PDA

View Full Version : Pros or Amateurs

ccfcman
14/11/2001, 6:10 PM
Are city a proffesional outfit like $hel$ and boez or are trhey still amateurs?Very curious about this actually

Neil
14/11/2001, 6:13 PM
City have 6 professionals:
Devine, Cahill, Mulligan, O'Grady, O'Flynn and ?

Citymark
14/11/2001, 6:46 PM
I think Greg O'Halloran was also a full time pro, I know he is on loan with Longford but is still on CCFC's books.

Some of the youngsters may also be offered pro contracts in the next few weeks.

Neil
14/11/2001, 9:42 PM
Originally posted by Citymark
Some of the youngsters may also be offered pro contracts in the next few weeks.
Is this from the horses mouth? It would be great to have Carey, Bennett, O'Rourke, Horgan and O'Brien training every day alongside the 6 pro's.

Troy.McClure
15/11/2001, 8:59 AM
Before his injury, Coughlan was full time as well. Im not sure if he is now though.
I think that its unfair to call the team amateurs and Shels Pros, I think that city are semi pro's & to a lesser degree, Shels are too.

Neil
15/11/2001, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
I think that its unfair to call the team amateurs
Good point. City are a semi-pro team and have full-timers and part-timers playing for them. But even the like of Noel Hartigan are getting handy money (I've heard in the region of £150 a week).

The Board too often use the "but we're only amateurs" line as an excuse for doing nothing. At the last Supporters Club meeting Michael O'Leary used this line in response to many questions, questions about advertising and promoting the club, hanging posters, the jersey, chance of winning the league...

Maybe if he stopped thinking 'like an amateur'...?

pete
15/11/2001, 10:27 AM
Colin P & O'Rourke are doing training everyday out on Tramore on that FAS course so they fulltime although not on fulltime wage.

Coughlan was fulltime last year I believe, don't know about this year.

All eL clubs are pro although only some fulltime pro setups.

Pat Dolan will always tell you his players are pros but just some have other jobs too.

I think city training 2 nights a week is far too little as fully amateur setups might train more than that. Saw on the tv that Dublin City train 4 times a week!

While we may have a reasonably professional setup on the pitch CCFC are definitely amateur in ever respect off the pitch. :(

Troy.McClure
15/11/2001, 5:25 PM
I think that we have a lot to learn from the likes of $hels, Bohs & Rovers OFF the pitch. They have the best set-ups as regard to fund-rasing. A club like City could never survive what Rovers have done for the last 10 years. Saying that though, the costs for Dublin teams are always going to be lower for away games so they can afford to get more Pros. :(

ccfcman
17/11/2001, 8:12 PM
ya but we've nothing to learn off their fans.for instance shams scum beating up a 14 year old kid,boez rippin the ****e out of the ladies jacks last season :mad:

Peadar
18/11/2001, 3:25 AM
I think that we have a lot to learn from the likes of $hels, Bohs & Rovers OFF the pitch. They have the best set-ups as regard to fund-rasing.

Bohs had to get supporters to put up IR£9,000 to pay for the season review video of their league and cup double.
Both Bohs and Shels have bars in their grounds and this is certainly one place where City lose out on revenue. Where would Shels be if they lost the lease on Tolka and had to fundraise for a new ground? I agree though with the point that others have made that City should have more social nights. As well as raising money this could help create more of a community sense to the club. It can't be denied that GAA clubs exist in the smallest villages because of the resource that is community spirit.
My vision would be to level the shed and build a stand the full width of the pitch, which would incorporate a bar/function room.
With any luck the Horseshoe Inn would be leveled too :D

A club like City could never survive what Rovers have done for the last 10 years.

Cork City are no different to Rovers except that we've changed our name after a few failures. The current Rovers club is a very different one to its predecessor of the same name. Just like we survived the Bishopstown affair but continued to operate under the name "Cork City FC".
Corporate investment is building the ground in Tallagh, not the success of Shamrock Rovers as a robust club.

A face
18/11/2001, 5:48 PM
"My vision would be to level the shed and build a stand the full width of the pitch, which would incorporate a bar/function room.
With any luck the Horseshoe Inn would be leveled too"

That is a long way off, but if there were a gym and bar open to the public under a stand where the shed is, this would bring in continual revenue. Also astroturf pitches bring in alot of revenue. All are very good avenues to be looked at, a new stand, it would also provide the club with a post box and an office i would imagine, basic stuff when running a business .... but we are forgetting i think that the ground belongs to the Munster Senior League and the Horse is "Neil's" the barman.

If there were a new stand though, it should be the same as the Forde stand and continued down and around the corner by the club shop.