PDA

View Full Version : Epl 2011/2012

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DeLorean
15/07/2011, 11:26 AM
Not too far away now. I see that Aston Villa look likely to sign Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan. In my opinion he is a far superior player to Stuart Downing, also slightly younger and definitely less expensive. I suppose Liverpool went for Downing to compliment Andy Carroll, as he does send in a lot of decent crosses.

Ferguson has denied any approach for Sneijder, saying that there's no real interest for many reasons...I'd love to hear some of them because, to me, he's exactly what they need.

KK77
15/07/2011, 2:42 PM
Not pushed on N'Zogbia myself. Seems to play one good game in five. Would have preferred Ashley Young myself to Downing but all in all not much between the two of them imo. Just happy to be spending again as opposed to sell to buy. Bar the season under Jose don't think Sneijder has been anything special would prefer Modric. Utd have done well to bring in the replacement keeper and Phil Jones for the future. Ashley Young for Giggs is a good one as well.

DeLorean
18/07/2011, 8:54 AM
Couldn't disagree more about N'Zogbia, think he's been incredibly consistent at Wigan and was the main reason they've stayed up the last two seasons. If Modric leaves (which he will sooner or later) it looks like being Chelsea doesn't it? He is a class act alright but Sneijder, too, would be a big improvement on what United have already.

KK77
18/07/2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah looks like Chelsea alright well from the way he has been speaking. Saw an interview with Pallister recently and he thought Modric would be ideal for Man U but at the same time while i would prefer him yes Sneijder would be an improvement. I would much prefer Downing in the Liverpool team to Nzogbia but that's a personal opinion.

DeLorean
18/07/2011, 10:53 AM
Fair enough. I wouldn't really rate Downing but he'll be suitable enough for Carroll alright, and he'll give their midfield a better balance. The fact that he hasn't nailed down a place in the England team says a lot for me, considering they've been so starved of decent left sided midfielders.

KK77
18/07/2011, 11:45 AM
To be honest not really bothered about what he does or doesn't do for England. Not exactly many players who set the world alight in the England team who play in their regular positions most games never mind not have a place nailed down in a problem position. Out of interest does Nzogbia play regularly for France?

DeLorean
18/07/2011, 12:30 PM
Out of interest does Nzogbia play regularly for France?

No, think he has been capped alright but certainly not regularly selected. It's amazing really as they have very few decent players who could do a job in wide areas. I know they have the likes of Ribery, Malouda and Nasri but Downing would oust any of them if he was French!

KK77
18/07/2011, 12:52 PM
No, think he has been capped alright but certainly not regularly selected. It's amazing really as they have very few decent players who could do a job in wide areas. I know they have the likes of Ribery, Malouda and Nasri but Downing would oust any of them if he was French!

We'll never know!

KK77
21/07/2011, 11:48 AM
Wigan midfielder Charles N'Zogbia is to go on strike by refusing to train as his frustration boils over following the rejection of a £9m bid from Aston Villa.

Closed Account 2
08/08/2011, 10:12 AM
Thought Taibi had an interesting debut for Man Utd yesterday.

DeLorean
08/08/2011, 12:25 PM
Thought Taibi had an interesting debut for Man Utd yesterday.

Do you not rate him Edmundo? Haven't seen much of him myself. He's bound to take a bit of time to settle, young man in a new country at a massive club.

Closed Account 2
08/08/2011, 1:20 PM
I think he'll probably be ok in the long run, but for someone so young I do wonder if he might have a few howlers like yesterday at the start of the season.

It's always going to be difficult for a player who was born in Madrid and only ever played for his local team to move to a different culture, a different style of football and a different country at such a young age. I also think he wont benefit from the transition that Man Utd will have to make at central defence this season. I think Ferdinand is past it now and one of Smalling or Jones will displace him by the end of the season, but will De Gea have the authourity Der Saar had ? Will he able to marshall his defence as well. One problem he'll have now is word might get out that he's suspect from distance and doesnt command his box from crosses. The latter can be mitigated by getting the center backs to mop up anything in front of him, but for the former teams might start shooting from distance and there is a danger this could become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Simply put if the opposition pepper his goal with shots he's likely to conceed more goals from distance.

OwlsFan
09/08/2011, 4:52 PM
Title: Man U

Relegated: Swansea, Norwich and Wigan.

mastermind1
09/08/2011, 5:48 PM
Title - Man Utd
Second - City
Third - Chelsea
Fourth- Liverpool

Relegated- QPR, Norwich, Blackburn

culloty82
09/08/2011, 7:23 PM
I'd agree with Mastermind on 1-4, but I reckon QPR, Swansea and Wigan will be the bottom three.

culloty82
11/08/2011, 7:40 AM
Even though the riots have largely died down for now, QPR-Bolton, Spurs-Everton and Fulham-Everton will probably be postponed, possibly West Brom- Man United also.

shakermaker1982
11/08/2011, 12:01 PM
I think he'll probably be ok in the long run, but for someone so young I do wonder if he might have a few howlers like yesterday at the start of the season.

It's always going to be difficult for a player who was born in Madrid and only ever played for his local team to move to a different culture, a different style of football and a different country at such a young age. I also think he wont benefit from the transition that Man Utd will have to make at central defence this season. I think Ferdinand is past it now and one of Smalling or Jones will displace him by the end of the season, but will De Gea have the authourity Der Saar had ? Will he able to marshall his defence as well. One problem he'll have now is word might get out that he's suspect from distance and doesnt command his box from crosses. The latter can be mitigated by getting the center backs to mop up anything in front of him, but for the former teams might start shooting from distance and there is a danger this could become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Simply put if the opposition pepper his goal with shots he's likely to conceed more goals from distance.

De Gea is a very good shot stopper. I think he just got caught out for the 2nd goal and was left a bit flat footed. He also tries to catch instead of punch (which I like to see) so he should cope with the PL no bother. He lacks experience but over time he'll be able to bark orders and command his box with the best of em. Ferdinand only plays in 50% of PL games because of injuries so I agree he is on the way out. Smalling (who might start at RB for a while) and Jones are more than capable of filling in. The defence and attacking options for United are top notch. Central midfield however (like Ireland) is the main problem area.

Man Utd will walk the league unless Chelsea bring in a couple of big guns before the August transfer window.

Champions: United
2nd: Chelsea
3rd: Man City
4th: Arsenal

Relegated:

Blackburn
QPR
Wigan

bennocelt
11/08/2011, 2:13 PM
1 - manure Utd
2- Chelsea

Norwich to get a top 10 finish
Everton to get into Europe

Blackburn to be relegated
And Villa might also be in trouble

KK77
12/08/2011, 8:24 AM
Can't wait for the season to start! Excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

BonnieShels
12/08/2011, 8:33 AM
It started. In March. We're half way through.

KK77
12/08/2011, 9:03 AM
It started. In March. We're half way through.

Epl 2011/2012

BonnieShels
12/08/2011, 9:15 AM
Ah Kevin.

KK77
12/08/2011, 9:41 AM
Ah Kenny.

Kenny?

BonnieShels
12/08/2011, 9:49 AM
Kenny?

oops. Fixed. Love when ya try to be a disingenuous ass and make a mistake.

KK77
12/08/2011, 10:37 AM
oops. Fixed. Love when ya try to be a disingenuous ass and make a mistake.

Kevin?

BonnieShels
12/08/2011, 11:05 AM
Your handle is KK.

KK77
12/08/2011, 11:48 AM
1. Man U
2. Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal

Not sure who will go down being honest but wll have a stab at Norwich, Swansea and QPR.

SkStu
12/08/2011, 4:14 PM
just in case anyone is interested in going, Bohs have taken advantage in the delay to Evertons season and have arranged a friendly against Everton in Dalymount Park this Monday. Kick off at 7.45pm. Moyes confirmed that they will be taking their first team.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2011/08/12/blues-line-up-bohemians-friendly

As a Bohs fan and Everton fan, this is one that i really regret missing!

SkStu
12/08/2011, 10:14 PM
http://www.bohemians.ie/images/postera4_everton_01.jpg

ArdeeBhoy
13/08/2011, 12:34 AM
With the exception, possibly of the Bohs game, it's going to be as boring and predictable as ever...

There may be a few 'shock' results, but less than last season I reckon.

BonnieShels
13/08/2011, 3:15 PM
All those bus routes. And not one to Tallaght. Disgraceful.

elroy
13/08/2011, 6:09 PM
That 'incident' involving barton and the new arsenal striker personifies all what is wrong with the modern game and why so many people are turned off by the players and thee game.

Needless to say, joey barton remains a distasteful character

BonnieShels
13/08/2011, 11:18 PM
It personifies all that's wrong.with the English game. Big difference.

KK77
15/08/2011, 9:00 AM
Was at the Liverpool match on Saturday and imo the draw was a fair result. Of the new signings i thought Adam was good, Downing in flashes was good but will need to do a lot more, Enrique looked solid but shouldn't be afraid to push on and Henderson was poor but being played totally out of position to me is unfair on the lad. I would agree with Steve Bruce in that he's only 20 and people need to be patient with him. For Sunderland i thought Wes Brown had a blinder of a game. Reminded me of how he played for Man U during the 2007/2008 season.

old git
15/08/2011, 8:49 PM
yes he is distasteful character ,, but gervino dived to try and win a penalty , he also struck barton with a weak slap with help barton go down in a heap but behind all the bad press barton gets most of it his own doing , song blatently stamped on his calf that was cowardly and if barton done it we would have been faced with wenger & the english press going into a frenzy. first weekend of the new season and it looks like we are in for more play acting / cheating etc let the fun begin

BonnieShels
16/08/2011, 7:59 AM
And the funny thing about Song's stamp is that after it happened Barton went over to him acted like the gentleman, said WTF, had a laugh with song after he apologised for it, shook hands and went on with the match.

DeLorean
16/08/2011, 9:51 AM
Was at the Liverpool match on Saturday and imo the draw was a fair result. Of the new signings i thought Adam was good, Downing in flashes was good but will need to do a lot more, Enrique looked solid but shouldn't be afraid to push on and Henderson was poor but being played totally out of position to me is unfair on the lad. I would agree with Steve Bruce in that he's only 20 and people need to be patient with him. For Sunderland i thought Wes Brown had a blinder of a game. Reminded me of how he played for Man U during the 2007/2008 season.

Hang on a minute....agreeing with Steve Bruce??? slightly critical of Kenny playing Henderson out of position??? hugely complimentary towards a former Man U player??? who is this KK and what have you done with Rafa?!! :D

I agree with most of that though. Over the 90 minutes a draw was probably fair, but Liverpool should have been further ahead at half time. Carroll's goal should have stood in my opinion, slightest of touches, although I couldn't really make my mind up about the penalty. From one angle it looked like Saurez tripped himself. Great run and shot by Downing that hit the bar, and Adam looked very useful alright. Think Carroll's presence makes them very predictable at times and the second half perfomance was fairly awful.

KK77
16/08/2011, 11:02 AM
Hang on a minute....agreeing with Steve Bruce??? slightly critical of Kenny playing Henderson out of position??? hugely complimentary towards a former Man U player??? who is this KK and what have you done with Rafa?!! :D

I agree with most of that though. Over the 90 minutes a draw was probably fair, but Liverpool should have been further ahead at half time. Carroll's goal should have stood in my opinion, slightest of touches, although I couldn't really make my mind up about the penalty. From one angle it looked like Saurez tripped himself. Great run and shot by Downing that hit the bar, and Adam looked very useful alright. Think Carroll's presence makes them very predictable at times and the second half perfomance was fairly awful.

Yeah it was poor in the second half but overall happy enough with what i saw in the first half. If that's the way we aim to play going forward i will be happy out.

OwlsFan
17/08/2011, 12:09 PM
Saw the City vs Swansea game. Aguero looked the real deal when he came on but based upon 20 minutes against the likes of Swansea, it's a bit early for headlines like £35M WELL SPENT", "THE NEW MARADONNA" etc He certainly lit up what had been the usual pedestrian City performance and hopefully he'll continue in the same vein. One must wonder though why Real M or Barca didn't sign him if he's so great.

KK77
17/08/2011, 1:45 PM
Saw the City vs Swansea game. Aguero looked the real deal when he came on but based upon 20 minutes against the likes of Swansea, it's a bit early for headlines like £35M WELL SPENT", "THE NEW MARADONNA" etc He certainly lit up what had been the usual pedestrian City performance and hopefully he'll continue in the same vein. One must wonder though why Real M or Barca didn't sign him if he's so great.

Yes that's the media for you. I know it was Swansea but still he looked great but more importantly he looked a good pro who will put in a shift for the team. Even before he came on City to me looked anything but pedestrian but again it will be interesting to see if they play with the same style as the games come along.

osarusan
21/08/2011, 12:49 AM
Stayed up late here to watch 2 EPL games last night. Arsenal looked a total shambles against Liverpool. I don't follow them closely enough to know what players will come back from injury, but they were woefully bad in midfield. Liverpool looked like scording even before Frimpong's deserved card.

Then watched Sunderland against Newcastle, which was even worse. Nasty tackle by Bardsley, but Cayabe could have gone earlier as well.

Couldn't keep my eyes open for the third game on offer - Chelsea vs West Brom.

OwlsFan
28/08/2011, 7:33 PM
No songs of 1-0 to the Arsenal ??

old git
28/08/2011, 9:15 PM
No songs of 1-0 to the Arsenal ??

the gunners got outgunned big time today.. serious problems for wenger & arsenal after todays result .

Closed Account 2
29/08/2011, 12:41 AM
They've sold far too many players, even reserve players have been sold to the point where there is no strenght in depth. You can tell he's a professor of economics, he just looks at every player as an item on a balance sheet, desperate to turn a profit or never financially write off a player. Eboué's the classic example of this, he wasn't a world class player but he was experienced - he's played in World Cups and Champions League finals - and he could have played anywhere across the back four meaning Jenkinson or whatever his name was wouldnt have been so exposed - was it really worth selling him for the €3.5m ??

You can hold your hands up and say maybe he was never going to keep players like Fabregas and Nasri, but he's sold (or not renewed) players like Clichy, Senderos, Gallas, Eduardo, even going back to Gilberto Silva. All of these would have been better than the bench players they had (and better than some of the first team players today) - the squad is paper-thin and it's a thinning that Wenger is responsible for.

It's worth saying Chelsea looked pretty poor this weekend too, John Terry's pace is a huge liability now, all their other defenders are having to double cover him, you'd have to think a back line without him (e.g. Bosingwa, David Luiz, Alex, Ivanovic) would look a bit more stable. They have a spine of incredible slowness with Terry and Lamplard playing. They really do miss pace and guile in the center, Essien is a big loss but I think his career has gone the way of Redondo and he wont play regularly again. Torres is still a millstone around the teams neck if they want to play two at the top they would be better off with Drogba and Lukaku. I don't think Villas Boas has the strenght of character to drop those big name players (Terry, Lampard and Torres) on a regular basis. I can only see this trophy ending up in Manchester or Salford in May.

OwlsFan
19/09/2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/8770603/Premier-League-action.html?image=8

Great picture. I wonder is the woman in the bottom left a Torres fan or is she just embarrassed for him unlike the rest of the fans.

OwlsFan
19/10/2011, 2:52 PM
I see some of the foreign owners are consdering making a move to abolish relegation and to make the EPL similar to the NFL etc. Ferguson and Souness are but two who have come out against this. I am not sure how the NFL works but I assume a large proportion of the teams get to the play offs or whatever they are called so there would be some excitement to replace the relegation struggles. Such a move would of course alienate all the disenfranchised clubs in the football league but in a way might help if the Championship was set up as a rival league. Haven't decided whether it would be good or bad for the "lesser" clubs who could never compete anyway with the Man Us, Liverpools, Chelseas of this world. The EPL teams would of course be prevented from playing in the League Cup which doesn't interest them anyway and possibly the FA Cup. It could lead to the owners taking over the EPL and possibly even preventing their players internationals. WHo knows where it could end.

theworm2345
19/10/2011, 8:32 PM
12 of 32 teams make the NFL playoffs. I think this no relegation is the worst idea I have heard in a long time.

OwlsFan
21/10/2011, 11:37 AM
I would say that things will change in the next few years for better or for worse. I notice that the new Liverpool owner was complaining that the TV pot is divided equally between all the 20 Premiership clubs and says that the tv audience don't want to see the likes of Bolton. They want to see the big clubs like his club, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. Looks like the rich want to get richer and we know where that philosophy led Ireland.

kksaints
23/10/2011, 3:05 PM
Some result today. United 1 City 6

Lionel Ritchie
23/10/2011, 10:46 PM
If it weren't for the likes of Bolton creating some counterpoint yer mans wouldn't be a "big club".

Even Alex Ferguson pointed out that there's (paraphrasing) "eight clubs in the championship with huge histories". What've Liverpool got on them other than a more recent history?

I don't think it'll happen anyway because there's enough people in there, English and "foreign" who'll see it's throttling the goose that lays the golden eggs. Hopefully it'll be a distant memory soon like the pre-champions league mooted European super-league where Europes "elite" 18-20 teams (a dozen or more of them enjoying permanent un-relegatable status if you don't mind) go hammer and tongs at each other year in year out. Mercifully someone copped on it'd be a yawnfest. I do wonder though where Liverpool would have ranked in such a set-up. Permanent and Unrelegatable? I've my doubts.