PDA

View Full Version : Greg?

SSS
24/06/2004, 5:42 PM
What's the story folks?
We all know Greg isn't very patient when he's dropped, but can he really have flared up again so soon after signing a new contract?

There are two issues here - is he acting immaturely after being dropped, and should he have been dropped at all.

I think he is better than Lordan (but not better than Hoggie) and should have kept his place, particularly when Lordan is just coming back from injury. Lordan wasn't even fit enough for the game against Limerick but was fit next time out - not even a game on the bench.
I will admit though that in the last two games that he played, Greg was not at his best...

jofyisgod
24/06/2004, 5:49 PM
I doubt even Greg is mad enough to start something just after re-signing.
I was talking to one of the players before this season, and he hinted at a feud, but didn't actually say it. He said he was 'suprised' and 'Pat must have a problem with Greg to drop him' , etc. :confused: Take it as you will.
You'd think they'd get on-both passionate about City. Strange. Greg should be in for Sunday IMO.

thecorner
24/06/2004, 6:06 PM
big bust up with dolan again

niamh
24/06/2004, 7:24 PM
All speculation really.
I think Lordan did well against Bohs. Made some good interventions. Didn't see the Malmo game.
Was good to read in the programme as well that Hoggie's recovery is moving along nicely though.

Schunter Netz
25/06/2004, 12:04 AM
Greg is not up to it really. A couple of good games based on ferocious effort is as much as he can muster. But his touch is crap, his vision is non-existent and when he can see a pass... he can't make it. He's old school, and the level required to be good enough for Cork City now is beyond Greg. Lets not forget also that when push comes to shove and the temperature rises, Greg is a grade A thug we can do without. Onwards and upwards. Lordan has a future and Dolan knows it.

Schunter Netz
25/06/2004, 12:08 AM
Oh, and I should have mentioned Colin O'Brien. He might have been in the same boat but for the huge improvement he made this year, which has been appreciated by everybody on here and everyone who goes to the Cross. The lesson for Greg is that the game has moved on and to survive he has to re-learn how to play ball - literally.

eastcork
25/06/2004, 10:19 AM
well said!

TheNorthsider
26/06/2004, 2:06 PM
looking at the extremely limited highlights of the malmo game and i hate being critical of anyone on such a great occassion but for the malmo goal which i think could prove very costly cillian lordon stood about 4 feet off the guy who scored, he never challanged he stood and watched.While he would never have cleanly won the header he could have at least put a challange in and tried to put the guy off.This i feel is lordans main area where he has to brush up on as i think he is very prone to ball watching and gives people too much room.From the games i have seen him play he is constantly being picked out as a week link by opposing teams and kevin doyle doesnt combine very well with him.He for me is a bit off being a regular player with city.As for the stupid statement regarding greg being a class a thug then what do u say to describe danny murphy.For too many years city have been too light weight i think the likes of greg and danny put the fear of god into people even b4 a ball is kicked, we could do with someone in the middle of the park willing to do the same.

ccfcman
26/06/2004, 4:07 PM
ditto on that 1,greg is class at times

GavinZac
26/06/2004, 6:07 PM
lordan played very well for the rest of the game, his opposition winger, the lightening quick elonga, was switched to the other wing.

Gary
27/06/2004, 8:21 AM
Ya, Greg is great, he can do no wrong.

So why is it then that once he gets a game, its the same ppl who say he isnt up to it.

Lordan didnt have a great game against Bohs, but had a stormer against Mamo. To finger point anyone for the Malmo goal is silly. They were pressing, City invited them to attack. It was only a matter of when, not if.

But that said, some fellas reckon all goals come from a mistake.

TheNorthsider
27/06/2004, 9:45 AM
I made an observation as to Lordans part in the malmo goal gary and that was I felt he was ball watching.As to lay the blame solely for the goal on Lordan I wouldn't do that.But the point I'm trying to make is that I feel this is a major problem with Cillian Lordan is he tends to ball watch therefore giving his opposing player way too much room.I personally feel greg is a better option until hoggie is fully fit but then again I don't pick the team.I think the whole thing as regarding greg does have a feel as if there is some sort of a clash between him and dolan.