PDA

View Full Version : Foot.ie Draft Cup - Quarter Finals Poll 2 - Fixer82 vs Metrostars

gustavo
12/07/2011, 12:36 PM
Fixer82

http://www.footballuser.com/Formations/2011/07/154568_Ireland.jpg

MetroStars

http://www.footballuser.com/Formations/2011/07/154546_Ireland.jpg

Sullivinho
12/07/2011, 2:29 PM
Metro's style is impetuous. His defense is impregnable. He's just ferocious.

Metrostars
12/07/2011, 3:08 PM
Yes, my defense is bullet proof. McGrath and Hurley will stop everything coming up the middle. On top of that I have a central midfield that went toe to toe with the best of the best in the 2002 WC against the likes of Germany and Spain. I also have players who have scored in 3 different world cups in Sheedy(1990), Houghton(1994) and Holland(2002). No other team in the draft can boast this. Also I have 3 players who have scored against England - Curtis(1957), Houghton(1988) and Sheedy(1990). Also, Carey was captain of the team that beat England in 1949.

boovidge
12/07/2011, 3:24 PM
metrostars for the cup

SkStu
12/07/2011, 7:13 PM
cant vote for a team with Steven Ireland in it.

Though i suspect that theworm may vote for Fixers team... ;)

Fixer82
12/07/2011, 8:05 PM
I'm screwed aren't I? ;)

Sullivinho
12/07/2011, 8:32 PM
Unlucky coming up against that team Fixer, they'll take some beating.

BonnieShels
12/07/2011, 10:02 PM
I was thinking Metrostars got jammy with some decisions.

SwanVsDalton
12/07/2011, 11:27 PM
I was thinking Metrostars got jammy with some decisions.

Or he was cheating. ;)

Definitely a tough draw. *mindgames* Had Metrostars pegged as the favourites from the start *mindgames*. Still Fixer, reckon you could've picked up a couple more votes if it wasn't for the controversial Stevie Mancface pick.

Fixer82
13/07/2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah I still didn't exactly know at that stage how this worked so I went for international goals to games ratio. Didn't realise it'd be a poll thing.
Still, I think my team is slightly better than the 6% vote it's gotten.
Potentially stronger centre midfield and strikeforce but McGrath and co. in defence along with two Irish legends on the wings (I've only the one) are rock-solid for the Metro-fella.

All Metrostars would have to do to stop McAteer having a good game would be to stick Stephen Cluxton on the bench and he'd psyche him out every time he tries to go on a run up the wing

Murfinator
13/07/2011, 12:53 AM
Could see this game going with Metros superior side dominating in every aspect, peppering shots in one after another and Given keeping Fixer level. With the likes of Quinn and McAteer theres always the possibility of something out of nothing and if Connolly and Ireland turned up (figuratively and literally respectively) and we're talking about a 23 year old Kennedy theres a chance the side could be dangerous, but its a real hail mary sort of team.

Fixer82
13/07/2011, 3:20 AM
You're forgetting, for all Matt and Mark's tenacity in the centre of the pitch you'll have Ireland and Sheridan pulling the strings and spraying the ball around at will, picking pin-perfect passes out of nothing. Trigger will gallop up and down the right wing all day long too making short change of Sheedy's lack of pace ;)

WexCar
13/07/2011, 4:23 AM
its quite clear Metro has had a gameplan from the start and he's sticking to it. He's obviously going for the nostalgia vote as anyone under 30 would never have seen over half his team play and therefore can't make a fair comparison with Fixer's players, and as we all know memories of the good old days age well and will always outshine what we have today.

In summary I voted for Fixer because how can I vote for a team where I've never seen 6 of the players play, 3 I've seen in the twilight of their careers, which only leaves Holland & Kinsella left for me to judge his team on.

BonnieShels
13/07/2011, 6:37 AM
And 11 v 2 in that case is a no-brainer.

Tried nostalgia with newbies in my team. And it failed to garner support.

Metrostars
13/07/2011, 1:51 PM
It wasn't intentional for me to go nostalgia, I just picked players who have proven it for club or country e.g. I'm a Man Utd fan so I've read a lot about the old players so I knew about Carey who was the captain of Busby's first United team, Dunne won a European Cup.

Obviously I did have a strategy. That was to get players who were famous for specific performances i.e. Houghton, Sheedy, even Kinsella/Holland to an extent in 2002 when they had to pick up the pieces in midfield after Saipan. I have to say I think I got very lucky with two of my picks, McGrath who I'm still surprised the 3 people before me didn't pick him. Also, Charlie Hurley and Sullivinho(I think?) not realising the formation rules and then noone else picked him for a while after that. The only punt I took was Curtis which was my last pick anyway and there were slim pickings by that stage.

boovidge
13/07/2011, 2:38 PM
its quite clear Metro has had a gameplan from the start and he's sticking to it. He's obviously going for the nostalgia vote as anyone under 30 would never have seen over half his team play and therefore can't make a fair comparison with Fixer's players, and as we all know memories of the good old days age well and will always outshine what we have today.

In summary I voted for Fixer because how can I vote for a team where I've never seen 6 of the players play, 3 I've seen in the twilight of their careers, which only leaves Holland & Kinsella left for me to judge his team on.

Carey is still a legendary figure at Manchester United, their post-war captain under Matt Busby one of the most renowned managers in football history. Compare that to anyone in fixer's back four for example. I don't need to have watched both play to know that Carey is a better player than Jeff Kenna. There's a book on Hurley entitled "The Best Centre Half the World Has Ever Seen." He's still a Sunderland hero decades after he played. I don't need to have seen him in the flesh to make a guess that he was possibly a little better than Sean St Ledger.

Fixer82
13/07/2011, 5:27 PM
carey is still a legendary figure at manchester united, their post-war captain under matt busby one of the most renowned managers in football history. Compare that to anyone in fixer's back four for example. I don't need to have watched both play to know that carey is a better player than jeff kenna. There's a book on hurley entitled "the best centre half the world has ever seen." he's still a sunderland hero decades after he played. i don't need to have seen him in the flesh to make a guess that he was possibly a little better than sean st ledger.

never!!!!

OwlsFan
13/07/2011, 5:43 PM
Ray Houghton - match winner.