PDA

View Full Version : England out!!!

Condex
24/06/2004, 9:58 PM
Not the right place to post thuis, but what the hell a reason to celebrate.

Was on a pub in South London with a bunch of English yobs, every Porutgese player and ref was a cu*t according to them, very aggressive.

Also listening to Motson you'd think they were robbed, more like played off the field.

Daxion
24/06/2004, 10:08 PM
Par for the course..........Ian Wr*ght was the worst pundit I've ever seen/heard..........

I agree, My heart Bleeds for them, NOT

Let's all sing to the tune of the Euro '96 theme

England's goin' home, England's goin' home, England's goin' home. :D

eirebhoy
24/06/2004, 10:10 PM
I'm delighted they're out but I'm not happy with how they went out. The English will think that disallowed goal is the reason they didn't win the tournament. I personally think it should have been disallowed as the keeper couldn't jump (or move) with two players on top of him. The view from behind the goal is the best view to show that.

slow2anger
24/06/2004, 10:21 PM
The English will think that disallowed goal is the reason they didn't win the tournament.
Let them think it. But surely soon they will realise they are just not good enough to win a tournament.

Way too many foreign players in the English league. Very poor manager....sitting on his backside the whole game. Didn't give a @@@@.

Isn't life great!

Condex
24/06/2004, 10:26 PM
Listening to Radio 5 live and a post match football phone in the arrogance of some of the England supporters is astounding, they were robbed and the ref was a cheat, more like their much vaunted midfield was totally overrun.

But not every English supporter is like this though I were playing indoor on Monday with a bunch of English lads (a mixture of black and white) and watched the Croatia game with a bunch of English had a great laugh.

tricky_colour
24/06/2004, 10:52 PM
I was quite surprised to find myself cheering when England equalised.
I am not sure why, maybe I just wanted to see a penalty shoot out.
Also there will be less interest in the tournement as there are no
no English speaking teams left.

I would much rather England lost in the final :D

I had backed England for a 3-0 win but I knew that was out the
window when Rooney went off.

Golden boy Beckham is a little tarnished now isn't he, two shockingly
bad penalities, his extra marital affairs and his fumblings on a hotel
balconey.

Rooney also added that extra bit of interest to the tournement, he
is the only English player to come of this with any credit.

You could see the Portugeese were really lifted when he went off.

eirebhoy
24/06/2004, 10:58 PM
tricky_colour, you seem to think you're anti-English but I don't think you are mate. ;) I'd never wish England to win a match, never mind get to the final. I certainly wouldn't put a bet on them winning 3-0, not only because it would mean I was cheering them on but because I wouldn't put Ireland on to beat Portugal 3-0 and I don't rate England over us. Good players, average team.

Metrostars
24/06/2004, 11:51 PM
England's midfield were shockingly poor. No creativity. They need wingers. Nice to see them skrew up again with penalties.

tricky_colour
25/06/2004, 12:15 AM
Eireboy, I did say I was surprised to find myself cheering (more of a YES! really).
I dont support England even though I live there.
Now England are out there is no team for me to support, or rather for me
to not support, so it will be less interesting for me and I lose out as a
spectator.

I went for 3-0 because it was 33-1, more than anything else and I could
afford to lose a £1 on it. (Als had 50p on 4-0).

When England went 1-0 up after a few minutes I thought I might be in
the money! (untill Rooney went off anyway).

Fortunately I also had £4 on a horse (Legal Set) at 9-2 which got me
£22 back :p

Basically now I have little interest in the outcome of the remaining matches
and I would rather see England go out at full strength with Rooney so there
can be no excuses.

I can no longer look forward to seeing them get beat :(

Jon'o
25/06/2004, 12:40 AM
I can no longer look forward to seeing them get beat :(

just add it to the collection of ''good old days'' :D good memorys

work should be fun for the next few days / weeks / months... more ''dont say a word'' shot in my direction, with my reply of ''don't need to your lads are shyte enough''

:D

tricky_colour
25/06/2004, 12:53 AM
I can remember gloating when England didn't qualify for the World Cup
and Ireland did.

I had many comforting words such as

"Well your team is so shyte it's a blessing they didn't qualify" :D

Macy
25/06/2004, 7:39 AM
The only pundit both here and on Radio 5 that had said that maybe it should've been disallowed was Steve Bunce. John Terry had his arm right over the keeper when they all went for the ball, and was holding the keeper down IMO - clear free out.

Countyman
25/06/2004, 8:16 AM
Did you see Postiga chip his peno in during sudden death.

How big are that mans balls??? :)

That took some bottle to try that. Added greatly to the whole occasion :D

Condex
25/06/2004, 8:18 AM
I was sitting in a London pub after the match trying to look glum, while laughing inside.

finlma
25/06/2004, 8:52 AM
I was in a pub in central London with a load of English and a few Irish. Us Irish had to try our best to look glum after they went out. I had to bite my tongue when Portugal scored. Work is an enjoyable place today, no one is talking about Rooney for a change.

Now I'll support Milan Baros all the way to the final cause I got him at 50/1 to be the leading scorer.

Dodge
25/06/2004, 9:07 AM
The only pundit both here and on Radio 5 that had said that maybe it should've been disallowed was Steve Bunce. John Terry had his arm right over the keeper when they all went for the ball, and was holding the keeper down IMO - clear free out.
On the highlights last night, Robbie Earle and Clive Allen both said at the time they thought it should have been allowed but on inspection "Terry did have arms on the keeper"

If it was the other way and have been allowed they'd be screaming for the ref's head for allowing it

PaulB
25/06/2004, 9:20 AM
Isn't life marvellous.. The BBC was great after, even hansen was blaming the ref! Ask for Garth Crooks talkign to Sven ' Sometimes it felt like we were playing 12 men, and one of them was swiss'. Nice one Garth..

The best midefiled in Europe, my arse..

concanta
25/06/2004, 9:29 AM
I also had a wager on Baros at 50/1 but the big danger is van nistelrooy

max power
25/06/2004, 9:31 AM
i watched the game in the outback bar in dublin which was full of portugal fans, what an atmosphere 150 of them cheering all the way through....

yes that was a free out, but on another point. Was the line clearence for portugal before rui costa scored, a goal or not ???? didn't see any replays

Junior
25/06/2004, 9:47 AM
Rooney also added that extra bit of interest to the tournement, he
is the only English player to come of this with any credit.

You could see the Portugeese were really lifted when he went off.

Have to disagree, Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole played well in all 4 of Englands games, Ronaldo didn't beat AC once last night (think he's an arrogant cnut by the way, but credit where it is due). Apart from that though the rest were very average, particularlry Gerard, Beckham & Scholes

Someone said they heard on the radio this morning, that the whistle was blown very early for the disallowed goal, i.e. before the crossbar effort so it was possibly for a push that happened before the keeper/terry incident. Anyone else hear this???

Thought Rui Costa played excellently when he came on.

Deco had a good game though seem to tire somewhat towards the end. I hadn't even heard of this guy until the Uefa Cup final v Celtic, now he has a Champions League medal and could potentially win a european championship winners medal with Portugal. A tidy / inventive player oh for an Irish midfielder with his technique!!!

petef
25/06/2004, 9:55 AM
Matt Holland anyone ;)

Is it just me or does Sven resort to camping in his own half and humping hopefull long balls against any teams that pose a threat. I discussed this at length amongst a few pals the other night, England would have a geat chance of doing something if they actually tried to play football and got a decent manager. Last night was such a mirror of the France game. Defend and punt. Sven is Jack Charlton in disguise! when in fact he actually has squad that are more than capable of playing great football!

tiktok
25/06/2004, 10:01 AM
yes that was a free out, but on another point. Was the line clearence for portugal before rui costa scored, a goal or not ???? didn't see any replays

they didn't show any replays :confused: , one of the guys brought it up at work this morning and we'd all forgotten about it. I'd like another look at it.

an English guy that works here was ranting about the free-out, he was quietened (albeit with a big angry head on him ;) ) when someone pointed out that Terry had been in an offside position from Owen's header and was certainly interfering with play after... "so justice was done" :D

carnstien
25/06/2004, 10:05 AM
Couldn't really give a ****e that England are out but one thing's for sure on last nights performace, with the exception of Rooney the entire England squad has about as much flair as Damien Duff's big toe.

The football they played was dire and Portugal deserved to go through for the sake of the tournement.

finlma
25/06/2004, 10:06 AM
The bitterness is unbelievable. The English in work are all going to Urs Meier's website and telling him what they think of the decision. It's great to watch.

loscherland
25/06/2004, 10:32 AM
All i'll say is HA ha ha ha HA HA HA!!!

http://www.foneblog.ie/o2/loscherland/ps/JOURNAL/VIEWWEBSITE?foneblog=1088159362874

Macy
25/06/2004, 10:52 AM
Ronaldo didn't beat AC once last night (think he's an arrogant cnut by the way, but credit where it is due).
Yeah, but to be up to the mark defensively he never got forward at all. Part of Englands problem was a lack of width - the cnut normally gives them that to a certain extent.

LFC in Exile
25/06/2004, 11:25 AM
Terry had been in an offside position from Owen's header

Spot on. I was roaring that at the telly for the night. England got what they deserved any way. Time to start the Sven Must Stay campaign?

eirebhoy
25/06/2004, 1:08 PM
Such bitter English fans. If anyone's in work ATM with a few English, show them these pics:
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/Image161.jpg
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/Image162.jpg
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/Image163.jpg
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/Image164.jpg
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/Image165.jpg

They were taken with a Nokia 6600 so are bad quality but you can see everything. They clearly show Ricardo was impeded.

Jon'o
25/06/2004, 9:25 PM
shock... england in plea for rematch

with france going out, its going to be even more gut renching for them :D NOW they'll say that they were stoped from winning it! and every one is against them :eek:

all together now

awwww :p

Duncan Gardner
26/06/2004, 11:38 AM
The bitterness is unbelievable

You said it, mate :)

1MickCollins
26/06/2004, 5:15 PM
On paper this was supposed to be the best England team in a long time, and by and large they a strong 1st 11 except James. Beckham was not on song and only a Mick McCarthy type manger would play Scholes on the left wing. Wake up England and dump the Swede.

Having said that I am glad England are out for the same reason that I am glad Germany, Spain, France & Italy are out, hopefully Holland are next to leave. I would have liked to see Denmark, Sweden & Czech Rep all get to the semi-finals, I'm tired of the England/Italy types who think they deserve to be in the final and whinge when they are beaten fair and square.

eirebhoy
26/06/2004, 6:46 PM
On paper this was supposed to be the best England team in a long time, and by and large they a strong 1st 11 except James. Beckham was not on song and only a Mick McCarthy type manger would play Scholes on the left wing. Wake up England and dump the Swede.
Sven's biggest mistake is not playing a holding midfielder. Butt and King were unavailable for at least one match but he wouldn't have played them anyway. They are the only team I can think of that doesn't play with one.

1MickCollins
27/06/2004, 4:33 PM
Are you saying Gerrard could not be a holding midfielder? If Jack Charlton were manager Gerrard would play a holding role and silly business mate. Sven is hugely over-rated, I'm a firm believer in the manager being the most important cog in any team and he has let the team down with poor decisions and weak leadership. Not that I am too put out by that of course :D

eirebhoy
28/06/2004, 1:04 PM
Are you saying Gerrard could not be a holding midfielder? If Jack Charlton were manager Gerrard would play a holding role and silly business mate. Sven is hugely over-rated, I'm a firm believer in the manager being the most important cog in any team and he has let the team down with poor decisions and weak leadership. Not that I am too put out by that of course :D
1. Sven didn't play Gerrard as a holding midfielder.
2. Playing Gerrard as a holding midfielder would be a waste of the guys talents.
3. If he was played as a holding midfielder I don't think he'd sit back for the 90 minutes, he'd get forward to often, therefore get caught out.

A holding midfielder is a player that sits behind the back 4 and rarely ever gets into a shooting chance. Perfect examples would be Makelele, Neil Lennon, Hamman, Galasek.

drinkfeckarse
28/06/2004, 1:53 PM
Sven's biggest mistake is not playing a holding midfielder.

How can you say that? The tans problem was that they played with TOO MANY holding midfielders! They consistently played with everyone behind the ball when defending. Look at the France and Portugal matches...as soon as they scored they sat back for the rest of the game with their midfield sitting too deep thus forcing the back 4 to play on the 18 yard line all the time. Fair enough they mightn't be known as holding midfielders but that's basically how they played.

parnell ranger
28/06/2004, 3:41 PM
How can you say that? The tans problem was that they played with TOO MANY holding midfielders! They consistently played with everyone behind the ball when defending. Look at the France and Portugal matches...as soon as they scored they sat back for the rest of the game with their midfield sitting too deep thus forcing the back 4 to play on the 18 yard line all the time. Fair enough they mightn't be known as holding midfielders but that's basically how they played.

their problem was they were forced to defend from midfield and couldnt cut it.

drinkfeckarse
28/06/2004, 3:46 PM
their problem was they were forced to defend from midfield and couldnt cut it.

Their problem was that they were negative and payed for it.

Junior
28/06/2004, 4:41 PM
Yeah, but to be up to the mark defensively he never got forward at all. Part of Englands problem was a lack of width - the cnut normally gives them that to a certain extent.

Ashley Cole didn't get forward as much as the 3 group games, but defending is the priority of the full back and that he did very well. After all in a 4-4-2, the attacking onus should be placed on the midfielder not the fullback IMO.