PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Croatia - Wednesday, 10th August 2011 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

theworm2345
13/07/2011, 2:57 AM
Trap is naming the squad Friday, quite early isn't it? I suppose it gives the lads ample chance to pull out properly.

Sullivinho
13/07/2011, 3:23 AM
Trap is naming the squad Friday, quite early isn't it? I suppose it gives the lads ample chance to pull out properly.

There's a rhythm to Trap's method. However, will he be coy to us or interruptus with his thoughts on McCarthy and co.? I confidently predict a total abstinence from Anthony Stokes.

BonnieShels
13/07/2011, 7:35 AM
I confidently predict a total abstinence from Anthony Stokes.

Shouldn't be hard. Don't think there's 12 steps for that one.

SwanVsDalton
13/07/2011, 10:24 AM

I think Trap's squad announcements for lesser games sometimes occur whenever he's handily in the country. FAI AGM this Saturday, so two birds with one stone.

Plus, as you say, plenty of time so players can get their stories straight. Imagine there could be a lot of withdrawals due to pre-season/imminent EPL kick-off.

Crosby87
13/07/2011, 1:00 PM
Yeah it will be funny to see who tries to get out of this one and what the "reason" is.

Closed Account
13/07/2011, 2:33 PM
He named his squad for Argentina (11/8/10) on the 27/7/10, so he's naming it a good 11 days earlier this year if theworm is correct(probably is).

The danger is, is that it gives managers and players plenty of opportunity to get a way out of it.
Its not ideal for either, for players to miss at least two full days training on the week before the league starts. Especially with the number of our players likely to be at new clubs by then, and trying to get into the starting eleven.

He named a 28 man squad last year. Probably a similiar number Friday.

SolitudeRed
14/07/2011, 9:34 PM
Will any new faces get a call up for this match I wonder? Anthony Gerrard seems to have done well in defence for Hull last season was apparently voted their player of the season by the fans, maybe even Barry Maguire? doubt hes been cleared to play for Ireland yet though.

CraftyToePoke
14/07/2011, 10:51 PM
Will any new faces get a call up for this match I wonder? Anthony Gerrard seems to have done well in defence for Hull last season was apparently voted their player of the season by the fans, maybe even Barry Maguire? doubt hes been cleared to play for Ireland yet though.

Or maybe that Chambers lad at Forest, but I have a feeling we could be dealing more with who hasnt been included after the no shows last time. A few new faces would make it interesting though.

SwanVsDalton
15/07/2011, 12:04 PM
From Ciaran O'Raghallaigh on Twitter:

"Expect a pleasant surprise from today's Ireland squad announcement.... #fai"

Hmmm. Player or something else?

greendeiseboy
15/07/2011, 12:22 PM

No, Steve Staunton in coaching role:o

Closed Account
15/07/2011, 12:23 PM

Andy Reid !!! Stephen Ireland!!!! David Connolly?

tetsujin1979
15/07/2011, 12:24 PM
My money's on Messi discovering his granny's maiden name is O'Shaughnessy and he wants to invoke a recent FIFA ruling that states "Messi can do whatever the hell he wants"

SwanVsDalton
15/07/2011, 12:33 PM
My money's on Messi discovering his granny's maiden name is O'Shaughnessy and he wants to invoke a recent FIFA ruling that states "Messi can do whatever the hell he wants"

No way man, that's crazy.

It's obviously about UEFA deciding the Hand Of Henry should be evened up by granting Ireland automatic passage to next year's Euro's.

Fixer82
15/07/2011, 12:45 PM

Andy Reid would be certainly a pleasant surprise.

Ireland wouldn't.

Connolly would be an unbelievable surprise.

So out, of those three I think Reid is most likely.
Can\t think of any newbies unless it's someone we didn't know had declared

SwanVsDalton
15/07/2011, 12:47 PM
Follow up from O'Raghallaigh

"1PM embargo (of sorts) on squad news. Let's say Trap is being quite the catholic. *might be more interesting to journos than fans..."

Think that's forgiveness for the last squad's no shows then?

SwanVsDalton
15/07/2011, 1:11 PM
Yup. From Dan McDonnell:

"James McCarthy, Marc Wilson, Darron Gibson included in Ireland squad for Croatia game. No place for Anthony Stokes."

"Leon Best/Caleb Folan also excluded. Keane/Doyle/Walters/Long/Cox/Keogh are the strikers."

greendeiseboy
15/07/2011, 1:20 PM
Any update at press conference on Ferguson

Eminence Grise
15/07/2011, 1:38 PM

By sat link from the Amalfi coast, Manuela to read out the squad list while wearing her favourite swimming cossie?

Sullivinho
15/07/2011, 1:45 PM
Yup. From Dan McDonnell:

"James McCarthy, Marc Wilson, Darron Gibson included in Ireland squad for Croatia game. No place for Anthony Stokes."

Over to you lads.

I doubt we'll ever see Stokes named in another Trap squad.

Fixer82
15/07/2011, 1:54 PM
Feel a tiny bit sorry for Stokes. At least he was more honest htan the others and didn't invent some phony injury
I mean I don't feel too sorry for him but it seems he's been punished for pulling out and other lads haven't been

Sullivinho
15/07/2011, 2:00 PM
It was an up-hill task for him before the "I'm too tired" business anyway considering the competition he had for a place.

Not sure what the 'pleasant surprise' (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101903:trapattoni-names-32-man-provisional-squad-to-face-croatia-&catid=1:senior-men&Itemid=8) is there. The inclusion of the previous absentees I s'pose?

tetsujin1979
15/07/2011, 2:06 PM
squad confirmed: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101903&catid=1&Itemid=8

Goalkeepers:
Shay Given
Keiren Westwood
David Forde

Defenders:
John O’Shea
Paul McShane
Kevin Foley
Seamus Coleman
Stephen Kelly
Stephen Ward
Richard Dunne
Sean St. Ledger
Darren O’Dea
Damien Delaney
Ciaran Clark
Kevin Kilbane

Midfielders:
Glenn Whelan
Darron Gibson
Keith Andrews
Keith Fahey
Andy Keogh
Aiden McGeady
Damien Duff
Stephen Hunt
Liam Lawrence
James McCarthy
Keith Treacy
Marc Wilson

Strikers:
Robbie Keane
Kevin Doyle
Jon Walters
Shane Long
Simon Cox

not sure if Keogh is a striker or not, that's the list straight from the page above

not sure about any pleasant surprise, unless it's the inclusion any one of Wilson, McCarthy, Walters, and Clark?

geysir
15/07/2011, 2:24 PM
I'd say the squad lacks unpleasant surprises.

Fixer82
15/07/2011, 2:27 PM
pleasant surprise is that Duff is not injured

SwanVsDalton
15/07/2011, 2:28 PM
Isn't McGeady injured? Suppose it's a big squad to compensate for injuries/pull-outs anyway.

cornflakes
15/07/2011, 2:55 PM
Any bets on who'll be the first to pull out with a dodgy excuse?

Fixer82
15/07/2011, 4:42 PM

James McCarthy? ;)

No I think Jamie Mc knows at this stage if he pulls out his international career could be over. Certainly under Trap anyway.

I predict some of the more senior players may pull out. The ones who have earned a rest if needed

CraftyToePoke
15/07/2011, 4:57 PM
Im happy with this squad, the most that could be hoped for was that this announcement would not cause a load more controversy, Trap has let bygones be bygones and hopefully the players in question will not let him down again. Perhaps Stokes being punished for being honest, as someone said, is the strange bit, but he needs a big season anyway, regularly starting key fixtures and scoring in them, if he does that, and I have a feeling he wont, maybe look at him again.

Sullivinho
15/07/2011, 4:59 PM

James McCarthy: Pre-season anxiety
Keith Treacy: Dislocated appendix
Liam Lawrence: Movie commitments
Darren O'Dea: Thought it was all a dream

The Legend
15/07/2011, 5:46 PM
Stokes is a cretin, he'll need to stop being one and have an amazing season to ever get capped again imo

Murfinator
15/07/2011, 5:48 PM
McCarthy, Wilson, Walters and Gibson are in the last chance saloon here. Any messing from them in this squad and I think they'll be cast aside for good and rightfully so.

DannyInvincible
15/07/2011, 7:13 PM
I thought Shane Ferguson might have been this "surprise".

What was the surprise then? The inclusion of McCarthy et al? Were they expected to be dropped or something? :confused:

It is my understanding that the FAI eventually accepted all claimed injuries as valid, at least for the public record anyway.

Paddy Garcia
15/07/2011, 7:27 PM
I'd say the squad lacks unpleasant surprises.

Can it be more unpleasant than Paul McShane.

AlaskaFox
15/07/2011, 7:27 PM
There were no surprises. It was just lies.

geysir
15/07/2011, 7:44 PM
Can it be more unpleasant than Paul McShane.
Unpleasant or otherwise, captain McShane's inclusion is not a surprise.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Paul+McShane+West+Ham+United+v+Hull+City+Premier+z wxJUpwygZcl.jpg

tommy_c12000
15/07/2011, 7:53 PM
Happy with the squad. Sensible approach taken by Trap, I commend him on that. Would have been nice to see Luke Chambers (who I think is in for a huge season under McClaren), Shane Ferguson and possibly Anthony Gerrard included. It beggars belief that Andy Keogh is still in the squad, he brings nothing to the table.

Stuttgart88
15/07/2011, 9:22 PM
No sympathy for Stokes whatsoever.

The rest is sensible and pragmatic management.

McShane deserves better than cheap shots after his efforts in May.

Yard of Pace
15/07/2011, 9:34 PM
Happy with the squad. Sensible approach taken by Trap, I commend him on that. Would have been nice to see Luke Chambers (who I think is in for a huge season under McClaren), Shane Ferguson and possibly Anthony Gerrard included. It beggars belief that Andy Keogh is still in the squad, he brings nothing to the table.

I wonder has Keogh ever missed a squad he's been called up for. I don't recall him ever having to pull out through injury. That's something he brings to the table.

tommy_c12000
15/07/2011, 9:51 PM
I wonder has Keogh ever missed a squad he's been called up for. I don't recall him ever having to pull out through injury. That's something he brings to the table.

Bringing something to the table implies that he contributes positively in some way to the Irish performances. He certainly has not. He is simply no where near good enough for international football

Yard of Pace
15/07/2011, 10:55 PM
Bringing something to the table implies that he contributes positively in some way to the Irish performances. He certainly has not. He is simply no where near good enough for international football

He's a decent striker, imo. He should never be played on the right wing. I don't mind him being in the squad, he never whinges and he's reliable.

(Disclaimer: He also used to be in my school)

the bear
16/07/2011, 12:19 AM
keogh has looked completley out of his depth playing for ireland. dunno why he keeps getting picked, but he's so far down the striker peckin order it doesn't really matter if he's there or not

SkStu
16/07/2011, 3:18 AM
He's a decent striker, imo. He should never be played on the right wing. I don't mind him being in the squad, he never whinges and he's reliable.

you own a school?!

SkStu
16/07/2011, 3:19 AM

you own a school?!

tommy_c12000
16/07/2011, 10:08 AM

Felt there was an alterior motive alrite. I agree with you that he should not be played right wing. He looks very uncomfortable playing there but fair play to him for giving everything he had each time Trap asks him to play there. To me he is a striker and thats it. However, Trap has him in the squad as a right midfielder option. Mick McCarthy also played him as a right winger for a lot of his Wolves appearances. He appeared to be finally establishing himself as a striker again at Cardiff where he did well initially grabbing a couple of crucial goals but then faded away with the competition from Chopra, Bothroyd and Bellamy. He has the ability to be a good championship striker and I hope he gets another chance. Don't think he'll do much with Wolves this season. He needs a move to a good championship side.

I admire him for his committment to the Irish team. Hats off. But IMO he is not an option for right midfield (considering McGeady, Coleman, Hunt, Duff, Lawrence, Fahey etc) and he doesn't deserve to be picked ahead of Keane, Cox, Walters, Long and Doyle. He simply has not shown enough in both club form and in international form.

Paddy Garcia
16/07/2011, 10:34 AM
McShane deserves better than cheap shots after his efforts in May.

The problem is that McShane saves his ****-ups (guaranteed a couple a game at elast) for when it really matters. Ultimately the performance against Italy (and the trickery in the earlier game) counts for nothing.

SwanVsDalton
16/07/2011, 12:04 PM
The problem is that McShane saves his ****-ups (guaranteed a couple a game at elast) for when it really matters. Ultimately the performance against Italy (and the trickery in the earlier game) counts for nothing.

When a player doesn't perform in a friendly, he rightly gets a bit of stick albeit tempered with the fact it was an non-competitive game. Likewise McShane deserves some plaudits for a couple of decent showings, but no one's going over board on the praise. Nonetheless, his performances do count for something.

Paddy Garcia
16/07/2011, 12:24 PM
Nonetheless, his performances do count for something.

Typically 2 or 3 points for the opposition.

SwanVsDalton
16/07/2011, 1:03 PM
Typically 2 or 3 points for the opposition.

http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/c/c8/Statlerandwaldorf.JPG

Kingdom
18/07/2011, 2:12 PM
What Keogh offers the squad is that he is the only similar striker to Robbie, before I love Cox came on board. Doyle, Long, Best Folan, were all considered the battering ram option

DannyInvincible
02/08/2011, 9:29 AM
This game is just over a week away now. It's sprung upon us and has been kind of overshadowed by the 2014 World Cup qualification group draw, the under-19s in Romania and Irish clubs in Europe, but when can we expect a bit of movement on some drop-outs already? Don't they know there are columns to be filled?