PDA

View Full Version : Monaghan (Home)

Jofspring
19/07/2011, 8:09 AM
From reports we should have beaten them handy up in Monaghan. We need to go out and attack with a 4-4-2 but this ain't going to happen. 4-3-3 seems to be Scullys favourite formation at the moment but it has a lot of flaws from what we've seen recently. Back to basics if you ask me and let the players play a bit off football and use the wings to spread the ball wide. Everything has been way too bunched up recently.

.................Barry Ryan.....................

..C.Tracey...Purcell....McCarthy...Frost.

..Judge.....O'Leary....Gamble.....Quinn.

.............Brosnan....Behan.................

Would be a tough call between O'Leary and Lyons.

I'm expecting a decent enough crowd at this, we brought a good few up to Athlone, a lot of people that wouldn't have regularly gone to away games and there seems to be a good buzz around about how the team are doing. With decent weather I'll go for and attendance around 800, if the weather is poor i'd go for nearer the 500 mark.

Limerick 1-0 Monaghan

thomas72
19/07/2011, 1:45 PM
biggest game of the season for limerick and with mons losing last week its a massive chance to get 3pts ahead of them.
it time limerick put this prob of not turning up in the big games at home to bed we need to get a win not a draw its a great chance this game could make all the diff come the end of the season we have to win or home games against promotion seeking teams its vital.

bluewhitearmy
19/07/2011, 3:49 PM
A draw is no good if we dont start beating the teams around us we wont go up and we wont deserve to.

We battered them up there and they were very lucky to get anything from that game we need to get at them from the start again this time. If we start slow and let them settle then we will find it very hard to break them down. I have a feeling they will try to strangle midfield like Athlone did and if we dont change our tactics from that game then i think it will work for them.

If we play the same system as Athlone then there is no point at all in playing Behan he may aswell not have played in Athlone he got no ball to feet and when he won anything in the air there was no-one anywhere near him. 442 with Brosnan up front with Behan could be good.

Id like to see

Ryan
Kelly .....Paddy......McCarthy...Frost

Judge.......Gamble......O Leary.......Quinn

..............Behan.......Brosnan..............

Can see Scully sticking with the 433 and it ending 0-0

harpin
20/07/2011, 6:45 AM
We'll score first then we'll sit back and they'll score 1 or 2 in the last fifteen minutes depending on how we respond....so 1-1 or 1-2

thomas72
22/07/2011, 10:09 AM
I see rodney ( the thinker) Collins is talking more rubbish on todays mirror question who is signing or players and or dressing room must have unrest over players wages. I hate that junkie

Monkfish
22/07/2011, 1:18 PM
(How I see it) Limerick 0-1 Monaghan

2 managers set their teams out for a draw and Monaghan catch us with a set piece. Scullys awful record against decent teams goes on and the fans slate the team for being big game bottlers (again)

However with Monaghan @ 3/1 in Paddy Pickpockets the vast majority of fans leave the game with enough cash to pay for a week in BallyB!

C'mon lads prove me wrong! (and make we wait for my perrywinkles) :party:

bluewhitearmy
22/07/2011, 1:35 PM
Scully better not bottle this one he has done it so many times making stupid changes that there is no need for in a big game then hiding in the dug-out all game.

Draw is no good we have to start beating the teams around us if we dont we wont be going up.

leather
22/07/2011, 2:51 PM
was in jackmann last evening. have never seen the palying surface looking so well.. best of luck this evening

LK37oldskool
22/07/2011, 8:58 PM
another abject home performance in front of a big crowd.Scully needs to get over his love affair with O'Connor.Christ knows why i keep putting myself through this every week. Maybe they should play all their games away from home? their sure no good at home.

thomas72
22/07/2011, 9:04 PM
honestly its like groundhog day
big game and our manager cant pick the right team (AGAIN) he had two weeks to get it right. sean o connor instead of brosnan the mind boggles on that decision o conner should be nowhere near a match day squad not alone start a game scully hasnt a clue what he is doing and the sooner he is sacked the better makes me wonder who bottles it on the big games the manager or the players.

bluewhitearmy
22/07/2011, 9:09 PM
Cant back up for Scully anymore that was a complete joke. Bottles it every single big home game why after not being in the squad for the month is that tosser O Connor coming back in why did Bhandharkhar come on to replace O Leary and not Yellow?

Anyone know what formation we were playing our what positions our midfield were playing? Why was there no left winger at all?

Corie Treacy,Brian McCarthy,Andrew Bhandarkhar were awful.
Pudie Quinn is awful this is about the 10th game this season that he has had no impact at all.

Joe Gamble being a complete fool with that sending off he has no control in challenges.

Sean O Connor should never be allowed near a squad again.

Scully hiding in dug-out again for a lot of the game.

bluewhitearmy
22/07/2011, 9:10 PM
honestly its like groundhog day
big game and our manager cant pick the right team (AGAIN) he had two weeks to get it right. sean o connor instead of brosnan the mind boggles on that decision o conner should be nowhere near a match day squad not alone start a game scully hasnt a clue what he is doing and the sooner he is sacked the better makes me wonder who bottles it on the big games the manager or the players.

Both....

Jofspring
22/07/2011, 9:14 PM
Sean O Connor never should have been allowed on the pitch and bhandarkar should never have been brought on in the centre of midfield. Straight swop Lyons on for O'Leary and Brosnan starting instead of O Connor and I honestly think we would have won handy.

mastermind1
22/07/2011, 9:39 PM
Lads as a neutral, but hoping that Limerick would win heres a few things I saw that that was wrong from the start

1. Behan looks overweight, struggled after about 15 to 20 mins and didnt win a header against their centre half all night, took shots from all angles and got no where near a goal all night.

2. System was awful. no left winger. Right back had a stinker, gamble had a great first 20 mins but when they put their number 7 on him he was anonymous.

3. Yellow should have came on way earlier, seen him warm up so I doubt he was injured.

4. The Limerick team lacked any real conviction and were outplayed and outfought by mons and again Scully went into his shell as soon as mons scored, absolute terrible result and if things arent sorted now it will be goodbye to the clubs ambitions of playing premier football next year.

Finally for the lads in the stand who were roaring that the ball was out in the corner in the build up to the second, it was definitely still in play as I was only 5 yards away from it and clearlyseen it stay in, what a stupid red card for Gamble aswell. All these new players might not have the fight in them thtas needed, any 1 agree\ disagree with comments?

On a positive Sean Brosnan did very well when he came on and Barry Ryan made 2 or 3 great saves

bluewhitearmy
22/07/2011, 9:42 PM
Lads as a neutral, but hoping that Limerick would win heres a few things I saw that that was wrong from the start

1. Behan looks overweight, struggled after about 15 to 20 mins and didnt win a header against their centre half all night, took shots from all angles and got no where near a goal all night.

2. System was awful. no left winger. Right back had a stinker, gamble had a great first 20 mins but when they put their number 7 on him he was anonymous.

3. Yellow should have came on way earlier, seen him warm up so I doubt he was injured.

4. The Limerick team lacked any real conviction and were outplayed and outfought by mons and again Scully went into his shell as soon as mons scored, absolute terrible result and if things arent sorted now it will be goodbye to the clubs ambitions of playing premier football next year.

Finally for the lads in the stand who were roaring that the ball was out in the corner in the build up to the second, it was definitely still in play as I was only 5 yards away from it and clearlyseen it stay in, what a stupid red card for Gamble aswell. All these new players might not have the fight in them thtas needed, any 1 agree\ disagree with comments?

On a positive Sean Brosnan did very well when he came on and Barry Ryan made 2 or 3 great saves

Thank you i was in the stand and said it was in people just making excuses.

Its not just the New players that dont have the fight none of them do well very little of them.

handball
22/07/2011, 9:46 PM
Both....
no not both its up to the manager to pick the right team and to get that team motivated for one of their most important games 2 date this season and imo he just not up to the job and the sooner he,s out the door the better he was pure negative last week against athlone and got lucky bye bye i say.....

bluewhitearmy
22/07/2011, 9:58 PM
no not both its up to the manager to pick the right team and to get that team motivated for one of their most important games 2 date this season and imo he just not up to the job and the sooner he,s out the door the better he was pure negative last week against athlone and got lucky bye bye i say.....

Yep the players cant get motivated unless they get told to what are they 5?
If they want to get up they would be motivated for games like this themselves they are also to blame they are just as much bottlers.
The right team was not put out but the players that were picked have to take some of the blame.

Time for Scully to go though he has done it over and over again now the last 3 years time to take him oput of his hiding space in the dug-out for good.

Monster
22/07/2011, 10:56 PM
I have held back for a long time but tonight says it all scully is a bluffer with his booming voice when were winning and retreats to his shell in the dug out wen we need him..has had more money than any other manager in history and still can't beat Monaghan at home :( bandalker instead of yello is a sackable offence in itself..imagine if we did manage to get promoted is he the man to bring the club forward in the premier I don't think so.. a bluffer a preacher of negative football and couldn't sign a player for his life..how much money has he wasted?? it isn't a coincidence that he is one of the most hated men in league of Ireland football why are we putting up with him??

nosebleds
22/07/2011, 11:42 PM
I have held back for a long time but tonight says it all scully is a bluffer with his booming voice when were winning and retreats to his shell in the dug out wen we need him..has had more money than any other manager in history and still can't beat Monaghan at home :( bandalker instead of yello is a sackable offence in itself..imagine if we did manage to get promoted is he the man to bring the club forward in the premier I don't think so.. a bluffer a preacher of negative football and couldn't sign a player for his life..how much money has he wasted?? it isn't a coincidence that he is one of the most hated men in league of Ireland football why are we putting up with him??
agree totally,but all is not lost,athlone more than capable of beating mons in there next match,would level things up again,providing we start winning.

abbeyvale
22/07/2011, 11:48 PM
Lads was that McCarthy wearing no.13 tonight?
He was beaten in the air by a bloke roughly a foot smaller than him at the edge of Mons box from a Lim free, which Mons then went up the other end to score (the less said about Lim defending in the corner the better, how in gods name did the Mons player get passed 3 Lim players to get his cross in.................schoolboy defending)

bluewhitearmy
23/07/2011, 12:31 AM
Lads was that McCarthy wearing no.13 tonight?
He was beaten in the air by a bloke roughly a foot smaller than him at the edge of Mons box from a Lim free, which Mons then went up the other end to score (the less said about Lim defending in the corner the better, how in gods name did the Mons player get passed 3 Lim players to get his cross in.................schoolboy defending)

Thats McCarthy ya what did people make of his constant hoofing?

Anyone agree with em that Paudie Quinn adds nothing i keep being told that he is very good but i cant see it at all.

Agree 100%b with Monster about yellow apparently his excuse was yellow wasnt fit but he started last weeks match and if hes not fit then why is he on the bench.

fieldofmarkets
23/07/2011, 3:49 AM
Abroad at the moment and so missed the match (thank god). Didn't need to be there though as you knew how it would go as soon as extratime put up the teamsheet. O'connor on, kelly not starting etc. Fullback into center midfield for o'leary. Last throw of the dice while loosing to the team that may keep us down ... Straight swap right full for a right full with midfielders and forwards on the bench. Not only do we loose these games but they are such a shambles we have players driven to foolishness and now another red card. Manager is costing us points, players, attendances and a premier spot for the markets field next season.

Jofspring
23/07/2011, 9:20 AM
Every person I talked to before the game where disgusted that O Connor was starting and knew it was down hill from there. Scully can't use injuries as excuse as he had enough quality around to replace the injured players. If Yellow was fit enough to play the last few games he was fit enough tonight. Yellow has also been excellent doing the job that was required when O'Leary came off but a left full goes into that position. Crazy stuff. I really think Scully has lost his marbles and I think Shiels and Farmer have most likely also. Scully made it very easy for Mons in the end last night.

Targetman
23/07/2011, 10:37 AM
To be fair to some of the players that played last night, we were by far the better team. In patches we knocked the ball about very well, it seems we were just missing that bit of creativity to carve an opening or someone like steve-o to finish off a half chance. Monaghan were woeful in my opinion, just hoofing balls into spaces where there were clearly no players anywhere near. Its crazy that they are up towards the top of the table.

Now why we lost the game instead of drew:

When O' Leary went off injured, Skully changed the system from a 4-4-2 which was working, to a 4-1-2-1-2 kind of formation, with all our midfield bunched in the centre. Most of the time, when we were in possession we were ok, and could pass and retain it if we wanted to, without creating too much. But when Monaghan had the ball, they could counter quickly, by simply passing the ball out to the wing. There would then be no one within 10/15 yards of their winger and they had time to pick a pass, or take on the fullbacks, if they were even there. That’s how the first goal came about.
Another shocking decision was with 15/10 mins to go, just throwing Paddy Purcell up front. This isn’t Under 12's, he should have subbed McCarthy for an att midfielder or striker if he wanted more up front.

I agree with nearly everything else:

O'Connor was shocking, didn’t even know he was playing until he was taken off.

Although Corey Tracey played ok, he looked unfit at times. Kelly played well when he game on, and should start the next game.

Behan, although a stone or two overweight, played decent and you can see flashes of what he can do.

Gamble started very well, but didn’t see enough of him in the second half. Sending off was deserved and stupid.

Not blaming the result on him, but the ref was absolutely shocking. Missing blatant fouls right in front of him and then just the inconsistency in giving out cards and fouls.

To be honest I can’t see Scully being sacked before the end of the season. Although his home record is shocking against the good teams, I still think it’s possible that we could achieve a top 2/3 finish. If we don’t, he should be out the door and then there should be a decent budget available to hire a new manager when quality ones are there to hire.

inmoscow
23/07/2011, 11:39 AM
Steve Henderson come on in.

bluewhitearmy
23/07/2011, 11:50 AM
Steve Henderson come on in.

Exactly what i was thinking would love to see him come in til the end of the season at least. No hope will Scully actually be sacked though it will be at the end of the season when we are stuck in this league for another year.

nosebleds
23/07/2011, 12:23 PM
i no u are probally sick of hearing this,but in fairness there are a few guys on the athlone team who would have played way better than half the guys in jackman last night.Scullys stubbourness and dislike to certain players could be costly come end of season .If a player is good enough he should be signed end of story,please dont start slating me as its only my OPINION.

bluewhitearmy
23/07/2011, 12:26 PM
i no u are probally sick of hearing this,but in fairness there are a few guys on the athlone team who would have played way better than half the guys in jackman last night.Scullys stubbourness and dislike to certain players could be costly come end of season .If a player is good enough he should be signed end of story,please dont start slating me as its only my OPINION.

Jason Hughes caused us more problems in Athlone then Sean O Connor or Paudie Quinn have causes anyone all season and Wayne Colbert or Connor Kavanagh would have been 100 times better then Bhandarkhar in midfield so you are spot on really.

thomas72
23/07/2011, 1:05 PM
It's was on radio this morning that we are looking to bring in another striker question is do you trust scully to sign the right one. We need an out and out striker a fox in the box if you like. We don't need another target man pacey striker I reckon.

bluewhitearmy
23/07/2011, 1:12 PM
It's was on radio this morning that we are looking to bring in another striker question is do you trust scully to sign the right one. We need an out and out striker a fox in the box if you like. We don't need another target man pacey striker I reckon.

Being honest i think Pat O S should keep his money and not give a cent more to Scully.
Bring in another striker and what then he gets dropped while hes in good scoring form like Brosnan.

Jofspring
23/07/2011, 3:49 PM
No I don't think we need another striker. We have players that can score goals but the way we are playing isn't setting up any decent chances and we are resorting to snatching at the ball from far out. Don't think Sava had to make any decent save last night.

Going by Hendersons recent record with Waterford I wouldn't like him anywhere near the Limerick team. He has done a worse job than Scully this year, he signed bad players, played players out of position and couldn't motivate the team at all. Would almost be replacing a like for like. We need a no nonsense manager that plays the team to players strengths. Scully seems to want players to adapt to his tactics and fit into the way he wants them to play instead of the other way around.

ped_ped
23/07/2011, 4:43 PM
No I don't think we need another striker. We have players that can score goals but the way we are playing isn't setting up any decent chances and we are resorting to snatching at the ball from far out. Don't think Sava had to make any decent save last night.

Going by Hendersons recent record with Waterford I wouldn't like him anywhere near the Limerick team. He has done a worse job than Scully this year, he signed bad players, played players out of position and couldn't motivate the team at all. Would almost be replacing a like for like. We need a no nonsense manager that plays the team to players strengths. Scully seems to want players to adapt to his tactics and fit into the way he wants them to play instead of the other way around.

Who would you suggest yourself?

kingpin4
23/07/2011, 5:32 PM

That surely means the players aren't intelligent enough or good enough to play that system...? The only thing I'd say is, none of us see what they do at training or how they plan on playing, but surely once the whistle goes it has to be on the players to perform. I know people have said about players playing out of position and all that, but they have to be able to carry out whatever job you give them, it's not like asking a dentist to perform open heart surgery... A left back surely can perform in left wing or the middle. Just my opinion though, but I'd definitely put a fair share of the blame on the players too.

Also, gamble is going to get booked in every game because of his name. Predicting a red card against cork already.

harpin
23/07/2011, 7:11 PM
To be fair to some of the players that played last night, we were by far the better team. In patches we knocked the ball about very well, it seems we were just missing that bit of creativity to carve an opening or someone like steve-o to finish off a half chance. Monaghan were woeful in my opinion, just hoofing balls into spaces where there were clearly no players anywhere near. Its crazy that they are up towards the top of the table.

Now why we lost the game instead of drew:

When O' Leary went off injured, Skully changed the system from a 4-4-2 which was working, to a 4-1-2-1-2 kind of formation, with all our midfield bunched in the centre. Most of the time, when we were in possession we were ok, and could pass and retain it if we wanted to, without creating too much. But when Monaghan had the ball, they could counter quickly, by simply passing the ball out to the wing. There would then be no one within 10/15 yards of their winger and they had time to pick a pass, or take on the fullbacks, if they were even there. That’s how the first goal came about.
Another shocking decision was with 15/10 mins to go, just throwing Paddy Purcell up front. This isn’t Under 12's, he should have subbed McCarthy for an att midfielder or striker if he wanted more up front.

I agree with nearly everything else:

O'Connor was shocking, didn’t even know he was playing until he was taken off.

Although Corey Tracey played ok, he looked unfit at times. Kelly played well when he game on, and should start the next game.

Behan, although a stone or two overweight, played decent and you can see flashes of what he can do.

Gamble started very well, but didn’t see enough of him in the second half. Sending off was deserved and stupid.

Not blaming the result on him, but the ref was absolutely shocking. Missing blatant fouls right in front of him and then just the inconsistency in giving out cards and fouls.

To be honest I can’t see Scully being sacked before the end of the season. Although his home record is shocking against the good teams, I still think it’s possible that we could achieve a top 2/3 finish. If we don’t, he should be out the door and then there should be a decent budget available to hire a new manager when quality ones are there to hire.

No 4-4-2 Bardanker went to the left of the midfield 3 and Jeffrey came across to play where O'Leary was. We have no width because of this system it's meant to come from the fullbacks....if they're forward then our midfield I presume is meant to cover them. Our first goal Behan had no options, Tracey tore up the line to give him an out, the pass never made it to him, he couldn't get back in time and Purcell gave out to him....wasn't his fault but his head dropped after that

Anyway O'Connor....what the f*** was that about
Brosnan...ditto
Yellow...ditto
Bardanker...ditto
Gamble was always going to get sent off
No support for Behan...I feel sorry for Hynes always tried and caused problems

Scully....what does he do in the dressing room?

Jofspring
23/07/2011, 8:01 PM
Who would you suggest yourself?

Dunno to be honest. Somebody with experience that will come in and hit the ground running. Not a guy that will come in and want to get used to the players and experiment. Damien Richardson till the end of the season maybe and see from there. He talks a lot if crap but he does know his stuff. I'm sure he would be interested for a few months anyway if Scully was to go.

Can't see POS getting rid of Scully though. He does come across as a loyal guy and he will probably stick by Scully.

Jofspring
23/07/2011, 8:52 PM
Forgot to ask is Gamble only one more yellow away from another suspension? Is it 4 or 5 yellows? He now has 3 yellows in two games.

da bishop
24/07/2011, 12:22 AM
well cant say i,m fond of the guy but hats off to roddy because lets face it he is getting the very best of a very ordinary mons team and he certainly prepared his troops for this one.when they got the chance they tried to play and his subs etc were spot on.our first 20 mins were ok ,after that it was a chore plenty possession no end product ,by the end it was shambolic not helped by some bizzare decisions by the bench most notably sending purcell up front and once that happened the 2nd goal was always on.having previously said that we cant wait for new signings ...to get fit.....this game only cemented my view,plus i would think player morale has already dropped as a result of recent events..i.e signing a veteran centre half with a record of injury,playing him straight away ,then he coming off injured minutes into his first game.also the negative system at home,the selection of o conner and theres plenty more,however there is light at the end of the tunnel ,heres hoping things improve so we can get there.

bluewhitearmy
24/07/2011, 12:45 AM
I might be being harsh but i dont think Paddy talks enough for a captain he is supposed to lead but its Frost that does all the talking and Gamble since he came.

Told by one of the players that Sean O Connor was meant to be playing left wing but kept moving out of position and refusing to get back in position.
John Frost asking Scully to take him off at start of 2nd half says it all.