PDA

View Full Version : Priemer League Play Offs

GUFCghost
16/07/2011, 11:06 PM
Irish people love hype,(e.g the all Ireland final)so perhaps a play off between the first and second teams every year would get a good attendance(if it was pumped up enough,but I'm sure the FAI would be able to pay of a few tabloids)

BonnieShels
16/07/2011, 11:08 PM
No.....

GUFCghost
16/07/2011, 11:12 PM
A very detailed reply there, BonnieShels

BonnieShels
16/07/2011, 11:18 PM
It's all it warranted... I can go further.

It's a league and not a cup competition and it should be decided over the course of a full season.

Imagine a scenario say Shams finish top by 20 points this year with Sligo in second place. (I said imagine)
They play each other in a play-off final and Sligo win on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Wouldn't exactly be a fair reflection on the season.

It may end up being that way this season as we still don't know who's going down and who's coming up so it could yet happen.

outspoken
16/07/2011, 11:22 PM
Have to agree with BonnieShels it would not be a fair system.

bullit
16/07/2011, 11:41 PM
A play-off scenario would be a wee bit bizzare and wouldnt be welcome for sure for reasons that have been poitned out.

Ezeikial
17/07/2011, 1:06 AM
Why limit it to just the top two, when you could have all the league teams involved in a knockout series, and then have the Grand Playoff in the Aviva. Maybe Ford would sponsor it?

BonnieShels
17/07/2011, 1:10 AM
Why limit it to just the top two, when you could have all the league teams involved in a knockout series, and then have the Grand Playoff in the Aviva. Maybe Ford would sponsor it?

Can't see it taking off.

harleyleeds
17/07/2011, 4:52 PM
It's all it warranted... I can go further.

It's a league and not a cup competition and it should be decided over the course of a full season.

Imagine a scenario say Shams finish top by 20 points this year with Sligo in second place. (I said imagine)
They play each other in a play-off final and Sligo win on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Wouldn't exactly be a fair reflection on the season.

It may end up being that way this season as we still don't know who's going down and who's coming up so it could yet happen.

Great immagination but of course ur right its a league and playoffs would be disgraceful

Jofspring
17/07/2011, 4:59 PM
Would be going down the rugby route then. In fairness in Rugby usually the best team over a season do come out on top in France, England and the Celtic league but I don't think it would work in soccer. The sports are too different. You can be useless in a football match and win by a jammy goal or poor refereeing i.e a dodgy penalty decision but it is much harder to score a dodgy try or for a ref to influence a game without being very obvious in rugby. Basically in soccer its much easier to get screwed out of a match if it went to a play off system at the end of the year than it is in rugby so would not work.

RahenyBohs
17/07/2011, 7:20 PM
It's done in gaelic football and I think it's done with the rugby union premiership in England.

Anyway I disagree with the idea of bringing it into use in the League of Ireland.

legendz
18/07/2011, 9:54 PM
Play-offs have a place in terms of promotion and maybe the last Europa League place in some leagues but definitely not for determining the league champion.