PDA

View Full Version : SPL Garbage

SwanVsDalton
11/07/2011, 11:40 AM
That's not really how football works, actually.

Don't get me wrong, I went to Fir Park to support Derry, and it was a super night, but to think Derry would have beat, say Hibs, 2-0 or 3-0, is a bit deluded.

I know that's not how football works. Was just fishing for a bite...

Anyway in 2005 Hibs were stuffed by Dnipro, in 2006 (the same year Derry wrecked Gretna and knocked out Gothenburg) they were beaten by Odense and a couple of years later they were shoved out of European competition 4-0 on aggregate against Elfsborg. Still sound deluded?

I don't necessarily think Derry would beat Hibs over two legs, now or then, but it's not that fanciful an idea.

And, besides, no need to speculate when there's evidence to hand - Gretna qualified for Europe representing Scotland and got tanked by and Irish side. No point mitigating it.

Hibs4Ever
11/07/2011, 11:48 AM
a couple of years later they were shoved out of European competition 4-0 on aggregate against Elfsborg

An Elfsborg team that was comfortably knocked out in the following round by St Pats

TiocfaidhArmani
11/07/2011, 11:58 AM
I know that's not how football works. Was just fishing for a bite...

So you're trolling? You're lucky you're not me or support Celtic, you'd be banned now.

I don't necessarily think Derry would beat Hibs over two legs, now or then, but it's not that fanciful an idea.

Would be a good game no doubt about it.

And, besides, no need to speculate when there's evidence to hand - Gretna qualified for Europe representing Scotland and got tanked by and Irish side. No point mitigating it.

They qualified as losing cup finalist. They were in the First Division they season they achieved this. Happy to set you straight.

SwanVsDalton
11/07/2011, 12:25 PM
So you're trolling? You're lucky you're not me or support Celtic, you'd be banned now.

Nah, it was simply banter. You just got overly defensive because your precious SPL was blasphemed against.

They qualified as losing cup finalist. They were in the First Division they season they achieved this. Happy to set you straight.

I'm aware of Gretna's emergence. I just don't care - they were thrashed, end of. Look, if it's any consolation I don't judge Scottish sides based on Gretna but it's not like they are such a wacky exception anyway. Outside the Obvious Two Scottish sides haven't exactly been tearing it up in Europe.

TiocfaidhArmani
11/07/2011, 1:43 PM
No trying to get a bite is trolling. Or so I'm told every time I do it. But as I said you're not me, so different rules apply to you. And, as a league, I don't care about the SPL. Do you read my posts? I went to your game in Scotland against Gretna to support Derry. I paid my £20 in like the rest to support an Irish team against an SPL team.

No they certainly don't tear but Europe, but the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen usually do not too bad and do better than LOI teams (although we couldn't get much worse). Aberdeen drew with Bayern Munich a few years ago. But Scotland is a country with 5 million people. Having two teams that both got to a UEFA Cup final in a decade is not bad. Can you tell me a country with only 5 million people who did the same?

People, when talking about Scotland, forget how small it is because it had punched above its weight for so long.

gspain
11/07/2011, 2:53 PM
I did an exercise afew months back that calculated our coefficient and Scotland's (minus Rangers and Celtic) and ours was higher in the past 5 years.

Rangers and Celtic are well ahead of our leading clubs. A couple of years ago I would have ranked our leading clubs ahead of the rest of scotland but probably not now. We will probably slip down the rankings again. However the real test will be if we meet.

TiocfaidhArmani
11/07/2011, 2:59 PM
I did an exercise afew months back that calculated our coefficient and Scotland's (minus Rangers and Celtic) and ours was higher in the past 5 years.

Rangers and Celtic are well ahead of our leading clubs. A couple of years ago I would have ranked our leading clubs ahead of the rest of scotland but probably not now. We will probably slip down the rankings again. However the real test will be if we meet.

Null point, you only have two teams outside of Celtic/Rangers that play in Europe from Scotland so of course LOI have amassed more coefficient points - they play more games and have more teams in Europe when you take away the two Glasgow clubs. Scottish team play less games because they don't go in as early in the tournaments (no Scottish team has even played yet) so they also have less chance of winning games than LOI. So really it's a null point.

The thing is Celtic and Rangers are there and take away so much support from other teams and in such a small country they do well to get the crowds they do. LOI teams would kill to get the 10-12,000 Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen get. Say what you want about Scotland, but at least their people support their own league. Irish peoples attitudes pee me off no end.

cornflakes
11/07/2011, 3:36 PM
Say what you want about Scotland, but at least their people support their own league. Irish peoples attitudes pee me off no end.

Says a Celtic fan

TiocfaidhArmani
11/07/2011, 4:21 PM
Look at my avatar. I've supported Shels through thick and thin - and believe me - the last 5/6 years have been very thin.

gspain
11/07/2011, 5:09 PM
Null point, you only have two teams outside of Celtic/Rangers that play in Europe from Scotland so of course LOI have amassed more coefficient points - they play more games and have more teams in Europe when you take away the two Glasgow clubs. Scottish team play less games because they don't go in as early in the tournaments (no Scottish team has even played yet) so they also have less chance of winning games than LOI. So really it's a null point.

The thing is Celtic and Rangers are there and take away so much support from other teams and in such a small country they do well to get the crowds they do. LOI teams would kill to get the 10-12,000 Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen get. Say what you want about Scotland, but at least their people support their own league. Irish peoples attitudes pee me off no end.

It allowed for the fewer teams so it was divided by the number of teams. Scotland had 6 teams for example in 09/10 - Motherwell, Falkirk, Hearts & aberdeen 5 last year and 4 other years.

Only one of our clubs have played so far. Dundee United start in the next round as do Bohs and Hearts start in the same round as Sligo.

You are correct about Scottish people supporting their own league. I wish Irish football would support our teams instead of supporting British teams know anyone that supports a British team????

TiocfaidhArmani
11/07/2011, 5:19 PM
Scotland had 6 teams for example in 09/10 - Motherwell, Falkirk, Hearts & aberdeen 5 last year and 4 other years.

Scotland has four European places. Two Champions League, Europa through third place in league and one through cup winners. Two of those is always taken up by Celtic or Rangers.

You are correct about Scottish people supporting their own league. I wish Irish football would support our teams instead of supporting British teams know anyone that supports a British team????

I know plenty who support only teams located in Britain and not their own. I'm not one of 'em.

Charlie Darwin
11/07/2011, 5:30 PM
I've heard managers of non-Old Firm teams in Scotland bemoan the buses that leave their cities every weekend to take the locals to Ibrox and Parkhead. It's not a uniquely Irish phenomenon, supporting the big teams, but we just do it so much better than anyone else.

BonnieShels
11/07/2011, 5:37 PM
Nah, it was simply banter. You just got overly defensive because your precious SPL was blasphemed against.

The irony of a WUMmer accusing you of WUMming.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/humor/pictures/2006/irony_1.JPG

TiocfaidhArmani
11/07/2011, 5:38 PM
I've heard managers of non-Old Firm teams in Scotland bemoan the buses that leave their cities every weekend to take the locals to Ibrox and Parkhead. It's not a uniquely Irish phenomenon, supporting the big teams, but we just do it so much better than anyone else.

Bit different, they're still supporting teams from their own country. Anyone of Irish descent in Scotland, well most of 'em, support the club because of its identity is closest to theirs and this has been passed down through families down through the generations. I don't expect anyone on here to understand that, but that's how it's been and will always be.

All things considered with two clubs getting such a large chunk of the pie, and Scotland being so small in terms of population, it's a wonder that if a club in the SPL were to get the average support Shamrock Rovers gets it's seen as a poor sized support, yet some Rovers fans would have you think they're in Europe's elite the way they talk about themselves because they get 4k a game :D

TiocfaidhArmani
11/07/2011, 5:40 PM
The irony of a WUMmer accusing you of WUMming.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/humor/pictures/2006/irony_1.JPG

You'll need to explain that one out to me, you've lost me now!

SkStu
11/07/2011, 6:02 PM
You'll need to explain that one out to me, you've lost me now!

its like a ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

Hibs4Ever
11/07/2011, 6:10 PM
Bit different, they're still supporting teams from their own country

It's still glory hunting though and not supporting their local team. Have met the Aberdeen Celtc supporters club a few times. Born and bred Scots who just supported Celtc cause they win things

. Anyone of Irish descent in Scotland, well most of 'em, support the club because of its identity is closest to theirs and this has been passed down through families down through the generations. I don't expect anyone on here to understand that, but that's how it's been and will always be.

Then they should support Hibs. More Irish history in 1 blade of grass at Easter Road than all of Celtc. But that would get in the way of the glory hunting in fairness

Charlie Darwin
11/07/2011, 6:16 PM
Bit different, they're still supporting teams from their own country. Anyone of Irish descent in Scotland, well most of 'em, support the club because of its identity is closest to theirs and this has been passed down through families down through the generations. I don't expect anyone on here to understand that, but that's how it's been and will always be.
I can understand that but Hibs have every bit as much of an Irish heritage as Celtic do. Do they have anything close to the same support around the counties of Scotland? I mean it's fine to support the team that matches your own heritage but there are several such options and it appears most people plump for the one that wins the league all the time.

PartySaint
11/07/2011, 10:17 PM
Scotland has four European places. Two Champions League, Europa through third place in league and one through cup winners. Two of those is always taken up by Celtic or Rangers.

I know plenty who support only teams located in Britain and not their own. I'm not one of 'em.

Scotland only get 1 team in the Champions League

TiocfaidhArmani
12/07/2011, 2:33 PM
Scotland only get 1 team in the Champions League

This year yes, but not last year or next year. I think it's back to one straight through and one in the qualifiers.

TiocfaidhArmani
12/07/2011, 2:45 PM
Then they should support Hibs. More Irish history in 1 blade of grass at Easter Road than all of Celtc. But that would get in the way of the glory hunting in fairness

Not a hope does it. A support that boos the Solider's Song and the Field's? I've been there and heard it. Hibs gave up their Irish identity and tried to have our tri-colour taken down in the 50's. Hibs are an ex-Irish club, don't delude yourself.

I can understand that but Hibs have every bit as much of an Irish heritage as Celtic do. Do they have anything close to the same support around the counties of Scotland? I mean it's fine to support the team that matches your own heritage but there are several such options and it appears most people plump for the one that wins the league all the time.

Nope, don't let our Hibbee friend here fool you. The vast majority of Hibs fans are pretty much ashamed of their Irish past. It's gone, bar a tiny minority. They took down the Irish flag, tried to have ours taken down and boo when Celtic fans in Easter Road sing Irish songs (not IRA songs). Irish people always come out with the Hibs stuff and obviously haven't been to a game there. It's a myth from a time long, long past.

I can't get his thing about Hibs having a bigger Irish heritage than Celtic? How have they? They were formed before Celtic, but that's it. Celtic have flown the flag from day one to today (green flag with harp before the Free State was formed). Have always sang Irish songs. Was set-up primarily to feed the poor Irish in Glasgow. What did Hibs do for the poor Irish? Resisted attempts to take down the Irish flag by threatening to withdraw from the league and become a gaelic football team and won, despite Hibs chairman's best efforts. And to this day the club and fans fly Irish flags, sing Irish songs and have given hundreds of thousands of pounds to Irish charities through the Charity Fund. Lastly, one nice touch is Celtic actively promote Famine Memorial Day on their jersey every season and collect outside the stadium selling their badges for them. No other club in Britain, or even Ireland, does this.

Celtic is a great institution and is the pride of Ireland. It's Scottish, but it's also equally Irish. Hibs?

Can I just say as well, when I started to support Celtic as a boy Rangers were racking up 9 titles in-a-row and we finishing fourth and fifth in the league in an old ramshackle stadium. There was no glory in supporting Celtic at that time for people in my age bracket, and I'd be supporting them just the same if they were still like that, the same as I've stayed supporting Shels through the past few years. Again though, people on here make prejudgements about people they know little about.

Hibs4Ever
12/07/2011, 2:47 PM
The post above proves without any shadow of a doubt you have no clue what you are talking about. Embarrassing

Lim till i die
12/07/2011, 2:51 PM
http://www.portalversus.com.br/wp-content/uploads/michael-jackson-popcorn.gif

nigel-harps1954
12/07/2011, 2:55 PM
Not a hope does it. A support that boos the Solider's Song and the Field's? I've been there and heard it. Hibs gave up their Irish identity and tried to have our tri-colour taken down in the 50's. Hibs are an ex-Irish club, don't delude yourself.

Nope, don't let our Hibbee friend here fool you. The vast majority of Hibs fans are pretty much ashamed of their Irish past. It's gone, bar a tiny minority. They took down the Irish flag, tried to have ours taken down and boo when Celtic fans in Easter Road sing Irish songs (not IRA songs). Irish people always come out with the Hibs stuff and obviously haven't been to a game there. It's a myth from a time long, long past.

I can't get his thing about Hibs having a bigger Irish heritage than Celtic? How have they? They were formed before Celtic, but that's it. Celtic have flown the flag from day one to today (green flag with harp before the Free State was formed). Have always sang Irish songs. Was set-up primarily to feed the poor Irish in Glasgow. What did Hibs do for the poor Irish? Resisted attempts to take down the Irish flag by threatening to withdraw from the league and become a gaelic football team and won, despite Hibs chairman's best efforts. And to this day the club and fans fly Irish flags, sing Irish songs and have given hundreds of thousands of pounds to Irish charities through the Charity Fund. Lastly, one nice touch is Celtic actively promote Famine Memorial Day on their jersey every season and collect outside the stadium selling their badges for them. No other club in Britain, or even Ireland, does this.

Celtic is a great institution and is the pride of Ireland. It's Scottish, but it's also equally Irish. Hibs?

Can I just say as well, when I started to support Celtic as a boy Rangers were racking up 9 titles in-a-row and we finishing fourth and fifth in the league in an old ramshackle stadium. There was no glory in supporting Celtic at that time for people in my age bracket, and I'd be supporting them just the same if they were still like that, the same as I've stayed supporting Shels through the past few years. Again though, people on here make prejudgements about people they know little about.

Lol, You just made me giggle ;P

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2011, 2:57 PM

How..?

TiocfaidhArmani
12/07/2011, 3:03 PM
How..?

I just explained that, in great detail.

Lim till i die
12/07/2011, 3:10 PM

You just waffled a load of waffle none of which even came close to backing up "Celtic is a great institution and is the pride of Ireland. It's Scottish, but it's also equally Irish."

Equally Irish?? :bulgy:

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2011, 3:10 PM

So they are Equally Irish cos they fly an Irish Flag and sing songs.

Celtic are a Scottish club 100%.

Hibs4Ever
12/07/2011, 3:20 PM

Nope, you embarrassed yourself again, in great detail

TiocfaidhArmani
12/07/2011, 3:35 PM
Nope, you embarrassed yourself again, in great detail

Your opinion, but you've given nothing to back up your own daft comments. You see you can waffle to others but you know I've been to your dump of a ground so you can't feed your spin about Hibs past to me, like you can to others on here.

SkStu
12/07/2011, 3:41 PM
seriously, answer the question - how is Celtic Scottish but equally Irish?

Does it pay a portion, half maybe, of its corporate taxes to Ireland?

osarusan
12/07/2011, 3:44 PM
Celtic is a Scottish club, just like Hibs and every other club in Scotland. They are located in Scotland and play in Scotland. The notion that they are even a miniscule fraction of a percentage Irish is blatant nonsense. I'm surprised people are responding to this guy's feeble bait.

TiocfaidhArmani
12/07/2011, 3:45 PM
seriously, answer the question - how is Celtic Scottish but equally Irish?

Does it pay a portion, half maybe, of its corporate taxes to Ireland?

They give more to Ireland's charities and social programmes in Ireland than any other club in Ireland.

Celtic is a Scottish club, just like Hibs and every other club in Scotland. They are located in Scotland and play in Scotland. The notion that they are even a miniscule fraction of a percentage Irish is blatant nonsense. I'm surprised people are responding to this guy's feeble bait.

It's not bait, it's my held opinions, the same as I'm sure you've heard from other like-minded people. If people don't want to debate the matter - don't.

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2011, 3:53 PM
Your opinion, but you've given nothing to back up your own daft comments. You see you can waffle to others but you know I've been to your dump of a ground so you can't feed your spin about Hibs past to me, like you can to others on here.

Whats you being to Easter Road got to do with anything?

Ive been there a few times too.

SkStu
12/07/2011, 3:55 PM
They give more to Ireland's charities and social programmes in Ireland than any other club in Ireland.

do you have some facts and figures to back that up?

nigel-harps1954
12/07/2011, 3:55 PM

I gave a few quid to a charity in Ethiopia this one time...I guess I'm part Ethiopian? No?

TiocfaidhArmani
12/07/2011, 4:45 PM
I gave a few quid to a charity in Ethiopia this one time...I guess I'm part Ethiopian? No?

he asked what they contribute in taxes, they contribute in other ways.

do you have some facts and figures to back that up?

Go and read up on the Celtic Charity Fund, they won an award for a programme they run in Dublin's inner city.

Whats you being to Easter Road got to do with anything?

Ive been there a few times too.

Have you been there and seen they display open hostility to another set of fans expressing their Irish identity? The same mob that try and say they're Irish heritage is greater than the clubs fans they're showing hostility to for singing Irish songs.

Réiteoir
12/07/2011, 5:30 PM

http://bum.net/pics/facepalms.jpg x ∞

Basically the quoted post makes less sense than a Heart of Midlothian Press Release...

I'm starting a movement here and now - Genoa were, are, and always will be an English club - as they proudly wear the Cross of St George on the crest on their shirts and they were originally founded by Englishmen as a Cricket, Athletics and Football Club.

Since the club was set up to represent England abroad - through sporting and charitable works, the original shirts worn by the organisation were white, the same colour as the England national team shirt.

And true to their English heritage, sporting and charitable works - Italians were not permitted to join as it was a British sporting club abroad.

Forget the Premier League - Serie A is where it's at - especially as the League has an English Club playing in it.

Now - where can I get a jersey and season ticket that I'll only use a couple of times a year for them?

GO GENOA GO!