PDA

View Full Version : "Youth will see us through,” says Duns’ boss

Alexa
27/06/2004, 4:49 PM
Dundela manager Mervyn Bell is keeping faith in his young squad as his side embarks on their first season in the first division next season.

After losing many of his experienced players at the start of last season Bell put together a young squad and his hard work was rewarded when the Duns gained promotion after finishing runners up to Coagh United in last season’s Second Division.

“It was those young players that put us where we are today so I have confidence that they will keep us up next season,” commented Bell.

That doesn’t mean though that the Dundela supremo isn’t looking to add experience to his squad, as he went on to say; “Like every manager I’m hoping to add a few experienced players to the squad.

“I have a few in mind who I’m hoping to talk to in the near future but it wont be easy competing with the top sides for there signature.

“I already have a great bunch of players to work with next season and if no-one did come in then I believe those players can do what is expected of them and that’s to consolidate our position in the First Division next season.

“That will be my aim and the team’s aim next season – not too many have faith in us to stay up but we hope to prove them all wrong.”

With teams like Glenavon, Bangor, Carrick Rangers, Armagh City and Ballyclare Comrades all in next season’s First Division, Bell knows how tough it’s going to be.

“We know this league will be a lot tougher than the Second Division. Teams like Glenavon, Bangor and Carrick will all have great squads but I’m not one to back out of a challenge and neither will the players, so we will give it our all.

“It will be great to see sides like Glenavon back at the Hen Run after a long absence. The last time we played them as far as I can remember was nearly fifty years ago when we beat them to win the Irish Cup.

“We showed though in last season’s Daily Mirror trophy that we can compete with the best teams in this league and on our day we will fear no-one.”

So what odds would Mervyn put on Dundela playing Glenavon in the team’s 50th anniversary of winning the Irish Cup against the Lurgan Blues in the final this season.

“I guess I can only dream of that happening again, he said. “The days of junior teams competing with the top sides in the country are now gone although surprises can happen,”

So does Mervyn have ambition of following Loughgall into senior football if his side were to upset the odds like their Mid Ulster opponents last season?

“At this moment in time we have no ambition of moving into the premier league, he said. “To get our ground up to standard would cost a lot of money; money that a junior team like us just does not have.

“I’m not saying it’s not our ambition for years to come but at this moment in time you have to be realistic and at this time we would not be able to compete with the Linfields and Glentorans of this world.

“Our aim is to try and play at the highest level in junior football we can and try and win the major junior trophies like we have on numerous occasions in the past.”