PDA

View Full Version : Breen fit for clash with Iran

jbrazil
14/11/2001, 6:26 PM
Gary Breen was passed fit by Mick McCarthy after the Republic of Ireland's final training session - this at the match venue, the Azadi Stadium.

www.soccercentral.ie

jbrazil
14/11/2001, 6:29 PM
i dont know what to make of this news. i personally prefer cunningham. breen played fairly poorly in the 1st leg.

pete
14/11/2001, 6:43 PM
I think Breen played quiet well in the Holland & Cyprus games but was caught out very badly when Karini (spelling?) turned easily inside him on saturday.

Our defenders should get exposed so easily tomorrow though as the midfield will be lined up in front of them.

I don't belive McCarthy for a minute with his "we will try to win game speech". Too many times in the past have we sat back due to McCarthys orders or not. I think Roy Keane would have been the players to ensure that didn't happen.

James
14/11/2001, 9:54 PM
more from ireland.com

14/11/01: Steve Staunton and Gary Breen are reported to have passed fitness tests and should be ready to face Iran in tomorrow’s crucial World Cup play-off second leg.

The participation of the two centre backs had been in doubt with the duo carrying injuries, but both underwent fitness tests and trained with the rest of the squad in the Azadi Stadium in Tehran this evening.

Breen went over on an ankle during yesterday’s training session, aggravating an old injury, but is believed to have recovered sufficiently to take his place in the heart of the Ireland defence alongside Staunton.

Staunton, in line to captain the Republic of Ireland in the absence of Roy Keane, is also said to have shaken off the back problem sustained in Saturday’s first leg.

Niall Quinn also joined the squad in the stadium but it is unclear whether the striker has been deemed fit enough to play. Mick McCarthy has delayed announcing his starting line-up until tomorrow afternoon.