PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we're getting a new home shirt just in time for the Croatia game...

Pages : [1] 2

BonnieShels
25/06/2011, 12:42 AM
http://www.faishop.com/newad.jpg

http://www.faishop.com/

boovidge
25/06/2011, 1:08 AM
How many games did we play in the last one?

DannyInvincible
25/06/2011, 4:04 AM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/poguemahone85/jerseys.png

Very minimalist.

DannyInvincible
25/06/2011, 4:19 AM
How many games did we play in the last one?

Did we first wear the current one against Brazil in London? If that's the case, we've had it about a year and a half and have worn it twelve times, by my count. The only exceptions were two games where we wore the white (Wales and Macedonia away) and two games where we wore the black (Scotland and Italy). The new sponsors, Three, came on board at the start of August in 2010 so if you want to exclude those games where Eircom would have been the sponsors on the fans' replica shirts (Brazil, Paraguay and Algeria), it'd be nine games.

Edit: Yeah, we've worn it twelve times, according to this (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101860:new-umbro-republic-of-ireland-home-kit-announced&catid=1:senior-men&Itemid=8).

Umbro Ireland in association with the FAI and Three mobile are delighted to announce the launch of the 2011/2012 Ireland Home kit. The kit will go on-sale exclusively from the Umbro Store on Westmoreland Street in Dublin on July 7th and country wide on July 13th. The new home kit will replace the current "tailored by umbro" classic which was worn 12 times since its launch in February 2010. The kit will be worn for the first time in the Republic of Ireland's friendly game against Croatia in the Aviva Stadium in August.

Commenting on the new kit Jonathan Courtenay Director of Football at Umbro Ireland said "the current home kit has been extremely popular but we know we have something even better for 2011/12 and hopefully with a few more wins this new kit will be seen on the boys in Poland and Ukraine next summer. As with the current home kit, when we looked to the 50s and 60s for design insight the new kit takes some inspiration from the past, this time from the late 70s and early 80s. Obviously we cannot go into too much detail as of yet but stay tuned to the Umbro Ireland Facebook and @UmbroIreland twitter pages for updates. The kit looks fantastic on the players who tried it on before the recent Macedonia game and we had really positive feedback from them at the kit photo-shoot. The full kit reveal will be made in the Umbro Store, by Umbro social media, the FAI website and the Three mobile football facebook page along with national media on Thursday July 7".

Inspiration?:

http://media.tribune.ie/site_media/photologue/photos/2010/Oct/23/cache/Brady_Ireland043498_display.jpg

SwanVsDalton
25/06/2011, 12:22 PM
The current home kit has been extremely popular but we know we have something even better for 2011/12 and hopefully with a few more wins this new kit will be seen on the boys in Poland and Ukraine next summer.

Blatant lie surely. We're bound to have a new kit if we qualify.

dotts101
25/06/2011, 4:16 PM
this is ridiculous, the frequency at which the FAI are releasing jerseys is unjust to the irish supporter wanting to support their country in the latest kit. i stopped getting evry jersey a few years back because of the frequency. im lucky, nearly bought the new, i mean old one the other day to finish the campaign for. and when we qualify they will have another new one and another for the beginning of the WC campaign

dotts101
25/06/2011, 4:17 PM
when is that draw for the WC campaign btw?

BonnieShels
25/06/2011, 4:23 PM
I don't understand why people complain about this. Sure its annoying but no one is forcing people to purchase the latest kit.

As regards it being unjust? That's a slight exaggeration don't ya think?

AlaskaFox
25/06/2011, 5:12 PM
The stripes behind the crest don't look aligned. That better not be the case.

SkStu
25/06/2011, 6:25 PM
when is that draw for the WC campaign btw?

end of July i believe.

edit: July 30th according to this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification

DannyInvincible
25/06/2011, 6:40 PM
The stripes behind the crest don't look aligned. That better not be the case.

I'm sure the curvature or perceived lack of alignment is an illusion that can be explained by the jersey having been photographed as it hugs tightly the chiselled pectoral muscle of a plastic bust. It's a romantic process, this tailoring by Umbro.

SkStu
25/06/2011, 7:53 PM
I'm sure the curvature or perceived lack of alignment is an illusion that can be explained by the jersey having been photographed as it hugs tightly the chiselled pectoral muscle of a plastic bust. It's a romantic process, this tailoring by Umbro.

haha classic DI. :D

was thinking the same earlier - the old fashioned spool of fabric, a scattering of buttons, the tailors measure tape, the pins. So quaint, so authentic, so "made in a Taiwanese sweat shop"! :)

Fixer82
25/06/2011, 11:31 PM
They'll hark back to a bygone era no doubt. Possible the late 70s/early 80s O'Neill's style or maybe even something like Euro 88. It won't be anything new anyway. It's a long time since there's been anything original in music or fashion.

I can see the Man United laces in the collar look coming back soon too.
Mark my '4 bottles of Miller' words!!!

the bear
25/06/2011, 11:59 PM
my 8 bottles of miller likes the sound of the lace collar coming back

the bear
26/06/2011, 12:08 AM
thanks for reminding me fixer . i had left the rest of the bottles in the freezer. close one

ArdeeBhoy
26/06/2011, 12:18 AM
Just don't buy them, get a retro shirt, training top or 'leisure' shirt instead. Football shirts on most adults, except when they're trying to play yourself/themselves look ridiculous anyway.

Lionel Ritchie
26/06/2011, 12:48 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/poguemahone85/jerseys.png

Very minimalist.

Vintage Leeds. Are the FAI and Umbro bringing back sock tags as well?

Yard of Pace
26/06/2011, 7:34 PM
I don't understand why people complain about this. Sure its annoying but no one is forcing people to purchase the latest kit.

As regards it being unjust? That's a slight exaggeration don't ya think?

Completely agree! 5 pages of people giving out about it on ybig.ie. It's insanity. I couldn't care less if they changed the shirt for every game if they wanted. Anyone who feels the need to always have the latest jersey needs to grow up. And if it's because their kids pester them for it, if they can't just say no or can't explain why they can't have it, they again need to grow the **** up. Sheer madness. I think it was even a topic on Liveline one day!

CraftyToePoke
26/06/2011, 8:04 PM
I think its a bit cynical, there is an awareness that people an be pressurised, primarily, through their kids into buying it, its cold. Its all very well to say they should grow up until you have your child pleading with you beacuse his friend has one. Its the deliberate targeting of that which leaves a sour taste, and particularly when parents may not be flush with disposable income just now.

Perhaps thats wide eyed of me, and yes, people can chose not to buy it, but its the manouvering of the target market into that situation which they are vulnerable to because of a love of the team, and their nation, which I feel people are reacting against.

CraftyToePoke
26/06/2011, 8:38 PM
Blatant lie surely. We're bound to have a new kit if we qualify.

Id lay a pound to a penny there would be a new one. Surely they couldnt pass that up, I mean it would very much against the grain and nature of a marketing dept of an outfit like Umbro not to.

DannyInvincible
26/06/2011, 9:11 PM
Jonathan Courtenay, the managing director of Umbro Ireland says on YBIG that we'll be wearing this new jersey in Poland and Ukraine, guaranteed: http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30640&KW=&PID=662939&title=ireland-home-kit-2011-12#662939

Just so long as we qualify.

Yard of Pace
26/06/2011, 9:24 PM
I think its a bit cynical, there is an awareness that people an be pressurised, primarily, through their kids into buying it, its cold. Its all very well to say they should grow up until you have your child pleading with you beacuse his friend has one. Its the deliberate targeting of that which leaves a sour taste, and particularly when parents may not be flush with disposable income just now.

Perhaps thats wide eyed of me, and yes, people can chose not to buy it, but its the manouvering of the target market into that situation which they are vulnerable to because of a love of the team, and their nation, which I feel people are reacting against.

When I was a kid I wanted plenty of things that my friends had. I was usually told no! I'm glad now I was and I'll be the same with my son if he's demanding something unreasonable. And if he wants a new Ireland jersey every year he'll be told to cop on and be happy with the Euro 88 jersey I've saved for him! New season, new jersey, I see no problem with it and if people can't parent, that ain't Umbro's fault. They're a business. And there's plenty of people who do have money and will have no problem buying the jersey.

Charlie Darwin
26/06/2011, 9:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current shirt has been used for over a year, doesn't that mean it changes less often than any Premier League club's shirt?

Crosby87
26/06/2011, 10:03 PM
So will I be able to buy one with no sponsor on it?

BonnieShels
26/06/2011, 11:56 PM

That's absolute over-talked crap.
If a parent can't handle their kids' wants then that's not umbro's fault.
My best mate got the 1990 wc shirt when we were 6/7... the first
Ireland shirt I got was the first umbro one aka the last Charlton one and no amount of pleading was gonna force my mam and dad to create money to get any of the other ones they couldn't afford.

CraftyToePoke
27/06/2011, 12:24 AM
That's absolute over talked ********

Is that necessary?

I also had one Ireland shirt around the same era and as far as my parents were concerned, that was that box ticked. For good. But its not the same for everyone and peer and social pressures do make people, quite wrongly, feel they need their kids to have these things. And corporate giants ruthlessly tuning into that, especially through loyal sport fanbases, and children, (and it this case a lovely mix of both) is part of modern society I dont really like too much.

I dont feel thats an opinion which deserves an expletive led response, whether you share it or not.

Lionel Ritchie
27/06/2011, 7:43 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current shirt has been used for over a year, doesn't that mean it changes less often than any Premier League club's shirt?

Not quite an accurate of fair comparison Charlie. Ireland don't play in a year on year league for starters. Though arguably an anomaly, they also released a jersey in Feb 2010 when Ireland we're "between competitions" only to re-release it with a new sponsor 6 months later. More interesting and telling would be a comparison with how frequently other international sides of whatever profile renew their strips. I suspect we'd be on the upper end of the arc.

BonnieShels
27/06/2011, 8:32 AM
Is that necessary?

I also had one Ireland shirt around the same era and as far as my parents were concerned, that was that box ticked. For good. But its not the same for everyone and peer and social pressures do make people, quite wrongly, feel they need their kids to have these things. And corporate giants ruthlessly tuning into that, especially through loyal sport fanbases, and children, (and it this case a lovely mix of both) is part of modern society I dont really like too much.

I dont feel thats an opinion which deserves an expletive led response, whether you share it or not.

It didn't and I apologize. Heineken will do that.
I still don't buy into the whole premise of the big bad multinational corporation are out to cod parents.

At the end of the day the soccer jersey of your national team or any team is a serious luxury and if you can't instill that into your child then its not umbro's fault.

It's too easy to explain away bad parenting as the result of pressure from companies. If its that much of a problem, then turn off tv!

Charlie Darwin
27/06/2011, 2:54 PM
Not quite an accurate of fair comparison Charlie. Ireland don't play in a year on year league for starters. Though arguably an anomaly, they also released a jersey in Feb 2010 when Ireland we're "between competitions" only to re-release it with a new sponsor 6 months later. More interesting and telling would be a comparison with how frequently other international sides of whatever profile renew their strips. I suspect we'd be on the upper end of the arc.
Right but if it's purely a money thing it doesn't matter how many games the team plays.

CraftyToePoke
27/06/2011, 5:20 PM
It didn't and I apologize. Heineken will do that.

Fair enough. Bygones.

dotts101
27/06/2011, 11:24 PM
i like to get the new 1s to be up to date but then take advantage of swapping the older 1 with away fans as a good gesture and respect

BonnieShels
06/07/2011, 6:09 PM
Right, I've seen it. It does indeed look like an 80s O'neills special.

Will get a pic up as soon as I get home unless someone on ybig beats me to it.

EastTerracer
06/07/2011, 9:31 PM
Right, I've seen it. It does indeed look like an 80s O'neills special.

Will get a pic up as soon as I get home unless someone on ybig beats me to it.

Kelvin on ybig got there before you - i've linked to his photo below. Not too impressed with the jersey myself. I think the retro O'Neills one is much nicer.

http://i56.tinypic.com/ic4tj4.jpg

BonnieShels
06/07/2011, 10:01 PM
I have to.say its much nicer in the flesh tbh than in pics. Bought my 10 yo bro one and he love it.

Still think the last shirt.is our best since the first umbro in 1996 or the Italia 90 one.

boovidge
06/07/2011, 11:40 PM
maybe it'll look better without the sponsor?

DannyInvincible
07/07/2011, 1:11 AM

That '3' logo would nearly have you crying for a return of the 'eircom' blob. It looks kind of strange. Like a Meath gaelic jersey. Which is probably not that surprising considering it seems largely influenced by that O'Neill's one from 1983-84.

Is the jersey now on sale then?

DannyInvincible
07/07/2011, 3:03 AM
Actually, scratch mention of it having been influenced by a Meath GAA jersey; we've clearly just poached a NI jersey.

http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/shirts/251/thumbs/football_shirt_262_1_500x400x0.jpg

BonnieShels
07/07/2011, 7:05 AM
Of course it will. Unfortunately you or I won't be able to get one without the sponsor.

elroy
07/07/2011, 8:12 AM
I wonder is it worth much to the FAI by having the sponsor printed on all replica kits??

If I was in umbro, I be of the opinion that we'd sell alot more of the jerseys if they were without the logo.

BonnieShels
07/07/2011, 9:48 AM
It all depends on the deal signed by the FAI and three.

tetsujin1979
07/07/2011, 9:49 AM
I wonder is it worth much to the FAI by having the sponsor printed on all replica kits??

If I was in umbro, I be of the opinion that we'd sell alot more of the jerseys if they were without the logo.
probably, but would there be enough sold for the FAI to make up the difference in lost sponsorship money?

Kingdom
07/07/2011, 10:49 AM
Great call on the Meath 1990 jersey, ringer for it. Don't like it myself, the O'Neill's retro is a better look.

I get the feeling the same "samples" cough, cough, splutter, that some of us acquired with no sponsor won't be available anymore. Pity.

jbyrne
07/07/2011, 12:06 PM
it looks better here i think..

edit:

just noticed that you can get man utd, everton etc retro shirts on that site. the fai site.... what on earth?????

DannyInvincible
07/07/2011, 6:11 PM
it looks better here i think..

edit:

just noticed that you can get man utd, everton etc retro shirts on that site. the fai site.... what on earth?????

The Ireland jersey does actually look quite nice there.

But no Liverpool ones!? For fu...

DannyInvincible
07/07/2011, 6:12 PM
I love this, but I think it's only an underlayer-type garment:

http://www.faishop.com/images/zoom/l_71215UPINEGRN.jpg

BonnieShels
07/07/2011, 8:20 PM
It is Danny. I was gonna buy it from the site but then when I went into westmoreland st it was most definitely not a purchase. It's just an undershirt.

tetsujin1979
07/07/2011, 11:44 PM
one of the posters on the football365 forum removed the 3 logo from the new jersey using Photoshop, and came up with this
http://i53.tinypic.com/2aikiyr.jpg
Which is quite nice looking IMO

boovidge
08/07/2011, 12:49 AM
the rubbish logo still doesnt suit it but thats much better.

DannyInvincible
08/07/2011, 12:59 AM
Definitely a lot better without the logo.

It is Danny. I was gonna buy it from the site but then when I went into westmoreland st it was most definitely not a purchase. It's just an undershirt.

Was considering getting it myself, but is it like vest material? Or thinner even than that?

BonnieShels
08/07/2011, 7:12 AM
Danny, its that stretchy polyester type material.