PDA

View Full Version : Rovers' Polka at Tolka (ratings)

Sheridan
25/06/2004, 12:55 PM
Totally unacceptable. There seems to be a discernible principle at work here, though; if we play well in one game, we have to play correspondingly badly in the next. Since we were excellent against Bohs, we had to be abysmal last night.

To call it schoolboy defending would be an actionable insult to the DDSL. Rocky and Giller are the ones I feel sorry for (apart from myself, of course.) To put so much effort into getting things right off the pitch and be rewarded with sh*t like that must feel like a kick in the teeth.

Brendan Kennedy: 5
Started well, but chiefly responsible for the second goal. Confidence shattered thereafter, even the simplest cross seemed to discommode him.

Pierre Ennis: 4
Wasted a huge amount of good crossing opportunites in the first half. After two long spells in the first team (and despite some resonable performances) one can only draw the conclusion that he's just not good enough.

Keith Foy: 5
Physique and gait remarkably similar to Maradona. Shame nothing else is. Gave away the first goal by dawdling, stupidly, in possession. Strangely enough, he did do some good work in attack.

Wes Byrne: 5
Playing out of position can only excuse so much. Did slightly better in the more familiar role of left-back late on.

Ben Whelehan: 3
How can you follow a performance like Ben's at Dalymount with abject incompetence like that? That said, we shouldn't allow our understandable desire to find a scapegoat to cloud the fact that almost our entire team was spineless, gutless and clueless for the last forty minutes.

Cathal O'Connor: 4.5
The only indication of impending disaster in an otherwise positive first half was Cotttsy's uncharacteristically poor display. The entire game (potentially the entire season) could have been turned on its head had Cottsy finished a brilliant City move instead of miscontrolling in front of goal.

Killian Brennan: 7
Not his best game, but positively god-like compared to some of his team-mates. Quick feet and superb first touch mark him out as a potentially special player.

Jason Colwell: 6.5
Not bad for the night that was in it.

Dom Tierney: 6
Again, not the worst culprit by any means. Fizzed a fine shot just wide at 0-0. Doesn't have game-changing abilities, though.

Gary O'Neill: 6.5
Class evident despite difficult circumstances. Some of his passes would have drawn grasps of admiration at Euro 2004. Touch deserted him in the second half, and Gary was by no means immune to the general torpor that afflicted City after the break.

Philip Hughes: 6.5
Always looked a threat, but invariably attempted one half-turn too many. Why is he so afraid to give the ball a proper whack?

SUBS

Chris Deans: 7
Within minutes of coming on for his City debut, the teenager was dishing out a severe and protracted bollocking to one of his most senior team-mates. He's certainly got the balls, but has he got the talent to back it up? Our first glimpse of Chris suggests that he has.

Tony O'Connor: 6
When, at 0-3 down, the manager openly admits to sending on defenders just to keep the score down, you know you're in trouble. Toccy wasn't brilliant by any means, but must surely start at Turner's Cross.

Dave McGill: 6
Unlucky to find himself relegated to the bench after impressing against Bohs, Dave wasn't on long enough last night to do anything worthwhile. Still, at least he didn't get sent-off.

DRUMMERS

Welsh Kevin: 9 - Man of the Match
An outstanding debut from the big lad, the only real contender for Man of the Match. Like Philly Hughes, however, Kevin shouldn't be afraid to give it a proper whack.

drummerboy
25/06/2004, 1:01 PM
Doesn't anybody reckon O'Neill will see the season out with DC. I reckon there are a few clubs having a look at him. I heard one Scottish club in particular are interested.

Sheridan
25/06/2004, 1:07 PM
Doesn't anybody reckon O'Neill will see the season out with DC. I reckon there are a few clubs having a look at him. I heard one Scottish club in particular are interested.
It's common knowledge that Partick put in a bid for him this week, but it didn't come anywhere close to our valuation. No Irish club can afford him, he has a two-year contract and we'd want serious money to let him go.

drummerboy
25/06/2004, 1:18 PM
Don't you think you'd be better off selling him now, when you can get a decent price for him. If you are relagated, which is, I'm afraid looking likely, you won't be able to afford his wages next season, and will have to let him go at a knock-down price. BTW how much are you looking for him?

GavinZac
25/06/2004, 1:28 PM
Don't you think you'd be better off selling him now, when you can get a decent price for him. If you are relagated, which is, I'm afraid looking likely, you won't be able to afford his wages next season, and will have to let him go at a knock-down price. BTW how much are you looking for him?

the extravagant price of €12k

Sheridan
25/06/2004, 1:47 PM
Don't you think you'd be better off selling him now, when you can get a decent price for him. If you are relagated, which is, I'm afraid looking likely, you won't be able to afford his wages next season, and will have to let him go at a knock-down price.
I'm sure he'll be on his way if we get relegated, but you have to ask if it's worth abandoning any hope of staying up by selling Gary (and the financial implications of that decision) for a short-term injection of cash.

BTW how much are you looking for him?
I'm obviously not party to those decisions, but from the vibes I'm picking up I'd be surprised if we let him go for less than six figures.

drummerboy
25/06/2004, 2:55 PM
I'm sure he'll be on his way if we get relegated, but you have to ask if it's worth abandoning any hope of staying up by selling Gary (and the financial implications of that decision) for a short-term injection of cash.

I'm obviously not party to those decisions, but from the vibes I'm picking up I'd be surprised if we let him go for less than six figures.

I'd say Rocky would bite our hand off anyone willing to offer €30k

Sheridan
25/06/2004, 3:00 PM
I'd say Rocky would bite our hand off anyone willing to offer €30k
He wouldn't and hasn't.

kempes
25/06/2004, 3:49 PM
G.O.N. was with Bohs, didnt do much was released, went to Waterford didnt do much, signs for Dublin Pity scores a few goals and now hes worth 100k. I dont so!

The only place he is worth 100k is in Rocky the spoofers head.

Yiz would be lucky to get 25K STG for him. For a team / club / marketing entity with about 100 home fans / clients / customers, thats ... lemme do the maths ...

20 (games) *15 (ticket) = 300 * 100 (fans) = 30K

erm ... about 1.5 seasons of gate money up front. What club would turn that down?

I doubt Continuity Home Farm would!

koh

Kempes

bigfoot
25/06/2004, 4:08 PM
Git Deans is quality and you will see more bollickings like last night in the future! For a 19 year old he has the head of a 36 year old! Sorry Toccy!!!