, 2:22 PM
We had John Lester in midfield a couple fo years ago. does that count?

bluemovie
20/07/2011, 4:09 PM
We had John Lester in midfield a couple fo years ago. does that count?

Too much bronze needed for a John Lester statue. A nice Michael Jackson statue would go down well at Wexford Youths.

John83
20/07/2011, 4:24 PM
I heard that Pats had a Paul Osam statue made, but it broke before they could unveil it.

I heard that South Dublin County Council were going to erect a statue of Paddy Coad, but Thomas Davis sued, insisting he be depicted carrying sliother and hurl.

I heard Bohs were going to have a statue of Jackie Jameson built for them by a builder in a deal which couldn't possibly lose them money. They promptly spent the money they couldn't use, and then they lost the money when the builder turned out to have a small problem with liquidity.

I heard UCD were going to erect a statue of Tony MacDonnell, but he is a decent and modest bloke and asked them to spend the money on a player scholarship instead.

Yes, there is a clear Dublin bias to the above; you'll get over it.

I realise I've excluded Shelbourne, but then Shelbourne fans have come to terms with the fact that they're the fifth club in Dublin.

BonnieShels
20/07/2011, 4:27 PM
Too much bronze needed for a John Lester statue. A nice Michael Jackson statue would go down well at Wexford Youths.

Is al-Fayed buying Yoofs?

BonnieShels
20/07/2011, 4:29 PM
I realise I've excluded Shelbourne, but then Shelbourne fans have come to terms with the fact that they're the fifth club in Dublin.

For now...

sullanefc
20/07/2011, 5:52 PM

I read that initially as the filth club in Dublin. I didn't bat an eyelid. I thought BonnieShels took it rather well, until I re-read it.

PartySaint
20/07/2011, 6:10 PM

Fingal are still bigger

dfx-
20/07/2011, 6:11 PM

I heard Shels had a statue of Dermot Keely built from solid steel and titanium, but then it crumbled in front of their eyes in the last minute..

Pablo Escobar
20/07/2011, 8:13 PM
A statue of Alec Ludzik could be fitting in Turners Cross.

MagicMon
20/07/2011, 8:32 PM
There's one planned at Gortakeegan

http://weplayonfridays.com/the-redeemer/

bullit
22/07/2011, 3:15 AM
There's one planned at Gortakeegan

http://weplayonfridays.com/the-redeemer/
Thats to Ronald McDonald not Philly hughes.

Like frys with that ??

paudie
26/07/2011, 7:34 PM
I dunno would you put up a statue when someone is still alive? Maybe i'm wrong but thats what i would have thought. It would be a great tribute to any player who served a club well but you'd really want to get it right before it was put up .... and select a player who would please all fans (if he was that good then it would be easy to agree)

I always thought it was better to erect a statue to a living person. Great people should be commemorated when they are alive so they can see how much they are appreciated.

paudie
26/07/2011, 7:37 PM
Ye have to agree I'd imagine costs would be quite high

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/tony-gives-it-socks-as-statue-unveiled-634712.html

According to this artice a life size statue of Olympic boxer Socks Byrne in Drogheda cost 30,000 euro. Obviously the money could be raised over a pretty long period, say 2 years.

Eminence Grise
26/07/2011, 8:54 PM
Lifesize, €30k? Just as well he was only a lightweight...